Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanted: Yard Boy

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wanted:  Yard Boy Empty Wanted: Yard Boy Sat May 11, 2013 1:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I need a yard boy. Or yard girl. I don't care if it's a trained monkey, I just don't want to be the one to be breaking up dead grass and raking it out of the lawn. I have a little tiny area of what use to be lovely, green grass that got attacked by something called cinch bugs, or some such creature. The lawn spraying people tell me the problem is solved so then the cutting man told me to get some St. Augustine plugs to replant in the area.

He said it as if it was a breeze to do. Getting rid of the dead grass is a PITA - and hard for a novice lawn woman to do. I mean, I've done my share of lawn mowing - I was the one to work a few weeks longer at a construction site just so I could have extra money to buy a riding lawn mower. But this manual labor stuff is not what I signed on for.

Amazingly, when I was raking the dead grass away from the edge of the driveway I found TWO sprinkler heads that had been buried for a very long time, from the looks of the amount of grass that had grown over them. So, I'm learning lots of wonderful things. Things I really didn't care to learn, but it's probably a good thing for me to know so I can show someone else (when he gets here....) so HE can attend to them!

Now that I've raked the dead out I'm going to see if I can get the area watered to hold down the sand/dust and then I'll go out in the cooler morning hours tomorrow and plant the grass plugs I bought today.

2Wanted:  Yard Boy Empty Re: Wanted: Yard Boy Sun May 12, 2013 11:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, the St. Augustine grass plugs are in the ground, watered in and stomped on to get ride of air pockets and get good soil contact.

Only problem is, I think I need about 12 more flats of the stuff for the size area I have to re-plant. But, I think I'm going to let it go for right now and see if what I planted takes off or if it just dies because the insect spray people were wrong about the pests being destroyed. The cost of the flats of grass plugs is not that much ~ but the personal labor of crawling around to dig/stuff/cover is more than I want to repeat if it's a futile idea.

If this grass dies then I'm going to call someone to install landscape rock like 98% of the other property owners in this villa community.

Either that or I'll go buy about 10 cans of green spray paint. That ought to get the neighbors' attention when they stop with their dogs. lol

3Wanted:  Yard Boy Empty Re: Wanted: Yard Boy Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

when I lived in Scottsdale AZ. no one had grass. stones .seems to me when I had grass in Fla it was rye grass.Or no grass at all.The last condo I had ,had lawn care & I did nothing. It was really green,like carpet.IDK.
I don't do yard work ..

4Wanted:  Yard Boy Empty Re: Wanted: Yard Boy Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
I don't do yard work ..

and I want to be JUST LIKE YOU !!!!

lol

5Wanted:  Yard Boy Empty Re: Wanted: Yard Boy Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

[color=indigo][/colorBeth, I vote for the green paint..it is so much easier--except when it chips or fade--but then you can touch up and it will be varigated rye grass! Twisted Evil ]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum