Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I texted neighbor Samantha to see if she wanted to go to the Farmers' Market with me this morning ~ and, of course she wanted to go!

I was finally ready to buy some mushrooms ~ decided to make a mushroom ragout on papparadelle pasta for supper.  I figure that's a great way to use a variety of mushrooms and really be able to appreciate the taste.  We'll see......

I ended up with $20 box ~ easily enough for two or 3 meals.  Well, I just found out there's enough for 4 or 6 meals ~ HE just said, "I'm NOT eating those....."  (( geesh! ))

I did have a chance to ask what the growing medium is ~ It looks like little compressed bales wrapped in plastic wrap.  The young man who sells them said it's soybean shells and oak wood shavings.  Hmmmm, much better than 'sterilized manure'

I even remembered to go to the 'fresh' pasta lady and got 1/2 pound of dry pappardelle so I don't have to make it.

Box of mushrooms:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 20_wor10

Large grey oyster mushrooms:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Big_oy10

The ones I forgot the name of (Maybe Chestnut Mushrooms?):

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Forgot10

Lion's Head Mushrooms:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Lion_s10

More Oyster Mushrooms:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Oyster10

Coral Mushrooms:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Coral_10

Imelda HL likes this post

NormM

NormM

I have never had any interest in smoking a bird before. Probably because I once had a smoked turkey at a Church social and didn't like it. But now I think it was the fault of the kind of smoke used that I didn't like. I want to try some things different this year. One was to do a chicken the other is to do a chuck roast.
Before I got the chicken, I looked in the Cool Smoke cookbook to see if he had a recipe for a whole chicken. He did but I didn't really look at it until after I got the chicken. That is when I found out that it was a involved version of beer can chicken. First there was a brine that took two days to make and another day to marinate the chicken. Finally it was cooked at 400º while sitting on a beer can.

There is two problems with that. First I don't think my smoker will get that hot. My grill might but if I put a chicken sitting up, I won't be able to close the lid on either one.

So I did this: I put a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning in two Tablespoons of softened butter and rubbed it inside the chicken and over and under the skin. I smoked if for about 1 hour, 15 minutes at 325-350º and sprayed it with a solution of 2 tablespoons of sugar dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water then added 5 tablespoons of lemon juice. It turned out lightly smoked with a hint of lemon and very juicy.
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Img_0919

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your experience is serving you well, Norm.

Like I always say, a 'recipe' is just a springboard to give you ideas of what might & might not work. You much preferred using your available time & equipment to your best advantage.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE doesn't know what he missed ~ but, quite honestly, he doesn't feel all that great (he had another 'medical procedure' on Wednesday and that makes today 'DAY 3'....he'll feel crummy for the next 3 - 4 days and then it'll get better (I hope).

But, hey, I'M HAPPY WITH MY MEAL!

I tore the mixed mushrooms, discarding any stems that seemed tough. Why take chances? I browned the mushrooms in olive oil & butter and added a sliced shallot & some chopped English thyme. I deglazed the pan with some dry white wine and let it almost completely evaporate before adding some of my homemade chicken stock, allowing that to reduce as well ~ actually added more so that I would have enough 'sauce' to finish the papparadelle in. Lastly, I added a couple spoons of Vermont Creme Fraiche ~ it really adds a nice creamy finish without the 'bite/sour' of sour cream. Finally, I let the cooked papparadelle finish for the last 3 minutes or so and it really absorbed a lot of the sauce.

The finished dish was really good. I will eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow for sure! It was interesting that the mushrooms & papparadelle had very similar texture and 'bite' and complimented one another nicely.

The pictures are just a photo journal of my meal cooking:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 1_saut10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 2_brow10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 3_dry_10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 4_verm10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 5_crem10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 6_papp10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 7_papp10

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:HE doesn't know what he missed ~ but, quite honestly, he doesn't feel all that great (he had another 'medical procedure' on Wednesday and that makes today 'DAY 3'....he'll feel crummy for the next 3 - 4 days and then it'll get better (I hope).

But, hey, I'M HAPPY WITH MY MEAL!

I tore the mixed mushrooms, discarding any stems that seemed tough.  Why take chances?  I browned the mushrooms in olive oil & butter and added a sliced shallot & some chopped English thyme.  I deglazed the pan with some dry white wine and let it almost completely evaporate before adding some of my homemade chicken stock, allowing that to reduce as well ~ actually added more so that I would have enough 'sauce' to finish the papparadelle in.  Lastly, I added a couple spoons of Vermont Creme Fraiche ~ it really adds a nice creamy finish without the 'bite/sour' of sour cream.  Finally, I let the cooked papparadelle finish for the last 3 minutes or so and it really absorbed a lot of the sauce.

The finished dish was really good.  I will eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow for sure!  It was interesting that the mushrooms & papparadelle had very similar texture and 'bite' and complimented one another nicely.

The pictures are just a photo journal of my meal cooking:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 1_saut10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 2_brow10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 3_dry_10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 4_verm10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 5_crem10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 6_papp10

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 7_papp10

Hey Beth…I have a recipe for mushroom paprikash that’s really good. Let me know if you want it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

Hey Beth…I have a recipe for mushroom paprikash that’s really good. Let me know if you want it. [/quote]

Thanks, Judy, but I also have one that I've made a couple times and we enjoy. I keep thinking I should make it but then I also think I want to hoard my Hungarian Paprika my friend brought back from her visit to Hungary.....LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Greek string beans cooked in tomato sauce, olive oil, and onions.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No rain today so it was a perfect day for grilled burgers.....

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_28_21

Cookin Lore

Oh, how I miss grilled burgers!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pan fried “crappie” fish, caught by my fishing sons; crinkle cut potatoes, Delicata squash, tomato, cucumber slices with feta."

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_28_22

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I must inject a little note here..... Tina made me cod fish cooked in a butter / wine sauce. I'm now sipping the Tea that Beth asked me to try for digestive issues. It is a relaxing tea. So far, it works .Thank you Beth

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Germans are big on camomile tea for digestive issues. I don't like it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I must inject a little note here..... Tina made me cod fish cooked in a butter / wine sauce. I'm now sipping the Tea that Beth asked me to try for digestive issues. It is a relaxing tea. So far, it works .Thank you Beth

I hope it helps your gut issues.....Dane says it agrees with him and drinks it whenever he feels the first symptoms flare up.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked all over to find natural casing hot dogs. I ended up at Publix and asked at the deli counter if they had 'casing franks'. The woman there looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language....she obviously was born & raised in Florida where casing hot dogs weren't the norm when she was growing up. I finally found them ~ actually a number of different brands ~ in the packaged sausage/hot dog area of the meat department.

And the best part was, because of the holiday, they were all on sale at BOGO! Woo Hoo! I ended up with the Nathan's brand ~ they're the closest I can find to the Dinner Bell brand I grew up with.

This morning I steamed some eggs and made a small dish of potato salad. I have Jimmy's Greek Chili Sauce thawed. I picked up some tomatoes at the farmers' market on Saturday and I think I'll slice one (I hope it's ripe and not with green seeds).

I hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day meal today.

NormM

NormM

I found some sausage casings at Bass Pro/ Cabelas sporting goods store. One part of it sells smokers, grinders, stuffers, casings, cookware, etc.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I'm sure I could find sausage casings in Ohio, as well. But that's because of the huge Eastern European immigrant population. I can remember my Grandfather, who was raised there, owned an alfalfa dehydrating mill and hired many Polish & Hungarian immigrants to work when it was hay cutting season.

They all raised cattle & hogs and made & processed lots of sausages.

However, I have NO desire to make sausage or hot dogs ~ but I will drive an hour one way if I hear of a really good one sold in a different area! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_29_14

A couple years ago I sent DD#1 a Peppermate Pepper Grinder.  She used it and liked it but she also had another she likes as well.  I was talking with her and said I was thinking of ordering one for myself as I didn't have a decent grinder and she suggested she just bring it to me as she really doesn't need two ~ so now I have one!

It's a nice grinder ~ you can choose how fine or course you want your pepper to be.  It's the same one I've seen Jacques & Ina use on their programs so I know I'm in good company with this piece.

Tonight I made casing hot dogs with Jimmy's Greek Coney Island sauce ~ along with some potato salad and sliced tomato.  It's just like years ago when Memorial Day was the day to 'start' summer!  I didn't bother asking for a grill ~ only needed 3 hot dogs so the broiler of the Breville Toaster Oven was just fine.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_29_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had way way too ,much for the celebration.
We had large hot dogs, and small baby mini hot dogs. 2 racks of ribs. 1/4 Lb. Burgers; Corn on the cob, zucchini, baked beans with grated apple added. Mac and Cheese DIL Made. White Cake (w) white Butter Cream Icing......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made the Mediterranean Chicken Salad for supper.

Again.

What can I say? It's easy, it's tasty and I know it's easy on his system.

But I have to admit ~ I'm getting tired of it. I had everything in the refrigerator so it was easy to choose what to fix ~ and the vegetables were in need of being used so they didn't go 'south' just laying around.

And he seemed to like it tonight so I'm thinking he's been eating stuff he shouldn't but wants to see if it bothers him....kind of 'test' meals.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_30_14

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Yes, I'm sure I could find sausage casings in Ohio, as well.  But that's because of the huge Eastern European immigrant population.  I can remember my Grandfather, who was raised there, owned an alfalfa dehydrating mill and hired many Polish & Hungarian immigrants to work when it was hay cutting season.

They all raised cattle & hogs and made & processed lots of sausages.

However, I have NO desire to make sausage or hot dogs ~ but I will drive an hour one way if I hear of a really good one sold in a different area!  LOL

Likewise where I lived before I moved back to the KC area. There was a small town near there that had a groundhog feed. Ground Hog... sausage. It was on groundhog day and they sold it. People came from miles around.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm.....I can only imagine.........LOL

Ewwwwwwww!

I know they had pork sausage but I just pictured furry, nasty groundhogs being made into sausage......Hahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Funny thing after reading above ground hog stories.....
I was looking out back, and a rather small one started to walk up from the wooded area, and I just laughed remembering how once or twice a year, mom would have her brother shoot one, and she would cook it. It is good, but a lot of fat. Mom trimmed a lot of the fat off... She soaked the meat in baking soda solution for like 2 hours. It took out the gamey taste.
They used to say, "Italians will cook anything; as long as its in tomato sauce!" LOL

Anyway.... we had BLT'S tonight for supper.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I bought tomatoes at the Farmers' Market on Saturday.....I still had two sitting on the counter. So supper was decided. It's time to use the tomatoes. They were much too expensive to let even one go to waste. I did have fried green tomatoes for my brunch today ~ and I loved every bite!

So, tonight was BLATs....I didn't realize there was still a ripe avocado in the refrigerator until HE mentioned it. So, it got cut into thirds (HE gets two sandwiches, I get one....) and it worked out perfectly to have no leftovers except for some of the cucumber/onion salad.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 05_31_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina crossed the bridge into PA today, and did shopping in Sams Club in Easton, PA
She brought back a rotisserie chicken. Soon as I pulled it out of the container I took a tug on the leg,
and it didn't easily pull out, and it had some pink at the joints.... zzzzzip! right in the oven I threw it.
I have it cooking at 220 F for a couple hours.🐓
I MAY have a little; and if not, I will have something else.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie made out the menu tonight. He asked for grilled chicken, French fries, mac&cheese and a salad.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 6 Img_0921

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum