Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Feel better soon, Jimmy.

More soup.

More water.

More naps.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Feel better soon, Jimmy.

More soup.

More water.

More naps.

Thank you..... Now it's time for a hot milk with honey and butter.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally had an opportunity to go to the Farmers' Market here in The Villages today.  I'm trying to figure out how to switch our ladies' lunch back to Friday after the ladies decided they liked Saturday better.  The only conflict is a couple ladies play Mah Jong on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. so I'm thinking maybe changing lunch to Fridays at noon....

Then I won't have to be conflicted about wanting to go to the Farmers' Market on the only day it's available.

I didn't buy much today ~ just a few ripe tomatoes and one perfectly UN-ripe green tomato.  That's going to be my lunch one day this week!  I don't make fried green tomatoes often but I enjoy every bite when I do.  LOL

And since I have some nice looking tomatoes (I'm hoping they're nice ~ won't know until I slice into them.....) we're having BLT's.  I've got my woven bacon in the oven right now and will reheat/crisp it in the microwave before we eat.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_06_14

I also steamed some eggs to make deviled eggs ~ the BEST way to cook eggs so they peel nicely and don't pull chunks of egg white trying to take the shells off.  I thought of making some sort of salad but have decided against it.  I'll make one another night.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot I took a couple pictures of the mushrooms at the Farmers' Market this morning....

One is of Oyster Mushrooms growing on a plastic wrapped 'bale'. I want to go back and ask more about what's in the bale, growing conditions, etc.

The other is a box of mixed mushrooms they have for sale (this box went for approximately $20) ~ the large white chunk is a Lion's Mane mushroom. They also showed me a Coral Mushroom ~ looks just like white coral in the ocean. But super delicate. All very interesting. The young man who grows them certainly has created an interesting niche market and (I assume) a good return on his investment & time.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_06_15

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_06_16

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Farmers' Market tomatoes weren't the best I've had but they also weren't the worst ~ just typical Florida tomatoes without much flavor. I did add some s&p and that helps a bit.

Tonight's BLT's with deviled eggs & chips:

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_06_17

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_06_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had hot chicken soup for lunch.

Tina made salmon patties for supper.

had

bethk

bethk
Admin

Can you see me smiling from ear to ear?

I just had my lunch of Fried Green Tomatoes, along with a quick remoulaude I threw together.

I ate half of them and will be able to eat the other 3 tomorrow ~ they warm up just fine in the toaster oven.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_07_22

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was putting everything back into the refrigerator & freezer I noticed I had multiple packages of Johnsonville Smoked Beef Brats ~ something I buy when it's on sale, like a BOGO offer. So, tonight seemed the right night to have a package.

Haluski ~ sauteed sliced beef brats, cabbage & egg noodles. A one pot meal. (not exactly 'summer' meal but it's still 'spring' so I went with it!).

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_07_23

Cookin Lore

I went out for lunch with my children.  Early "Mothers' Day" because fishing season for some particular fish opens next weekend, so My sons (and their friends) would rather go fishing.  While they are fishing it's also one son's wedding anniversary (33 years) and other son's wife's birthday!  But that's all good, we all understand!  They share their fish!

Lunch was so-so, I had a wild mushroom flatbread which needed to be spiced up, but they were busy, so it's fine.  For supper I made a clean up my fridge of fresh veggies salad, topped with the last of a container of marinated seafood that I had in the fridge.  Tomorrow I'll cook.  I think.  No picture today.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It is at the point where I CAN at least sit up instead in bed in the fetal position.
LAST Night was a horror with a pounding head ache ...... NO FEVER AT LEAST!
I even had some casserole that Tina Made.
DD is leaving her job ( at Kinder care ) watching the little germed up kids. Since she had been there she had a cold and a frog voice since. SO, NOW IT IS CIRCULATING in its rounds in the family.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked for something to make for supper.  I knew I was making the zucchini/carrot/onion 'vegetable spaghetti' so I just needed a protein.  I grabbed what I at first thought was a chicken breast but when I picked it up I realized it was a couple chicken thighs ~ OK, almost the same thing!

And, actually, it was pretty good.  I've been doing the same method as seen on Cooks Country or ATK, or maybe another cooking show ~ season the skin on thighs and start them in a dry, cold cast iron skillet on medium heat.  As it heats up the fat under the skin renders and you don't need any more oil.  When browned on both sides I slide the little 8" cast iron skillet into the toaster oven for 30 minutes or so (you KNOW it's completely cooked through if it's in MY kitchen!) and it makes for an easy meal.

I sliced one of the Farmers' Market tomatoes ~ actually tasted somewhat like a 'real' tomato!  And we had the leftover deviled eggs.  No complaints from HIM so that's a good thing.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_08_21

The part for the washing machine came today ~ the fill tube that was replaced 3 times when the machine was under warranty. The last guy was a 'factory rep' and he actually referred to a YouTube Video on his phone as he was switching the hose out. It's just a really poor design. But it did last about 3 years.

The hose was about $12 ~ fairly inexpensive. The service call labor cost on the 'warranty' receipt (that we didn't have to pay for) listed the rate at $155.

Dane only asked me for $45 for the 15 minutes it took him to fix the thing. I told him he was low balling me just so I'd let him repair the next appliance that quits! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh boy.... always a pain with those appliances. Like the new LG dishwasher we bought.
It says energy efficient. OK so it runs 2 and 1/2 hours. Tina got on the phone for LG corporate, and said to the guys how can you call that energy saving? The one guy said the life of appliances is 5 to 8 years.

Supper was broccoli cheese soup. Tina had a sliced hard boiled egg sandwich. It's easy on her messed up stomach

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight ~ HE wants to go back to soft eggs.....I guess not all his problems are over.

I think I'm going to pick up an order of Chinese something from a restaurant I've not tried before. They've had decent reviews so I guess it's time for me to try it out.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's fried breaded eggplant Tina is cooking. Just love fried eggplant sandwiches with mozzarella cheese on top. Or sauced and baked to melt the cheese.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

As long as this one store keeps selling crab legs for 7.99/lb, I'll keep having them every 5 or 6 weeks.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0826

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:As long as this one store keeps selling crab legs for 7.99/lb, I'll keep having them every 5 or 6 weeks.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0826

WOW!......Surely L00Ks good Norm. I remember we had a place that
had all you can eat for $19.95. I had my fill, but never did I realize,
that I had a rash on my hands, mouth, and cheeks from something in the batch of different fish or crustations.
Next time we went to that place, I had nitrile gloves, and put Vaseline on my face.
My wife wouldn't even sit at the table with me; along with the kids, and their
two friends. Later in time, that place moved out of town. Tina was glad... Crying or Very sad

bethk, NormM and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:As long as this one store keeps selling crab legs for 7.99/lb, I'll keep having them every 5 or 6 weeks.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0826

WOW!......Surely L00Ks good Norm. I remember we had a place that
had all you can eat for $19.95. I had my fill, but never did I realize,
that I had a rash on my hands, mouth, and cheeks from something in the batch of different fish or crustations.
Next time we went to that place, I had nitrile gloves, and put Vaseline on my face.
My wife wouldn't even sit at the table with me; along with the kids, and their
two friends. Later in time, that place moved out of town. Tina was glad... Crying or Very sad

Only one store near here sells crab legs for less than $20.00 lb. There were two pounds on that plate and it cost $16 total and it was more than the two or us could finish.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Again ~ no cooking.

I picked DD#1 up at the airport. She flew in for a 3 day visit. Short & Sweet!

We spent the day 'grocery' shopping in Orlando. It's always a fun trip for me.

Tomorrow is the only day I'm planning to cook ~ she wants pork & sauerkraut w/spaetzle. What can I say? It's a family favorite and HER family doesn't care for sauerkraut so she doesn't make it.

We'll go out to eat on Friday and on Saturday it's a trip back to the airport.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was Dr. Day for Tina. I got to make a sweet potato for me. She had some fried in butter mac and cheese that she made the other day..... Had an ice cream cone for dessert.
Now I have a pot of chili cooking for tomorrows supper. Son Jimmy turned 54 today, but we will celebrate this Sunday along with Mothers day.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea was thrilled to have her family favorite meal: Pork & Sauerkraut over spaetzle.

She's tried making it for her family but none of them cared for it and she hasn't made it again. The only time she gets it is when we're all together.

I find it amusing that BOTH our daughters consider that meal their favorite. We had it on a regular rotation when they were young, starting in the fall and continuing through spring time. Once it got warm outside it certainly wasn't oven meal time.

The original meal idea came from Dane's grandmother, a German immigrant, and was considered a 'secret' family recipe. (Dane's step mother didn't like to share secret recipes....especially with outsiders) But after watching how it was made and tasting it I knew exactly how to replicate the meal. MY Grandma (who taught me how to make it) made the same drop noodles, shaped slightly differently but using the same ingredients, and they were dropped into boiling chicken stock and was called Chicken Ribbly Soup (aka: rivels).

And I've been making the meal ever since ~

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_11_18

Cookin Lore

Spatzele are the most common, and favourite noodle product in the area of Germany where we lived. My husband did not like noodles of any kind, so I really never served them. I have made them a few times, but basically now I get the pre-packaged dry variety!

NormM

NormM

I made a recipe we had reciently and really liked:  that shrimp & pasta with sauce that tastes like Alfredo.  I suspect the way it is made is the way it is done in Italy. It isn't made by itself and added whole, but added an ingredient at a time while the rest of the meal is cooking and it has go added thickener.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Image20
.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0828

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I had a tomato/onion salad while my small lamb roast and fingerling potatoes were in the oven. Lamb is from a local grocery store, spiced with Greek spices. On my plate is half, leftovers tomorrow!"

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_11_19

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 05_11_20

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had the chili I made yesterday, and Tina made rice as a supplement.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made a chuck roast in the slow cooker today.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0829
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0830

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum