Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2023 — happy new year

+3
Cookin Lore
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

76January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:47 pm

NormM

NormM

JanaAZ wrote:
NormM wrote:Today is the first time I ever made Shepards pie (with beef) I was never interested in trying it before now. I made cabbage fritters to go with it.  Both were a hit with Charlie.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Img_0518

Ooh, cabbage fritters….never had one. Sounds delicious

Here is the recipe if you want.
Cabbage Fritter "Batter"
16 oz shredded cabbage
2 med-small carrots - grated
2-3 scallions - or 1 regular onion
3 large eggs
4-5 tbsp flour - see notes for gluten free or grain free
2 cloves garlic - minced
Seasonings
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper - ground
1/2 tsp paprika - or smoked paprika
1/2 tsp coriander - ground, optional
3-4 tbsp fat for frying - ghee or oil of your choice

INSTRUCTIONS

Prepare the ingredients (wash and cut)
Shred the cabbage with a mandoline slicer (for fine uniform shreds). You will need 16 oz, about 7 packed cups. Or about 1/3 of a medium head of cabbage.

Thinly slice 2-3 scallions (or a regular onion).

Grate the carrots with a box grater.

Mince the garlic or use the finer side of a box grater.

Combine all the ingredients
In a large bowl add all prepared ingredients and toss lightly to combine and coat everything with egg. You can use your hands. 

Don’t use force while mixing, you don’t want to draw too much water from the cabbage.

Note: The cabbage mixture might look like a slaw at first, without much hope for sticking together, but don’t worry, the fritters will hold together once fried. 

Shape the cabbage fritters and fry
Heat a non-stick skillet (I use a 10″ ceramic coated skillet) on medium low heat (my stove know is at 3) for 3 minutes or so.

Add fat for frying, let it heat for 1 minute. I’m using ghee, but you could use any healthier heat resistant oils like avocado oil or grape-seed oil.

Form a ball in your hands and place it in the heated skillet. Press down with a spatula or your hands (while arranging the sided) to flatten. The thinner the better it will cook inside.

Fry 3 minutes per side. Or until the surface is golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining fritter mixture, adding more oil/ghee as needed. Serve warm or cold.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

77January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salmon, little potato discs, steamed cauliflower."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_17_23

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

78January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a bowl of creamy tomato soup from Aldi's with saltine crackers.
Tina had pizza, and DD made taco's and had that. Yeah! ....... It was a typical
"Diner Day" today.....

bethk likes this post

79January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I steamed some mini wontons for my lunch ~ I found these a while ago and really enjoy them.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_23

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_24

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

80January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got my meatloaf mixture taken care of. I ended up with 3 mini meatloafs and 8 Salisbury Steak patties. It's all stashed in the freezer.

I still have to portion/form/wrap and freeze my hamburger patties.

But I'm taking a break right now.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_25

81January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, I'm done with my freezer prep......I ended up with 10 ~ 6 oz. patties, all wrapped & in the freezer. As soon as they're frozen solid they'll go into a freezer zip bag.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 10_18_15

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 10_18_16

82January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was talking with DD#1, telling her I got everything in the freezers.

As I thought about it I decided to list the contents of the freezers for her:

Salmon, Grouper, Shrimps, Snow Crab Legs, Pork Tenderloin, Lasagnas, Chicken Breasts, Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs, Meatloafs, Salisbury Steaks, Hamburger Patties, Ham Steaks and Mini Wontons......along with other assorted miscellaneous bits of this & that.....oh, and some soups, picadillo to make into empanadas.

And the really sad thing is I probably won't want to cook any of those things ~ I'll probably be hungry for homemade pizza or breakfast for supper...........(( sigh ))

83January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had chicken soup that I made for today's lunch.
Supper to day will be liverwurst sandwiches with half sour garlic pickles.

bethk likes this post

84January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner With my son and daughter in law. Perogies in a restaurant. I had never had them before, so I decided that I wanted to give them a try. Not impressed. Bacon and onions good, perogies nah! Putting hot sauce on Helped, but I don’t get what all the fuss is with them."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_26

85January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our anniversary celebration dinner with Ellen & Roger was absolutely lovely.  They are such a nice couple.  We went to one of the 'nicer' country club restaurants ~ Nancy Lopez Legends.  (and, yes, golfer Nancy Lopez not only has a golf course/country club in her name but also has a home here)

It was easy to make on-line reservations ~ you can see availability and not have to sit on hold when you make a phone call.

We started with some cocktails ~ Ellen & I had martinis, there was a glass of white wine and a gin & tonic.  Then Dane & I each had an appetizer (it was a celebration, after all) ~ he had the escargot (his all time favorite) and I tried the duck wontons ~ which were very tasty.

Then we moved on to dinners:  Dane & I both had the twin lobster tails, Elllen (who doesn't eat seafood) had the Chicken Marsala and Roger ordered the Maple Pecan Salmon.  We all enjoyed our meals and there wasn't a complaint about anything.

For dessert we ordered creme brulee and shared it.

I didn't take pics of everything but did take a few......

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_27

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_28

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_29

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_30

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_31

86January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

WOW!...... what a meal !.....
Happy Anniversary

bethk likes this post

87January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:WOW!...... what a meal !.....
Happy Anniversary

Thank, Jimmy!

I guess it was worth all the 54 years served up just to be able to celebrate with an amazing meal......LOL

88January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm

JanaAZ

NormM wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:
NormM wrote:Today is the first time I ever made Shepards pie (with beef) I was never interested in trying it before now. I made cabbage fritters to go with it.  Both were a hit with Charlie.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Img_0518

Ooh, cabbage fritters….never had one. Sounds delicious

Here is the recipe if you want.
Cabbage Fritter "Batter"
16 oz shredded cabbage
2 med-small carrots - grated
2-3 scallions - or 1 regular onion
3 large eggs
4-5 tbsp flour - see notes for gluten free or grain free
2 cloves garlic - minced
Seasonings
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper - ground
1/2 tsp paprika - or smoked paprika
1/2 tsp coriander - ground, optional
3-4 tbsp fat for frying - ghee or oil of your choice

INSTRUCTIONS

Prepare the ingredients (wash and cut)
Shred the cabbage with a mandoline slicer (for fine uniform shreds). You will need 16 oz, about 7 packed cups. Or about 1/3 of a medium head of cabbage.

Thinly slice 2-3 scallions (or a regular onion).

Grate the carrots with a box grater.

Mince the garlic or use the finer side of a box grater.

Combine all the ingredients
In a large bowl add all prepared ingredients and toss lightly to combine and coat everything with egg. You can use your hands. 

Don’t use force while mixing, you don’t want to draw too much water from the cabbage.

Note: The cabbage mixture might look like a slaw at first, without much hope for sticking together, but don’t worry, the fritters will hold together once fried. 

Shape the cabbage fritters and fry
Heat a non-stick skillet (I use a 10″ ceramic coated skillet) on medium low heat (my stove know is at 3) for 3 minutes or so.

Add fat for frying, let it heat for 1 minute. I’m using ghee, but you could use any healthier heat resistant oils like avocado oil or grape-seed oil.

Form a ball in your hands and place it in the heated skillet. Press down with a spatula or your hands (while arranging the sided) to flatten. The thinner the better it will cook inside.

Fry 3 minutes per side. Or until the surface is golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining fritter mixture, adding more oil/ghee as needed. Serve warm or cold.

thanks for posting this. i might have to try this. very different.

89January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:41 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner With  my son and daughter in law. Perogies in a restaurant. I had never had them before, so I decided that I wanted to give them a try. Not impressed. Bacon and onions good, perogies nah!  Putting hot sauce on Helped, but I don’t get what all the fuss is with them."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_18_26

If you didn't like them, Im guessing they werent made well. Ours are fabulous. We make them with sauerkraut, potato, cheese, and a mixture of them. I'm fermenting my sauerkraut for pierogi day which will be in several weeks.

90January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with the idea of a salad for supper. After yesterday's massive meal the idea was very appealing.

Oriental Chicken Salad

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_19_15

91January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Mushrooms, onions, snap peas, red pepper, stir fried and jumbo shrimp with cream and tagliatelle."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_19_16

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_19_17

92January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The weather report this morning was a beautiful forecast so I thought it was a good day to grill some burgers on the charcoal grill.

I've got some cucumber/onion salad marinating in sour cream/vinegar/sugar dressing and I microwaved a couple little ears of corn to add to some lima beans for succotash. I thought about a potato but decided on chips since we'll have toasted buns with the burgers.

93January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is one of those days we hoped we would have when we moved to Florida ~ temperature around 75° and absolutely gorgeous!

It was a perfect day to fire up the charcoal grill and stand outside turning burgers!

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_20_21

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_20_22

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 01_20_23

94January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had the last of the soup leftover from yesterday. Enough already!
Tina made tomato sauce she made with beef ground, and had spaghetti with that.
Time for dessert now. Ice cream sounds ok.

bethk likes this post

95January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch ~ we went to a nearby Hibachi Stir Fry Restaurant. All the ladies seem to enjoy the 'show' of the chef manning the grill. Personally I'd rather sit at a comfy booth and order a meal that's not stir fry ~ but being the team player, I don't object....I don't mind the meal but it just seems if you've seen the show once (or 20 times....) you really don't need to sit through it again.

When I got home HE was napping in bed ~ unusual, to be sure. For some reason he's just not feeling up to par (and that's NOT a golf reference....). So, since I wasn't particularly hungry I offered to make him some scrambled eggs and he liked the idea but opted for 'over easy' instead. He asked if I had any bacon or sausage (of course I do, I have a freezer full of stuff!) so he chose the sausage.

I ended up making myself a sausage/egg muffin ~ managed to eat half before I decided I just couldn't swallow another bite. Ladies' Lunch is usually all I have on Saturday.

I didn't think to take a pic ~ just pretend you just opened the paper around a McDonald's breakfast sandwich ~ without the cheese ~ and you know what my supper looked like.

LOL

96January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made French toast last night before bed time and put them in a tupperware for wake up time without wasting time making it. All we had to do, was pop the toast in the toaster, and DONE!
i also, par cooked the bacon so a pop into the microwave.....and......D O N E !
For supper, Tina is making a pan of pizza from the blue tube pizza crust and her home made pizza sauce.

bethk likes this post

97January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Got a call first thing this morning from Jim asking us to go to dinner with him & his daughter (who is visiting for a couple days). I turned him down the last time because it was the day after my arm surgery so I had to say, "YES", today.

Actually, it's really unusual for me to turn down an invitation to dinner!

So, no cooking tonight! Woo Hoo !!!

98January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

LIVER AND ONIONS TONIGHT FOR SUPPER.

bethk likes this post

99January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:LIVER AND ONIONS TONIGHT FOR SUPPER.

Awww ~ Dane's jealous!

100January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:46 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked for fajitas yesterday but it was too late to make them then so I made them today insteadJanuary 2023 — happy new year  - Page 4 Img_0610

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum