Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2023 — happy new year

+3
Cookin Lore
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

101January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Fabulous (in my opinion) of some venison done on my indoor grill. Friend gave me the meat. Tabbouleh salad to go along."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_22_20

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_22_21

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

102January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:43 pm

JanaAZ

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 C369ec10

Yesterday, being lunar new year, we decided to have egg rolls and potstickers for dinner.  I didn't take photos of them after cooked, but they were pretty darn good.

Last edited by JanaAZ on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

103January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a conversation with Jim's daughter at dinner last night about the oven air fried chicken wings I make. So guess what I had on my mind to make for supper tonight???

I did a picture instruction for her so she knows what I'm talking about.....

Steamed the wings for 20 minutes (I want them DONE.....)

Steamed wings put on rack to air dry in the refrigerator for an hour or longer.

Baked the wings at 475° for 20 minutes, turned them over and air fried them at the same temperature for another 20 minutes ~ super crispy but still tender on the inside.

I tossed the wings in a mixture of 1 Tbsp. butter & 1/3 c. Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, brought to a boil together before pouring it over the wings & tossing around. Then I split the drummies for HIM and the flats for me ~ so glad we can share what we like.

Some of the Crispy Crowns got a bit dark but they were good just the same.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_16

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_17

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_18

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_19

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_20

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

104January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie reminisced about his mom making this stew when he visited her, and asked if I could make some. I had never had it or even recall hearing about it but I looked up a recipe and went to the Korean store. I wasn't looking forward to making bulgogi then turning it into a stew. I went to get some ready made bulgogi but actually found packets of Bulgogi
gogi stew. All I needed to do was tear open the package and heat it up. It's really good but Charlie said it was much more intensely flavored than his mom's. Her broth is almost like Korean Bone soup he said. He thinks he will water it down when he heats up left overs.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Img_0611
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Img_0612

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

105January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just walked outside and noticed our Queen Palm has just 'hatched' a seed pod. Yuck! HE will have to get the ladder and climb up to cut it off the tree. If it stays it dries up and drops seeds all over our neighbor's & our courtyard ~ a HUGE mess!

The darn thing weighs about 50 pounds so HE has to cut parts off to drop in trash bags a bit at a time......

(and, NO, I don't do ladders!)

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_21

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

106January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had two slices of French toast that I made the other day.
All I had to do, is drop them into the toaster. There were 3 slices of cooked bacon to go with the toast also.
That was breakfast for supper! ..... Am I still hungry??? You bet I am. hahahahaha

bethk likes this post

107January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. London broil, sweet potato, tomato/cucumber with feta. Yumm."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_23_22

108January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neither of us could come up with an idea for supper.....I guess we weren't hungry first thing this morning.......

So, I played "1st thing you see....." ~ and that was the last of the pork tenderloins.

So, pork tenderloin, sweet potato and roasted carrots & parsnips.

It was pretty tasty........

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_24_20

109January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was sliced hard cooked egg sandwiches. Pickles and sauerkraut on the side.
Lightly toasted soda bread with sweet butter.

bethk likes this post

110January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled one of the meatloafs out of the freezer the other day to defrost in the refrigerator.  Tonight was glazed meatloaf, baked potato (skins eaten separately) and fresh green beans (from the grocery store ~ ours aren't growing very fast right now).  No complaints were heard!

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_25_16

111January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 pm

JanaAZ

Steve finally got his flu shot and since he always gets sick when he has it, I made him some Jewish penicillin.

112January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Steve finally got his flu shot and since he always gets sick when he has it, I made him some Jewish penicillin.

Same thing always happens to me so I know how crummy he feels. I always plan to spend 24+ hours just laying in bed..... You're a good wife to make a soothing (and healing) meal for him.

113January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner tonight. Oven fried ocean pèrch ad sayed green beans. Yumm !"

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_25_17

114January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JanaAZ wrote:Steve finally got his flu shot and since he always gets sick when he has it, I made him some Jewish penicillin.

We always make chicken soup when feeling ill! I was sick after my flue shot
a few months ago. Tina likes,  ( and so do I, ), matzo balls in the soup!
It's the "schmaltz)," ( the rendered down chicken fat, and skin ), that heals.
Here is hoping Steve feels better soon.....

bethk likes this post

115January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Remind me to NEVER buy rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club again..... PINK THIGHS! The entire thing got broken up and put on to simmer for stock.

I did salvage the breast meat ~ poached it for about 25 minutes in some broth.  It came out tender and moist and completely cooked.

They had just removed the chickens from the rotisserie cooker when I was at Sam's and I thought it would be good for supper tonight ~ so since it was still 'too hot to handle' I felt safe in immediately letting it boil/simmer away for stock.  

But never again.....

116January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used some of the chicken breast I poached to make a chicken florentine over angel hair pasta.....made a creamy parmesan sauce, used the last tomato I had on the counter.....and a bunch of spinach.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_26_14

117January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Small schnitzel, crinkle potatoes and squash. Bought a small squash, shape like a butternut but smaller. Colour was very orange, not particularly flavourful. I like butternut better."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_26_15

bethk likes this post

118January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had a 16 oz. container of Cuban Picadillo in the freezer since the last time I made empanadas....just there staring at me every time I open the door. So I finally remembered to pick up a package of discos when I was at the store ~ the picadillo was thawed and the discos were thawed so it was time to make Empanadas!

I'm going to make some yellow rice and black beans to go with them, along with our favorite tostones (twice fried green plantains). I should have bought a can of plain black beans & seasoned them myself but I'm taking a chance with a can of Bush's seasoned black beans. I hope I'm not disappointed with the flavors....we'll see.

119January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just walked past the stove and was reminded WHY I DON'T FRY STUFF!!!

Geesh! What an oily mess......although when it's all nice and cool it won't be difficult to spray it down & clean it with Formula 409 ~ at least twice ~ and then finish it off with a de-greasing shine with Windex.

So, here's my pics from making the green plantain tostones (NOT a mess maker as they don't spatter at all) and the Cuban Picadillo Empanadas that I should have simply sprayed with olive oil and baked in the oven.....but they're SO much better tasting when they're fried in the 1/2" of oil. Maybe I should have used a deeper pot instead of a cast iron skillet.....like 36" deep! LOL

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_14

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_15

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_16

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_17

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_18

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_19

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_27_20

120January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was out shopping and brought home pepperoni bread, Danish, doughnuts,
and pepperoni bread....... So I devoured A LOT!

bethk likes this post

121January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch Day ~ we went to a favorite of the ladies, the local Mexican place. Between a large lunch serving and an even larger margarita, I'm still stuffed.

HE ended up making a chicken sandwich for himself ~ so supper's taken care of.

LOL

122January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:06 pm

Cookin Lore

Dinner last night surely wasn't picture worthy. I forgot that I had some of the venison chunks from a few days ago still in the fridge. So, I put them and three fingerling potatoes in my oven at 400, sat down on my comfy chair, and promptly fell asleep! It must have been only about 10 minutes, and the stuff was VERY close to being plain burnt offerings, but I was hungry after a busy shift at thrift! So, I ate it. And survived, but it was a sacrilege what I did to that lovely meat.

Think I'll make a meatloaf today.

bethk likes this post

123January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, I hear you, Lore!

If I think it would be nice to have a short nap ~ refreshing ~ then, of course, my mind goes into 'overdrive' and I get mentally reminded of the missteps I made in 1978 and reminders of things I forgot to pack for vacation in 2010......

(( sigh ))

But let me turn on the water to give the plants outside a good drink and I just sit down for a moment.....the neighbors come banging on my door because I'm flooding the street!

124January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a piece of salmon and one of grouper thawed for supper. Not sure what the rest of the meal will be but I'm sure it will fall into place eventually.....

125January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As expected, supper menu came together ~ Grilled Salmon / Grouper, Grilled Zucchini Planks and Sweet Kale Salad (Sam's Club Salad Kit).

There were no complaints at all as salmon is one of HIS absolute favorites....my grouper was excellent (as always) and was enough to share a small amount with HIM.....The zucchini was nicely done ~ not mushy, but grilled enough to know it was cooked.  The Sweet Kale Salad was the same as always ~ always a good choice!

The salmon gets cooked with just a sprinkle of S&P and a tiny bit of olive oil on the skin side ~ if it gets crispy HE likes to eat it. The grouper was seasoned with S&P and slathered with Hellmann's Mayo and dredged on two sides with panko, adding just a slight drizzle of olive oil to help keep it moist and crisp it on the hot grill mat.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 5 01_29_18

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum