Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2023 — happy new year

+3
Cookin Lore
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

51January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Beef rib, fingerling potatoes sliced into discs and steamed broccoli. I LOVE my oven with both the air fry and delay start features! put the rib in the oven before I left for my shift at the store, when I came home two hours later it smelled soooo good already. I cut some fingerling potatoes into discs, threw them in the oven . Then steamed some broccoli Yumm!!!!"

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_09_16

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

52January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a chicken breast without a plan ~ and didn't come up with an idea until 30 minutes to go.....

I mean, I had to do something with it but I didn't know what.

I ended up making simple chicken cutlets, boiled potatoes & carrots.

really boring.

(( snore..... ))

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_10_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

53January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a pickle pimento lunchmeat sandwich, on a Kaiser roll and pastries for dessert.

bethk likes this post

54January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:22 am

Cookin Lore

For me, supper was picked up at the grocery store. Lasagna. Flavour was great, but it was more like a lasagna flavoured noodle soup! I really should make some and freeze it in portions.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

55January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided today was a good day to make lasagna for the freezer. I ended up with 2 large pans and a little mini 'leftover' size that we'll eat for supper tonight. I think I'll make a salad to go with it because it's not that much.

The large ones are 4 layers and I'm baking them off and then will cool them before freezing. Then, when I reheat them they will hold together nicely when I cut and serve.

I used the 'regular' Mueller's dry lasagna noodles ~ I boiled them in my big 'chicken fryer' skillet ~ I don't use that pan often but it's absolutely perfect for something like the long noodles.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_11_21

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_11_22

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_11_23

56January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It surprised me the little bit of 'leftover' noodles, sauce & cheese was enough for our supper. I did have a good sized salad and warmed some bakery rolls ~ I couldn't actually finish my entire serving!

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_11_24

And here are the two I baked off that will cool in the refrigerator overnight and then get frozen for an easy supper on another night.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_11_25

57January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This morning I had 2 eggs (Dippy) with seeded rye bread as the dipping tool / sponge.
This evening was a nice piece of cod fish, with a 1/2 Kaiser roll as a soaker sponge for the wine and butter sauce. A krispy kreme glazed doughnut for dessert. Tina made ham and pea soup today, and so she had that for supper.

bethk likes this post

58January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:19 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Imelda sent me the packets to make a more authentic Rendang than I had made earlier.    It was much better.  Thank you Imelda.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0514
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0513

You are welcome Norm, I can see the color is more like our rendang's color, glad you like it. Was it enough spicy for you or did you add more chili sauce?

59January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:04 pm

NormM

NormM

Imelda HL wrote:
NormM wrote:Imelda sent me the packets to make a more authentic Rendang than I had made earlier.    It was much better.  Thank you Imelda.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0514
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0513

You are welcome Norm, I can see the color is more like our rendang's color, glad you like it. Was it enough spicy for you or did you add more chili sauce?

It was spicy enough for me. Thanks again.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

60January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a whole chicken the other day and decided to spatchcock it and have a chicken sheet pan supper.

I added a wedged onion to the sheet pan when I put the chicken in to roast and then about half way through I added some cubed potatoes. Finished the potatoes & onions on 'air fry' after I took the chicken out to rest before I cut it.

The asparagus was air fried, too.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_19

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_20

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_21

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_22

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_23

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

61January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:14 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I picked up a whole chicken the other day and decided to spatchcock it and have a chicken sheet pan supper.

I added a wedged onion to the sheet pan when I put the chicken in to roast and then about half way through I added some cubed potatoes.  Finished the potatoes & onions on 'air fry' after I took the chicken out to rest before I cut it.

The asparagus was air fried, too.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_19

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_20

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_21

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_22

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_12_23

Looks good Beth, crispy skin

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

62January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Looks good Beth, crispy skin

Yes, Imelda, that's the only way I like my chicken ~ and this one was surprisingly moist for the amount of time I left it in the oven. Nothing turns me off from a meal like 'pink' around the chicken bones.....

63January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are having stuffed shells with ricotta cheese that Tina bought frozen. Meatballs as a side.
Ice cream for dessert........

And, NO Chicken for me that is pink or even juicy
We had a Sams roticery chicken last week, and I had to pull with all my strength to pull the breast off to slice it. That was it....... NOT for me.

bethk likes this post

64January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally made the hour+ ride to Homosassa to go to the fish market I like. I thought I was in 'Hog Heaven' ~ as I noticed they had fresh Hog Fish Fillets ~ same price as the Grouper Fillets. Unfortunately for me, as one clerk was weighing the 2 salmon fillets I was getting for Dane another customer came in and told the other clerk he wanted 2 pounds of Hog Fish.....and that was all there was today!

Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh! I almost tackled him has he took his smilin' self to the door!

So, I ended up with the fresh Grouper Fillets, and I'm sure they will be fabulous ~ but the chance to get a seasonal fresh Hog Fish Fillet was so exciting.....

So, for tonight's supper we had fried shrimp with crispy crowns & coleslaw. The shrimp are Jacksonville Whites / 8-12 per pound so they're huge. I cooked 7 for each of us and I should have stopped at 6 each.....I'm stuffed~

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_13_16

65January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays supper....

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_2319
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_2320

bethk likes this post

66January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got going this morning and portioned the fish fillets I picked up yesterday. They spent the night in the refrigerator with an ice pack parked on top so I know they stayed nice and cold. I was just too tired last night to deal with them.

But they're done ~ I got 8 servings out of each the salmon (for HIM) and the grouper (for me). I don't make large portions because we don't eat that much at one time. So most are in the 4 - 4 1/2 oz size. I think the normal portion size in a restaurant is more like 8 oz. but we usually can't finish that much.

I wrap each portion in plastic wrap and freeze them and then they go into freezer bags, marked with the size (my OCD strikes again!).

When I got done with the fish I got started on my tartar sauce ~ I got some chives and a good handful of dill from my patio pots and chopped everything. Then the little mini chop came out and I added the herbs, some drained capers, dill relish, sweet relish, Hellmann's, Miracle Whip and a few shakes of Tabasco Sauce. It all got blitzed up to break down the capers & relish and mix it all together. So, now I have two 8 oz. jars of homemade tartar sauce ~ or what I like to refer to as tartar sauce ~ in my refrigerator. In addition to having it with fish I like to use it on chicken sandwiches and as a dipping sauce to chicken tenders, etc.

67January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

the fish I picked up at the seafood market in Homosassa yesterday was excellent.....although I would have loved to have Hog Fish, the Grouper filet was fresh and really good. HE liked his salmon fillet ~ both cooked on the gas grill to keep the smell out of the house. He said the skin got crispy enough for him to eat.

The meal was excellent!

I like to have some panko crispy coating on my grouper ~ slather of mayonnaise & a sprinkle of panko.....just a drizzle of olive oil for a crispy crust.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_14_12

68January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It is whatever is found today. Left overs and all. No cooking at all today; even though it's 27 degrees out!

bethk likes this post

69January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have one of my 'half-size' (cut in half) beef chuck roasts in a little crockpot.  I used the '3-dry mix' recipe and opted to just use half of each package (made sense to me).

I started it at about 9:00 a.m. so it should be REALLY tender for our supper around 5 pm.

(Later in the day......The fragrance of supper cooking is almost too much!  I should have set up a small table outside to let it cook but it's been pretty cool all day and that would probably not work for my timing to be done at 5.  So, I've got it set over by the range with the vent on to take the smell of supper out to the neighborhood.)

70January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad I let the little pot roast sit in the crockpot all day. About 2:00 I added the vegetables and everything was tender and tasty.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_15_17

71January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had the leftover chicken breast from the roast chicken I had made. Came up with the idea to make Chicken Enchiladas ~ haven't had that in a long time.

Time to take a snooze in the chair to let it all settle......

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 01_16_25

72January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:28 pm

NormM

NormM

Today is the first time I ever made Shepards pie (with beef) I was never interested in trying it before now. I made cabbage fritters to go with it. Both were a hit with Charlie.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0518

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

73January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Stuffed peppers...../ Ahem ( clearing my throat ),and It wound up a
squabble. Tina tripled up on the amount of rice added to the ground pork.
Welllll  ! I mentioned it, and also said "too bland and needed salt!" ........ she got pee'd off and took her plate into the liv. room to eat. I'm in the dog house NOW!!!  
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 3447731902
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_2321

bethk likes this post

74January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Two days of no cooking.....

Tonight we're having some chili ~ pulled from the freezer this morning.  Just heat & grab the crackers!

Tomorrow we'll be going out with neighbors Ellen & Roger to celebrate our anniversary.....54 years ~ that's a long, LONG time!  LOL

It should be a fun evening ~

Late this afternoon I realized it was Tuesday ~ Ground Chuck Day at Fresh Market! I wanted to get about 8 pounds ~ 4 pounds for patties and 4 pounds to use to make some meatloafs and salisbury steak patties for the freezer. I couldn't believe how long the line was for the fresh meat counter.....but I was there so I stuck it out. Nice people to chat with. They also had some nicely trimmed boneless/skinless chicken thighs for $2.99/lb so I got a couple pounds of those 'just because'.

So, tomorrow morning I'll package everything up and get it taken care of. So, I guess I'm kind of cooking even though it won't be for Wednesday night.

75January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:58 pm

JanaAZ

NormM wrote:Today is the first time I ever made Shepards pie (with beef) I was never interested in trying it before now. I made cabbage fritters to go with it.  Both were a hit with Charlie.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 3 Img_0518

Ooh, cabbage fritters….never had one. Sounds delicious

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum