Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2023 — happy new year

+3
Cookin Lore
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

26January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:41 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:Charlie and I were going through a list of recipes I've made over the last couple of years and decided to do Cheeseburger soup. Charlie suggested using French fries instead of regular potatoes and to add some  jalapenos. I didn't think the fries  and peppers was a good idea so I made them on the side.  I have to admit that the soup made a very tasty dip for the fries.  During the meal Charlie thought some kind of pasta would be a good substitute for the potatoes.  I might try that next time.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0511
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0512

Looks good Norm! ...... Nothing like using recipe flash cards, or trolling through a book
to get some ideas for a meal.

Recipe for the cheeseburger soup???? A friend in Germany makes something called cheese soup, which also has ground meat in it, I've never been able to find the right kind of cheese for it.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

27January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup was on the menu tonight. Added meat tortellini to each bowl of soup.

28January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Got through the heart cath - everything is good.

Can't use my right hand.......typing left hand sucks!

Maybe Saturday when compression comes off I'll be able to post.

Hey, Lore ~ i can't download your pic for a few days. I'll get it eventually.......(takes better hand movement than I can manage)

29January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:51 am

NormM

NormM

Here is the recipe I use. It uses Velveeta, sour cream, and chicken stock. I suppose you could use two or three cans of Campbells cheese soup instead.

Cheeseburger Soup

Award Winning Cheeseburger Soup is a thick and hearty soup with lean, tender ground beef, shredded carrots, diced celery and potatoes in a warm and creamy cheese soup. This is an award winning soup and it is excellent!

PREP TIME 15 mins COOK TIME 30 mins TOTAL TIME 45 mins
SERVINGS 6 people
INGREDIENTS

1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 tablespoons butter divided
3 cups chicken broth..I ended up using 4 C. to cover the potatoes when they cooked.
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups of Velveeta processed cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup sour cream

INSTRUCTIONS

Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

30January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:31 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Got through the heart cath - everything is good.

Can't use my right hand.......typing left hand sucks!

Maybe Saturday when compression comes off I'll be able to post.

Hey, Lore ~ i can't download your pic for a few days.  I'll get it eventually.......(takes better hand movement than I can manage)

Great to read that all is well, heart-wise.  Don't worry about the picture.  It wasn't great to begin with.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

31January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

i pulled a container of beef & noodles and one of mashed potatoes from the freezer the day before yesterday, knowing it would be easy to reheat.

So, even though I don't like leftovers.....it is what it is and IT'S SUPPER! LOL

32January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

from Lore:

"Dinner (last night) Tonight. Salt overload, that’s for sure. I had a smoked pork chop, put it in the oven with some sauerkraut and a couple of potatoes.  I’ll be drinking lots of water overnight."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_05_10

33January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:36 pm

NormM

NormM

Imelda sent me the packets to make a more authentic Rendang than I had made earlier. It was much better. Thank you Imelda.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0514
January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0513

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

34January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had tagliateri macaroni with jarred sauce from Uncle Giuseppe's stpre.
OK, but no cigar.....
Nut roll and poppyseed roll for dessert. Yum!

bethk likes this post

35January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim had called yesterday asking if we wanted to go out for supper. I still wasn't able to shower and still had my hand all wrapped up in the compression bandage so I turned him down. He always thinks I'm mad at him or upset about something if I say, "No thanks" so I called him and asked if he wanted to go to the Italian place tonight.

Now he's happy with us.

Hey ~ ~ anything to keep the neighbors smiling!

LOL

36January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:54 pm

JanaAZ

We’re still eating from the freezer. I found a pork shoulder and had some homemade salsa verde in the canning pantry so I make a salsa verde pork Stew. I loved it, but steve isn’t a huge fan Of salsa verde so until he learns to cook….I say tough.

I also found some more wings in the freezer and even though I made him his three mile island hot wings last week, he wanted more. I guess we’re even since I’m not a fan of them.

I had some leftover eggnog I need to use so I made an eggnog cake. I had to play with a recipe to deal with high altitude so darn, we had to taste it. Yummmm.

I think I’ll turn some of the stew into enchiladas, after I remove the potatoes and see if he likes that better. Maybe tomorrow

Here’s the yummy cake before we cut it up and gave it all away.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 78c7c410

37January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:
I also found some more wings in the freezer and even though I made him his three mile island hot wings last week, he wanted more. I guess we’re even since I’m not  a fan of them.

Have you ever made the Alton Brown steamed wings/baked wings before? Dane absolutely loves how crispy they get in the oven ~ and I like that the majority of the excess fat comes off when steamed so the oven doesn't get spattered with the fat. (and I never deep fry ~ no matter what. I hate that mess.)

Just a thought.....

38January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Got tomatoes......so a salad with them, it will be.

39January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:59 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie requested Beef bulgogi for dinner.January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0515

40January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:38 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:
I also found some more wings in the freezer and even though I made him his three mile island hot wings last week, he wanted more. I guess we’re even since I’m not  a fan of them.

Have you ever made the Alton Brown steamed wings/baked wings before?  Dane absolutely loves how crispy they get in the oven ~ and I like that the majority of the excess fat comes off when steamed so the oven doesn't get spattered with the fat.  (and I never deep fry ~ no matter what.  I hate that mess.)

Just a thought.....

he likes my copycat version of Hooters wings. I have one I used to make that I loved....but he wanted the fried ones. Oh well

I found that if I put baking sheets across the burners, anything that splatters goes on the baking sheet and is easy clean up and if it gets too bad.....I'll remind him that the mess was for him...he should clean it. lol

bethk likes this post

41January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to an Italian place Jim has always liked but is a bit out of the neighborhood.

He was upset the last time he was there because they had removed his beloved Beef Carpaccio from the appetizer menu. He's from Pittsburgh and loves his raw beef!

Well, tonight the waitress was telling us about the evening specials and she mentioned the "special" Beef Carpaccio appetizer. It went straight over Jim's head ~ ~ so I nudged him and said, "JIM ~ BEEF CARPACCIO !!!" He lit up like a 4th of July firecracker!

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention 'picture' when it was delivered so it's got a couple bites out of it and he had removed the lovely greens that topped it (Jim doesn't eat green stuff.....LOL).

He had a Veal in marsala sauce and a mushroom risotto, Dane got the salmon special with fettuccini and I got the best pizza in town. We were all stuffed and happy at the end of the meal.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_07_13

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_07_14

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_07_15

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_07_16

42January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went to his sister's to help his nephew repair part of her 'privacy' fence surrounding her backyard. He said he wanted to go because it's so much easier for two instead of the daunting task for one.

So, I had the day to do very little and just kind of do nothing for most of the day.

It was really kind of nice to not have anything scheduled that needed to be done. I tried to take a nap but we all know how that goes when you 'try'.......no sleep but a good rest.

So I figured it was a good evening for a Chef's Salad ~ since I didn't know when he'd get home. I took my time getting everything prepped and all I had to do was toss stuff together and put it on our plates when it was time to eat.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_08_13

43January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:45 pm

Cookin Lore

Sounds like a really nice day. I have many of those, living alone. Got inspired today and have made two stuffed squid. They are in the oven now. Found a recipe in my texbook from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) Of course it's for stuffing 10 squid, and I'm doing two. So, I have to improvise. I hope they will be picture worthy!

I bought a cookbook for myself called cooking for two, but that's not telling me or teaching me anything new or exciting. It's very basic cooking and I don't need help with that. I have bought some small bowls that I now use, as they say, for my mise en place! I find that it's helpful when I have a lot of ingredients that need chopping, like today onion, garlic, peppers,olives, parsley, feta,

44January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Salisbury steak with string sliced carrots cooked with the steak.
Mashed potatoes. and green beans for a side. Ice cream for dessert.

bethk likes this post

45January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stuffed squid served on basmati rice with a vegetable marinara sauce."

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_08_14

46January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:32 am

Cookin Lore

I made them once before, and liked my previous attempt better. I think I'm really not fond of seafood with tomato based things. Think I'll do them again but put them with a cream/mushroom based sauce.

I don't remember where I got the first recipe and couldn't find it.

47January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a half rack of pork ribs this morning.

Thought about it for a while and finally decided to cut them into single bone portions, sear them well and then braise them in an Asian sauce ~ soy, ponzu, ginger, wine, red pepper flakes & brown sugar. Just kind of wingin' it.

I'll let them braise for a couple hours, turning the meat every half hour or so, and then reduce the braising liquid and use as a glaze for a final finish under the broiler.

48January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And supper got 4 Thumbs Up!

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 01_09_15

49January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:59 pm

NormM

NormM

No it's not deja vu. Yesterday we had beef bulgogi which has a little sugar in it. Today we had spicy pork bulgogi. It tastes different. I didn't do much cooking for it though. I went to the Korean grocery and got the spicy pork out of the freezer, picked up some cabbage bulgogi, some baby Napa bulgogi and some kimbap. About all I did was thaw it, cook it and make some rice.

January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Img_0516

50January 2023 — happy new year  - Page 2 Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made haluski's and fried cabbage.    They came out like bullets. A repair, was a quick heat up in the microwave. Tina said I used two eggs, and that was why they were like that. Hungarian haluski are made by dropping the dough by teaspoons into the boiling  water.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum