Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins! Is it getting hot in the kitchen???

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

NormM

NormM

i will be using my smoker more this year than usual. I just got a cookbook with a lot of good looking recipes in it. This is the third one I have done in the last few days. It is grilled pork chops with mustard sauce. My sister told me about the onion. It is skinned and cut to sit in a baking dish. The top is scooped out and a Tbsp each of butter and Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce and a half bouillon cube are placed in the top, it's wrapped in foil and baked at 350º for an hour.June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 20220613

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I've made those onions on the grill ~ I can only imagine how much better they would be when you add some natural wood smoke! Looks great!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner First of the sons’ caught Lake Erie perch, pan fried and breaded. Local Ontario asparagus, and a sweet potato, yummy baked in the oven as just a little butter and salt. I have no idea where it is grown, but I am very thankful of the grower. I LOVE sweet potatoes!"

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_10_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lake Erie perch ~ JEALOUS !!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"I was at my son’s place for a picnic table beer today. So I took a couple of pictures of their back yard. And, I’ll explain the picnic table beer. You may remember that I lived in a farm for almost 40 years. Well, various areas of the property were areas to have a beer. And so it is with my son. For an outside visit in not great weather, there could be a garage beer door open, but still sitting inside…. Then a driveway beer, garage door open in case we have to go inside because it starts to rain. Then there’s a Picnic table beer when the weather is great and that‘s what we had today."

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_10_14

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_10_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was simple today. Grilled cheese on rye.
For lunch it was a bagel with vegetable cream cheese spread.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 863604796 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LORE !!! June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 863604796

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM JIMMY & TINA TOO!
HAVE A DELICIOUS DAY AND CELEBRATION LORE June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 1f41f

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday, Lore!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'Ladies' Lunch' and there were just 3 of us ~ so we decided to drive to Ocala, about 35 minutes north on the highway, to a restaurant I've read about having excellent reviews. It's apparently a chain restaurant (because when I googled it I found 4 or 5 locations across the state), called Yummy House. Chinese cuisine ~ and the reviews were RIGHT!

I was scared it was going to be awful and then my 2 friends would never travel to try anything different with me again.....but both voted it the best we've ever had.

It's the ONLY Chinese restaurant I've found around here that offers Honey Walnut Shrimp, and although it didn't have the usual broccoli it was still the taste I was expecting. I ate EVERY BITE! (so, probably NO supper being cooked tonight)

They also offer Dim Sum on the weekend, which we will definitely try the next time. The menu has about 893 offerings....SO MUCH and no way to make decisions with 3 women, 2 of whom were as awed by the menu as I was.

So, next time we go I will take my 'cheater' eyeglasses and hopefully be able to read the small print on the huge menu and we'll do a table full of interesting dishes.

NormM

NormM

I smoked some ribs from a new cookbook. It had a Cherry BBQ sauce. Charlie has loved Cherry BBQ sauce for as long as I can remember. He always created his own. This was the first time I found one someone else dreamed up. it was a little spicier than his.June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 20220614

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I checked out the recipe for the BBQ Sauce and it really didn't seem to have anything really spicy ~ although I've not used the chipotle chile powder before.

But possibly the spice came from the dry rub.

No matter ~ it looks good and I'll take your word for the taste. Nice!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Oven roasted veggies, mushrooms, red andyellow peppers, yellow zucchini, onions. And jumbo shrimp sautéed in butter.
Yumm!"

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_11_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was Tina's Uncles 100th birthday party. Italian restaurant and for 35 bucks a plate ..... it was a lot heavy, but well worth it.
I didn't go, because it was too far for me with oxygen supply.
$ cuh... ching... $$$$ $1,190.00
It really surprised him.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Norm, I checked out the recipe for the BBQ Sauce and it really didn't seem to have anything really spicy ~ although I've not used the chipotle chile powder before.

But possibly the spice came from the dry rub.

No matter ~ it looks good and I'll take your word for the taste.  Nice!

I wasn't especially spicy, just had a little more kick to it than the way Charlie has made it. HE liked it better than his version.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made chicken chunks finished in the Korean BBQ Sauce. Made a cucumber/onion salad to go with it.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_12_16

JanaAZ

He wants poutine….and so it will be. Lol

You’d think he was from Canada or something. He’s always asking for poutine

bethk

bethk
Admin

I stopped at the store to get a couple things we needed and, as always, took a stroll through the produce department. You never know when they will be stocking the fresh stuff.

And today was one of those days. They had beautiful zucchini (the smaller ones I prefer) that weren't bruised, scraped or withered. Then one of the staff just happened to be putting out the 'new' asparagus. Even though it came from California, it traveled well and was lovely with nice tight crowns.

Finally, as I was about to leave, yet another employee showed up pushing a huge cart with root vegetables and the freshest collards I've seen in a long, long time. I couldn't resist getting a bunch. Those collard then sent me around to the smoked meat counter ~ no smoked turkey wings I was going to pick up but a nice (and inexpensive) package of smoked pork neck bones ended up in my basket.

So, instead of the $10 ~ 3 items I went into the store for I ended up with $50 and 6 bags full!

I don't know if I'll make the collards for tonight or tomorrow....I've got them cleaned and ready to go and the pork is simmering away (sure smells good). But I prefer to let my stock sit overnight in the refrigerator so I can remove the fat.....we'll see. Maybe ~ maybe not.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had an English muffin toasted and shmeared with onion cream cheese spread

Lunch was a steak and peppers with cheese, that Tina picked me up from a new place called Primo's She had a meatball hero.
Supper will be whatever we can both decide we want.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The collards will be for tomorrow.......

Tonight was burgers on the charcoal grill and zucchini and corn (cut from the cob). I have to say, the corn I had tonight is probably the best of the season so far. It was something like $0.33/ear ~ still a bit more than the usual 5/$1, but when you're only in need of 2 ears, the price isn't much of an issue.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_13_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Getting used to setting my oven to come on while I’m at my volunteering job. I put a frozen London broil and a large Yukon gold potato in before I left about 12:30, temp 350 F to come on at 4:30. It smelled so good when I came home at 5:30, all I needed to do was to steam some of the fabulous local asparagus available now. I love, love asparagus."

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_13_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is Southern Supper Cooking Day!

I've got red beans & andouille sausage simmering away on the stove as well as a pot of collard greens with smoked pork (from making stock yesterday with smoked pork neck bones).  By the time supper time rolls around all I'll have to do is make a little rice and maybe a small pan of cornbread (using Jiffy Mix because it's so easy).

The red beans were soaked overnight.  They're NOT kidney beans but a smaller, rounder bean sold around here and simply called 'red beans'.  I guess if you grew up here you just know that.  I started by browning my andouille sausage (some sliced, some chopped) to render some of the flavorful fat.  That was used to cook my onion, celery & peppers that were picked from the patio pots.  I seasoned with some of the Tony Chachere's Creole Original Seasoning, fresh chopped thyme and a couple bay leaves.  I used about 1/2 pound of the red beans so I started the pot going with 4 cups of my smoked pork stock.  I'll simmer it for an hour & a half and then check to see how much longer it'll need to get the beans tender and thick ~ will probably let it simmer without a lid for the last 45 minutes or so.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_12

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_13

My collard greens were washed (3 times) yesterday, drained well and stashed in the old Tupperware 'Big Green Bowl' in the refrigerator overnight.  This morning I chopped the onion and grabbed the rest of the ingredients, including a bit of brown sugar & cider vinegar that I forgot to put into my picture.  The collards will simmer for probably an hour and then I'll taste test them to see if they need longer, as well as adjust seasonings.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_14

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a total success!

We both ate until we exploded.....well, not really, but neither one of us would have gone looking for dessert!

The Red Beans over Rice was thick & rich, spicy without being 'burn-your-mouth' so and there was just enough of the sausage to make it feel as if it was meat filled. The collards were a tad sweet (I think I added a little too much brown sugar) but were still pretty tasty and also had some spice from the hot red pepper flakes that were added. The cornbread, although from a box, was tender without falling apart and didn't need the butter ~ but, hey, why not?

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight small Reuben sandwich and a salad of cuc, yellow pep, radish, onion and feta. Yum!"

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 2 06_14_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight ~ I had to drive to Ocala (40 minutes each way) to finally get the second key fob for the car.....the car we bought in FEBRUARY and have been promised ever since that we would be getting the key fob!

It was so much simpler when all you had to do was go to Ace Hardware and have them cut a new key for your car.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum