Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins! Is it getting hot in the kitchen???

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a couple packages of knockwurst that were BOGO so I decided tonight was a good night to have them (actually, I had NO idea what to fix and this was the first thing that I spied when I opened the freezer.....)

So, broiled knockwurst (HE had his on toasted buns) with Bush's beans (doctored up with bacon & seasonings) and some chips & dip.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_01_16

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I D K ...? I'm lost already.
So far, had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast.... No lunch.
Supper may be lasagna ~ so far ;as thoughts spin around.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea is coming for a few days visit......haven't seen her in just about a year.....so it'll be good to just sit and stare at one another. LOL

I thawed out (and cleaned) some shrimps for supper. Don't know if they'll get fried or grilled ~ I'll bet probably grilled. Hopefully she'll have some idea of what sides to make.

The weather report sounds pretty crummy for the weekend ~ lots of rain predicted due to the storm coming from the west. Hopefully it'll hold off a day or so because we'd like to go to Tarpon Springs tomorrow. If it's pouring rain we'll have to come up with 'Plan B'.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We all enjoyed tonight's supper ~ Andrea was happy to sit & watch me cook. (she usually cooks for their family every night, too)

I lightly seasoned the shrimp with some olive oil, cajun seasoning & black pepper. The asparagus got olive oil and s&p. Both got cooked on the grill mats and nothing got burned, stuck to the grates or lost between the grates. Man, I love those mats!

I also made the baby potatoes ~ boiled until tender, split with a fork and then shallow fried until crispy in hot oil. Seasoned with sea salt and a mixture of fresh chopped herbs from the patio pots: parsley, chives & a tiny bit of rosemary. Made the cucumbers & onions with sour cream & vinegar syrup because we always had that when Andrea lived at home.....her family's not a fan so it's a treat when she's here.

All in all, it was a huge success! And no one was left hungry.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_02_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well....It boiled down to Salmon broiled, seasoned with coconut
flavored soy, and olive oil. Zucchini stir fried chopped and browned.
A small finger size cannoli, and later on, one scoop of chocolate ice cream.
Tina had fried spaghetti in oil and butter. She is not a fan of salmon. Neither am I, but I will eat it if it is cooked well and seared well.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftovers re-vamped. I made tabbouleh a couple f days ago, but really didn’t have enough parsley. So it was bland. Added a bit more today, as well as some chopped cucumber, half a chopped jalapeño and some feta! Yumm, will do this again. I also had some left over sirloin steak that I had done in my oven using the air fry feature. Sautéed some mushrooms and onion, add the sliced steak and dinner was ready and yummy!"

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_03_13

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We drove the 2 hours to Tarpon Springs. Got there in time for lunch at Rusty Bellies ~ a nice place with fresh seafood.

We shared a buffalo shrimp appetizer ~ nicely seasoned with something other than the 'normal' buffalo sauce.

Andrea had grouper tacos, I had fried clam strips & Dane had fish & chips.

Then we made a stop at a small Greek Grocery Store. Unfortunately they didn't have the big bags of bay leaves I was hoping to pick up ~ they are having as much difficulty as everyone else in getting supplies shipped in. But Andrea did pick up a nice chunk of Greek Feta and a bottle of Greek wine.

Tomorrow we might make a watermelon feta salad for lunch.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_03_14

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_03_15

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_03_16

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_03_17

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

Dinner was quick and easy and early because Charlie is going to a car meet. It was steak and corn on the grill and a small salad.June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 20220610

bethk, cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had spaghetts and meat sauce. Tina was gone all day. Was at the hair dressers, and errands to run.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea wants to take us out for supper at Chop House (it would be impolite to refuse....) so we just made a small lunch at home.

She asked if I had any empanadas, and I had them in the freezer. I thawed them in the microwave and fried them in a bit of oil. Then she made a Greek style salad for herself with some of the Greek feta we picked up in Tarpon Springs. She said it was excellent (I wouldn't know....)

So, everything is done as far as cooking for today.

I've got chicken wings thawing for lunch tomorrow to make before she drives down to Orlando to spend the night because her flight is early on Monday morning and it's about 1 1/4 hours to get there from here.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely dinner at Chop House last night ~ the food was excellent, same as always.

Andrea will be leaving this evening to stay in a hotel next to the airport because her flight is at 7:00 in the morning. She asked if we could make the 'Norm/Alton Brown Chicken Wings' for supper ~ she wanted to give them a try.

So, wings tonight.....and an Arugula, Watermelon, Red Onion & Feta (for some....) Salad. Not exactly Chop House fare but tasty none the less!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had an early supper so Andrea can get on the road and not hit the busy traffic near Orlando. She'll want to get to bed early since she has to get up early for her flight in the morning.

Supper was really tasty, albeit not all that fancy......

Frank's Original Buffalo Wings done with Norm's/Alton Brown's steamed/baked version. We made an Arugula, Watermelon, Red Onion, Pepita, Feta Salad with a dressing of lemon juice, honey, olive oil and just a few shakes of Tabasco Sauce. It was really good and definitely one I'll do again.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_05_15

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_05_16

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_05_17

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I cooked a small pork shoulder in the smoker today. It was chopped and we made sandwiches with it.June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 20220611
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 20220612

bethk, cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Smoked GOODNESS !!!

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea flew home this morning ~ misses our Florida sunshine for sure!  She got home to rain & hail......doesn't sound like much fun to me.

So I started straightening out the refrigerator.  Decided it was a good night to have steak salads ~ I had just enough baby romaine lettuce for the two of us.  I cut the leftover steaks from our Chop House dinner wafer thin and had plenty for two.  I boiled the last of the eggs in the carton and chopped up some vegetables.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_06_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was lasagna Tina made.
Lunch was a bologna and cheese on sourdough bread.
Breakfast was whole wheat pancakes.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tacos tonight.......Soft tacos for him ~ taco salad for me.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_07_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was Philly cheese steaks tonight.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out some chicken thighs this morning. When they were still a bit frosty I de-boned them. The scraps go into the 'Parts-is-Parts' bag in the freezer to use when making stock.

I did everything on the gas grill.....seasoned the thighs & cooked them skin side down in a PAM sprayed foil pan to render the fat & crisp up the skin. When the fat was off they got finished on the grates without getting stuck or flaring into charcoal. The potatoes got pre-cooked in the microwave and rolled in the rendered chicken schmaltz and then browned on the grates. The asparagus was pretty thick so I peeled the stalks, seasoned with olive oil and s&p and they got grilled until tender on the grates. Oh, and I also grilled a couple thick slices of onion, started in a foil covering until steamed tender and then finished on the grates ~ I like onion on my potato.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_08_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I had some left over beef from when I did a steak in the oven a few days ago. Also had some yummy mushrooms to fry up, so, onions in the pan, then mushrooms and the beef, and I put some fingerling potatoes in the oven….. a little oil, some spices, set the oven to 375 and they were done in about 20 minutes. Yumm!
I only found fingerling potatoes about two years ago. Love them now!"

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_08_15

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Fried Breaded chicken. Extra crispy for me. Rice and for dessert, a 1/4 of a cheese Danish.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had whatever we could find in the refrigerator.....

HE said it would be good to clean it out..........

You all know how I feel about leftovers ~ ~ ~ but, on the bright side, I didn't have to come up with an idea and I didn't have to cook!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina came up with a good one. CHILI over Angel hair spaghetti

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, tiny lamb chops on a rice medley, and a “salad” of a yellow heirloom tomato, radish slices, onion and parsley."

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_09_12

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Johnsonville brats for supper tonight ~ I buy the 'original' brats and simmer them in whatever inexpensive beer that's in the garage refrigerator. Then they get browned on the gas grill.

I made boiled potatoes and HIS favorite (you guessed it!) Lima Beans.

I also made a tri-color slaw with some red & green cabbage, a grated carrot and some toasted pepitas (they're kept in the freezer so they don't go rancid in the Florida warmth). I dressed it with some of a dressing I made and stashed in the refrigerator. I have to say, the slaw was pretty darn tasty ~ wish I could remember what I made that dressing for because then I could probably write down a 'recipe' so I can make it again.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? 06_10_12

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum