Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins! Is it getting hot in the kitchen???

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Cookin Lore

I am baking gluten free biscuits for son's kitchen manager at the brewery to try. Pictures to follow later!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

JanaAZ

We stopped in the Asian market the other day and I bought a few things. But I decided to make a few things that didn’t really require inspiration….scallion pancakes and egg rolls. My friend brought over an Asian Napa salad and it almost rounded out our meal of appetizers. I made an egg roll dipping sauce that I sure wish I would have written up a recipe. It was good….but not ever recreatable. For dessert, I kept it simple and made almond cookies. You can’t get decent Chinese food where I live so if you want it…you better figure out how to make it

I forgot to take photos but I did take photos of the unfried egg rolls June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 96553b10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:We stopped in the Asian market the other day and I bought a few things. But I decided to make a few things that didn’t really require inspiration….scallion pancakes and egg rolls. My friend brought over an Asian Napa salad and it almost rounded out our meal of appetizers. I made an egg roll dipping sauce that I sure wish I would have written up a recipe. It was good….but not ever recreatable.  For dessert, I kept it simple and made almond cookies. You can’t get decent Chinese food where I live so if you want it…you better figure out how to make it

I forgot to take photos but I did take photos of the unfried egg rolls June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 96553b10

Do you fry or bake your egg rolls?  I've done both and definitely like the fried better.  

I also usually make the gyoza as well and make a soy sauce/ginger/water dipping sauce that is very nice (and easy).  I like the pork ones best.

Fortunately for 'Lazy Me', I've found an excellent restaurant not far away that I'm going to try again ~ they have dim  sum on weekends.  I'm hoping they have 'soup dumplings'.  Last time there I had their Walnut Shrimp and it was VERY good.  Just as I expected.

Last edited by bethk on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted to go out this evening but HE didn't.

HE won. I ended up thawing 3 burger patties (6 oz. each) and made a big pot of marinara, like I always do. I start with the burger, add onion/celery/carrot & a hand crushed can of San Marzano tomatoes. I simmer that with any parmesan rinds I happen to have and a couple stems of the patio pot basil (I remove it when it's given up it's flavor to the pot).

Then I've got enough marinara to fill two jars to go into the freezer and the rest is used for supper.

I decided to make a sort of goulash ~ where the pasta is cooked in the thinned out marinara (I use some V-8 and water). As the pasta cooks it absorbs the liquid and thickens it to a good sauce. I layered it in a casserole dish with some shredded mozarella and heated it through in the toaster oven.

It's not the most creative meal I've made but it was good for the rainy night we're having.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_24_12

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_24_13

JanaAZ likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 Baby_i10

This is what Tina gets me for dessert..... This time I asked for 2 Please...
One Bite, and It's gone down the old hatch.
L00Ks Like ---- "Honey. Who Shrunk The Cones?"

bethk, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:We stopped in the Asian market the other day and I bought a few things. But I decided to make a few things that didn’t really require inspiration….scallion pancakes and egg rolls. My friend brought over an Asian Napa salad and it almost rounded out our meal of appetizers. I made an egg roll dipping sauce that I sure wish I would have written up a recipe. It was good….but not ever recreatable.  For dessert, I kept it simple and made almond cookies. You can’t get decent Chinese food where I live so if you want it…you better figure out how to make it

Do you fry or bake your egg rolls?  I've done both and definitely like the fried better.  

I also usually make the gyoza as well and make a soy sauce/ginger/water dipping sauce that is very nice (and easy).  I like the pork ones best.

Fortunately for 'Lazy Me', I've found an excellent restaurant not far away that I'm going to try again ~ they have dim  sum on weekends.  I'm hoping they have 'soup dumplings'.  Last time there I had their Walnut Shrimp and it was VERY good.  Just as I expected.

I fry them. I make my own wrappers for soup dumplings and pork buns but since these are readily available I just buy the egg roll wrappers. I wish we had a good Chinese restaurant but I haven’t found a Chinese restaurant as good as Chicago had….even in Phoenix

I didn’t make these the other day, but these are my pork buns made totally from scratch

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 1de85510

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:

I forgot to take photos but I did take photos of the unfried egg rolls

I fry them. I make my own wrappers for soup dumplings and pork buns but since these are readily available I just buy the egg roll wrappers. I wish we had a good Chinese restaurant but I haven’t found a Chinese restaurant as good as Chicago had….even in Phoenix

I didn’t make these the other day, but these are my pork buns made totally from scratch

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 1de85510

Beautiful buns you made Jana, I also made some times, but not too successful

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We went on short vacation on the 12nd and back on the 15nd,  a short escape from AZ heat, a road trip to San Diego, I always love that place, it's in 70'F the whole year round, we spent time exploring the beaches, it was nice.

On Father's Day, we had dinner in remembrance of my late FiL, I cooked a couple of his favorite Chinese food, Walnut shrimps and Chow mien
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 41865710
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 8c1b0011
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 B0cf8011

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:We went on short vacation on the 12nd and back on the 15nd,  a short escape from AZ heat, a road trip to San Diego, I always love that place, it's in 70'F the whole year round, we spent time exploring the beaches, it was nice.

On Father's Day, we had dinner in remembrance of my late FiL, I cooked a couple of his favorite Chinese food, Walnut shrimps and Chow mien
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 41865710
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 8c1b0011
June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 B0cf8011

Imelda, your meal looks fantastic! I want to share it all with you!

I only recently found a restaurant nearby (well, a 40 minute ride, but that's close enough for me) that makes Walnut Shrimp! I was SO excited!!! And it was really good. I know I can make it ~ but there's so many components and I've become lazy.....same reason I don't make pan fried dumplings, filled wontons or even egg rolls. Lazy ~ Lazy ~ LAZY !!!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Chinese BBQ Pork Ribs ( boneless ) . Won Ton soup, and the last of the lemon pie.
Would you believe, I still feel hungry !!!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a small pork tenderloin thawing......not sure what I'll do with it for supper.

I also just mixed up some sour cream/vinegar syrup dressing and thin sliced a cucumber and half an onion to have.  I used the last of my refrigerator supply of vinegar syrup so I just brought 2 c. white sugar and 2 c. cider vinegar to a boil (with the vent hood on high!) to let it sit and cool enough to add back to the now clean plastic bottle to replenish the refrigerator supply.

For some reason I'm hungry for frozen mixed vegetables.....don't know if I have any in the freezer.  My freezer is in need of some serious organization being done ~ but not today.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far it was a bagel with lox and cream cheese for breakfast.
Tonight, it will be the fried cubed zucchini with sun dried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes; over pasta.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had only cottage cheese, banana and two apricots for breakfast. Now finished some great cheese (Brie and Blue) with crackers for lunch........................... Then I am going to see the new ELVIS movie! Our local theatres were renovated during the shutdowns during the pandemic. Wider reclining seats, and alcoholic drinks available at the concession stand. So, I'll have some white wine, and watch Elvis resurrected (sort of) Supper will be leftovers from my dinner last night, I went to a local Indian restaurant.

I am soooooo looking forward to the movie. Apparently both Pricilla and Lisa Marie give it both thumbs up!

bethk

bethk
Admin

My Pork Tenderloin came out really tasty. I seared it in a little cast iron skillet and then finished it in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes ~ added an apricot preserve/Sweet Baby Ray's glaze. The peach salsa I made was a nice compliment to the pork. I'm glad I made it.

But it sure looks like a 'Yellow Supper' ~ since I spooned the corn over my smashed boiled potatoes. I do like corn or peas on top of my potatoes and tonight was no different than when I was 12 years old! The cucumber salad was a nice, cooling addition.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_26_21

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My Pork Tenderloin came out really tasty.  I seared it in a little cast iron skillet and then finished it in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes ~ added an apricot preserve/Sweet Baby Ray's glaze.  The peach salsa I made was a nice compliment to the pork.  I'm glad I made it.

But it sure looks like a 'Yellow Supper' ~ since I spooned the corn over my smashed boiled potatoes.  I do like corn or peas on top of my potatoes and tonight was no different than when I was 12 years old!  The cucumber salad was a nice, cooling addition.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_26_21
Beth, I see you like a little meat and potatoes with your corn.
HA haha!
Our son has to have his corn on top his mashed potatoes. He will not eat corn alone.....Or peas.
Not me!  ..... I don't like anything touching my food together; but I will eat a dessert on my soiled plate.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
HA haha!
Our son has to have his corn on top his mashed potatoes. He will not eat corn alone.....Or peas.
Not me!  ..... I don't like anything touching my food together; but I will eat a dessert on my soiled plate.

Jimmy, it's not corn on my meat......that's my peach salsa: chopped peach, onion, banana pepper, green onion, rice vinegar, honey and s&p

HE won't eat any fruit salsa or sauces I make so they're all mine!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
HA haha!

Jimmy, it's not corn on my meat......that's my peach salsa:  chopped peach, onion, banana pepper, green onion, rice vinegar, honey and s&p

HE won't eat any fruit salsa or sauces I make so they're all mine!
Oh...Ok!.... I will say, that Salsa Sounds Great.
It sounds good. ......... See!!!Now I am wishing for Salsa. Tina just bought me salt free Corn Chips...... Pretzels too!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm in such a cooking funk right now. Nothing comes to mind when it's time to plan a meal. Fortunately, I happened upon a couple marinated London Broil Steaks in the freezer and figured a steak on the grill would do just fine for supper.

So, grilled marinated steak, baked potatoes, red beets and the leftover cucumber/onion salad.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_27_14

JanaAZ

I started making a pasta primavera salad but by the time I was done, it was nothing like pasta primavera.

I sautéed fresh corn, carrots and peas together, then took  shells and some cooked chicken and added sliced mushrooms, green onions, red.yellow peppers cherry tomatoes and bacon. I made a ranch type dressing for it. Not bad. Don’t ask me to make it again because it was a refrigerator clean out dish. Pretty good June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 584b4710

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Codfish cooked in a wine and butter sauce. Yellow rice, and a scoop of chocolate ice cream for dessert.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Brunch sort of, of pork boneless BBQ ribs from the Chinese restaurant.

Tina put a pot of halupki ( stuffed cabbage leaves ) for tomorrow, and for tasting tonight.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided on fish this morning.....during my daily perusal of 'what's-in-the-freezer' forage...

HE got a piece of salmon & I made a small piece of grouper dredged in panko for myself. It was nice to have all the cooking odors outside since I usually cook fish on a grill mat on the gas grill. That, and it takes just minutes to cook once the grill is up to temperature.

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_28_17

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_28_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salad of cuc, tomato, onion and pea shoots. Then bone in chicken breast and a very large Hasselback potato."

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_28_19

June, 2022 ~ Summer Begins!  Is it getting hot in the kitchen??? - Page 5 06_28_20

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had plans to make steak salad tonight ~ but it will be tomorrow night's supper.

Neighbor Jim called and asked if we wanted to go out to Lopez Country Club for 'Twin Lobster Tail' supper.  

How could we possibly turn down that offer?

LOL

Last edited by bethk on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was stuffed cabbages and mashed potatoes and gravy.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum