Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

NormM

NormM

Easter dinner was ham baked according to package directions and glazed with one part Boar's Head Brown Sugar and Spice Ham Glaze and three parts apricot preserves. Tasted the glaze and added a little more Ham Glaze. Deviled eggs were made with mayo, Dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, and some powdered Ranch dressing mix. Just about everything else was leftover from yesterday.April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 20220420
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 20220419

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks really good, Norm.

Peach or apricot preserves are a favorite of mine for glazing any kind of pork.

(I still say, "You made BREAD!!!".......it would be gone by now if anywhere near me)

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

what a massive meal the girls produced.
A 15 pound turkey / a cooks but smoked ham. Two pans of lasagna.
A prime rib roast / A smoked and a fresh kielbasa. Sweet potatoes / mashed
potatoes and gravy. 4 Easter breads ( pizzacaine ) Hot cross buns, a cheesecake, a peanut butter pie. Home made nut rolls. cookies, candy,
Fresh asparagus, fresh green beans, dinner rolls.
Uncle Elmer came up. His care giver drove him up, and our son jimmy took him back.home.......Now Tina stripped off all the meat, and will make turkey soup tomorrow.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's pick for supper. Chili Dogs with Jimmy's Greek Chili Sauce......Sweet Kale Salad because I went to Sam's Club this afternoon.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_18_25

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The day was all leftovers al day..... Just had rice pudding.
Christina Ferrari's recipe. On the creamy side but good. I prefer the dryer
pudding my mom used to make.
Right now, it is raining ice pellets, and snow.

I got my blood test results.... the nurse called and said the Dr. said to take my med for the sugar in a half dose. The tradeoff, is I am anemic, and will have to take liver pills. I remember "Carter's little liver pills!" No

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore sent pics from her vacation:

"Lunch & Dinner. Not cooked by me, but my friend Joan in Victoria, BC lunch was a rice stack with broccoli salad, dinner mussels with black bean sauce. Yummy! Weather is lousy, cold and very windy."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_18_26

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_18_27

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'bean picking' day, again!

There are enough to freeze but I think half of these will be used for some sort of chicken & green bean stew to spoon over some rice for supper. Not quite sure how that'll shake out but for now, that's the plan.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_19_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, ideas come and ideas go.....

I ended up making a vodka sauce using a can of Italian San Marzano whole tomatoes.  I really do like the flavor of the imported tomatoes.  But I am picky when I use them ~ I pull out the core and any bunches of seeds (I DON'T like seeds!) as I hand crush them.  Often times there are chunks of tomato skin at the top of the tomato as well.  

I followed an easy recipe I found on allrecipes.com for the vodka sauce ~ saute onion in butter, add vodka & cook down to half, add tomatoes & simmer for about 20-30 minutes and finally add some heavy cream and cook another 10 minutes.  Oh, I did add a bit of red pepper flakes to the onion.

I have a chicken breast cut up into small, bite size pieces that I'll saute in some olive oil, probably add a bit of the red pepper flakes with a small chopped onion.  Then I have some of the green beans I picked this morning and blanched.  They'll get added as well as the leftover grilled asparagus from last night.  Then I'll add a bit of the vodka sauce.  Finally add some cooked farfale pasta and maybe some pasta water or more vodka sauce, depending upon how it looks & tastes.

I made some garbanzo bean salad this morning with fresh cooked garbanzo beans, celery, carrot, onion & cucumber along with the chopped fire roasted hot banana peppers and some oven roasted grape tomatoes I roasted the other day ~ dressed with bottled Zesty Italian Dressing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty. HE just asked for some fresh grated parm on his pasta ~ easy as there's always a chunk in the refrigerator and it's easy to microplane over his meal right at the table.

The garbanzo salad marinated once it was all mixed together and the Zesty Italian Dressing was added. The fire roasted hot banana peppers I chopped into the salad became much hotter after sitting for a while. When I tasted them (and I taste tested each of them before adding them) they were somewhat sweet and just had a bit of heat. Once the salad came together the heat came out. HE thought it was really good. Next time I would add less and chop them a little smaller so the heat is distributed a bit more.....

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_19_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yep!...... little bits and pieces / of leftovers.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out the last of the shrimps from the last run to Homosassa Fish Market ~ they are so good and SO huge (10-12 to the pound). I thought I was going to use them for a stir fry but decided to coat them with cornstarch/corn flour and shallow fry them. Then I cleaned the pan and did a stir fry of a bunch of veg while the shrimps sat on a small rack in the toaster oven, set at 250° which kept them nice and warm without becoming soggy while the veg cooked.

I sauced the veg with whatever sauce I had in the refrigerator ~ thinned out with a bit of chicken stock. I made basmati rice to go with everything.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_20_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What a Day.  Tina took DIL's mother for Dinner at red lobster.
All was good. On way back, they stopped at WalMart. A 40 minute drive.
Went to come home, and the Key Fob ( car Door open Clicker ), flew off he purse, and fell on the ground in the W Mart Parking lot.No big deal, she
thought, and thought it just broke off, and I would fix it.
She brought me Breaded Cod and Fries; and coleslaw.
In the mean time, Tina runs back to the store paking lot to look for
the mechanical key, but failed to look in her purse as I suggested she do.
She calls me, and states she sees nothing in the lot. 4o minutes back
home she watches tv, and my cousin calls to b s and said to Tina, "Did you check your purse?", and There it was.... On the neck rope / key / store
card neck thing.  April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 1f601  April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 2734  April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 2733  April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 2747  April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 2797

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went to lunch at a new restaurant in her end of The Villages, Harvest. It's had some really good reviews and touts a 'farm to table / locally grown produce' theme.

Lyn had a turkey dip sandwich ~ roast turkey w/cheese on a fresh ciabatta with a turkey jus and it came with crispy butter baby potatoes.

I had their butternut squash soup and kale, prosciutto, fig salad (comes with apricot goat cheese which I asked to have withheld....).

Everything we ate was delicious and the good reviews are definitely warranted.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_21_17

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_21_18

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_21_19

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had cod broiled. Tina had a bite. DD made peel and eat shrimp.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a charcoal grilled burger (medium) with some macaroni salad and the last picking of patio pot green beans.

The next batch of beans is just in blossoms so it will be a few days until they're ready to pick

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_22_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Darrrrrrrn..... Tried to get this site for two days, and all I got was the wheel spinnimg around. Anyway, it will be pierogies tonight from the
Ukrainian church by sons in great meadows. Today is our anniversary.
1967 I think ? ....can't do the math; all I know its a long time.

NormM

NormM

Someone brought over some French Onion dip and I thought of the way back time when people bought a tub of sour cream and mixed in a pack of dry Liptons Onion soup mix and wondered if they still made it and if it would taste better than what they got at the store. I got some and tried it and it was better. It also had a recipe for hamburger patties that I tried and we liked it a lot.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Darrrrrrrn..... Tried to get this site for two days, and all I got was the wheel spinnimg around. Anyway, it will be pierogies tonight from the
Ukrainian church by sons in great meadows. Today is our anniversary.
1967 I think ? ....can't do the math; all I know its a long time.  

55 !!!

You and Tina are at year 55 and counting (actually the beginning of year 56.....)

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!!

(you're 1 - 1/2 years ahead of us......of course, I was 12 when we married.....LOL)

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Someone brought over some French Onion dip and I thought of the way back time when people bought a tub of sour cream and mixed in a pack of dry Liptons Onion soup mix and wondered if they still made it and if it would taste better than what they got at the store.  I got some and tried it and it was better. It also had a recipe for hamburger patties that I tried and we liked it a lot.

Yup ~ the 'original' French Onion Dip. Sometimes I add some softened cream cheese to change it a bit. I think it's the 'beef' flavoring that makes it work. I find when I want to add some of the Lipton's dry soup mix to my meatloaf I like it better if I rehydrate the onions & bloom the beef stock with just a few tablespoons of boiling water.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper cooking tonight. Today was 'Ladies Lunch' and I don't do two meals in one day.....normally.

Dane ended up with a cheese omelette with rye toast (I shared my 'secret' supply of frozen deli rye bread with him......hope he appreciated it!)

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night I pulled two proteins from the freezer ~ chicken wings and half rack of ribs.  This morning I asked Dane which he wanted for tonight, mentioning the other would be for tomorrow.

Tonight we'll be having wings.  I'll do the Norm/Alton Brown suggestion of steaming/baking for crispy bits to slather in a sauce.  But, hmmmmm ~ wondering if finishing them on the gas grill might result in even MORE crisp.......that would cause no heat in the kitchen.

Gotta think about that.

And I've got to come up with ideas for sides.  I know I have some broccoli.  Maybe blanch and then brown up on the grill or in the oven..........

So many decisions!

After looking over everything in the refrigerator & pantry I decided I WILL roast/grill off the broccoli (probably in the oven) as well as the wings. Dane will probably want a different sauce on his drummies than I want on my flat/tips ~ but that's easy enough to do at the last minute.

I noticed the English cucumber was in the vegetable drawer ~ I just sliced it thin with a bit of onion and added a sour cream/vinegar syrup dressing. Happy that's one cucumber that won't get tossed because I forgot about it and let it get mushy.

I saw the rest of the bag of baby potatoes and decided I'll steam them until really tender, then break in half and shallow fry in oil until crispy. I've got chopped parsley that I'll add to some sesame seeds and s&p to toss around once the potatoes are nice and crispy.

So, now supper is all planned ~ execution is easy once you've decided on what to make!

JanaAZ

I had some friends over for the weekend and as I always do, I had all the meals planned out. I don’t know when I’m going to learn, but nothing goes as planned. So, while dinner didn’t happen as I planned, breakfast did. I served them cinnamon rolls, orange rolls and bear claws….total sugar high. Lol.

I did make them lunch and we ended up snacking for dinner since we went out to see our neighbor’s band in the evening.

Any goodies we didn’t eat dor breakfast went home with them to share with their families.
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 E69a5610
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 F91f6b10
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 891df410

bethk

bethk
Admin

All those pastries look SO good!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Obviously, as you will see, I have WAY TOO MUCH TIME to play with my food!

Here's a photo journal of my FABULOUS crispy fried baby potatoes with parsley/sesame/salt:

Boil baby potatoes until tender in heavily salted water

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_15

Dry completely & break potatoes in half with forks to leave rough edges

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_16

Shallow fry in about 1" of 375° oil (Took 10-15 minutes)

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_17

When golden & crispy, remove to paper towel lined plate

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_18

Sprinkle hot crispy potatoes with a mixture of parsley/sesame seeds/salt

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_19

Broccoli/Onion & Steamed (refrigerator air dried) Wings on sheet pans ready for the convection oven (set at 475°)

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_20

My Buffalo Wing Supper and HIS Buffalo Wing Drummies (HE added more Frank's Wing Sauce to his after the pic was taken)

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_21

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 4 04_24_22

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was naked cheese burgers (one for me ).... Rice, and Chinese eggplant
left over from the other night. A couple fortune cookies from yesterday.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum