Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got tired of shuffling around the package of cubed steak in the freezer ~ so I thawed it out this morning, marinated it in buttermilk & sambal and will make chicken fried steak for supper.

I have the pieces already breaded in ap flour, cornstarch and s&p (LOTS of pepper.....) and are on a rack in the refrigerator, uncovered, so the flour can adhere to the meat and not fall off when I fry it in a bit of bacon fat (for flavor) and vegetable shortening.

After fried and crispy I'll hold the meat in a warm oven as I make a gravy with the leftover breading flour mixture and buttermilk/whole milk.

Mashed potatoes & green beans will finish off my meal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My Grandma Emch's Easter Cactus is in full bloom ~ a few days early but, hopefully, the plants will keep it up past Sunday.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_13_12

The chicken fried steak wasn't my best effort.....but at least it's out of the freezer and I don't have to keep moving it around to get to whatever else is in there! More beans from the patio pots ~ SO good!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_13_13

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. The last of the rice medley from a couple of days ago and a stir fry of chicken, onions, mushrooms and yellow peppers."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_13_14

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:My Grandma Emch's Easter Cactus is in full bloom ~ a few days early but, hopefully, the plants will keep it up past Sunday.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_13_12

The chicken fried steak wasn't my best effort.....but at least it's out of the freezer and I don't have to keep moving it around to get to whatever else is in there!  More beans from the patio pots ~ SO good!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_13_13

Is there actually an Easter cactus? I had one that always bloomed in November and April, never Christmas. I just thought it was confused. LOL

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be Beef stew tonight. Tina will make it; plus, the kids will be coming over, and the youngsters will color eggs for Easter.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out some chicken thighs for tonight's supper.  When they were still 'frosty' I cut out the bone so I skin-on boneless thighs.  Those are perfect to start in a cold cast iron skillet, putting another equal size skillet on top to hold them in direct contact with the skillet to get a nice, crispy skin.  It renders off all the excess fat and the meat still stays moist ~ and you all know the dark meat is my favorite.  

If I leave the bone in I sometimes have difficulty getting all the fat from around the meat to cook off and I end up with cooked but greasy chicken.

I steamed some broccoli in the microwave and made some yellow summer squash (seeded) with a sweet onion ~ browned in some evoo/butter over medium high heat.  I don't like the squash to get too soft so the higher heat still leaves it with some tender-crisp quality.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_14_14

Next week I have to go in for my 6 month check up.  For the last 2 years I've had an ongoing dialog with my GP about her insistence I go on Metforim for an A1c just a bit over (0.1% over the "recommended" levels) and a glucose of just at the acceptable non-pre diabetic standards.

The first of the year I decided I wanted to see if it really was worth avoiding the extra carbs that I had diligently been not cooking & eating.  I thought, why not be sure the carbs really are what cause my blood work to be elevated in the area.  Well, that was pretty stupid of me.  

I guess I knew it was a lost cause but I needed to prove it to myself.  And I ate all the breads I wanted, made noodles a number of times, had desserts when I didn't need to.......

So, NOW I have no one but myself to blame for getting prescribed medications I really don't want to take.  But, like I said, it's my own fault and a stupid stunt to prove to myself that I really DID know what I should be eating.....

I can hardly wait to see the smug look on Doc's face when she sends in that prescription for me ~ and even more so when she finds I don't argue about it.  

I haven't decided if I'm going to tell her about my 'test'......she'll probably just view that as an excuse.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a batch of Cuban Picadillo made and cooling down in the refrigerator. It's easier to fill & close the empanadas if the filling is not warm enough to make the discos soft.

I'll bake them off tonight & probably have some green beans along side since Dane picked them today.

Cookin Lore

How many beans did you plant? You mention patio pots, but it seems you're eating them every day! How about posting a picture of those patio pot gardens????

I am trying to use up as much of my perishables as possible today and tomorrow for lunch. Flight takes off from Toronto at 7:20 tomorrow evening. This is the longest, and most complicated trip I have ever attempted. 18 days, and only 6 will be staying with friends/relatives. The rest are one and two nighters in various hotels.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The patio pots are about 18" X 18" and Dane mixes up the soil and amends it as he deems necessary. He plants 2 bean plants in each pot and, depending upon the weather, they start growing in February or March. This is our second crop. As the plants stop producing he will hopefully have another couple pots ready to grow.

Right now there are 3 pots (6 plants) in full production. I have enough today to blanch & freezer for some other time. He's not wanting green beans for supper AGAIN tonight.....LOL

The second pic is of a pot that is not full grown and should start producing in a couple weeks. He just planted seeds in 2 more pots in the hopes he'll get one more crop before it gets too hot and they wither up and just stop growing.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_19

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_20

This is today's picking that I'll blanch & freeze:

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_21

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks, they look wonderful! And the beans look yummy! I surely wish I had a balcony, but don't want to move any more. When I bought this condo, there was another one that I really liked with a balcony, but it did not have indoor parking. And I said considering our winter weather, I was not going to park outside any more in my life. What a treat, I drive up to my door, push a button, and abracadabra, that door magically opens and I drive in, safe and secure!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane has always enjoyed gardening ~ and now it's just a variation of playing with vegetables. Last night I had Swiss chard from the patio pots. He still has lots of hot banana peppers that we share with anyone who would like some. He picks one to have with his lunch salad about 4 times a week.

Have fun, Lore, on your well deserved 'get-away' vacation. It's wonderful to share traveling with good friends!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Empanadas & Chips w/Salsa was supper. It wasn't a big meal but we both enjoyed it.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_23

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boring....... salmon and macaroni and cheese.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to lunch with the ladies today so there won't be any supper for me tonight.....I do have a piece of salmon thawed for Dane ~ he'll get some leftover mashed potatoes and a serving of green beans that I held out from the ones I blanched for the freezer.

And, yes, I did get the beans he picked yesterday snipped & blanched. I probably have about a gallon bag full in the freezer right now, flat on a sheet pan to freeze. Once they're frozen they'll get broken apart if they're stuck together and then put into a zip top bag to be kept until later in the year when we want some really good tasting beans and there are none available in the stores.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The patio pots are about 18" X 18" and Dane mixes up the soil and amends it as he deems necessary.  He plants 2 bean plants in each pot and, depending upon the weather, they start growing in February or March.  This is our second crop.  As the plants stop producing he will hopefully have another couple pots ready to grow.

Right now there are 3 pots (6 plants) in full production.  I have enough today to blanch & freezer for some other time.  He's not wanting green beans for supper AGAIN tonight.....LOL

The second pic is of a pot that is not full grown and should start producing in a couple weeks.  He just planted seeds in 2 more pots in the hopes he'll get one more crop before it gets too hot and they wither up and just stop growing.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_19

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_20

This is today's picking that I'll blanch & freeze:

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_15_21

Wonderful, Dane does a good job.. our plants are not doing well, mostly still dry out from winter except citrus trees, they are all blooming with maybe thousand of blossoms that smell very good, we have several varieties of oranges trees, same with lemon and a couple of Kaffir lime ( mostly used in Asian food, Thailand and Indonesian ).

I'm planning to bake Peach or Cherry pies, I can't think of what the name for the kind of pie that you put the filling in the middle of the crust and you fold up the end of the crust to, then brush the crust with egg wash, I can't even find the pictures on Google because I did not know what the name to start searching with Razz

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You're looking for a crostata.....

I make mine in a glass pie pan to help hold it's shape (better for me than trying to keep it from leaking on a sheet pan).

I lay the pie crust (usually a Pillsbury refrigerated one.....too lazy these days!) in the pie pan, add the filling and then pull it on top of and kind of pleat to have it fold over the filling. I brush it with milk or cream and then I sprinkle it with some of the crunchy decorative sugar that's used on cookies ~ I like the crunch!

A lot of times I'll crumple up a piece of parchment paper so it's easier to shape to the inside of the pie plate before I put in the crust. Then the juices, if they leak, or the sugar doesn't stick to the pie plate and it's easy to slide out when it's cool on to a plate to slice.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:You're looking for a crostata.....

I make mine in a glass pie pan to help hold it's shape (better for me than trying to keep it from leaking on a sheet pan).

I lay the pie crust (usually a Pillsbury refrigerated one.....too lazy these days!) in the pie pan, add the filling and then pull it on top of and kind of pleat to have it fold over the filling.  I brush it with milk or cream and then I sprinkle it with some of the crunchy decorative sugar that's used on cookies ~ I like the crunch!  

A lot of times I'll crumple up a piece of parchment paper so it's easier to shape to the inside of the pie plate before I put in the crust.  Then the juices, if they leak, or the sugar doesn't stick to the pie plate and it's easy to slide out when it's cool on to a plate to slice.

Yes Beth, I knew it something tata, but all I could think of is Frittata Rolling Eyes

Another question, I'm using canned peaches, do I have to thicken the peaches? Any more ingredient to be added?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Yes Beth, I knew it something tata, but all I could think of is Frittata Rolling Eyes

Another question, I'm using canned peaches, do I have to thicken the peaches? Any more ingredient to be added?  

When I use canned peaches I usually strain the peaches out and then use part of the juice to mix with cornstarch ~ I like to use only part of the juice so I have lots of fruit. I bring the juice & cornstarch to a rolling boil to be sure it's thick and let it cool down before I mix it back in with the peach slices. Then I add it to the crust. If you don't cool down the juices it will make a mess of your pie crust (soaking through, etc.) ~ ~ ~ ~ Don't ask how I know this! LOL

A lot of times I'll brush the bottom of the unbaked crust with a beaten egg. Then add the cooled filling, etc. I start baking at a high temperature (400° for about 15 minutes) and then drop the temp back down to 350° until it the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. The egg on the crust cooks faster than the filling and keeps the bottom of the crust from getting soggy from the wet filling.

A lot of people add cinnamon or nutmeg to peach pie but I just like the taste of the fruit ~ personal choice.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My green beans are frozen after blanching ~ I just dropped them into boiling water (with just a little salt) and let the water return to a boil. Then I removed the beans with a spider and put them in a bowl of ice water.

When cooled, I dried them on kitchen towels (CLEAN ONES! LOL) and then put them out in a single layer on little sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Into the freezer to get nice and frozen.

After they were frozen I broke apart any that were stuck together and put them into a gallon zip top bag ~ and put THAT bag inside another in the hopes they will be safe for a few months so we can enjoy them when fresh grown aren't available.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_16_12

Dane's salmon on the grill. All I did was sprinkle the filet with a tiny bit of s&p. Had the gas grill on high (500°) and just let it cook, skin side down. I didn't oil the skin so, of course, the skin stuck to the foil on the little foil lined pan. No big deal. It got golden and I just used tongs to move it off the skin (which is STILL stuck to the foil) and put it on Dane's plate.

I really don't like the smell in the house so cooking it outside on the gas grill is so much better for me!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_16_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a rib eye steak thawing in the refrigerator for my Easter Sunday meal.

Yeah, I'm a Heathen...terrible person........not going to church and not doing anything special.

For some reason I just don't get the thrill from holiday meals anymore.

It will be, however, our first born's birthday! Maybe I should buy a cupcake and put a candle in it in her honor.......

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"First vacation supper at the Toronto airport. Delicious beef curry Another hour before boarding."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_16_14

NormM

NormM

Charlie invited some people over for smoked brisket.
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 20220417
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 20220418

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

AND.....you made BREAD to go with it! YUM!!!

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Easter, Everyone!!!

I made a very 'non-traditional' meal for our Easter Holiday. It's just the 2 of us so no big holiday meal. But still, wanting it to be a 'special' meal, I grilled a beautiful ribeye over charcoal and then also grilled the asparagus......so very good!

I had leftover mashed potatoes and sauteed the last half of the package of mushrooms that were in the vegetable drawer.....he doesn't care for them so they were all for me!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_17_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

The charcoal was still really hot when I got done grilling supper so I put some of Dane's hot banana peppers over the coals to roast.

When they were blackened I put them in a bowl & covered it tightly with plastic wrap and just let them sit to steam & cool down.

It was easy to pull the skin off and then I slit them and scraped out the seeds & ribs.

They taste pretty sweet......surprising! There's still a bit of a bite but very mild compared to raw.

Not sure what I'll do with them but for now they're in the refrigerator waiting on an idea.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_17_14

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? - Page 3 04_17_15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum