Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February (2022) already!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:26 pm

Cookin Lore

Thanks................. I am going to try to pay more attention to colour and presentation! Looking at the picture again, if I would have cut the tomatoes in half, they probably would have looked more appetising also.

bethk likes this post

77February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ever since I read Imelda's post about pork chops I've been hungry for them. So, tonight's inspiration is compliments of HER! It's so nice to have friends who have the same tastes.

I also sent the recipe for the Lacquered Rib Eyes Norm made to my daughter. She has some steaks that she's going to cook later in the week and I thought the recipe sounded like something she'd enjoy.

Tonight's supper: Braised Pork Chops w/onions, baked butternut squash & creamed corn.

I'm ashamed to say my favorite parts of the pork chops were the edges that had a nice 'fat' cap and the bits along the bone (which I picked up and bit every part of.....)

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_24_13

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

78February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Made a small meatloaf, hasselback potato and carrots and sprouts. Gravy got a little thick but I was too lazy to change it."

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_24_14

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

79February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gravy looks just fine to me! Love the colors.

80February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:56 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Gravy looks just fine to me!  Love the colors.

Thanks. I know I have to remember when I eat out and there's gravy, to ask for it on the side because I don't want my food doing the backstroke on the plate! The carrots and sprouts look nice, but the carrots unfortunately are not very good and I bought a 5 pound bag. We've had some delivery problems with vegetables, I may end up actually throwing those out. Hate to waste them, but I can't imagine eating 5 pounds of not very good carrots! I generally buy fresh with the greens still on!

81February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Ever since I read Imelda's post about pork chops I've been hungry for them.  So, tonight's inspiration is compliments of HER!  It's so nice to have friends who have the same tastes.

I also sent the recipe for the Lacquered Rib Eyes Norm made to my daughter.  She has some steaks that she's going to cook later in the week and I thought the recipe sounded like something she'd enjoy.

Tonight's supper:  Braised Pork Chops w/onions, baked butternut squash & creamed corn.

I'm ashamed to say my favorite parts of the pork chops were the edges that had a nice 'fat' cap and the bits along the bone (which I picked up and bit every part of.....)

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_24_13

I also like the bone part (with fat ), I usually cut it off (for myself) before serving for them ( my MiL likes lean meat, with no fat at all ), pork chops is on sale this week, 97cents/lbs at Safeway, I'm going to get a pack of them. I wonder if you all wash your meat before you cook or store them away. I always wash them, pat dry then put in plastic bags and store them in my freezer.

I like this forum, I always get ideas what to cook when I browse here, yesterday I saw your goulash, I remembered I had a tray of Italian sausage in my fridge and a pack of macaroni, so I made macaroni casserole with sausage, can tomato and cheese, I'll take picture of the leftover when I serve it again.

I have a Spaghetti squash in my pantry, I'll pair it with my pork chops this weekend

bethk likes this post

82February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Cookin Lore

"Ashamed" to admit that you like the very best part of a pork chop, or a steak, or just about anything else?

On one of our trips to Germany, hubby and I stopped in a small town for lunch. They had grilled pork hocks on the menu. Of course, we ordered one each. THey were so huge and sooooo good. I think they must have boiled them first, then put them on a grill to get them so crisp. We couldn't finish them, and had no way of keeping them in our car, so unfortunately the leftovers stayed at the restaurant.

bethk likes this post

83February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I scrubbed floors this morning so by mid-afternoon I was tuckered out.

I got a text from a neighbor wondering what I was fixing for supper (she's fascinated by the fact I LIKE to cook....) and I admitted to her I didn't feel like cooking tonight so we were going out. She mentioned they were going to one of the Mexican restaurants close by.

When Dane got home from work I mentioned it to him and he said, "Fine with me...." so I texted her and said we'd meet them.

I had the Carne Asada, a skirt steak charbroiled with stuff to add like refried beans, guacamole, pico, etc. It was really tasty. Dane ordered a Spicy Enchilada Trio and it's the first time I've seen him where he didn't ask for bottled hot sauce to shake on his meal. So it must have been pretty spicy!

The margaritas were pretty good and we got to sit outside so, all in all, it was an absolutely lovely evening.

84February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner. Is it a pizza or is it a flatbread? Not like a pizza, because no meat or red sauce. I bought an oval flatbread and there’s cheese, a bunch f little marinated seafood creatures and anchovies fillets. Oh, and some orange pepper slices."

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_25_18

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_25_17

bethk likes this post

85February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hello all.
Yeah....this is long lost Jimmy. hahahahha
I'm feeling a little better, and trying to adjust too new medicines, and new foods that the girls have been cooking for me. No more salt, and low carbs watching on the menu for me. Tina has been busy cooking ...
Having a tough time with the computer.

Back to food talking..... I got to eat Salmon. Not my favorite, but I'm able to
eat it if Tina uses a low sodium coconut flavored soy sauce. Just a teaspoon.
One cookie is a treat for me. hahaha.
I will get back soon.
Tonight will be pizza from a local place. We will be celebrating DD's 44th.
Tina will scrape off the cheese on my slice. ..... "SLICE ???''' Yes!.... I am allowed one slice. It's funny to watch me lick my finger to suck up every single crumb that falls on my plate!... Like Lucy; when she was on a diet, and was sneaking a sandwich. Ethel caught her, because she smelled the cheese.

bethk likes this post

86February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, it's SO good to hear from you.

Please stick with the diet restrictions ~ we need you back full time! The girls are only watching out for you so you can stick around!

It won't be long and you'll be the size you were when you got out of the Navy!

(tell Tina & Maria I send my love!)

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

87February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Loads Beth. Be back soon as possible.

bethk likes this post

88February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy! Now is the time to start experimenting with V E G E T A B L E S.......

I spelled that out slowly as I know it's not been your favorite subject when it comes to meals. But, hey, if the girls let you try something new you just might find yourself hungry enough to LIKE IT.

How about Roasted Cauliflower? Break into bite size bits, roll around in just a bit of olive oil, spread on a sheet pan and roast at 450° for about 15 minutes, turning once or twice to get even browning. Works great in an air fryer, too!

Same for Zucchini ~ rounds, planks or wedges. Nice if you can have a little bitty sprinkle of toasted bread crumbs for just a touch of crunch.

You know I love a big sheet pan full of Carrots & Parsnips ~ sometimes adding some wedges of onion to the mix.

And, surprisingly, slices of cabbage are pretty darn tasty roasted on the sheet pan method, too.

Give something new a try ~ you just might find something you like.

Especially the cauliflower ~ First time I made it for Dane he just looked at it, asking me, "WHAT IS THAT???" And after he tasted it he found he really liked the nutty flavor. He actually finished the entire dish by the end of the meal. Now he's a total convert to roasted vegetables.

So, as Mikey said, "Try it ~ You'll LIKE it!"

89February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhhh, I just thought of another one you might want to try.....

After Lore said she cooked her own garbanzo beans for her Indian recipes I decided to try cooking from dry instead of the canned ones (that are full of sodium and I didn't like the taste of....). They were easy to simmer and you could easily do without salt.

Dane actually LIKED the garbanzo bean 'stew' I made with tomatoes, onion & celery. He also liked the salad I made with garbanzo beans, cucumber, onion, celery and a light dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and just a touch of honey (to balance the lemon).

You might want to give these a try because there's lots of protein in the garbanzo beans and the texture is really quite nice.

90February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I reminded myself to not sweat the cost of the prime beef at Costco or Sam's Club because the flavor of the grilled meat is so much better than anything we can find in most restaurants at a price we'll pay.

The asparagus I found at the store looked fresh but was teeny, tiny stalks ~ but the flavor was excellent and by cooking it in the microwave with just a tablespoon or so of water and a sprinkle of Kosher salt for 3 minutes......it came out cooked but still with a tiny bit of 'crunch' ~ we enjoyed it a lot.

Grandma's Everyday Salad with cold, crispy sliced romaine with a simple dressing of sour cream, slivered onions, vinegar syrup and a few grinds of cracked black pepper was perfect with the meal.

The ribeye got a generous sprinkle of Kosher salt and cracked black pepper early in the afternoon and then allowed to sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator to dry a bit. I took it out of the refrigerator about 3:30 p.m. to sit on the counter and come to room temperature before grilling it over super hot hardwood charcoal. It only took about 8 minutes to cook to 115°. That's when it got put on a cutting board, lightly covered with a plate to hold the heat for about 10 minutes to rest. I like to slice my beef steak ~ partly because we always share a single steak for the two of us and also because I don't own any steak knives so by pre-slicing in the kitchen a simple butter knife is fine to cut into bite size pieces.

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_26_13

91February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:55 pm

NormM

NormM

Welcome back Jimmy! i made Tortellini soup and Beth's Grape Salad. The soup had cheese tortellini, Italian sausage, spinach, beef broth and evaporated milk.February (2022) already! - Page 4 20220225

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

92February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, pork schnitzel, oven roasted little potatoes and sauerkraut. I added the picture of the schnitzels in the frying pan because that pan has a history. When we were married just a year (1963) hubby went moose hunting. No, they didn’t get any. But, he bought that cast iron frying pan for I think $1.95. When he came home he was going to throw it away. I rescued it, and it is my best ever pan."

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_26_14

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_26_15

bethk likes this post

93February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe on Cook's Country recently that caught my eye. It was for a Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup. Easy to do and using pantry basics, it was just what I wanted for tonight. I use to make cream of tomato soup for Dane when he was on his low salt diet but he got over why he needed the diet and I just went back to the old Campbell's Tomato Soup standard.

But, I'm making this today (even though it's hot as all get out here) and I'll make him a Grilled Cheese with bacon ~ his favorite!

Roasted Cream of Tomato Soup
Bridget Lancaster/Cook’s Country

2 -28 oz. cans San Marzano whole tomatoes
1 ½ Tbsp. Brown Sugar
4 Shallots (3/4 c.) minced
4 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
Pinch Allspice
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 ¾ c. Chicken Broth
½ c. Heavy Cream
2 Tbsp. Brandy (optional)

Strain & seed tomatoes over strainer. Reserve 3 c. juice. Place tomato halves on foil covered sheet pan. Sprinkle tomato halves with 1 ½ Tbsp. Brown Sugar. Roast @450° for 30 minutes. Cool.

Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in sauce pot & add ¾ c. minced shallot, 1 Tbsp. tomato paste & pinch of allspice. Cover and sweat until softened about 10 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 ¾ c. chicken broth and 3 c. reserved tomato juice as well as roasted tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes.

Strain & blend solids & 1 c. broth until very smooth. Return to pot with strained liquids. Bring back to simmer & add ½ c. heavy cream. Heat through. Off heat add 2 Tbsp. brandy if using.

94February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The tomato soup & grilled cheese w/bacon were a huge hit. He does love some good homemade soup, no doubt about it.

I was more than happy with my grilled bread (sans cheese.....) to dip in my soup.

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_27_14

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_27_15

Imelda HL likes this post

95February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Beef brochettes with onions and red pepper. Served on a bed of a rice medley, Parmesan crusted cauliflower ‘steak’ done using the air fry feature in my oven."

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_27_16

96February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out four of my empanadas this morning.....easy meal ~ already done!

I had two avocados and, quite honestly, they were the nicest ones I've had in a long time. When I opened them the flesh was perfectly ripe without ANY of that brown bruising spots. It tasted as good as it looked.

So, supper tonight was Empanadas & Guacamole.

February (2022) already! - Page 4 02_28_16

Imelda HL likes this post

97February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:16 pm

Cookin Lore

My dinner tonight a repeat of last night.  Leftovers.  Not bad.

bethk likes this post

98February (2022) already! - Page 4 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:50 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Reminder, today is 1st of March Laughing another has passed by

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum