Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February (2022) already!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:16 am

Cookin Lore

Downer day for me today. Remember, I volunteer at a local charity shop................... Well, we have some fairly expensive jewelry in a locked cabinet to which we, the cashiers have keys and open it for customers who want to examine something closely. Man wanted to see a bracelet today, I opened the cabinet, showed him the bracelet, he asked me if we had a magnifying glass, I went to get it, and he took the bracelet, put a cheap old watchband in the box, and basically ran out the door. Another customer chased him, but he got away. So, we're out $795.00

I feel badly about it, but I do not feel any responsibility. I'm afraid that there was not much training about things like that. I had a good talk with management about how this jewelry is handled. There should have been rules in place, such as that there should be a second person, preferably management, there when these cabinets are opened.

52February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Downer day for me today.  Remember, I volunteer at a local charity shop................... Well, we have some fairly expensive jewelry in a locked cabinet to which we, the cashiers have keys and open it for customers who want to examine something closely.  Man wanted to see a bracelet today, I opened the cabinet, showed him the bracelet, he asked me if we had a magnifying glass, I went to get it, and he took the bracelet, put a cheap old watchband in the box, and basically ran out the door.  Another customer chased him, but he got away.  So, we're out $795.00

I feel badly about it, but I do not feel any responsibility.  I'm afraid that there was not much training about things like that.  I had a good talk with management about how this jewelry is handled.  There should have been rules in place, such as that there should be a second person, preferably management, there when these cabinets are opened.

How awful! It never ceases to amaze me how ANYONE can steal.....it happens around here all the time ~ and the people get their pic in the paper and on the internet. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would take a chance of their Grandma, or Mom, or children SEE they were arrested for theft.

53February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:09 pm

Cookin Lore

Yes, awful to think that people do this. There are 5 people with the store who are paid employees, ther rest approx. 100 are volunteers. That 795 $ bracelet could have done so much good in the countries where MCC sends medical and educational equipment etc. I hope that there will be a tightening up of rules because of this. I know that I will not be opening those cabinets without management being there, or nearby.

I have also had a bit of a problem with one of the other cashiers with whom I share a shift. There are two cash registers, ina square are of approx 10x10 ft. One "entrance" into the area. The other cashier tends to leave the area when there are no customers waiting. No problem. But one day she "suggested" to me that I should also go and look to see if something needs tidying up. I said that I am on cash, and I feel that the registers should never be left unattended. She basically shrugged her shoulders and said "whatever". She's been there a lot longer than I, so I didn't argue. I asked the manager about that and he said absolutely I was right. I'm glad that I brought it up to management and I will stick to my guns. Sometimes the fact that most of my adult life, in a work situation, I was the boss, and now I am an underling. LOL

bethk likes this post

54February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though it's not really 'cool' today, it still seems like a perfect day to make a pot of soup. I've decided on a Potato, Leek, Kale Soup w/Ham.

I've got all my veg washed & prepped. I like having packages of the chopped ham in the freezer to pull out for just such a meal ~ it's already ready to go and if I decide to only use part of the package I've found it re-freezes just fine ~ I use what I want and just pop it back into the freezer for another time.

I think I'm going to make it in 2-stages. I'll saute the leeks in a bit of butter with some fresh thyme and then split it into 2 pots. One will get simmered in some homemade chicken stock with half of the chopped potatoes and will eventually get pureed with my stick blender to thicken the soup. The other half will be simmered in the rest of the stock with the potatoes, kale & ham. I'll probably finish it with some half & half and maybe a bit of sour cream at the very end ~ not sure yet about the sour cream but I'll decide that after I taste it.

I thought about making it all smooth but we both like a little texture in our soup.

I think I have some brown & serve dinner rolls I bought by mistake ~ thought I was picking up the frozen roll dough that I was going to use to make 'stuffed sandwiches'. They should be a good side. Still considering a salad.......

55February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took pics of every step in my soup to send to DD#2 ~ the 'non-cooking' daughter. She wants recipes but doesn't really understand how it all works together. So, I try to help her out with pictures. LOL

And since I've got all the pics I figured I'd put them here, too.

(Obviously I'm bored today.......... Hahahahahaha!)

Vegetables prepped for soup ~ potatoes, leeks & kale.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_16_13

Saute leeks in evoo/butter, add thyme sprigs. Cook until tender.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_16_14

To half the sauteed leeks, add 1/3 of cubed potatoes & some of the chicken stock to cook.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_16_15

Add cubed potatoes, chopped ham & chicken stock to the other half of the cooked leeks.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_16_16

Puree potatoes & leeks w/stick blender

February (2022) already! - Page 3 12_16_17

Smoothly pureed potatoes & leeks will thicken soup

February (2022) already! - Page 3 12_16_18

Add kale to soup & cook 10 minutes to get almost tender, then add pureed potato/leek mixture. Continue to simmer until kale is tender.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 12_16_19

Finish soup with a tiny bit of half & half or cream.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 12_16_20

Cool soup pot in bowl of ice water to bring down temperature before putting into containers to store in the refrigerator or freezer. Do not add half & half or cream until just before serving ~ doesn't freeze well.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 12_16_21

NormM likes this post

56February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Before I cooked my soup today I got a call from neighbor Jim. He wants us to go out for Chinese with him tonight. I told Dane I couldn't turn him down again ~ I said 'no' the last two times he called because I had something planned or we were going to do something.

So, my soup will be supper tomorrow night.

Unless I change my mind and stick it in the freezer and come up with something else.....

"Only the 'Shadow' knows!" ......Geesh! Where did THAT come from? I'm showing my age!

57February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Salisbury steak today. I can't remember ever making it before. Charlie said it was a lot better than the frozen dinner kind that he used to make into sandwiches.February (2022) already! - Page 3 20220218

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

58February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's high praise, Norm........better than a TV dinner! Woo Hoo!

LOL

(It looks good to me!)

NormM likes this post

59February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:53 pm

NormM

NormM

I made carnitas today in the slow cooker and we had them inFebruary (2022) already! - Page 3 20220220
February (2022) already! - Page 3 20220219
tacos.

bethk likes this post

60February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks really tasty, Norm!

I had the soup & salad supper I intended for last night. So, I guess I could say (since I made it yesterday) ~ No cooking tonight!

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_17_13

NormM likes this post

61February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had a doctor appointment in Orlando this morning so I drove her. She just developed 'trigger thumb' and it's quite painful. She ended up getting a steroid injection and sent on our way with the advice of, 'you'll probably be fine in a week or so, if not, come back for an appointment in 3 weeks we'll set up today. IF you're fine, just cancel the appointment. No way to know if it will or won't return.'

Interesting affliction. I had the same thing in my middle finger about 6 months ago. Luckily for me the anti-inflamitory med I asked my GP for did the trick and I've not had any problem since. We read about it at her doctor's office and apparently there's no known cause ~ it just happens. The only 'cure' if the inflamation doesn't go away is surgery to release some bands that tighten around the tendons ~ ~ but that's only if nothing else works.

Hopefully she's cured!

After the appointment we went to PF Chang's for lunch. We shared the Chicken Lettuce Wraps and the Mandarin Crunch Salad. I know.....it's a chain restaurant......but I have to say, try as I might, I cannot make the chicken filling for lettuce wraps as good as I can get at the restaurant. So every once in a while it's what we get and we're both happy. Their wonton soup is also excellent.....well, as well as their hot & sour soup. Hey, what can I say? I LIKE their food.

LOL

Dane had a bowl of the leftover Potato/Leek/Kale/Ham Soup. He was happy.

62February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:05 pm

NormM

NormM

I made pork chops with Italian bread crumbs, a Southern milk gravy, potato pancakes with sour cream and green beans.February (2022) already! - Page 3 20220221

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

63February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

YUM!

I could make a full meal of just the potato pancakes.....LOVE 'EM!

NormM likes this post

64February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We spent the majority of the day at the local Honda dealer trying to come to a deal on trading in our pathetic 2018 Honda HR-V for a much more loaded option 2018 Honda CR-V LX with 30k less miles.....I was happy someone had a 4 year old car with 17k miles they decided to trade in.

I have been unhappy with the 'basic-no-option' HR-V since we bought it 4 years ago ~ it had practically NO options and my beautiful little Pontiac hardtop convertible was LOADED with every option known to man!

So, Dane was tired of listening to me complain and decided to bite the bullet and go looking with me.

I don't know which of us hates the dickering more. After 4 'offers' to get the car to a price acceptable to me we just looked at the salesman and said, "Sorry to have wasted 3 hours of your time.....Please go get our keys and we'll be going."

Dane was ready to walk out the door and when the salesman walked away I said to him, "There's one more offer coming......" And, low and behold, the 'manager' shows up and tries two more times before finally coming down enough to make it acceptable.

Then there was another 2 hours listening to the finance guy go over HIS speel.....good thing I don't have a 'concealed carry' license! I would have done away with myself on the spot.

But, it's done and now we have to return on Monday to find out how to set all the bells & whistles and get the owner's manual (WHY wasn't it left in the vehicle????). I have managed to connect my iPhone to the car system but we had a terrible time changing the radio to a station WE wanted to listen to. ((sigh))

We got home and were both starving. Why we didn't eat before we left is beyond me ~ we should have known better. But I had time to simmer some brats and then brown them up on the grill. We just had them with some potato chips and sliced cucumbers.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_19_15

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

65February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:05 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:We spent the majority of the day at the local Honda dealer trying to come to a deal on trading in our pathetic 2018 Honda HR-V for a much more loaded option 2018 Honda CR-V LX with 30k less miles.....I was happy someone had a 4 year old car with 17k miles they decided to trade in.

I have been unhappy with the 'basic-no-option' HR-V since we bought it 4 years ago ~ it had practically NO options and my beautiful little Pontiac hardtop convertible was LOADED with every option known to man!

So, Dane was tired of listening to me complain and decided to bite the bullet and go looking with me.

I don't know which of us hates the dickering more.  After 4 'offers' to get the car to a price acceptable to me we just looked at the salesman and said, "Sorry to have wasted 3 hours of your time.....Please go get our keys and we'll be going."

Dane was ready to walk out the door and when the salesman walked away I said to him, "There's one more offer coming......"  And, low and behold, the 'manager' shows up and tries two more times before finally coming down enough to make it acceptable.

Then there was another 2 hours listening to the finance guy go over HIS speel.....good thing I don't have a 'concealed carry' license!  I would have done away with myself on the spot.

But, it's done and now we have to return on Monday to find out how to set all the bells & whistles and get the owner's manual (WHY wasn't it left in the vehicle????).  I have managed to connect my iPhone to the car system but we had a terrible time changing the radio to a station WE wanted to listen to.  ((sigh))

We got home and were both starving.  Why we didn't eat before we left is beyond me ~ we should have known better.  But I had time to simmer some brats and then brown them up on the grill.  We just had them with some potato chips and sliced cucumbers.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_19_15

Congrats on your new car Beth.. the same thing happened to us when we were at the dealers ( 3 times since I moved here 21 years ago), I was always the "bad" guy, I told them how much we could afford, higher than that we did not want, so after several hours and several men came out to talk to us, we finally got the price we wanted ( well, I went up a bit), then before we left, I asked the salesman if there was free gifts for us ( like.. umbrella, hats ), he said, no free gift, you squeezed me dry.. oh my I felt "bad"

bethk and NormM like this post

66February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Yesterday cooked pork chops, I pan-fried my flour coated chops then baked in the oven, for the sauce, I sauteed onion, chopped green and red bellpeppers, lemon juice, sugar/salt/black pepper and 1 tbsp of mustard, it was good, served with risotto and steamed asparagus

for showing off only Very Happy
February (2022) already! - Page 3 9cddfc10

here was what we ate, half of the chop was enough for me
February (2022) already! - Page 3 Dd707510

bethk likes this post

67February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fried onions, red pepper, mushrooms and scallops with a bit of cream over a rice medley from a few days ago."

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_19_16

bethk likes this post

68February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sliced up a chicken breast and marinated the slices in buttermilk & chili/garlic paste for a couple hours. Then I pressed the pieces in a mixture of grated parmesan & panko and let it sit in the refrigerator for another half hour to allow the panko to absorb the moisture. That way the breading doesn't fall off when I fry it up.

I did a simple shallow fry in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I did have to add a bit more when I turned them but they weren't at all greasy.

The potatoes were itty bitty baby potatoes I steamed in a couple tablespoons of salted water in the microwave for about 3 1/2 minutes, until soft. Then I smashed them and also did a shallow fry in olive oil, turning until brown & crispy.

The asparagus got steamed in the microwave for 3 minutes, drained and then just seasoned with butter, s&p.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_20_12

69February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 am

Cookin Lore

I seem to have gotten into a rut of stirfry with veggies, cream and either on rice or pasta. Last night I made chicken tetrazzini using up the last of a rotisserie chicken that I bought a few days ago. Think I need something a little more inventive tonight.

bethk likes this post

70February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My 'inventiveness' is going to take us out tonight.

We had to make a run to the Honda dealership to pick up the spare key fob and owner's manual for our 'new' (used) car. We had to wait on our salesman because he was with a customer. When we finally told him why we were there he went to retrieve the items.

He handed me a manila envelope that had the owner's manual, CarFax reports on the car and NO key fob. We knew there was a second fob because he had them when we looked at the car. He went back to the 'wherever' at the offices and finally came and said the fob couldn't be located and they would have to order another one.

I remember now why I hate dealing with buying cars.....always a problem.

((sigh))

71February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Cookin Lore

My brain didn't have to go into inventiveness. I remembered that I had some roast pork with sauerkraut in the freezer, so that's on the menu. Will just make some small potatoes.

bethk likes this post

72February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:10 pm

NormM

NormM

Ribeye steak were lower than usual and it was nice enough to cook outside. The recipe I used called it Lacquered. It had a baste of wine vinegar, soy sauce, Fish sauce sugar and garlic. With it was a cheese asparagus bake and little potatoes cracked and sauteed in oilFebruary (2022) already! - Page 3 20220223
February (2022) already! - Page 3 20220222
February (2022) already! - Page 3 20220224

bethk likes this post

73February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's Tuesday ~ ~ TWOSDAY........02 . 22 . 22 for those who like to play with numbers.

But for ME, Tuesday is ground chuck day at Fresh Market. I knew I was down to 3 burger patties in the freezer so it was time to make a run to the store to stock up. I ended up with a little over 7 pounds and have 11 more burger patties and 3 ~ 1# packages in the freezer. I also got a package of the boneless/skinless chicken breasts just because I was completely out. I usually don't like Fresh Market's chicken breasts because they're so large, but these looked better to me for some reason.

So, supper tonight was burgers on the charcoal grill. I just made some vegetable spaghetti from a couple yellow summer squash, carrots & onion to go with the burgers.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_22_14

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_22_15

74February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Pikerall fillet, lentils with orange and red pepper, snap peas, lots of parsley. Played a little with presentation. I think it looks great! Tasty too!"

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_22_16

bethk likes this post

75February (2022) already! - Page 3 Empty Re: February (2022) already! Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, that pic is lovely ~ Everything looks so fresh & vibrant!

I got unexpected company last evening and forgot to post my supper.  It wasn't anything exciting but the goulash was pretty tasty since I used some of the hot peppers from the patio pots. Oh, and if it looks gooey it's because I dumped on the last bit of shredded mozzarella that was in the refrigerator drawer that had no known use coming up in the next week or so.

February (2022) already! - Page 3 02_23_13

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum