Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun!

+4
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Birthday Cindy
Love and God bless you from Jimmy and Tina.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to make a Chicken Pot Pie for our supper ~ going to use the rotisserie chicken I bought the other day. I got started this morning pulling the chicken off the carcass to chop up. I put all the skin & bones in a pot with some onion, celery & carrot to simmer for stock to make the cream sauce.

THEN Lyn called and asked if I wanted to go to lunch in Ocala (20 minutes north of us). I thought, Gee, that sounds better than making this today..... So, we went to Ocala for lunch. And we did one of our favorite things. While I'm driving her car she's busy on her phone looking for someplace we've not been before. She found Ivy on the Square and it sounded like a menu we'd enjoy. So, that's where we ended up. It was absolutely lovely ~ an old building in the 'historic' downtown area with high ceilings and exposed brick walls, interesting decor.

We shared some Fried Green Tomatoes (good but not as good as we get at Miz Kathie's Cotillion Restaurant we go to), We each got a bowl of French Onion Soup ~ excellent with onion, rich broth, croutons and mozzarella cheese. And Lyn got a Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thai Salad (which I tasted) and she loved it. I think they were touting they were a Southern restaurant. The salad came with a piece of corn bread (had cheddar cheese and corn kernels in it) AND a small yeast roll. One of their 'vegetable' choices for dinners is macaroni & cheese! (Now THAT is truly a Southern thing!)

We'll definitely be returning! There were many things on the menu we'd be happy to try.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_09_13

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_09_14

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_09_15

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Our dinner tonight was breaded chicken breast with gravy, green beans and oven crisped potatoes.November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 20211112

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was leftover pork burgers, and leftover elbow macaroni
with fried cabbage. DD made a pumpkin bread for dessert, and she had air fried chicken with hot sauce.
Poor Tina had a Dr. appointment, and DISAPOINTED. She was injected with a needle in the left eye to remove excess fluid. She must return every 4 months for a repeat procedure, or she will go blind in that eye. To beat all, they sent her home with both eyes dilated, and she could hardly see.
They never told her she would need a driver. She will be dilated for two days..
For some reason, she stays dilated for longer time than usual.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Now This is a Sandwich. Great Reuben on rye bread tonight. Dark eye, cheese, sauerkraut and pastrami. ! Yumm. Did a five hour shift at my volunteer job today. Too tired to cook"

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_09_16

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for dinner today....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making my Chicken Pot Pie for tonight.  I got the filling mixed up ~ the stock I made from reducing down the chicken bones/skin was FABULOUS!  And, yes, I cheated ~ I used the Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough....so much easier.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_10_15

I also have the mushroom cream sauce reducing to use as a compliment to the pie.....

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_10_16

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was worth all the effort put into it! The chicken pot pie came out of the oven and sat for about 20 minutes ~ could have used 30 minutes to 'settle'..... but the taste was just what I was hungry for. The Mushroom Cream Sauce spooned over was especially good with the crust. It's something I don't make often, but when I do ~ YUM!!!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_10_17

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_10_18

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

THat looks amazing!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks ~ the mushroom cream sauce is what takes it over the top for me.

And it's nothing more than a béchamel sauce made with 50% rich chicken stock (made the day before) and milk.....OK, and reinforced with the heavy cream I just happened to have a bit of in the refrigerator.....LOL

I chopped & browned an 8 oz. container of baby bella mushrooms and added them and let it simmer for a good 20-30 minutes to get the mushroom flavor to enrich the sauce. (you can see the difference in the color between the pot when I first started the sauce and the color when it was spooned over the pot pie, you can just SEE the flavor that's there.  

Then it was just a matter of reheating when it was time to serve.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover pork steaks and potato wedges tonight. Pumpkin bread for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs, oven roasted little potatoes and carrots."

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_10_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore's pork ribs from last night got me hungry for some BBQ Pork.....so I used what I had.....Sliced pork shoulder steaks cut into strips.  Seared them in a hot skillet, seasoned with just s&p then added a little Sweet Baby Ray's and the rest of some sort of Asian sauce I happened to have ~ oh, and the rest of a box of chicken stock to make it more of a braising to tenderize the pork and render the fat (of which there was a good amount).  It turned out flavorful and tender and really quite 'rich' so just a small amount was satisfying.

I did a simple stir fry with some zucchini ribbons w/half a thin sliced onion ~ I love trying different cuts with zucchini to see how the taste changes.  This was pretty good and very little trouble since I used Grandma's Feemster Vegetable Slicer (an oldie but a goodie!).  That slicer has worked in the kitchen for over 75 years!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_11_12

Cookin Lore

No cooking today.  Had to take my car in to have my winter tires put on, and there's a restaurant across the street from the tire place.  THey had some Greek stuff on the menu, so I ordered a Gyro pita.  And something they called Greek fries.  All I can say basically about my meal is that I was hungry, and it filled my belly!  The "Greek fries" were just regular fries with some spices on them  Didn't taste Greek to me.  And the GYRO meat was dried out and tough, on a piece of NAAN sort of folded over.  But, the veggies and sauce with that was good.  Oh well, it was better than sitting in the tire place waiting for my car to be done.

Some of the tire places here started a service where they change the tires in fall, put your winter tires on, store the summer ones for the season.  It's a great service ($100.) for people like me, no place to store tires, and certainly no way of changing them myself.

PS. Those zuccini ribbons looks great. I may have to pull out my fancy spiralizer again!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here today. Neighbor Jim asked us to go with him to Texas Roadhouse.....I know, it's a 'chain' but the yeast rolls are pretty darn tasty and they do know how to cook a steak to the correct temperature.

And adding to the reason for no cooking (maybe tomorrow, too) is the fact Dane is planning to install the hot water re-circulating pump so we have 'instant' hot water all the time. He put one in neighbor Darlene's and she's raved about it ever since. That's when he decided WE need one, too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Lore's pork ribs from last night got me hungry for some BBQ Pork.....so I used what I had.....Sliced pork shoulder steaks cut into strips.  Seared them in a hot skillet, seasoned with just s&p then added a little Sweet Baby Ray's and the rest of some sort of Asian sauce I happened to have ~ oh, and the rest of a box of chicken stock to make it more of a braising to tenderize the pork and render the fat (of which there was a good amount).  It turned out flavorful and tender and really quite 'rich' so just a small amount was satisfying.

I did a simple stir fry with some zucchini ribbons w/half a thin sliced onion ~ I love trying different cuts with zucchini to see how the taste changes.  This was pretty good and very little trouble since I used Grandma's Feemster Vegetable Slicer (an oldie but a goodie!).  That slicer has worked in the kitchen for over 75 years!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_11_12

WOW DEE DOW!!!

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

not a clue for what to make for today. Tina and Maria are at another eye surgery place today. Tina is having a s-load of problems with her left eye. It's at the point where she may lose her sight in that eye.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote: not a clue for what to make for today. Tina and Maria are at another eye surgery place today. Tina is having a s-load of problems with her left eye. It's at the point where she may lose her sight in that eye.

Oh, dear! That doesn't sound like any fun at all. Prayers for Ms. Tina. I'm sure Maria will be sure she follows the doctor's orders to a 'T'.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Change of supper plans.....

Dane had some problems working on the water lines so he decided to stay home and be miserable all by himself ~ ~ I've seen it happen before. Something doesn't fit together correctly and then, all of a sudden, it dawns on him how to bypass the problem and it's magically fixed.

So he told me to go with Jim so it's wasn't a disappointing evening for everyone.

So, Jim & I had a 'date' ~ ~ he's a widow so I get to nag at him to remind him what it was like when his wife, JoAnn, was still here.....

We ended up going to his old standby, Bamboo Bistro, so he could get his 'usual' dinner of General Tso stir fried chicken ~ MILD ~ with fried rice and NO BROCCOLI (because he doesn't like green stuff). LOL Even his waiter, Kenny, knows he never alters his order and has it memorized. I had their Mongolian Beef, which is very tasty, although they didn't seem to add much heat tonight. So it was just OK....

Dane ended up reheating some leftovers and was happy to have the plumbing job finished up and everything put back in place.

NormM

NormM

I made Charlie a BLT and myself a hamburger for dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a piece of a calzone. DD had chicken, and Tina had a little of the
pork steak leftover. DD took her for emergency ocular surgery today at 11:30 surgery 1-1/2 hr away. didn't get out till 4:00. She had 3 inoculations in the eye. Now she is sleeping.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Roasted chicken thighs, a baked potato and zucchini and corn. I just sliced the zucchini on my box grater, sautéed some onions, garlic and corn."

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 3 11_12_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having the second half of the chicken pot pie reheated for supper.

This is one of those "it's-OK-as-a-second-time" meals......one of very FEW! LOL

Cookin Lore

I really do not like the cabbage rolls I made a few days ago. So, I took all the filling out, added a jar of marinara sauce, spiced it up some more, and now it tastes good enough to use as a pasta topping.. I just didn't want to throw it all our. BUT, I will definitely never make cabbage rolls again. LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was surprised how nicely the half chicken pot pie reheated.

It was a 'whole' half ~ not cut into pieces ~ and when it was cold I was able to slip a piece of foil under the cut edge and fold it up and then crimp it to hold in the filling as it heated.

The bottom crust was a bit softer than when freshly baked but not terrible.

My mushroom cream sauce got thinned out with a bit more half & half and reheated in the microwave and spooned over my piece of pie. HE doesn't care for added sauces so he ate his 'naked'.

I didn't even bother with a salad ~ the pie was enough.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum