Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun!

+4
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

JanaAZ

I’ve been playing around with recipes for my small Christmas party. I decided to do simple French since it’s going to be very small and I didn’t want to do the full menu originally planned for 25 people. So I want to do coq au vin as our main dish and I wanted to play around with it. It came out good….but I need to do a few things differently for the party. Thankfully I have made the other stuff I’m serving so I don’t have to mess around too much.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 E3bf4b10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Channeling Julia!

Looks good enough to eat!

Last time I made it I ended up with a much darker, almost 'purple' chicken. Could have been the wine I used ~ I'm not much of an expert when it comes to picking the right one. It was tasty but the color was a bit off-putting. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane was pleased with the supper offering.....it's definitely one of his favorites!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_05_12

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_05_13

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_05_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I thought son had put his boat into winter storage. Not so, fresh Lake Erie perch tonight and a bean salad. Beans were garbanzo and red kidney that I boiled. The light coloured ones are lupine beans out of a jar. They were supposed to be ready to eat, but it’s good that I still have good teeth. Salad was beans, red pepper, onion, parsley and mint salt/pepper/oil/lemon juice. Lupine beans were so-so, fish delish."

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_05_15

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

There you go again, Lore ~ ~ I'm SO jealous of your fresh Lake Erie perch!

It's one of two things I miss from living in northwest Ohio.....Lake Erie Perch and Tomatoes that TASTE like tomatoes!

I'm sure you enjoyed every bite!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had leftover pork burgers, and I had leftover Popeye's breaded shrimp.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't want to cook anything much when I got home this afternoon after our first Ladies' Lunch of the season. I had a nice, fresh salad and was surprised how full I felt all afternoon.

So, trying to come up with an idea.....Dane spent the day at home bundled under blankets as we had our first rather cool day. If he was chilled for most of the day I knew I could get away with the offer of a pot of soup. And Potato Soup sounded just right.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_06_12

Cookin Lore

Sorry I'm making you envious of the Lake Erie Perch. I'm pretty sure there won't be many more this year. Apparently there are so many perch in that lake, there's no limit on the number they can catch.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had an early birthday dinner for D, his birthday is tomorrow, I cooked some Rib-eye steak, I used reversed method, seasoned with salt and black pepper, baked in the oven for 30 minutes (275'F), then seared in a very hot oil/butter, one minute for each side to get the beautiful crust, the steak was perfect and so tasty, from now on I'm going to cook this way. I made some fried rice noodles ( vermicelli ) with green beans/carrot and shrimps, cooked some asparagus in the microwave and I made some grape salad ( read about grape salad Beth made numerous times), I added bellpepper, tomato, onion, chopped spinach and canned corns with mayo/sour cream/honey/lemon dressing, it was so good. For the birthday cake, I baked some Bundtinis ( copycat of Nothing Bundt cake ).

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 02889210
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 B3c58912

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 B2b55412
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 F00a2b10
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 A5de7611

The last picture was from Nothing Bundt Cakes page

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 19333010

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW!  Dirk must be so thrilled with his Birthday Dinner!  (I'll bet his Mom was pretty pleased with you, as well.)  It's all beautiful and looks SO tasty!

Happy Birthday, Dirk!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fry of noon, garlic, red pepper, pea pods, shrimp and scallops. Served with a bit of cream on angel hair pasta. I prefer an egg noodle but didn’t have any Pasta was fine though!"

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 Getatt16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a bone-in, skin-on chicken breast for our supper.  It's thawed and sitting, uncovered, in the refrigerator with s&p rubbed under the skin and lightly salted on the outside of the skin.  I think it helps to season the breast meat and also pull some of the moisture so the skin eventually bakes up crispy in the oven.  I'll start it in a small (8") cast iron skillet and then, when the skin is golden it'll get turned and then put into the oven at 375° for about 20 minutes to finish cooking.  (Yes, I'll temp it to be sure it's at 165°-170°).

Dane suggested baked chicken with gravy ~ so there will be a bit of a pan gravy made from the drippings in the skillet that I'll make while the chicken is resting before being sliced.  I'll probably add some Better Than Bouillon to get the rich, chicken-y taste he's hungry for.  It's not often he asks for gravy!

I have half a head of cabbage sliced up and it'll be steamed with a bit of chicken stock & butter until just tender.  It's just one of those things we enjoy often.  I'll also have some simple boiled potatoes ~ got to have something to put the gravy over!

And, finally, I'm planning on some pan charred (blistered) green beans that sounded good to me.  I saw them being made on ATK and I'll do my adaptation (isn't a recipe/instruction just a means of giving you an idea of how to make something?).  It's blanched green beans that are browned & blistered in a hot skillet and then sprinkled with toasted & seasoned panko crumbs.  Here's a link to the episode that's on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb0lPizgMNw

Cookin Lore

I have some ground beef and pork defrosting, hopefully to make some cabbage rolls....................... But, I got distracted with my plants. I have a lot of plants, and have been basically ignoring them except for a little water occasionally. Some are looking really sad, so I am repotting, cutting off dead stuff etc. My get up and go for cabbage rolls, I think is on its way almost out the door. I think there's something leftover calling my name from my freezer. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Everybody knows MONDAY is a better day for cabbage rolls......

Just sayin'..........

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:We had an early birthday dinner for D, his birthday is tomorrow, I cooked some Rib-eye steak, I used reversed method, seasoned with salt and black pepper, baked in the oven for 30 minutes (275'F), then seared in a very hot oil/butter, one minute for each side to get the beautiful crust, the steak was perfect and so tasty, from now on I'm going to cook this way. I made some fried rice noodles ( vermicelli ) with green beans/carrot and shrimps, cooked some asparagus in the microwave and I made some grape salad ( read about grape salad Beth made numerous times), I added bellpepper, tomato, onion, chopped spinach and canned corns with mayo/sour cream/honey/lemon dressing, it was so good. For the birthday cake, I baked some Bundtinis ( copycat of Nothing Bundt cake ).

The last picture was from Nothing Bundt Cakes page

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 19333010

Happy Birthday to Dirk from Jimmy and Tina.....
God Bless!

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Shrugged shoulders for todays meal.????

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! One of us (NOT me....) had seconds. He said it was like a 'holiday' meal! I do think the beans were extremely tasty ~ what is it about crunchy panko that makes any vegetable seem special? The excess crumbs (and, yes, I did probably add more than suggested) were pushed on top of the second half of my cabbage and really made that 'special', too.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_07_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sunday, was naked cheese burgers, french fries, and fresh steamed cauliflower.
It was good, but would be better with a bun; for me that is. Just trying to cut down on the carbs. pale November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 2876911673

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It pays to review your pictures from one or two years ago.....you eventually see something that makes you hungry for a meal.

Beef Stroganoff tonight........and our favorite lima beans.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_08_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I will never make cabbage rolls again! Had a head of cabbage in the fridge, so I thought that cabbage rolls are popular. I will make some. Lol. Did them according to a recipe on the net. Stuffing was actually quite good, but I don’t like the cabbage enough to ever do them again. Made a lovely sweet potato to go with the cabbage rolls and started to eat before I took the picture. Sorry!"

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_08_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, it was pork steaks braised with onions and potatoes. Spinach
wilted, and it all hit the spot.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It pays to review your pictures from one or two years ago.....you eventually see something that makes you hungry for a meal.

Beef Stroganoff tonight........and our favorite lima beans.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 11_08_16

We do that too, and it's like looking at flash cards. I say make a list, and we do, but it forever gets lost for some reason or other.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Cyn!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 863604796       HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!     November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 863604796

(Our Revere Beach Friend is celebrating today!

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Hey, Cyn!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 863604796          HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!     November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 2 863604796

(Our Revere Beach Friend is celebrating today!

Thanks Beth... Yes, I am still here... been very busy.. now I am kind of free...

I mean busy... fighting the city, for the residents in my building... we won.... somehow got into the political mess ---election year...

Becoming kind of an activist in here.. not me, but I did it because it was wrong.
Now, I joined the Food Committee in here! Not so impressed.
Some people want me to run for Tenants Association office... bit for me....

Having my own issue with a bully in here. Yikes--it never ends..

Not cooking much.. but I read...

When i do cook, it is the easy way out...

Sunday, I had a package of chicken thighs which had to be used. I did an easy chicken part. Just grabbed some of Lydia's Jar Sauce---so good, poured over the chicken... added some grated some Parm cheese---and grated my thumb also... yuck..

Stuck it in the oven... It came out really good.. I have one thigh left.. may freeze it....

Yes, on the beach. It has been very cold around here. Today is nice and warm--in the low 60's... I had to scrape frost off my car, Sunday morning.

Had the painter come in last week to scrap, paint the windowsill, and the window frame, and radiators.
So many paint chips, then the dust from the sanding!

I did my fall cleaning, including moving furniture; in 2 days... walls included... really exhausted, back aching quite a bit..

Supposed to go out for lunch with my cousin, today... not sure about it.. have to check it out---there was a downed transformer near their house---truck accident..

If not, I think I may go out for supper.

I am on a diet... I have to lose weight.. a lot.. I got hypnotized for it... not sure if it is helping..

Yes, I have been busy... also computer issues.. so.... and car issues... but that is life...

Thank you for the B-day wishes.....

love to all....

NormM

NormM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYN!

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: