Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun!

+4
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled one of my marinated London Broil Steaks out of the freezer this morning. It didn't look like rain so I thought a grilled steak sounded perfect for supper. I love having the perfect sized marinated steaks at the ready to thaw & grill. I still have two more in the freezer bags so unless I find a really good sale on London Broil Steak I'm set for a while.

The marinade is so easy and it makes the meat really flavorful as it thaws. I posted the recipe a long time ago so no need to go into specifics ~ it's red wine, soy sauce, honey, dried rosemary, dehydrated onion and some other spices. I just mix the dry stuff and divide it into the number of quart size bags I need and then mix the wet ingredients and pour it over all. Then the zip bags get closed and everything gets put on a quarter sheet pan and into the freezer until frozen. Then they get stashed into gallon zip bags just in case there's any leakage. As the meat thaws it absorbs the flavors of the marinade and grills to perfection.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was cooked very close to our best ~ I meant to take it off the grill when it got to 120° but it was 124° when I temped it prior to removing from the grill. Close enough.

After a short rest I sliced it and had sides of a baked potato and creamed corn.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_14_11

Imelda HL likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made some chicken enchillada soup in the slow cooker for supper tonight.November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 20211113

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

First thing I saw in the freezer this morning was a ham steak. I took it out to thaw and then set about to vacuum, dust & wash the throw rugs. In the afternoon I still hadn't decided what I would make with the ham. Then, when I was in the refrigerator I saw two baby apples, the skins starting to shrivel.....ham and fried apples!

Decision made.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_15_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Sea bass done in the oven with fingerling potatoes. Grilled onions, zucchini, mushrooms and peppers. Yumm!"

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_15_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had everything cut up to make Steak Salad tonight ~ then neighbor Jim called and asked if we'd go to the closest country club to check it out since they just did a 6 month renovation. I thanked him and said I had just finished everything for our supper, but thanks anyway.

When Dane got home I told him about Jim's call and he said, "That sounds good to me!".

So, TOMORROW we'll have Steak Salads ~ everything was in little bowls ready to be put together so it's no big deal.

I was hoping they would have revamped the menu and added some new dishes but the only adjustments they made was to drop some of the items that were probably poor sellers. Their food is good but I really was hoping for something new.

I ended up with their appetizer 'Fish Fingers' ~ 4 Cornflake coated haddock fingers. It's easily enough for a meal, especially if you steal house made chips off the plate next to you! Dane had a bacon cheeseburger that, quite honestly, looked BETTER than the one they had before they closed. The "Happy Hour" drinks were very generous and extremely inexpensive. We'll go back, I'm sure.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Supper was cooked very close to our best ~ I meant to take it off the grill when it got to 120° but it was 124° when I temped it prior to removing from the grill.  Close enough.

After a short rest I sliced it and had sides of a baked potato and creamed corn.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_14_11

Are they tender? I grilled London Broil once and did not get a good result, so I stick to Rib-eye when I grill steaks

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had a small get together with some of our friends, they drove from our previous neighborhood, about 65 miles away, we went to the same parish, it was so good to catchup with them, a lot things happened since we moved away. Like usual when we had our gathering, I served Indonesian food, this time I ordered from a good friend of mine, I made some eggrolls, shrimp rolls, rendang and grilled spicy fish.

My friend did a good job cooking and decorating the food. It had turmeric rice, chicken satay, chow mien, Indonesian salad ( boiled veggies topped with panfried spiced coconut, spicy boiled eggs, spicy potato/green bean/chicken.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 344d7310

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 00caa710

my grilled spicy fish

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 2a7ade10
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 Ca2df710

It was a nice day, so we had our gathering at the backyard

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 1bee5410
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 29d7cc10

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Are they tender? I grilled London Broil once and did not get a good result, so I stick to Rib-eye when I grill steaks

The main thing, in my opinion, is to grill until 115° to 120° (medium rare), allow to rest for a good 10 minutes to let the juices settle and then slice into thin slices across the grain of the meat.  It's not as tender as a rib eye (because it doesn't have as much fat) but it is easy to cut with a table knife and has good flavor from the marinade.  The cold leftover steak gets sliced into paper thin slices to go on top of a salad.

So, I think the key is how you slice it to make it easier to chew.....just my opinion.....

Your celebration meal is AMAZING!  What an exciting meal to sit down to.

Cookin Lore

That meal does look amazing. The plates of food are works of delicious art!

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So everything I had cut and ready to go last night got covered and stacked in the refrigerator. Not a lot to do tonight so it was and Easy Peasey Supper. Steak Salad ~ with carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato, avocado, egg & super thin sliced leftover steak. (slicing it thin makes it easy to eat and it looks like so much more!)

I just sliced a couple bakery rolls from the freezer that were on the counter wrapped in plastic wrap from yesterday ~ buttered & toasted in the toaster oven.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_17_13

Cookin Lore

That looks fabulous!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, tonight I'm making up a new stir fry dish ~ I bought a package of 'twin' pork tenderloin that needed to be cleaned of silver skin, etc. and cut into serving sizes. I have two 'roasts' (about 6" long and cleaned of excess fat & silver skin), about 8 'cutlets' that I'm going to pound thin tonight to saute quickly so they just get browned a bit and stay tender and enough 'scraps' cut into slivers for Sweet & Sour Pork some other night. The roasts and slivered bits are now in zip bags in the freezer for whenever I decide to make them.

Tonight I'll quickly saute the pork cutlets and then add some sliced mushrooms ~ when everything is cooked through I'll add a soy-based sauce I've put together and let the whole thing sit until my vegetables are cooked.

I have some bok choy & green onions cut to stir fry and then add the same thinned out sauce to (I use chicken broth). The vegetables will go into a bowl, the pork & mushrooms put on top and everything will get sauced with what's in the pans.

I have some basmati rice to go along side.....

We'll see if it's a 'hit' or 'miss'......

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Norwegian halibut, roasted baby potatoes and the last of the grilled vegetables I made a couple of days ago."

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_18_12

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Asian Pork Mediallions with Bok Choy & soy based sauce was very good (for me).  HE said it was just "OK" ~ I have a feeling it's because I'm a bigger fan of the Bok Choy than he is.  But he ate what he had on his plate and didn't drop over so that's a good thing.

I really do like the flavor of the basmati rice with most stir fry meals.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_18_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted to get a second bag of HamBeens Brand 15-bean soup mix today. I had one but decided if I'm going to make bean soup I might as well make a big batch to go into the freezer. Now that cooler weather is here it's one of Dane's 'go-to' lunch meals. He knows how to thaw it out without melting my deli containers. It only took him about 4 years of listening to me complain about ruining my containers to figure out how to thaw it without using HIGH. LOL

I have some ham stock in the freezer already but there was a beautiful, HUGE ham shank on 'sale' for only $2.52 ~ Fresh stock is always a plus.

So, the ham shank got simmered for 3 or 4 hours ~ it's still on the stove. It's falling apart so the stock should be pretty tasty when I strain it and then put it into the refrigerator tonight so I can peel the fat layer off tomorrow when I boil the beans.

The beans will get soaked tonight ~ my preferred method. I also have a couple cans of navy beans to add near the end of cooking to get the viscosity I like. I'll add a lot of chopped onion, celery & carrot as well as a large can of the 'hand-squashed' whole San Marzano tomatoes. I always like to take the core out but always use the DOP (from Italy) ones because the flavor is better (IMO) and there are less seeds than other canned tomatoes I find.

Tonight I've got a spaghetti squash to bake. I found I was out of frozen marinara sauce so I had to cook up a pot this afternoon. I always start with a jar of Trader Joe's Marinara, add a pound of ground beef, a chopped onion, 3-4 stalks of celery and a finely grated carrot, along with a can of the San Marzano tomatoes.

NormM

NormM

I made rice yesterday with the intention of making pork bulgogi to go with it but Charlie told me that he and some friends had made plans to go to the Whataburger that opened a few days ago. They figured the lines were down enough now that there would not be too long a wait. Whataburger is Patrick Mahomes favorite hamburger restaurant and a group he belongs to is bringing a string of them to Missouri and Kansas and this is the first one. So the rice went in the refrigerator and became fried rice today.November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 20211114

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's spaghetti squash was a flavorful one! As usual, I had half with butter & s&p and the other half with the marinara sauce.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_19_12

Cookin Lore

Cheese and crackers for me tonight. Went out with a friend to look at Christmas decorations at two major garden centeres.. It boggles the mind! I looked at my friend and asked her "What do you think Jesus would say"?

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got up this morning and my beans were soaked and ready to go. I got started as I drank my morning coffee.

I added all my defatted stock to the pot and got it boiling.....well, almost boiling. Then I added the soaked beans.

Next job was to scoop out HALF of the stock & beans to a SECOND POT ~ ~ Been there, knew I had to fix that! No way was I going to have soup boiling over the stove top.

I let the beans simmer for an hour and took that time to cut up my carrots, celery & onion. The beans were still very firm but I thought it was the right time to add the vegetables so everything could simmer away together. I also added a couple cans of diced tomatoes and I had one small can of navy beans that adds just enough thickness ~ oh, and I put in the reserved chopped meat from the smoked shank I boiled to make my stock. It had a lot of meat on it so I don't think it needs the package of chopped ham I picked up. It can go into the freezer for another meal.

So, in about half an hour it should all be pretty well cooked. I'll test it for tenderness and if correct, it will get the pots set into the sink in cool water (water will get changed a couple times since I don't have enough ice to really cool it down any faster. I love my huge sink for things like this.

When everything is cooled down I'll divide up into 16 oz. deli containers and put it into the garage refrigerator to really get cooled down ~ then into the freezer for a winter-full of lunches or quick suppers.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_20_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, EVERYONE!

PRAYERS ARE NEEDED.

I GOT A MESSAGE FROM MS. TINA THIS MORNING ~ JIMMY HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL. LET'S GET HIM ON EVERY LIST FOR EVERY GROUP WE KNOW.....

Here's what she messaged me when I inquired about his status:

(From Tina: "He was in the hospital. They took him in on Saturday night, he was very weak and couldn’t walk. His blood pressure dropped down to 35 bottom number they’re trying to get it regulated. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to let anybody know. I’m having trouble with my vision in my left eye. Trying to get that straightened out.

I was talking to him this morning they gave him an antibiotic yesterday. His pressure went up to 200 over 106. I looked it up. Antibiotics are loaded with sodium. This morning it was 179/66. They’re trying to keep the bottom number up then they’re going to put him in rehab for a couple weeks, between one and two weeks, so he can get his strength to walk. They also think he might have sleep apnea so after this we have to go back to the pulmonary doctor. He has to go for a sleep apnea test. He’s probably going to need a mask at night. The doctor said it will really help him and he can’t have anything with salt so I’ve been going around throwing everything out that has salt and salt shakers. lol Just having a cuppa tea and I’m gonna go up and see him. I will tell him that you were asking for him. Take care, God bless

NormM

NormM

Get well soon Jimmy!

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:OK, EVERYONE!

PRAYERS ARE NEEDED.  

I GOT A MESSAGE FROM MS. TINA THIS MORNING ~ JIMMY HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL.  LET'S GET HIM ON EVERY LIST FOR EVERY GROUP WE KNOW.....

Here's what she messaged me when I inquired about his status:

(From Tina:  "He was in the hospital. They took him in on Saturday night, he was very weak and couldn’t walk. His blood pressure dropped down to 35 bottom number they’re trying to get it regulated. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to let anybody know. I’m having trouble with my vision in my left eye. Trying to get that straightened out.

I was talking to him this morning they gave him an antibiotic yesterday. His pressure went up to 200 over 106. I looked it up. Antibiotics are loaded with sodium. This morning it was 179/66. They’re trying to keep the bottom number up then they’re going to put him in rehab for a couple weeks, between one and two weeks, so he can get his strength to walk. They also think he might have sleep apnea so after this we have to go back to the pulmonary doctor. He has to go for a sleep apnea test. He’s probably going to need a mask at night. The doctor said it will really help him and he can’t have anything with salt so I’ve been going around throwing everything out that has salt and salt shakers. lol Just having a cuppa tea and I’m gonna go up and see him. I will tell him that you were asking for him. Take care, God bless

Praying for Jimmy to recover soon

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I got up this morning and my beans were soaked and ready to go.  I got started as I drank my morning coffee.

I added all my defatted stock to the pot and got it boiling.....well, almost boiling.  Then I added the soaked beans.

Next job was to scoop out HALF of the stock & beans to a SECOND POT ~ ~ Been there, knew I had to fix that!  No way was I going to have soup boiling over the stove top.

I let the beans simmer for an hour and took that time to cut up my carrots, celery & onion.  The beans were still very firm but I thought it was the right time to add the vegetables so everything could simmer away together.  I also added a couple cans of diced tomatoes and I had one small can of navy beans that adds just enough thickness ~ oh, and I put in the reserved chopped meat from the smoked shank I boiled to make my stock.  It had a lot of meat on it so I don't think it needs the package of chopped ham I picked up.  It can go into the freezer for another meal.

So, in about half an hour it should all be pretty well cooked.  I'll test it for tenderness and if correct, it will get the pots set into the sink in cool water (water will get changed a couple times since I don't have enough ice to really cool it down any faster.  I love my huge sink for things like this.

When everything is cooled down I'll divide up into 16 oz. deli containers and put it into the garage refrigerator to really get cooled down ~ then into the freezer for a winter-full of lunches or quick suppers.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_20_15

Soup looks good Beth, from what read above it seems you have been busy all morning. I wish we had an extra freezer/fridge in our garage too, maybe when we move to our own home ( whenever/wherever ), we'll get one, fingers crossed

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

One meal of bean soup is about all I can do.....but if HE enjoys the freezer supply for lunches for the next few months then the effort was worth it.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 4 11_20_16

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum