Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start !

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have to go to the store today ~ I can't believe I'm out of eggs, butter, bread.....and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm hoping I'll find some inspiration of what to cook.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We found something to make when Tina went freezer hunting.
She found stuffed cabbages ,"Halupki's !" ...... I like them with mashed potatoes, and gravy.
Breakfast was a big breakfast from McDonalds ..... eggs and a stack of flap jacks.
It hit the spot!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a nice spaghetti squash at the store today. I gave HIM the choice of grilled bratwurst or spaghetti squash.

Spaghetti squash was the choice.

And since I got my flu shot this morning I was starting to feel the effects ~ happens every time. So a bit of plain squash was just what I wanted. HE had his with marinara meat sauce and was very happy.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_01_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

The flu shot side effects continued all day. I did have to get up and go to my cardiologist for a check up. I came back home and went back to bed.

My arm is still on 'fire' and I feel like someone wrapped me in a blanket and beat me with sticks.....symptoms just like HAVING the flu.

Lucky me.

I knew it was going to be a pretty bad reaction when I couldn't get my hands & feet warm last night. I'm ALWAYS hot so to have flashbacks to Ohio winter weather was shocking!

So, in keeping with my 'I-don't-feel-good' attitude ~ tomato soup & grilled bread (grilled cheese sandwich for HIM). I think this is the first time in 15 years I've made canned tomato soup. It doesn't taste like it did before ~ or my 'taster' is off...... I probably ended up eating about 4 oz. and less than one slice of toasted bread.

Gee ~ maybe I'll loose 40 pounds by tomorrow......

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_02_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The flu shot side effects continued all day.  I did have to get up and go to my cardiologist for a check up.  I came back home and went back to bed.

My arm is still on 'fire' and I feel like someone wrapped me in a blanket and beat me with sticks.....symptoms just like HAVING the flu.  

Lucky me.

I knew it was going to be a pretty bad reaction when I couldn't get my hands & feet warm last night.  I'm ALWAYS hot so to have flashbacks to Ohio winter weather was shocking!

So, in keeping with my 'I-don't-feel-good' attitude ~ tomato soup & grilled bread (grilled cheese sandwich for HIM).  I think this is the first time in 15 years I've made canned tomato soup.  It doesn't taste like it did before ~ or my 'taster' is off......  I probably ended up eating about 4 oz. and less than one slice of toasted bread.

Gee ~ maybe I'll loose 40 pounds by tomorrow......

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_02_14
Feel better Beth... The last shot Tina got, was the shingles vaccine ! She went through freezing inside her body, and she is always with the hot spells. She just couldn't get warm, and, she had no fever.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was clam chowder that DD made yesterday. I had that with crackers.
Tina ate at a diner in Myerstown, Pa. because she and her friend went food shopping and looking for bargains. On the way home, she stopped in at Dietrich's meats and market.
She bought smoked bacon they make. She found Oscar Mayer 1 LB bacon for $1.87. Now that is a bargain.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm so happy I'm feeling back to normal today.....no more 'flu-like' symptoms.

So, it was grilled brats tonight.

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_03_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"I know that you love Lake Erie perch, so I thought I’d send this picture today. Uncle Ernie’s niece and hubby are visiting from Germany. I had them to my place last Sunday for perch. They loved it, so, I said…. How about we drive to port Dover and have some perch there. So we went today. Big disappointment. Unc and Manfred ordered Just perch and fries; Heidi and I ordered a piece of pickerel/walleye and two pieces of perch and fries.

When they all basically looked at me and said “your perch was so much better”. I thought that they were just being polite. Then I tried mine…. It was as close to disgusting as I’ve ever had a piece of fish as I can remember. There was so much batter which was rubbery that we could not taste the fish.

My piece of pikerel was basically the same, rubbery and grey and tough.

When I got home, I talked to some people in my lobby who had seen me in the morning and knew that we were going there. One man said “maybe you had tilapia, and not perch or pikerel!”

I have eaten probably thousands of perch, and cooked hundreds, and I think maybe that’s what we had.
But we had a nice day anyway!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_03_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Lore.....how disappointing. That doesn't look like fresh Lake Erie fish to me. But at least your family got to have some REAL and good fish at your house.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Glad to hear Beth feels better.
We had ham cheese and tomato on whole wheat toasted lightly, and mayonnaise.
DD is cooking a corned beef for tomorrow.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I stopped at the store today to pick up a few things and check out the weekend 'sale' of meats. I saw a small piece of sirloin and immediately thought it would be perfect for a beef stroganoff. So, when I got home I gave neighbor Jim a call to invite him. I know it's a meal he can't buy at any restaurant around here.....and if it has 'gravy', he loves it!

Funny, but the fresh 'cut-off-the-cob' corn was what he noticed most.....he even finished up the last in the serving bowl.

That always makes me feel like the meal was a success!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_04_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a small pot of split pea soup. Added diced carrots, celery, potatoes, and ham.
We topped with croutons ......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight.

For HIM......I went to lunch with the ladies' and had a HUGE salad ~ mixed green & veg, a grilled chicken breast, fried wontons and a lovely ginger sesame dressing (on the side). I couldn't even finish the whole salad (OK, stop making those laughing noises you guys!).

So, HE got offered anything in the refrigerator. He chose some spaghetti squash & marinara.

IF I get hungry before I head for bed I'll be happy with a bowl of breakfast cereal.....something that's almost a treat when I carefully pour just a bit of milk around the edge of the bowl and have crispy cereal to nosh on.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pea soup, and sloppy Joe's tonight!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had everything on hand to make a pot of sausage & kale soup....it's like a vegetable soup with the flavoring from smoked sausage.  I had leeks, carrots, celery, whole canned tomatoes (that I hand crushed), potatoes & cannelinni beans, along with the kale that gets put in after the vegetables are tender.

Of course, the pot I was using was almost full when I turned to the cabinet to get a LARGER pot....just as Dane came by to tell me I hadn't left enough room for the kale.....

Then he saw the taller pot in my hand and just said, "Ahhhh, I see......"   Hahahahahaha

I can remember my dad making vegetable soup with me.  First we had to go pull all the last of the vegetables out of the garden before the freeze killed them.  We always started with a good sized pot and ended up with that one and a CANNING KETTLE before we were finished.  He always snuck in some dried barley....way too much dried barley to the vegetable soup which he liked but no one else did.  And he would never suggest one of us stand by to keep stirring and the barley would get scorched on the bottom of the pot.  Yuck!  It ruined the entire pot of soup.  But, of course, HE still finished it and put it into containers in the freezer.  I swear, he must have been the only one to eat that vile stuff......all winter long.

Pot of soup cooling in ice water in the sink.....ready to package up for the freezer. Now I have to go rearrange and make room there!

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_06_13

Last edited by bethk on Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to package up a 'family pack' of chicken breasts today....I kept one out to cut across into cutlets. I'm thinking I'll make panko crusted cutlets and have chicken sandwiches....I have some of the Chick-Fil-A sauce (they give lots of packs of the sauce when you order through the drive-through) and I really do like the flavor.

For some reason a chicken sandwich sounded really good to me......I may even add some thinly sliced sweet/hot pickles to mine. Yeah, that sounds good.

I'll probably make a few of the crispy crowns to go along with the sandwiches.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has a pot of marinara sauce cooking. It will be Ziti for me, and spaghetti for Tina....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

chicken cutlet sandwich and crispy crowns.....that's what was supper...........

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_06_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Small steak, Hasselback potato and some squash. Don’t know how this shows up. It was Yumm!"

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_06_15

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking tonight.....so I heated a couple of the containers of soup I made yesterday.

It was the 'perfect' supper tonight ~ we have a meeting to go to later and I was just praying I wouldn't dribble anything on the front of my shirt........LOL

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 11_07_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is yesterdays ziti that we had... It hit the spot. No lines on the ziti.
I am used to un-lined on pasta. It has a better taste. IMO

November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! Img_2223

now.... we have eggplant parmesan in the toaster oven for tonight's supper............. November, 2022 ~ Let the holiday celebration planning start ! 1f604

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.....Jim asked if we wanted to go to Bamboo Bistro tonight and I had absolutely NO plan of what to fix for supper.

So, thanks to Jim, I don't have to think about it anymore.

Yea!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Dried, chipped beef on toast with white gravy and peas. AKA S.O.S. or S_!t on the shingle.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Dried, chipped beef on toast with white gravy and peas.   AKA  S.O.S. or S_!t on the shingle.

Boy, that's a BLAST FROM THE PAST!!! I can't tell you how many times that was on our table when I was growing up.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll be cooking tonight.....I have a big butternut squash on the counter and that made me think some pork tenderloin would be nice.

We're having a VERY breezy day ~ pre-tropical storm heading to mid Florida. Since we're in the very middle of the state we aren't too concerned as the winds will be really much milder by the time it gets here. However, with the overcast clouds and breeze, it is almost cool.....really kind of nice for a change.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum