Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun!

+4
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I mentioned I didn't feel like cooking tonight so we're going out for pizza at a little place not far from here with a wood fired pizza oven. It just sounds good to me.

NormM likes this post

Cookin Lore

Good for you! It sounds great. I just finished my dinner of sushi that I made. It was quite good, but a lot of bother for just me. I sent a picture.

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:OK, EVERYONE!

PRAYERS ARE NEEDED.  

I GOT A MESSAGE FROM MS. TINA THIS MORNING ~ JIMMY HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL.  LET'S GET HIM ON EVERY LIST FOR EVERY GROUP WE KNOW.....

Here's what she messaged me when I inquired about his status:

(From Tina:  "He was in the hospital. They took him in on Saturday night, he was very weak and couldn’t walk. His blood pressure dropped down to 35 bottom number they’re trying to get it regulated. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to let anybody know. I’m having trouble with my vision in my left eye. Trying to get that straightened out.

I was talking to him this morning they gave him an antibiotic yesterday. His pressure went up to 200 over 106. I looked it up. Antibiotics are loaded with sodium. This morning it was 179/66. They’re trying to keep the bottom number up then they’re going to put him in rehab for a couple weeks, between one and two weeks, so he can get his strength to walk. They also think he might have sleep apnea so after this we have to go back to the pulmonary doctor. He has to go for a sleep apnea test. He’s probably going to need a mask at night. The doctor said it will really help him and he can’t have anything with salt so I’ve been going around throwing everything out that has salt and salt shakers. lol Just having a cuppa tea and I’m gonna go up and see him. I will tell him that you were asking for him. Take care, God bless

Prayers for Jimmy!! and for Tina....

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Yesterday I made goulash and today I made a casserole with several cheeses, noodles, November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 20211115
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 20211116
tomatoes, and hamburger

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane couldn't remember when we had gone to the restaurant before ~ many years ago but I STILL remembered.....

The waiter brought a fresh loaf of bread with a basalmic vinegarette to dip ~ hot and delicious!

HE had a meaty pizza and I had a vegetable pizza.  Really good tasting bread and just the way I like my pizza ~ with just a little sauce and a thin crust.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_21_10

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_21_11

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_21_12

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Yesterday I made goulash and today I made a casserole with several cheeses, noodles, November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 20211115
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 20211116
tomatoes, and hamburger

Norm, your goulash looks like a 'true' goulash.

When I say to Dane I'm making goulash he knows I mean ground beef, onions & elbow macaroni simmered in tomato juice. Regional differences of a dish we use to have in school.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth, A couple months ago I bought a whole brisket on sale for (6.99/lb. I think) and since it was too late in the year to cook outside, I cut it into 6 smaller roasts, vacuum packed it and froze them. This was the second piece of brisket I've used. I chose the goulash recipe because I had the brisket.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Good for you!  It sounds great.  I just finished my dinner of sushi that I made.  It was quite good, but a lot of bother for just me.  I sent a picture.  

Dinner Tonight my second attempt. It’s actually quite good. Probably will be fun to make when we have parties here in the building again. Kind of a pain to make just for myself.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_21_13

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store today to get the rest of what I'll need for my Thanksgiving meal. I've decided on the Brussels sprouts (with bacon, onion & grapes), roasted carrots & parsnips, mashed potatoes & gravy and the red cabbage, dried cherry & apple slaw. I got home from the store and found I didn't have the potatoes I picked up ~ must have ended up in someone else's order. But I did get a 16 oz. container of Daisy sour cream that I DIDN'T choose. At least it was the brand I would have purchased had I needed some.....LOL

What can I say? Stuff happens. I just feel sorry for who ever ended up with 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes they didn't know they needed and that they won't get upset at having to make another trip to the store for the sour cream.......

At least I figured out a menu for supper when I was there. I was checking out the bacon trying to decide if I needed any (can you believe how it's gone UP in price lately???) and thought, no, I have enough. That's when I saw the Hillshire Farms Beef Smoked Sausage on sale. BINGO! Haluski was decided upon on the spot!

We ate most of what I made ~ there's just enough leftover for one lunch. I wonder which of us will choose that???

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_22_18

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

It was Asian food, today and yesterday. Pineapple was on sale, 97cents/each, it was to good to pass, so I bought some to make my pineapple jam for my pineapple cookies, and I used some for my Sweet and sour shrimps yesterday and steamed zucchini on the side, today I used the leftover shrimp and zucchini for Pineapple fried rice, some Chinese sausage added

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 3b658c10
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 Fabd6110
November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 0604ee10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhhh! Chinese sausage! It's SO good! I could eat a plate of that fried rice for breakfast!

YUM!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I happened to click on a video of Michael Simon on Facebook.....he was making his father's or grandfather's Corn Pudding......the one where you use Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, a stick of butter (melted), a can of niblets corn, a can of creamed corn, 1 - 8 oz. container of sour cream & a chopped green onion. You mix it all up and bake it at 350° for about 45 minutes or until it's almost set in the middle.

Everyone I know has made it or eaten it ~ it really is quite tasty.

Anyway, Michael Simon ~ the Food Network IRON CHEF and Cleveland, Ohio restaurant owner said he tried to 'fancy' it up as a chef would. Turned out his family didn't like what HIS version tasted like so now he just makes it the way it's always been done.

I just thought it was really funny to hear a real 'chef' admit that there are some 'store bought' recipes you just shouldn't mess around with.

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Phew! I'm STUFFED!!!

I was going through the kitchen freezer and came across a couple containers of Italian Beef that had been stashed for a later meal. It sounded good for supper.

It's such an easy meal to heat, toast a couple fresh buns, top with slices of mozzarella cheese and pile the drippy beef on top.

I made some of my 'vegetable spaghetti' to go along side.

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_23_12

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight.

I've been doing holiday prep all day and then Lyn called to say she & her sister were going out to lunch and asked me to join them. Sounded good to me!

Dane was happy cleaning out some of the leftovers from the refrigerator.

I'm beat ~ took some Advil and had a drink and now I'm ready to just sit and rest my back.

I do love cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas but the older I get the more it wears me out. But it'll be a lovely meal and I'm sure it will be appreciated so it's all worth it.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We were working on finishing leftover as well.

Anyway, How is Jimmy doing now? Hopefully he is home now

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:We were working on finishing leftover as well.

Anyway, How is Jimmy doing now? Hopefully he is home now

I got a note from Tina on Tuesday.....Jimmy was transferred to a very nice rehab facility near the house to assist him in regaining the strength in his legs so he can easily walk. She said he isn't even complaining about the food and has been put on a salt-free diet.

It sounded like his spirits were up.

Just being out of the hospital has got to make you smile.

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. A very large pan fried breaded pork chop with mushrooms and an oven roasted acorn squash half. I am stuffed but it was good! Happy thanksgiving everyone!"

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_25_13

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My 2021 Thanksgiving Plate

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_25_14

Cookin Lore

Thanks, Beth! The hardest part of my dinner was getting that squash cut!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks, Beth! The hardest part of my dinner was getting that squash cut!  

I try to cut around the stem & then smash it on the cutting board to knock it off. Then I slice just a bit off the end 'tip' and sit it upright. The cut on the end makes it easier to slice it in half ~ oh, and I use a long knife and use a hot pad on the end of the knife to be able to press the knife through.

Whatever works!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, I almost forgot to take a picture! Sweet Patrick brought me flowers for our Thanksgiving Table!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_25_21

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Oh, I almost forgot to take a picture!  Sweet Patrick brought me flowers for our Thanksgiving Table!

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 11_25_21

Beautiful flowers Beth, so colorful

Here is my plate

I like dark meat, they all eat white meat, so lucky me

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 E4336f10

showing off my homemade wine

November, 2021 ~ Holiday Planning has Begun! - Page 5 26079410

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks, Beth! The hardest part of my dinner was getting that squash cut!  

I try to cut around the stem & then smash it on the cutting board to knock it off.  Then I slice just a bit off the end 'tip' and sit it upright.  The cut on the end makes it easier to slice it in half ~ oh, and I use a long knife and use a hot pad on the end of the knife to be able to press the knife through.

Whatever works!

I really like squash, have done the acorn stuffed several times.  I read a hint that to put it in the microwave for two minutes makes the skin/shell a little easier to cut.  Will try that next time.

PS. That's a wonderful Thanksgiving bouquet for your table. Gorgeous fall colours! Damp and dreary here today. Wet stuff coming down, I think it's trying to decide whether it should be rain or snow. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm moving 'S~L~O~W' this morning. Holiday prep seems to take a lot out of me these days.

I can remember the days of staying up until the dishwasher was run 3 times and all the pots & pans and roasters were washed and re-stashed in their place. But that was then and this is now!

I finished my last cup of coffee and then unloaded the dishwasher that Dane had taken care of yesterday. I had to inspect every piece as he didn't see the need to rinse the really stuck on things ~ so they got filled with water and then swished around with the Dobie scrubber before being RE-LOADED for a second go around. I don't complain because it's just nice to have him make the effort to get the dishes out of sight from me.

I'm thinking it might be a 'Let's-Go-Out' evening. I'm at a complete loss of ideas, I'm tired, my feet still hurt and I can in no way face messing around with leftovers......

cookingirl

cookingirl

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Mine was quiet, non traditional— just me and Geoffrey.

I am not a fan of turkey, so I made chicken thighs, roasted in a homemade savory fresh cranberry sauce. I varied it from last year. This year was mashed potatoes and green beans— wine and Trader Joe’s: holiday Jo-Joes ice cream. Vanilla ice cream with crushed chocolate coated Oreos.

Imelda HL likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum