Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer

+4
NormM
bethk
Admin
JanaAZ
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today will be Greek eggplant moussaka. It's in the oven baking right now. I helped Tina put it together, because she is in such pain in her hands.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"You asked for remodel pictures. I decided that my smaller bathroom also needed some ‘love’. On the one picture you can see part of the new shower door. The old one was with the three panels of glass with the aluminum frames and track. Hard to clean. Then once I had the new door, the countertop etc looked old, so I changed those too. Kept the old cabinet, had put in a new, higher toilet and grab bars shortly after I moved here. When the kitchen is done, basically everything in this condo will have been done."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_06_13

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_06_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today will be Greek eggplant moussaka. It's in the oven baking right now. I helped Tina put it together, because she is in such pain in her hands.

and I'm hoping to get pictures of your supper tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked in the freezer this morning trying to decide what to make for supper. As I was reaching for the bag containing hamburger patties I had to move the bag that contained 3 marinated London Broil steaks.

Score!

Marinated steak sounded way better to me than a burger patty. I drained off the marinade after it was thawed and boiled it down to a syrup to use as a drizzle.

I ended up grilling the steak, shared a baked sweet potato, steamed some asparagus and made a 'quick' salad of cucumber, onion, tomatoes & bottled Italian Dressing.

No complaints.......and that's a good thing!

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_06_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant moussaka, and eggplant and beef and pork meatballs.
August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 Eggpla10

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 Eggpla11

bethk and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. First real dinner done in my new oven. Cornish hen. Really just a small chicken, right? And roasted vegetables potato, onion, carrot and yellow zucchini."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_06_16

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. First real dinner done in my new oven. Cornish hen. Really just a small chicken, right? And roasted vegetables potato, onion, carrot and yellow zucchini."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_06_16

I think my old oven was not accurate in temperature. I used 375 for this, and the hen got burnt basically right away. Turned it down to 350 for the rest of the time. Guess I have to learn to adjust. And, I will be doing a lot more "wiping" fingerprints off the stainless! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, does your new oven have the option for convection (with the fan blowing) or standard roasting?

Mine lets me choose which method I prefer. I find things get browned really quickly when it's on convection (or 'Quick Bake' as it's called on my controls).

Same with the broiler ~ I have a choice of 'HI' or 'LOW' ~ The HI setting turned my hot dog buns into incinerated lumps without me being aware until I saw the smoke billowing out the door.....

Cookin Lore

Yes it has convection option. I was not using it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Only other suggestion I would have would to place an oven thermometer inside to see if it's calibrated properly......

Just trying to help.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. It's really hot today.

At least I'm not complaining about more rain ~ but I find I have to complain about SOMETHING! LOL

Lyn called and asked if we'd like to join them at a small place they've heard had excellent food.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Probably leftover eggplant..... or Liptons soup and toast.
Poor Tina has a cold and cough. She has a FROG voice. I'm hoping not to get it.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie is having a birthday party today. He invited his low rider car club over and is serving all Korean food. He expects a lot of people.  I have converted my smoker into a great big grill. I made some Asian radish pickles, spicy pork to grill and bought a lot of pre-seasoned beef short ribs.  I will get started around 4:30. I'll send pictures.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie is having a birthday party today. He invited his low rider car club over and is serving all Korean food. He expects a lot of people.  I have converted my smoker into a great big grill. I made some Asian radish pickles,  spicy pork to grill and bought a lot of pre-seasoned beef short ribs.  I will get started around 4:30. I'll send pictures.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE, FROM UNCLE JIMMY AND AUNT TINA....... ENJOY YOUR DAY!

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a lot of fun, Norm (and also a lot of work!)

Happy Birthday to Charlie! I'm sure everyone will be filled to the brim after a huge spread.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Probably leftover eggplant..... or Liptons soup and toast.

Summer colds are the worst! I hope the soup soothes her throat and she can get some rest.

Both of you ~ stay well!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Probably leftover eggplant..... or Liptons soup and toast.

Summer colds are the worst!  I hope the soup soothes her throat and she can get some rest.

Both of you ~ stay well!

THANKS BETH, At least we are able to stay cool inside with the A/C It's 4:00 PM and 81 outside; humid, and cloudy. 74 inside.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Made a large salad of cukes, pepper, oinion, daikon, parsley, the last of the meat from last night's Cornish hen, some mayo and an avocado. Not too pretty! But yummy!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to a little place Lyn & Bill had heard really good reviews about their food.  It's a 'home-cooking' restaurant ~ and there were a lot of out of the ordinary meals, just nothing that was different than what I usually cook for the two of us.

So, normally, I would have gravitated to the vegetable sides.  

They offered au gratin potatoes, cabbage casserole (with cheese), an interesting combination of root vegetables with a cheese sauce, a turnip & parsnip mash ~ surprisingly without cheese.....but, mashed turnips or rutabagas is not a favorite of mine (too much digestive distress in my system).

I ended up going the 'safe' route with a meatloaf, mashed potato & green bean supper.  It was OK.  Dane had fish with the turnip & parsnip mash and a cole slaw that was in a sweet, creamy sauce.  Lyn had some 'lollipop' lamb chops that she said were good (she's a real lamb lover) and Bill decided on a safe cheeseburger.

I should have ordered the German Schnitzel Dinner - served with a Rahm Sauce with Mushrooms and Onions and Red Cabbage and Potatoes or the German Jägerschnitzel (Hunter Schnitzel with Mushroom Gravy and served with Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans. But I was afraid the breading would be too much carbs for me.  But those two are not what I normally cook at home so it would have at least been something different.

And quite honestly, I was half afraid they had some sort of cheese snuck in where least expected.  LOL

But at least the dinner company was good and we can always have a nice time with Lyn & Bill.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salad using what’s left of the Cornish hen from last night with onion, pepper, daikon, avocado, cucumber, parsley and mayo."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_07_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was Saturday Simple.... Boers Head Lower sodium Ham on rye for Tina and Me, And Quick, in the Styrofoam cup of soup for me.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was grouper & salmon, done on the gas grill on the grill mat to keep any smell out of the house.  I made vegetable spaghetti (zucchini, carrot & onion) to go with it and a chopped salad with garbanzo beans, cucumber, onion, celery, carrot & a cubed avocado on top with a basalmic drizzle.

It was pretty tasty.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_08_12

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_08_13

I'm taking apple cider vinegar capsules to see if I can get my body chemistry straightened out to drop some weight.  I've been making an effort, such as I can, to stop a lot of the excess carbs and also not eating after supper which has always been my 'special' time for treats.

I had lost 8 pounds on my own and then I seemed to stall out, regained a pound.  That's when I decided to give the vinegar capsules a try. It's mainly to get my a1C level down so my doc gets off my back about wanting to put me on meds.  She's required to prescribe meds when the levels get above the recommended level.  So, I'm trying to show her!  LOL  Actually, it would be nice to get back to a more comfortable weight, not thin, but just better for my achy hips & knees.  I remember how Grandma Evelyn 'cured' her Type 2 diabetes and took charge of her health care....drinking apple cider vinegar was the first part of her diet changes.

So, we'll see.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight was grouper & salmon, done on the gas grill on the grill mat to keep any smell out of the house.  I made vegetable spaghetti (zucchini, carrot & onion) to go with it and a chopped salad with garbanzo beans, cucumber, onion, celery, carrot & a cubed avocado on top with a basalmic drizzle.

It was pretty tasty.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_08_12

I'm taking apple cider vinegar capsules to see if I can get my body chemistry straightened out to drop some weight.  I've been making an effort, such as I can, to stop a lot of the excess carbs and also not eating after supper which has always been my 'special' time for treats.

I had lost 8 pounds on my own and then I seemed to stall out, regained a pound.  That's when I decided to give the vinegar capsules a try. It's mainly to get my a1C level down so my doc gets off my back about wanting to put me on meds.  She's required to prescribe meds when the levels get above the recommended level.  So, I'm trying to show her!  LOL  Actually, it would be nice to get back to a more comfortable weight, not thin, but just better for my achy hips & knees.  I remember how Grandma Evelyn 'cured' her Type 2 diabetes and took charge of her health care....drinking apple cider vinegar was the first part of her diet changes.

So, we'll see.
Good for You Beth! .....  Tina And I are taking the GOLI apple cider gummy drops, and It does seem to ease our appetites, and control
the wishes for the high carbs.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers on the grill tonight. Red beets I cooked yesterday and then just cut and heated tonight. A repeat of the garbanzo/avocado salad because I cooked a whole cup of dried garbanzos and, when cooked, that's a LOT! LOL Actually, no complaints because it's really quite tasty.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 2 08_09_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup I made was pretty good. Tina enjoyed it.
Maria cooked burgers on the grill. I had one naked cheese burger.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum