Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer

+4
NormM
bethk
Admin
JanaAZ
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Cookin Lore

OH NO! Dental work always hurts twice. First in the chair, then in the wallet!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"I think I’ll be eating this for three days. There’s Brie and blue cheese, smoked salmon, shrimp, lettuce, avocado and apple slices, olives, tomatoes, strawberries, parsley. I will just have some fabulous balsamic to drizzle on it. I don’t remember what kind of dressing I had for the original.

The first picture is of the one I had in Morocco ~ the second picture is the one I made at home."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_25_12

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_25_13

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:OH NO!  Dental work always hurts twice.  First in the chair, then in the wallet!

Yes, he never took the time when he was working to get much dental work done. After we retired and moved to Florida he had lots of time ~ an a bunch of 'put-off-until-later' dental work done. The first dental practice he went to ended up being one of the 'group' practices and they charged him more than our first house cost ~ and he still needed corrections done. Then he started going to the dentist I found for me and spent a lot of money but at least they did good work.

As we were eating our soup he wanted to explain to me what they did today. I stuck my fingers in my ears and hummed to myself until his lips stopped moving..........

Hahahahahaha!

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_25_14

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Zita macaroni and sausage....

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

We have some friends in from Chicago and I know they love pierogi so when I made some before I knew I had to save some for them. So today it was pierogi and smoked sausage. Yum

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Cousin Donna's  sloppy Joes.
1 LB ground beef 80%.... onion medium diced and a 1/4 of a green pepper
minced.
Salt and pepper after browning and draining off fat. Add 1 can Campbells tomato soup, and stir. Cook for 10 minutes on simmer, then shut off and let sit for 15 minutes ..... Great on hamburger  or  hot dog buns.
I had mine on brioche rolls.

I'm going to get some ground beef and make this, I don't remember if I've ever made it before. I'm running out of what I want to cook, today we are going to get some fried chicken, Lucky Wishbone, local brand, they are good, when the first time I came here visiting 21 years ago, D took me there and I fell in love with them, since then, we went back there once in a while, we moved to other cities and did not want to make a long drive for them, since we moved back here last November, this will be the 2nd time we have them. I love the thighs, my MiL love the breast, D loves the fried livers and gizzards

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made leftover Salisbury Steak ~ had to make additional mashed potatoes because Dane ate half of what I had planned to use. I just steamed some broccoli for a side.

No pic ~ you've seen it just a couple days ago....

Cookin Lore

No pic from me either, cause I was just about to put dinner in the oven and son called "Mom, we're ordering in pizza, wan to come"? It's a 7 minute drive, so, of course I went. London Broil and baked potato for tomorrow!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sliced & browned some Johnsonville Beef Brats and then heated them with a small can of sauerkraut with half an apple grated in to 'soften' the tart sauerkraut. I had the last of the mashed potatoes with it.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_27_11

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pea and ham soup.
Chocolate / pudding with sliced banana cream pie.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Sloppy Joe today, I heat the leftover fries from the take out fried chicken we bought yesterday

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 88195510

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I sliced & browned some Johnsonville Beef Brats and then heated them with a small can of sauerkraut with half an apple grated in to 'soften' the tart sauerkraut.  I had the last of the mashed potatoes with it.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_27_11

An idea for me, I have 1 pack of Johnsonville Beef Brats in my freezer

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went to the local Farmers' Market this morning. I didn't find a lot I wanted but they did have some fresh looking pea pods. So tonight will be beef & pea pods....and I'll use the last of the bok choy I had in the refrigerator.

People around here are not the most knowledgeable about farming. 90% of the stalls are simply bulk produce brokers that all buy at the same wholesale market. The product is the same but is displayed differently and priced very close to the same as the next. There are only a couple that are local farms with locally grown produce. And many people won't go to them because the produce isn't 'picture perfect', but with blemishes or misshapen in the way it grew. The lady I picked up the pea pods from has them placed in small baskets (they dump the produce into a bag and keep the basket to re-use) and purchased at the Asian Market I go to in Orlando. She buys a bag of baby bok choy, probably 25 or 30 small plants, for $2 - $3. Then she puts them in rubber bands of groups of 3 and sells them for $1 each. Pretty good mark up but she is making the trip to get them, keeping them refrigerated and then displays them nicely for the shoppers. I don't mind paying the price for the convenience once in a while but it's definitely not a real 'deal' as others think.

There was a local orchard that was selling 'local' peaches for $4/basket. In each basket was 1 softball sized peach and one baseball sized peach. $4 for two peaches is TOO expensive for me! LOL

Cookin Lore

I went to our local farmers' market too. So many wonderful vegetables and fruit. All locally grown. Our area is truly amazing. I didn't need much, bought some eggs, bread, pimiento peppers, onions and potatoes. Oh, and grapes. Two kinds of seedless. Yumm!

Sons are golfing today, Michael who lives about 40miles away is staying with his brother tonight as they are golfing. Daughter-in-law has gone home to Sieuex Falls for the first time in almost two years, so Michael is staying overnight. Both sons are coming for brunch tomorrow. Fresh Ontario potatoes to make home fries, and fresh free range eggs to go with them. There will be chicken schnitzels actually which are topped by an egg. Breaded schnitzel with an egg on top is the must have for brunch when my kids come!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used the last two small pieces of beef tenderloin for the beef & pea pod stir fry tonight. As usual, there are leftovers.....and I'm happy because it was really good!

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_28_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight London broil, a bit of sausage, baked potatoes and green beans."

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_28_15

NormM

NormM

I tried a very different version of Orange Chicken that I have been making since Charlie was young. It was pretty good.August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 20210821

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I tried a very different version of Orange Chicken that I have been making since Charlie was young.  It was pretty good.

That looks good, Norm.

We went to a local country club and, happy coincidence, Darlene ordered their orange chicken tonight as well. Neighbor Tom and Dane ended up with the fish & chips and I had the chicken/strawberry/avocado salad that I started thinking about mid morning and couldn't get out of my head......

Everyone was a happy camper with our selections for supper.

Cookin Lore

I made some extra chicken schnitzel pieces yesterday for brunch, always nice to have a piece as a snack, right? So two pieces of that, and a yummy piece of sourdough multigrain bread topped with peanut butter was my dinner. Nothing green in sight! LOL But, I have been munching on the grapes I got at the market too! Lots of sugar in it all. LOL

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made stuffed bell peppers, and baked a chocolate iced white cake.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Whoops! Forgot to post last night......don't know where my head was.

I used the last of the chicken I had poached to make creamed chicken & vegetables over noodles.

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 08_30_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Zero thoughts for what to make today....

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made a breaded chicken breast with a mustardy sauce and a salad. I made a salad dressing that Charlie liked. It was used in all the teriyaki restaurants when he was living in Seattle.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

August 2021 - what’s cooking in the dog days of summer - Page 6 20210822
NormM wrote:I made a breaded chicken breast with a mustardy sauce and a salad.  I made a salad dressing that Charlie liked. It was used in all the teriyaki restaurants when he was living in Seattle.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD made cheeseburgers on the grill.
Had that with a side of ziti macaroni and cheese.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum