Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... I'm thinking of some April Fools Jokes to play on whomever.
Not even a thought of what to eat, today, but even for this week.
The last day was the cod fish, and hot cross buns. I ate three already.
I love those buns.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  Cod_sw10

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  Hot_cr10

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pics)

bethk, NormM and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I like hot cross buns.....well, I'll admit, ANY yeast roll is a favorite of mine..........

I just don't care for the citron fruit that's in so many. My aunt made them with a combination of currants, raisins & golden raisins. So very good!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I was craving for wonton/dumplings, so I made them today, I got 60 wontons from 1 pack of wrappers, I was not sure if they'd enjoy my wonton, I know usually the restaurants sell wonton soup for appetizer only, but we usually eat it as a meal, So I made some big fat ham and cheese bagel for D and his mom, D also asked for a small bowl of wonton soup.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  16836811
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  16742010

here is the way I eat my wonton, with fried garlic oil + sesame oil + fish sauce and chili oil
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  16746310

bethk, NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

Cookin Lore

I was planning to have my kids here Sunday for Easter Brunch. Then, last night our premier announced a province wide lockdown. Visiting only with people you live with, our COVID numbers are going up dramatically. THere are a lot of people in this building older than I, and I have no guarantee that my children are not bringing the bug in here, so no brunch. Temperature is supposed to be in the mid 60's F on Sunday, so we'll have a garage/driveway visit at son's house.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had two days of 'no-cooking'. Thursday night we went out for gyros for him and a chicken BLT sandwich for me. Today I had a late lunch with Lyn and Toledo friend, Marcy, so I just thawed out a container of chili for Dane and then I went about my cooking prep.

DD#1, Son-in-Law and granddaughter, Tori, are coming to visit for about 30 hours ~ mid-day Saturday and Sunday until evening. They flew into Orlando on Tuesday so Jim could have his 4-week check up after his hip surgery. They've been at his parents' condo at the ocean since they arrived. Originally they were suppose to stay here until Monday evening but Andrea is scheduled for her second vaccination on Tuesday morning so they had to bump up their flight home a day early.

So, being a holiday weekend, the last thing I want to do is try to go out to eat. I just made a Lemon Sunshine Cake ~ Grandma's recipe for a lemon chiffon cake that we've made for years. I made a pan of the orange Jello cabbage/carrot/pineapple salad and I have the vegetables prepped for a cauliflower/pea/bacon salad.

I have Cuban Picadillo Empanadas made for Saturday lunch, a whole chicken to grill for Saturday supper, along with a bunch of vegetables to roast in the convection oven. I went to Sam's Club and got a small beef tenderloin for Sunday. I've got asparagus and some other vegetables and I'll bake off some potatoes for those who would like one.

I had picked up a ham but then I remembered no one in Andrea's family is a fan of it so that's when I came up with the beef tenderloin idea.

The cake will get served with a mixture of strawberries & blueberries and (just maybe.....) some fresh whipped cream. Traditionally it has a lemon custard to go with it but I know they will all prefer just the fresh fruit with it.

It's been almost 2 years since we've seen Andrea, Jim & Tori ~ we'll miss Joshua but he's in college and didn't get a 'spring break' this year. Hopefully he'll have a chance to come down in the summer or early fall. 30 hours isn't much but I'm not complaining.....I'll take what I can get!

bethk

bethk
Admin

My cake was completely cooled so I de-panned it.....the worst part. If it's too warm the sides shred and if it's too cold it won't come out of the cake pan. I tore up the 'top' a bit but that's easily fixed with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a slather of whipped cream.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_02_12

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Roasted pork tenderloin, sweet potato and some golden beets for dinner tonight. I am not fond of beets, but what I did today just might make me a bit of a fan. I roasted them in the oven, when cooled, I peeled/sliced them and then added a bit of oil, thinly sliced onion, salt/pepper, feta and a sweet balsamico. I think actually the feta was not necessary, and I love feta. Red beets would look prettier, so that's what I'll do next time The balsamic was fabulous!

My niece's boyfriend introduced me to the delights of good balsamics. He is a buyer for one of Canada's major grocery chains and when he comes for a visit, he sometimes brings things that suppliers are trying to get into the stores, but don't make it. He once brought me some calamar steaks!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I was craving for wonton/dumplings, so I made them today, I got 60 wontons from 1 pack of wrappers, I was not sure if they'd enjoy my wonton, I know usually the restaurants sell wonton soup for appetizer only, but we usually eat it as a meal, So I made some big fat ham and cheese bagel for D and his mom, D also asked for a small bowl of wonton soup.

here is the way I eat my wonton, with fried garlic oil + sesame oil + fish sauce and chili oil

You could put a big plate of those dumplings in front of me and hear NO complaints what so ever! I know it's not familiar to Dirk's mom but I'll bet she still likes to try them and enjoys the new flavors.

As usual, your pictures are amazing!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork tenderloin with a sweet chili sauce, baked sweet potato, and some roasted golden beets with feta, onion, parsley and a balsamic glaze. Red beets would look prettier but they were good!"

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_02_13

bethk, NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Just spent 9 days in the hospital and finally was released today. Still very sore and am plugged from the narcotics. They used an upper epidural and it kept me pain free for days. I am still weak and it will take some time to recover. I have to see the surgeon and oncologist this week and I will know more about the chemo. Got to go shopping for medical supplies but not quite sure what I need yet.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Just spent 9 days in the hospital and finally was released today. Still very sore and am plugged from the narcotics. They used an upper epidural and it kept me pain free for days. I am still weak and it will take some time to recover. I have to see the surgeon and oncologist this week and I will know more about the chemo. Got to go shopping for medical supplies but not quite sure what I need yet.

Happy to see you back home, Debbie! A hospital stay is never a fun time ~ hopefully your recovery time will be short.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Just spent 9 days in the hospital and finally was released today. Still very sore and am plugged from the narcotics. They used an upper epidural and it kept me pain free for days. I am still weak and it will take some time to recover. I have to see the surgeon and oncologist this week and I will know more about the chemo. Got to go shopping for medical supplies but not quite sure what I need yet.

Happy to see you back home, Debbie!  A hospital stay is never a fun time ~ hopefully your recovery time will be short.

All the best from me too! Take care of yourself.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kids got here a little before noon. I had the empanadas thawed and ready to go into the oven whenever everyone was hungry. My salad was all prepped and just needed to be tossed together. The salad is an old family favorite that we had only on holidays ~ I don't know why we never made it for an 'everyday' meal.....maybe because then it wouldn't be a 'special holiday dish'. LOL

One other time when they were here I had made the empanadas for lunch for Andrea, Tori & me and Tori liked them so it seemed only right to serve them again. Jim's not a fan of anything spicy ~ except horseradish & wasabi, which doesn't bother him. But if I serve him something with peppers he gets sicker than a dog. I talked about the picadillo having green olives & raisins just so he wouldn't be surprised if he saw the ingredients. But he enjoyed them and had seconds.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_03_12

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_03_13

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spatchcocked a chicken to grill on the gas grill ~ removed the keel bone so it would cook evenly. Tori likes roasted Brussels sprouts if they're crunchy (aka: blackened....) and son-in-law Jim mentioned they would REALLY be good with bacon ~ so, well done roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon was on the menu! Andrea was happy to have the family favorite Jello Cabbage/Carrot/Pineapple salad.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_03_14

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_03_15

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Rest well Debbie and hope you get well soon

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I was craving for wonton/dumplings, so I made them today, I got 60 wontons from 1 pack of wrappers, I was not sure if they'd enjoy my wonton, I know usually the restaurants sell wonton soup for appetizer only, but we usually eat it as a meal, So I made some big fat ham and cheese bagel for D and his mom, D also asked for a small bowl of wonton soup.

You could put a big plate of those dumplings in front of me and hear NO complaints what so ever!  I know it's not familiar to Dirk's mom but I'll bet she still likes to try them and enjoys the new flavors.  

As usual, your pictures are amazing!

Thank you Beth.. yeah she like wonton soup as appetizer, so she needs another meal for main course. Today she is not feeling well, I plan to make her some plain soup, D said, maybe some chicken/beef broth, so I don't know, we need to ask her what she wants

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I spatchcocked a chicken to grill on the gas grill ~ removed the keel bone so it would cook evenly.  Tori likes roasted Brussels sprouts if they're crunchy (aka: blackened....) and son-in-law Jim mentioned they would REALLY be good with bacon ~ so, well done roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon was on the menu!  Andrea was happy to have the family favorite Jello Cabbage/Carrot/Pineapple salad.

Enjoy your family time, Beth, it sounds fun. Tomorrow I'll bake some leftover ham with pineapple, roast some asparagus, either macaroni salad or scallops potato, my sister in law is going to bring green bean casserole, I can't think of what else to serve, oh I baked a Blueberry lemon pie, it's sitting on my counter to cool, too bad, I could not arrange the berries evenly  Shocked

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  16884510

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea & Jim always stay at a hotel close to our house when they come to visit ~ Tori stays with us! That way no one has to sleep on the couch and everyone gets a good night's sleep.

When they got here at 9:00 Tori was still sleeping (no big surprise for a teenager.....) and rather than fight the crowds for breakfast seating, I made breakfast here. There were eggs over easy, eggs scrambled, blueberry pancakes, Canadian bacon, cinnamon raisin toast & Dane's wheat toast. Man, I haven't done 'short-order-cook' work in years! Andrea offered to cook but she's not familiar with my induction stove so I just asked her to be in charge of the table & condiments & coffee.

So, you can imagine why there is no picture of breakfast ~ ~ ~

I did do most of the prep for today's Easter dinner. The only chore left to do is to peel potatoes.

So now I'm going to go sit outside in the shade and try to cool down......LOL

Cookin Lore

Shortest Easter visit I've ever had. Visit with my sons and daughters-in=law, sitting on the back deck in the sunshine. LIsa had made a lovely charcouterie board (on a board my son made) I had some cheese, crackers, a couple of pieces of sausage and a light beer. Our normal brunch has chicken cutlets, home fries, but that wasn't going to happen. So, I had the potatoes and the chicken, I made potato salad and breaded and fried the chicken, packed it up for the kids to have for supper, or lunch tomorrow or whenever. They seemed to be happy!

Ontario's covid numbers are climbing, we seem to be in a third wave, and I'm doing my best to stay safe. It was a lovely visit.

Admin and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our holiday meal was delicious! Beef tenderloin (cooked to 123° for a perfect medium rare), mashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower & asparagus. I even made an herb butter to spoon over the beef with fresh chives, thyme & parsley from our patio pots. The cake was Grandma's recipe for Lemon Sunshine Cake with strawberries/blueberries & Cool Whip (by request of Jim & Tori). The kids have to head to stay the night at the airport in Orlando for an early morning flight back to Indiana ~ back to school & work after a 9 day holiday. We're just so happy we had the chance to visit with them. We've both gotten past the 2-week 'post vaccination' and they're set to have their second vaccinations tomorrow. Tori is happy once she's done with both vaccinations she won't have to be tested before soccer games every time.

And just because I can.........here are random pics of my meal prep & meal:

My 2-1/2 pound beef tenderloin roast ~ picked up at Sam's Club & butchered by me.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_11

Vegetables drizzled/tossed with olive oil and seasoned with s&p, ready to go into the convection oven ~ 475° for about 10 minutes.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_12

Rested roast ~ internal temperature of 123°

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_13

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_14

Dinner plate:

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_15

Dessert of Grandma's Lemon Sunshine Cake with fruit & Cool Whip ~ also passed as Andrea's birthday cake a couple weeks early.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  04_04_16

NormM

NormM

I asked Charlie what he wanted for Easter. I gave him a choice of ham, lamb, turkey, roast beef or Cornish hens. He chose Cornish hens. While I was at the store, I also picked up a small lamb roast which I braised with wine and rosemary. I liked the hens better. We also had deviled eggs, rice, creamed corn and strawberries with whipped cream and angel food cake.It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  20210410
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  20210410

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Everyone's meals look so good! We had eggs Benedict with Mimosas for a late brunch.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Everyone's meals look so good! We had eggs Benedict with Mimosas for a late brunch.

I'm glad you had the energy to cook, Debbie. Hope your strength comes back ~ ~ just don't over-do and land on your back. I now believe if I don't do it today, there's always tomorrow or the month of June! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Everyone's meals look so good! We had eggs Benedict with Mimosas for a late brunch.

I'm glad you had the energy to cook, Debbie.  Hope your strength comes back ~ ~ just don't over-do and land on your back.  I now believe if I don't do it today, there's always tomorrow or the month of June!  LOL

I didn't cook. It is all I can do to go to the bathroom but Joe and Katie cooked the eggs,

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum