Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love that you will cook anything new and different for you & Charlie.  I'm just not that adventurous!

I thought the ingredient list was really interesting, especially "4-5 sprigs of chrysanthemum greens" ~ I can say with all certainty I've NEVER cooked with those!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Cookin Lore wrote:Thank you for the pictures also.  And for mentioning moringa leaves.  I have also not heard of them, so I asked Cook GOOGLE about them.WOW, what is moringa not used for in other parts of the world.  It does sound like a superfood!  I had a small chicken in my freezer, so that's on the menu today.  Not sure yet what will go with it.  I haven't done a whole chicken for a while, the rotisserie birds in the supermarkets are so worth it.  

Parts of Ontario are slowly opening up, especially the garden centres so people will be able to get their gardens growing.  It is still early for annuals, though.  

They call Moringa as miracle leaves because of their nutrients, they are so popular in Asian country, they grow wild. Our friend gave a pot with young Moringa tree, they grow good here, but need shady porch. We also have longevity spinach plants, another miracle plants ( they say ), sometime we add them in our salad, they are good, a little hint of bitterness, we like them

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 67428210
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 69547110

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 55875511
Moringa

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Fish looks good Norm, I like this kind of fish stew, but D does not, he like his fish fried, grilled and baked, no soup and no bones. Sometime I'd cook for my self and cooked something he liked for him, so we both could enjoy our own meals

bethk

bethk
Admin

Word has it that P.F. Chang's is going to open in The Villages ~ a much anticipated addition to the many restaurants we have available to us. I did not know the restaurant was connected to Cecilia Chiang, the famous San Francisco restaurateur. I had seen a 'TV special' on her life and it was really interesting ~ how she came from a rich family in China and had to walk across the country with her sister to escape the evils of war. She ended up in San Francisco and somehow opened a restaurant and it was a huge success with the rich and powerful in California.

Anyway, if you don't recognize the name, you'll surely recognize her picture.

The first P.F. Chang’s opened in 1993 and was founded by Paul Fleming and Philip Chiang. P.F. Chang’s traces its roots to the Mandarin, founded in San Francisco by Chiang’s mother Cecelia, who started a second restaurant in 1974 in Beverly Hills where she began feeding celebrities like John Lennon and Yoko Ono. That year, she was called back to China for an extended trip and her son stepped in to run the restaurant.
Today, the restaurant chain serves up $1 billion in annual revenue.
Cecilia Chiang
The name “P.F. Chang’s” is derived from those of Paul Fleming and Philip Chiang, whose surname was simplified to Chang. There are now more than 200 P.F. Chang’s in the United States and another 100 locations around the world.

(Oh, darn ~ her picture wouldn't download here.....Google her and you'll know who I'm talking about)

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:I love that you will cook anything new and different for you & Charlie.  I'm just not that adventurous!

I thought the ingredient list was really interesting, especially "4-5 sprigs of chrysanthemum greens" ~ I can say with all certainty I've NEVER cooked with those!

I never have either. They suggested substitutions and I used basil. I think it's put there mostly for decoration.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to grill some shrimp (package of frozen 'wild caught') to make shrimp tacos but when I mentioned what we were having, 'HE' said, "I don't want mine in a tortilla or as a taco". So, then you 'PUNT'!

I came up with fried shrimp with a bang-bang sauce. The restaurant near us, Bonefish Grill, has an appetizer special of that dish. People rave about it. I googled the sauce and found it's simply mayo, sriracha & sweet chili sauce. All stuff I have in my refrigerator. Then, after I had it at home I went to the restaurant and tried the (overpriced) appetizer. Yup ~ that's exactly what it tasted like.

I do go a bit 'wild-er' and use the chili garlic sauce instead of sriracha because it's a little spicier and we like the flavor better. But it's easy to whip up at the last minute to use with seafood or as a mayo substitute on sandwiches.

I didn't have any corn flour to use for the shrimps and couldn't find any at the store, but they did have some Louisiana Fish Fry package that had corn flour as the main ingredient. I didn't really care for the rest of the flavors but it was a suitable substitute since I didn't have what I wanted to use. I sprinkled some of the cajun seasoning on the shrimp when I scooped them out of the oil.

I used the leftover beans, corn & tiny bit of rice for a vegetable fry.....

and that was supper.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 05_04_11

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Happy 41st Michele!

Joe's and my anniversary is coming up in June. 37 years.

Thanks, Debie!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I hoped it would be taken that way.  Smile

Good, as I laughed too, Norm!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Thanks, yes, we have different culture, tradition and way to celebrate the lives of our love ones. D was sorry he could not make it, my sister and her family arrived a day later, the flew from Texas, her husband and daughter stayed for 3 nights then had to fly back to State due to their job and school. And here are some pictures of the flowers we got for my mom's funeral.
The flower boards are made of styrofoam with some plastic and fresh flowers added, the more the fresh flowers added, the prices are much more expensive. usually, after the funeral, the flower shops employees come and take back of the boards, they use them again for their next orders Twisted Evil

The funeral home is a big building that divided to bunch of 4 m x 10 m rooms, we rent 2 rooms, every room has it's own bedroom with 2 bunk beds and private bathroom for family member who stay for the night

Thanks so much for sharing all this info, Imelda. So interesting and unlike anything we have here in the States. Beautiful! I enjoyed seeing a picture of your mom, too!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I was trying to decide whether to mow the lawn or go to the Asian Market to get ingredients for a spicy fish stew that Charlie asked me to make sometime but when I went to the window to water my new plants, I saw it was raining outside so I guess it the market for me.  The azalea has around ten flowers and a few buds waiting to open and the Chinese Elm is growing. I have even had to prune back some branches that got too long in the wrong places.  May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 20200511

It's obvious, Norm, that you've discovered the key to taking care of those bonsai plants -- they both look gorgeous!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot to include a pic of dessert! It must be because it's so rare for me......

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 05_04_12

And I cannot say how good it was! I cut back on the sugar in the recipe and I'm really happy it didn't come out way too sweet as it usually does. Nothing beats fresh peaches! (OK, so the ice cream wasn't too bad with it, either!)

Cookin Lore

Thanks for posting the recipe, Norm. I doubt that I will be making it any time soon, as it seems to be quite involved. I think it sounds delish! I would love to make it for some special guests in the future when we can all have friends over for dinners. I have several friends, some are couples whom I call my "guinea pigs." In other words, I ask them over when I want to make something new and want an opinion. My new friends, next door in my condo are in that group. They just say, "Oh, please experiment dishes on us!" Then I don't have to be concerned about likes, dislikes or allergies. So much fun to invite. Hopefully soon!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Macaroni, Perciatelli.... very hard to eat without making noises, or slopping around the plate and table. Mom never made them because my brother and I would make squealing noises as we ate them.  They were good though!

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 Img_1831

NormM

NormM

Thank you Michelle. You are welcome Lore.  I couldn't find those dried anchovies.  My wife and her mother had them all the time but I don't so I used anchovy paste that comes in a tube.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Thank you Michelle.  You are welcome Lore.  I couldn't find those dried anchovies.  My wife and her mother had them all the time but I don't so I used anchovy paste that comes in a tube.

We also use a lot dried anchovies, my husband does not like them, he said, their eyes are looking at him  Razz

This is my favorite way to cook them, deep fry them, mix with fried peanuts and chili sauce

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 3 19175310

NormM

NormM

Maybe I should look for them somewhere other than the Korean section of the store.

Cookin Lore

Salty kippers (dried herring) chopped would probably work as well.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Maybe I should look for them somewhere other than the Korean section of the store.

Usually at the refrigerator area, together with Chinese sausages and salted fish, and they are quite expensive

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I saw an ads for St.Louis spare ribs for $1.97/lbs, the sale starts tomorrow, I'm planning to go to the store (Safeway/Albertson) early to get some, hopefully they allow me to buy 4 packs of them

NormM

NormM

Thanks Imelda. I would not have guessed they are there.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:I saw an ads for St.Louis spare ribs for $1.97/lbs, the sale starts tomorrow, I'm planning to go to the store (Safeway/Albertson) early to get some, hopefully they allow me to buy 4 packs of them

Some stores are putting limits on what you can buy. Perhaps if Dirk went with you, you could buy more.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Do what Tina does.... She buys the limit, pays with a credit card, puts it in the car, then goes back and pays for another limited quantity with a different credit card.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cooking is in the works. I cut, pounded out, and breaded thin slices of the roast eye of round; to be used for chicken fried steak.

Tina is assembling the Eggplant Moussaka as I write this.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I saw an ads for St.Louis spare ribs for $1.97/lbs, the sale starts tomorrow, I'm planning to go to the store (Safeway/Albertson) early to get some, hopefully they allow me to buy 4 packs of them

Some stores are putting limits on what you can buy. Perhaps if Dirk went with you, you could buy more.

That's a good idea, I have to make sure we don't need the store/club card to get the sales

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a 'Get-Outta-Dodge-Day'. Neighbor Darlene & I drove 40 miles to the Gulf Coast, well, inland from the Gulf but on the water (river). Darlene wanted to get some fresh grouper like I bought when Dane & I went. The first place we went wasn't open but we found another fish market and she was able to get a nice filet to cook tomorrow.

We went to a dinky little 'dive' type restaurant ~ not even what I would classify as a real restaurant. It's called "The Freezer" and is an abandoned seafood freezer where they processed seafood years ago. You walk in and place your order at a table and then they tell you to go to one of the tables set up outside under the trees (all well over 6' apart). They're 'famous' for their steamed shrimp with house seasoning (similar to Old Bay). Everything they have is steamed. They had mussels, clams, stone crab & snow crab legs. A couple things came with a side of slaw. Oh, and no 'outside' drinks allowed ~ they only had beer or wine (no bottled water or soft drinks ~ ????).

We both got the 1/2 lb. of steamed shrimp, which was a lot. Darlene loved it. Me, not so much. It was OK but nothing I'd go out of my way for again. It was different and fun to try something out of the ordinary. For that reason alone I'd do it again if someone else in the neighborhood wanted to go.

When I got home I made some sloppy joes, toasted a few buns in the toaster oven and opened a fresh bag of chips. No pic tonight ~ I forgot!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum