Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

276May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sat May 30, 2020 12:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have a long time internet friend that lives in Long Valley.  

Oh Wow! That's on the other side of the mountain, ( 'Schooleys Mountain' ) from me. I'm in Hackettstown...

277May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 am

NormM

NormM

Her address is Long Valley but I think she lives on a mountain.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked to the southeast when the rocket was suppose to launch........didn't see a thing. It was a wonder the weather held out. Summer in Florida is daily rain.

We even got through lighting the charcoal grill & doing burgers ~ the rain just started a few minutes ago.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 05_30_12

Cookin Lore

Something new for me today. I looked in my fridge, and somehow I have three containers of 18% cream in my fridge, so I had to figure out what to do. Well, my sister talks about Alfredo sauce all the time, so I figured I'd make some....................... What should I put it on? Well I knew I had scallops in the freezer and I have a super duper spiralizer for spiralized zucchini. . Then fisherman son called that he's just back from fishing and has some rainbow trout. So that was dinner scallops and trout on spiralized succhini. I had never made an alfredo sauce, knew I had a chunk of parmesan in the fridge, but that turned out to be too hard for me to grate, so it had to be the grated stuff. Used the ribbon blade on my Veggie Bullet, and everything turned out great. I will NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PRICE OF A RESTAURANT MEAL AGAIN! But I enjoyed making it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supposed to have a ratatouille, and Tina was to make it.
N O P E!.... It was too late to start cooking; so I had a tomato sandwich with cheese and mayo on a Kaiser roll.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Something new for me today.  I looked in my fridge, and somehow I have three containers of 18% cream  in my fridge, so I had to figure out what to do.  Well, my sister talks about Alfredo sauce all the time, so I figured I'd make some....................... What should I put it on?  Well I knew I had scallops in the freezer and I have a super duper spiralizer for spiralized zucchini. .  Then fisherman son called that he's just back from fishing and has some rainbow trout.  So that was dinner scallops and trout on spiralized succhini.  I had never made an alfredo sauce, knew I had a chunk of parmesan in the fridge, but that turned out to be too hard for me to grate, so it had to be the grated stuff. Used the ribbon blade on my Veggie Bullet, and everything turned out great.  I will NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PRICE OF A RESTAURANT MEAL AGAIN! But I enjoyed making it.

Sounds like a fun meal to make and eat! I've thought about getting a spiralizer but didn't want to give up cabinet real estate for something used seldom.

I do have a really inexpensive hand-held one but it's not done a very good job. I should just toss it. What I do have that does work for small jobs is the OXO Julienne Slicer, looks like a 'Y' Carrot Peeler. I use it on zucchini, yellow squash & carrots for a 'stir fry' that I refer to vegetable spaghetti ~ and we like that a lot.

282May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sat May 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie and Joe ate the whole chicken pot pie. I made some cookie dough and baked 12 cookies. I only got one. Joe and Katie polished off the rest.

Cookin Lore

I understand totally about the cupboard real estate! I have both a Cuisinart food processor and the Veggie Bullet Spiralizer. The sppiralizer was a shopping channel purchase on a whim. Expensive, I think $185. USD for me plus shipping and I have not used it often. My food processor has been on the counter, the other in my pantry, but I'm going to switch their spots today. The bullet also has a shredding blade, to make coleslaw, and a slicing blade for things like scallopped potatoes. Gonna make the coleslaw today, and both sis and daughter-in-law requested scallopped potatoes for in a few days, so it will get a workout.

284May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sun May 31, 2020 11:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have an attachment for my KA mixer that spiralizes, peels apples and potatoes and does a couple other things. I never use it. For slicing, I have a Benriner mandoline which can be a leathal weapon. What I really, really like and use all of the time is a Progressive adjustable hand held slicer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progressive-Prep-Solutions-Adjustable-Slicer/20470690

It isn't the sharpest tool and can mangle a very soft tomato but it is small, easy to use and clean and fits in a drawer.

285May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sun May 31, 2020 11:40 am

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I have an attachment for my KA mixer that spiralizes, peels apples and potatoes and does a couple other things. I never use it. For slicing, I have a Benriner mandoline which can be a leathal weapon. What I really, really like and use all of the time is a Progressive adjustable hand held slicer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progressive-Prep-Solutions-Adjustable-Slicer/20470690

It isn't the sharpest tool and can mangle a very soft tomato but it is small, easy to use and clean and fits in a drawer.

I was not aware that my KA stand mixer had a spiralizing attatchement available, otherwise I would never have bought the Bullet. I also have a very nice, lethal weapon (LOL) called a mandolin which I have so far used for the scallopped potatoes. I think, actually, the slicing blade on the Bullet may make the potatoes too thin. My mandolin is French, stainless and does a great job. So far, I haven't cut any fingertips off, but have been thinking that I should get a chainmail glove for myself! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has a German stainless steel mandolin slicer, and I scream at her for not using the safety holder device when slicing. She waits till it gets 1/4 inch thick before she will use the pusher.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just found out Temecula had a demonstration yesterday of about 350 people. Cops weren't having it and told the crowd that it was an unlawful demonstration and they would be arrested if they didn't leave. I understand there will be more protests today in old town and the duck pond. I am glad I didn't try to go out yesterday because the streets were blocked. They actually tried to get on the freeway but the cops stopped them in their tracks. Katie would have come unglued. She was going to and from her doctor at that time and was using the freeway. She had some ominous news from her doctor and after an MRI and such we will find out how seroius things are. She was upset and this would have been too much for her to handle.

No dinner tonight. We had a huge omelet for breakfast that will keep us full for the rest of the day.

Cookin Lore

I went out for potatoes, red cabbage and two rabbits. No rabbits available in the two places I looked. Son and his father-in-law are re-finishing two small tables for my sister, so I said to the father-in-law that I would cook him a rabbit dinner. Think I'll let my fingers do the walking through the phone directory tomorrow to hunt down the rabbit. LOL. Took some shepherd's pie to uncle, and we talked about rabbits, and he gave me $$$$ and would I make a rabbit for him too, please???? This isolation is keeping me busy!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I don't think I've ever seen rabbit at a grocery store either here in Florida or when I lived in Ohio. It must be a Canadian thing.....or something that's a regular request in your area. I've eaten rabbit, but only during 'hunting season' and when I was much younger. We had turtle then, too.

But if you want some alligator or craw fish, let me know and I'll ship you some!

Cookin Lore

There are a lot of German and Italian immigrants here from the 60's who still enjoy eating rabbits.  Neither of the grocery stores that occasionally have them, had any today.  The market where I know I can get them is a slaughterhouse and market. They  have goat/sheep/turkey/piglets/rabbits.  etc. etc. You can buy a head of an animal, or the guts, or the whole one for a pig/lamb roast!

P.S. Rabbits from hunting season are very different from a domesticated rabbit. Wild rabbit is gamy dark meat, domestic is almost white meat, more like chicken dark meat.

NormM

NormM

I've looked for rabbit around here and can't find any, but I can remember seeing them in the frozen section sometime back. I thought they would be fun to serve at Easter. LOL.

Today we had breaded pork chops and Japanese eggplant with a tomato and poblano dressing. Dessert was watermelon and something the package called Cape Gooseberries but they look and taste like what I know as ground cherries. I looked them up and both names apply.May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 20200524

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did grilled brats, crash potatoes (steamed, smashed & fried potatoes) and the Swiss chard stems that I had from the other day when I only cooked the greens/leaves.

Just as I was putting the brats on the grill, Neighbor Darlene called so she got invited for supper. She was surprised to find she liked the taste of the Swiss chard, had never tasted it before. And the potatoes were a hit with her ~ I have to say the did get nice and browned & crispy and were simply seasoned with a bit of salt......

But you'll just have to take my word for it because I forgot to pick up my phone when we sat down at the table.....I must have been running off my mouth and wasn't thinking. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have seen rabbit someplace. I have seen whole goats at middle eastern markets. I have seen pig heads at walmart, I have seen chicken feet and testicles at the mexican grocery along with other parts that they use for menudo. I'll pass on them all.

294May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sun May 31, 2020 11:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

295May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Some recipe Tina ripped out of a magazine years ago.

Eggplant, zucchini, tomato's, mushrooms, over rice.
Rice Krispie treats for dessert. Ummm!

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Img_1913

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Img_1914

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, are those pineapple cookies or mexican wedding? They are so pretty. What is that dark mound in the center? How do you do the carvings on the sides? They look like a pro made them. Most of the time  my cookies look like a hot mess.

The yellow ones are Pineapple cookies, I filled the center with pineapple jam that I cooked until hard, I rolled one by one. I used a small jig jag head tweezer to pinch the dough, it's a lot of work and time consuming, but I enjoy doing it, it's one of a few cookies that I mastered quite well. My Mom used to make them for holiday season

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:I have two Hoover Linx cordless vacuums. When they work, they do a good job. Mine have been sitting in a closet collecting dust since we moved in. They have lost their suction. I pulled them out today and started to work on them to see if they should be tossed. I took out the dust cups and there was plenty of suction at the motor so there must be a clog. I couldn't see or feel anything so i unscrewed the plate covering the roller. I discovered that the hole where the dirt gets sucked into was completely blocked with compacted pet hair. I started pulling out wads with my fingers and then got my hair catcher that I use on drains. Its' sides have these spikes that grab debris. I shoved it up both ends of the  vacuum and pulled out more wads of fur. No wonder they didn't work. So now they are as good as new. I wonder how many women would do something like this? No one I know.

Tonight is club sandwiches. I have two nice avocados that need to be eaten. Lasst night I had acid stomach and went downstairs to get some ice cream to coat my gut. Joe got to it first. It was a whole pint. He tells me not to buy sweets because he wants to cut back on sugar but when i bring in something for myself, he eats it. Katie is the same way. I have to hide food from her or she will eat an entire bag of whatever it is.

It happened to my vacuum too, it stopped working while I was vacuuming, I thought o oh, we just bought it last year, the last one we had lasted for 20 years. Then D took it apart and found everything clogged inside, from dirt, paper, rubber-band and more Rolling Eyes , he cleaned it and now it works good again

Cookin Lore

My husband, God rest his soul, thought that a central vac system was the greatest thing since sliced bread in 1976. So, he installed one. The hose was 30 ft long. The advertisements were "never drag a vaccuum cleaner around again." Yup, no cleaner, but that blankety blank hose had no wheels, it just had to be dragged around and you had to make certain that you didn't wrap it around any furniture. Then a couple of years later, we were gifted a beautiful Siberian Husky. Chimo was a wonderful dog, but you could spin the wool he lost and make a blanket out of it every spring. (My mother actually did make a small blanket) Can you imagine what happens when that 30 ft. hose happened to have something like a little piece of wood or a toothpick picked up and get stuck? You had to dismantel it,and use a broomstick to push from one end of the hose to get Chimo fur out again. I ended up purchasing another vacuum cleaner.

299May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 12 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Move on to June !!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum