Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020

+3
Imelda HL
Cookin Lore
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

1What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since I plan to sleep in (yeah, right.....never happens) I decided to make the new month / new year thread.

Happy New Year to everyone in our little Forum Family!

May we all have good health and much happiness & laughter in the Chinese year of the optometrist !

Last edited by bethk on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

2What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Cookin Lore

WOW! We've gone ahead by 18,000 years! LOL

Happy New Year everyone!

3What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:WOW!  We've gone ahead by 18,000 years!  LOL

Happy New Year everyone!

You know how you 're-read' your post before clicking on 'Send' ? Well, apparently I do not have 20/20 vision because I never saw that!

Hahahahahahaha

(I hope I got it fixed so it will be 'OUR' little secret!)

4What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Cookin Lore

When my hubby died in 2014 I had a card printed with a picture of him, me, and our two sons. It read, "In loving memory "Dieter Schafer, JUly 31, 1939 - May 17, 2104" It should have, of course been 2014. I approved the copy, the printing company missed the mistake. I forwarded an electronic copy to some friends, one of whom saw the mistake and called me. By that time, I had mailed a few, had about 30 all ready to mail to Germany, Stamps on the envelopes and I did not open them to change the date.

A few weeks later I flew to Germany and saw the card on bookshelves in three different homes. No one had noticed the mistake in the date. LOL

5What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think many times we look at something in print and read it the way it should be, completely ignoring what is actually there. But one of my 'jobs' use to be proofreading copy and making notations for changes.

I realize my '20202' was simply a 'finger-stutter' but I really should have caught that before I moved on.

thanks for being an 'Eagle-Eye'!

6What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy New Year, May we have a blessed 2020. God Bless

7What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I have a question, what is the fan in the oven function? will it increase the heat? Mine has no fan, my sister has fan in her oven, she was asking how to roast her rib, I used 250'F, should I suggest her the same temperature I used? It's an expensive cut of meat, I don't want to ruin it. Thank You

8What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I have a question, what is the fan in the oven function? will it increase the heat? Mine has no fan, my sister has fan in her oven, she was asking how to roast her rib, I used 250'F, should I suggest her the same temperature I used? It's an expensive cut of meat, I don't want to ruin it. Thank You

Imelda, I have a fan in my new oven. It circulates the heat to roast more evenly, in my opinion. I use it for roasted vegetables, especially nice at a high temperature so they get some browning. My oven has a feature that allows me to use either conventional roasting or convection (fan) roasting.

Most times the 'convection' feature (which is what the fan in use is called) will automatically lower the actual temperature so you can use the same timing as you would with a conventional non-fan oven. So if you had success roasting at 250°F she should have the same result using an oven with a fan. I think the most important thing would be to tell her to check the internal temperature with a good thermometer.

9What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:I have a question, what is the fan in the oven function? will it increase the heat? Mine has no fan, my sister has fan in her oven, she was asking how to roast her rib, I used 250'F, should I suggest her the same temperature I used? It's an expensive cut of meat, I don't want to ruin it. Thank You

It is possible that she has a convection feature on her oven. It blows the hot oven air around so that food cooks faster. If that is what she has, and she is using this feature (my oven has a regular bake mode and a convection bake mode), her oven temp should be set 25 degrees lower than she would normally set her oven temp, and her roast will cook 25% faster.

10What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, I posted my answer at the same time as you. LOL.

11What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Cookin Lore

I love, love the convection oven. Had one for about 10 years, then when I bought the condo, the oven here was newer but no convection. I missed it especially for chicken wings. Then someone in the building had a 3 year old convection oven for sale for $300. It also has better sized burners on the glass top, including a keep warm feature.

I am not a baker, but my baking friends tell me that for cookies the convection is best. Making a Salmpn Wellington today for friends, I will use the convection.

12What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy New Year Bean & Kale Soup with Lucky Corn Muffins.....There's beans (coins), ham (pork ~ always moving forward), kale (green for money) and corn muffins (gold)

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 01_01_13

13What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Here is my ham and bean soup for New Years Day and the black eyed bean dip and some corn bread.What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 20200110

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

14What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We just finished eating. The pork loin was juicy. Sweet potatoes and stuffing was good.

Cheesecake later for dessert....

15What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Here is my ham and bean soup for New Years Day and the black eyed bean dip and some corn bread.What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 20200110

Looks good, Norm. After putting kale in my bean soup for the first time, I don't think I'll ever make it without it again. We really liked the look and taste ~ and your collards are almost the same. YUM!

16What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Made pizza tonight. One with pepperoni, cheeses, Italian sausage and the other with bleu, provolone, parmesan, mozzarella and turkey Italian sausage for Katie. I had a couple of bites and now have the burns. Dosing myself with Pepto.

17What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Made pizza tonight. One with pepperoni, cheeses, Italian sausage and the other with bleu, provolone, parmesan, mozzarella and turkey Italian sausage for Katie. I had a couple of bites and now have the burns. Dosing myself with Pepto.

Poor Debbie! No
We know the drill Deb. So far, so good with us.

Have you ever tried digestive enzymes? I take them before and after eating.

18What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:52 am

Cookin Lore

Salmon Wellington tonight for me and two couples/neighbours here in the building. It was a big hit, I don't know how to post pictures so I can't brag!

19What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes, I have tried digestive enzymes. Don't work. I can't tolerate spice like pepperoni. All I had was 1/4 of a slice of pepperoni, not pizza, but pepperoni. That's all it takes.

20What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Yes, I have tried digestive enzymes. Don't work. I can't tolerate spice like pepperoni. All I had was 1/4 of a slice of pepperoni, not pizza, but pepperoni. That's all it takes.

Did you ever get looked at for an ulcer?... I had a peptic ulcer when I was 16; but it healed with treatment and Mylanta ...

21What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Yes, I have tried digestive enzymes. Don't work. I can't tolerate spice like pepperoni. All I had was 1/4 of a slice of pepperoni, not pizza, but pepperoni. That's all it takes.

Did you ever get looked at for an ulcer?... I had a peptic ulcer when I was 16; but it healed with treatment and Mylanta ...

Yes, many, many times. No ulcer.

22What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:

It is possible that she has a convection feature on her oven. It blows the hot oven air around so that food cooks faster. If that is what she has, and she is using this feature (my oven has a regular bake mode and a convection bake mode), her oven temp should be set 25 degrees lower than she would normally set her oven temp, and her roast will cook 25% faster.

Thank you Bugs and Beth, sorry for the late response, I told her what you all told me and let her decide what to do, she turned down the heat to 225'F and roast 30 minutes longer, I think she did a nice roast, her husband and daughter said it was really good, but she said mine tasted better ( she ate mine when she came visiting last Christmas )

Here re some pictures she sent me

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 0ef95610
What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 5944ed10
What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Faea4810

23What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Black-eye peas soup for New Year, Dirk's family tradition

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Dscn6217

the best part ( bones ) are mine

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Dscn6215

24What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

Thank you Bugs and Beth, sorry for the late response, I told her what you all told me and let her decide what to do, she turned down the heat to 225'F and roast 30 minutes longer, I think she did a nice roast, her husband and daughter said it was really good, but she said mine tasted better ( she ate mine when she came visiting last Christmas )

Here re some pictures she sent me

What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 0ef95610
What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 5944ed10
What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Faea4810

That looks perfect! No thick grey band around the roast - pink from center to edge.

25What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Empty Re: What's cooking ~ JANUARY, 2020 Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda ~ the pics of your sister's roast are luscious!  I can almost taste it just by looking.

And your soup is as beautiful and colorful as always.  If superstition holds true, we should ALL have a fabulous 2020!

Happy New Year to you and Dirk!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum