Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, when you make your rice do you rinse it?

I've been buying the India basmati rice from Trader Joes. I find that if I rinse it about 4 times and drain well then I can cook it in the microwave, bring to a boil and then cook on a 20% power for 13 minutes. I stir it immediately when done so the more moist rice on the bottom is on the top and then put the lid back on for about 5 - 10 minutes ~ It gives me the fluffiest, most flavorful rice.

Other times I'll just go back to my old 'stand-by' of par-cooked rice (like Uncle Ben's) for perfect rice cooked in the microwave.

Every time I tried to cook it on the stove I either over cooked it or burned it.....I'm sticking to my microwave method!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is size 10
This is size 13
This is size 16
This is size 18
This is size 24

Yours matches to size 13 on my computer

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just use the 'Quick reply' box at the bottom of the page and whatever font / size it has as it's standard. I'm usually too lazy to play around with it.

If I do want to make a point or get attention to a certain word or phrase then I will click to highlight the words, click on the size and/or color and then enter. It just takes some practice ~ ~ kind of like learning how to insert a picture from your file. After a while it becomes second nature.

Bugster2

Bugster2

TEST Test

Test

This is what it does

Bugster2

Bugster2

$hit!   I didn't know you had to post before the size would change. LOL. Yes, it works.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:$hit!   I didn't know you had to post before the size would change. LOL. Yes, it works.

Hahahahahaha!

Hahahahahaha!

Hahahahahaha!

Hahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a jar of marinara out of the freezer. Dane had suggested 'Mediterranean' as a suggestion for supper. I'm sure he was thinking of Greek Gyro, which I'm not a fan of. So I said, "Pasta it IS!"

Actually it was pretty darn tasty ~ Trader Joe's Italian imported angel hair pasta with the marinara, reheated leftover flatbread (LOVE my DD's recipe for dough!) and a tossed salad with a very simple Fini Basalmic Vinegar / Olive Oil dressing.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 05_24_13

233May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice spaghetti dish Beth. Yummy.

Tonight's supper was a failure. Tina bought a Pillsbury Blue tube pizza crust.
She made a great tasting sauce, with onions. Rolled out the dough, sauced it, then used Almond cheese, and Brick cheese. She topped it with slicing sandwich size pepperoni. hahahahaaa......I don't mean to snicker and laugh, but by the time the grease and oil bubbled out of the cheese, there was a wet sopping sponge like dough, that one would need a spoon to eat it. Tina was disappointed. I sat with my tongue in cheek. I didn't dare open my mouth. May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 1838020472

NormM

NormM

Thank you Imelda.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nice spaghetti dish Beth. Yummy.

She made a great tasting sauce, with onions. Rolled out the dough, sauced it, then used Almond cheese, and Brick cheese. She topped it with slicing sandwich size pepperoni. hahahahaaa......I don't mean to snicker and laugh, but by the time the grease and oil bubbled out of the cheese, there was a wet sopping sponge like dough, that one would need a spoon to eat it. Tina was disappointed. I sat with my tongue in cheek. I didn't dare open my mouth.  May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 1838020472

Cook's Illustrated says you can microwave your pepperoni on some paper towels to par-cook it to remove the grease.

This story reminds me of the first time I made  a monte cristo sandwich that you batter and fry. I didn't know much about frying and I didn't have the oil hot enough. I fried the sandwich till it was brown. It had turned into a sponge and when Joe picked it up, he squeezed it and a half gallon of oil came out of it. We still laugh about it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nice spaghetti dish Beth. Yummy.

She made a great tasting sauce, with onions. Rolled out the dough, sauced it, then used Almond cheese, and Brick cheese. She topped it with slicing sandwich size pepperoni. hahahahaaa......I don't mean to snicker and laugh, but by the time the grease and oil bubbled out of the cheese, there was a wet sopping sponge like dough, that one would need a spoon to eat it. Tina was disappointed. I sat with my tongue in cheek. I didn't dare open my mouth.  May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 1838020472

Cook's Illustrated says you can microwave your pepperoni on some paper towels to par-cook it to remove the grease.

This story reminds me of the first time I made  a monte cristo sandwich that you batter and fry. I didn't know much about frying and I didn't have the oil hot enough. I fried the sandwich till it was brown. It had turned into a sponge and when Joe picked it up, he squeezed it and a half gallon of oil came out of it. We still laugh about it.
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

Christmas, 2019, DD#1 sent a 'Maine Clambake' for our Christmas present.....

For whatever reason, it kept getting ignored in the freezer. It was sealed in plastic and in a heavy box and just sat at the bottom of the garage freezer, topped with whatever else came later. Yesterday I saw it when I got out the marinara and decided to let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. It was in a foil pan with seasonings/butter and then sealed really tightly with heavy duty foil. Instructions said to put it on the grill at 450° and let it heat for 35 - 40 minutes, then rest for 5-10 minutes.

Everything was tender and tasty. A perfect 'no-effort' holiday meal.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 05_25_11

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 05_25_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That looks delicious Beth. May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 940422454

NormM

NormM

The day before yesterday the back yard neighbors and Charlie were texting each other and they mentioned they were having ribs the next day.  Charlie said we had found a really good recipe for ribs and they asked Charlie if I'd make them for them and us.  I ended up getting a second slab and marinated them over night and grilled them yesterday.  She brought potato salad, salad and a cobbler dessert with ice cream. I made creamed corn and we ate outside.  I just took a picture of the ribs and the outside before I swept up some of the droppings from the locust tree that we ate inder. The picture was taken inside before I knew we were eating outside. May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 20200523

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love when a 'spur of the moment' comment gets something great going!

Just decided with Jeanie & Darlene to try going to St. Augustine to go to the beach again today. The previous forecast had been for 90% chance of rain all day for the next week but the weather maps today showed the rain staying out in the ocean. We're going to chance it! All we want to do is sit in our chairs (we're taking light weight chairs this time) and listen to the water.

Hope everyone has a great day!

241May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Love when a 'spur of the moment' comment gets something great going!

Just decided with Jeanie & Darlene to try going to St. Augustine to go to the beach again today.  The previous forecast had been for 90% chance of rain all day for the next week but the weather maps today showed the rain staying out in the ocean.  We're going to chance it!  All we want to do is sit in our chairs (we're taking light weight chairs this time) and listen to the water.  

We are not allowed to sit on our beaches yet. We can go there, swim but have to keep moving. Makes no sense to me.

242May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

We are not allowed to sit on our beaches yet. We can go there, swim but have to keep moving. Makes no sense to me.

I go to a beach by Marine Land ~ even in the 'busy time' it's not crowded. As long as everyone stays distanced from other groups there's no problem. We can sit and then walk at the water's edge.....none of us likes to get into the water. Besides, at this time of the year the water is COLD! You have to wait until September for it to be warm enough to swim in, IMO.....and even then I don't. I'm not a strong swimmer and there are thing that live in the water. They don't issue an invitation for me to be in their home and I don't invite them to come to mine! LOL

243May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

I go to a beach by Marine Land ~ even in the 'busy time' it's not crowded.  As long as everyone stays distanced from other groups there's no problem.  We can sit and then walk at the water's edge.....none of us likes to get into the water.  Besides, at this time of the year the water is COLD!  You have to wait until September for it to be warm enough to swim in, IMO.....and even then I don't.  I'm not a strong swimmer and there are thing that live in the water.  They don't issue an invitation for me to be in their home and I don't invite them to come to mine!  LOL

You sound like me Beth. "There are THINGS that live in the water". Since I have gotten older, I don't go in the water deeper than my waist. I don't like swimming with "THINGS". Makes my skin crawl. Even my SIL, who is a triathalon athlete won't go out far to swim after a woman got attacked by a shark at the beach where she would go to work out. We have stingrays, jellyfish, seaweed and the occasional sewage spill which I can't stand to have touch me. Also, my vision is really bad and when I take off my glasses to go in the water, I can't see what is floating around me. Yes, I can get prescription swim goggles, but I don't go in the water enough to warrant the expense. The only place where I will go out deeper is in Hanama Bay, Hawaii. It is a rocky bay with incredible clear water and amazing, colorful fish. It is great for snorkling. I am a terrible swimmer so even if I snorkle I wear a life vest.

NormM

NormM

The last time I was near an ocean was Sept. 2003 at Pismo Beach, Ca.  The hotel was at the beach and I was told that just a few days before I got there a lady was swimming and some seals were close by and a White shark mistook her for a seal and killed her.  I didn't plan to go swimming in the first place and the wettest I got with salt water when I was there was when the tide came in faster than I expected and got one of my sox wet. They were talking about the odds of getting bit by a shark while I was thinking I won't worry about that until the evolve enough to walk on land.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Love when a 'spur of the moment' comment gets something great going!

Just decided with Jeanie & Darlene to try going to St. Augustine to go to the beach again today.  The previous forecast had been for 90% chance of rain all day for the next week but the weather maps today showed the rain staying out in the ocean.  We're going to chance it!  All we want to do is sit in our chairs (we're taking light weight chairs this time) and listen to the water.  

I'll bet I know what the water said!...... Do You? .... I heard.... "Whooosh!"

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Aurora said, ...... "You 'CAN' have your cake , and EAT IT!"

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Img_0410

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, she's gorgeous! But it makes me tired just thinking about keeping eyes on her and Liam the whole time they're in the house.....I'm too old for babies!

I could have been a beautiful day at the beach.

If it weren't for the rain ~ no rain when we were driving on A1A ~ every time we pulled into a beach parking area it would start sprinkling. By the time we got out of the car it was pouring......

So we spent the day driving around St. Augustine looking at the old houses and the schools. Flagler College is there and the School for the Deaf & Blind ~ great old architecture and beautiful old homes. I cannot imagine the cost of upkeep of the homes in an old historic area and replacing all the wood siding that rots either from the weather or bugs....but fun to drive around and look at. We drove by an old military cemetery in the middle of old town and all the graves were decorated with a flag. Of course, it was raining so we couldn't stop to walk around.

But even with the rain we had a great time. What the heck ~ we're all retired and don't have anything else to do.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, she's gorgeous!  But it makes me tired just thinking about keeping eyes on her and Liam the whole time they're in the house.....I'm too old for babies!

I could have been a beautiful day at the beach.  

If it weren't for the rain ~ no rain when we were driving on A1A ~ every time we pulled into a beach parking area it would start sprinkling.  By the time we got out of the car it was pouring......

So we spent the day driving around St. Augustine looking at the old houses and the schools.  Flagler College is there and the School for the Deaf & Blind ~ great old architecture and beautiful old homes.  I cannot imagine the cost of upkeep of the homes in an old historic area and replacing all the wood siding that rots either from the weather or bugs....but fun to drive around and look at.  We drove by an old military cemetery in the middle of old town and all the graves were decorated with a flag.  Of course, it was raining so we couldn't stop to walk around.

But even with the rain we had a great time.  What the heck ~ we're all retired and don't have anything else to do.

Thanks Beth.... she is a Good Baby too. No crying for a thing or for nothing, and she eats well. As shown... hahaha. Thank god for Maria to entertain her and Liam... She and Liam is too much for us old fogies. Ha!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, when you make your rice do you rinse it?

I've been buying the India basmati rice from Trader Joes.  I find that if I rinse it about 4 times and drain well then I can cook it in the microwave, bring to a boil and then cook on a 20% power for 13 minutes.  I stir it immediately when done so the more moist rice on the bottom is on the top and then put the lid back on for about 5 - 10 minutes ~ It gives me the fluffiest, most flavorful rice.

Other times I'll just go back to my old 'stand-by' of par-cooked rice (like Uncle Ben's) for perfect rice cooked in the microwave.  

Every time I tried to cook it on the stove I either over cooked it or burned it.....I'm sticking to my microwave method!

Yes, I always rinse my rice at least 3 times, I usually cook with my small rice cooker ( 3 cups ), I used to cook in microwave too, but I found out it's easier using my small rice cooker. I have a 10 cups rice cooker which I hardly used

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I baked some pineapple cookies today, and some Mexican Wedding cookies yesterday, out priest is getting a new assignment next month, so those are farewell gifts for him, it's sad to see him go, but he has to go wherever his assignment is

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Dscn6910
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Dscn6912
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Dscn6911

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum