Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A roast beef eye round is on the George Foreman going round and round.
Sherries Birthday ( DIL ), was thursday, so the dinner and cake is today.
Mashed potatoes and a veggies and gravy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have passed 3 within the last 4 days. My urine is brown and test strips show it is loaded with blood. Got to give the doc another call.

Please Debbie..... see / contact the Dr. No We are praying it heals soon.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Happy Anniversary, Michelle!  (You're just a little over 10 years behind US.....LOL

Thanks, Beth. Yes, you were one of those right out of high school brides!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookin Lore wrote:Congratulations on 41 years!  And the flowers.  My hubby was so good in so many ways, but flowers were not his thing.  We had a neighbour years ago who gave his wife flowers every Thursday.  Sometimes he picked them in their garden, sometimes at the side of the road, sometimes he stole them (with our permission) from our flowerbeds.  And, if he was away on business, he had a single rose delivered to her on Thursday.  I asked him why Thursday???? he said that people do special things on the weekend, and Thursday is a sort of lost day.  He died way too early only a few months after retiring at 65.  

Super story about your neighbor and flowers for his wife. What a doll! Brian has always been good about flowers, Lore, as I'm a big flower lover. Plus he used to bring me flowers when I was a waitress even though I was dating someone else. He'd buy two arrangements back then and would bring the two waitresses on duty flowers but everyone and I mean everyone knew they were for me. I had customers asking me when I was going to date "poor Brian." But very early in our relationship when he sent me flowers after we'd had an argument, I told him to never do that again. I said picking up the phone and reading a credit card number to a florist was not going to work for me after an argument. I adore flowers but told him I didn't want flowers in lieu of an apology, nor did I want my joy in flowers tainted by associating getting them with an argument! So he never did that again (well, once but he signed the cat's name, a very funny story in itself) but from then on besides my birthday, our anniversary, and Valentines Day, he'd send me flowers a couple of times a year for no reason. The card would say something like "thinking of you," "just because," "I love you!" and things like that. My co-workers at every place I ever worked kind of groaned when gorgeous flowers were delivered as the receptionists would tell me they always "knew" the flowers were for me. The last place I worked, the female partner told me she loved my getting flowers so often because people probably assumed the law firm purchased the flowers.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Happy 41st anniversary Michelle. God bless you both!

Thanks, Jimmy!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a bone-in, skin-on chicken breast to thaw today.....I cut Swiss chard, sliced up a tomato & baked a sweet potato (part in the microwave, the rest on the back of the grill).

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 05_03_12

Cookin Lore

I hope that in a situation like yours they are. Fingers crossed for you!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Happy 41st Michele!

Joe's and my anniversary is coming up in June. 37 years.

NormM

NormM

That's only two years longer than I have been divorced.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:That's only two years longer than I have been divorced.

I don't know why I'm laughing......but your comment just struck my funny bone.

Often I'll mention Dane & I have had 40 good years together ~ been married 51 years and 40 of them have been AMAZING!

Hahahahahahaha!

(actually, he laughs, too!)

NormM

NormM

I hoped it would be taken that way. Smile

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had a great supper. Roast eye round, Tina made a great gravy.
Mashed potatoes, green beans. Cake, DD made, and ice cream.
We sang Happy birthday to Sherrie.....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:

My goodness, Imelda, your mom's funeral was like nothing I've ever SEEN before -- the flower arrangements -- you called them "flower boards" -- were immense and so pretty! The funeral home seems huge, too. I'm so glad you posted those photos for us to see; please post more if you have them as it's really wonderful to see how your culture celebrates the life of someone you loved! A choir every night, too -- sounds like it was so beautiful! Your mom must have been some kind of a lady to have so many friends -- especially friends who want her family to see how loved she was. What a beautiful celebration of your mom's life, Imelda! I'm so glad you were able to get back for it. Thanks so much for sharing some of it with us.

Thanks, yes, we have different culture, tradition and way to celebrate the lives of our love ones. D was sorry he could not make it, my sister and her family arrived a day later, the flew from Texas, her husband and daughter stayed for 3 nights then had to fly back to State due to their job and school.  And here are some pictures of the flowers we got for my mom's funeral.
The flower boards are made of styrofoam with some plastic and fresh flowers added, the more the fresh flowers added, the prices are much more expensive. usually, after the funeral,  the flower shops employees come and take back of the boards, they use them again for their next orders  Twisted Evil  

The funeral home is a big building that divided to bunch of 4 m x 10 m rooms, we rent 2 rooms, every room has it's own bedroom with 2 bunk beds and private bathroom for family member who stay for the night

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Img-2012

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Img-2011
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200313
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Img-2013

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:Wednesday was our 41st anniversary -- though I always get flowers from Brian, I knew THAT was impossible this year. But I was wrong! Brian began calling our regular florist the week before last and they told him they were planning on opening Wednesday -- they let him place the order on Tuesday. So I got a big surprise Wednesday morning right after we finished the blueberry pancakes I made him for breakfast when the flowers came.

I adore flowers and the ones Brian sends are always pretty but this time, the bouquet was one of their prettiest ever -- a huge arrangement containing light pink roses, salmon colored tulips, several huge white Casablanca lilies that smell divine, some yellow cala lilies, a few stems of green Bells of Ireland -- just chock full of flowers with a couple of branches of fresh pussy willows. I'm going to try to remember to take a picture of them!

Neither of us wanted a big dinner Wednesday night which always happens when we have a big breakfast. So last night we made two of those delicious prime ribeye caps steaks from Costco. They were cheaper than the last time my BIL picked them up for us; this time they were $15.49 a pound instead of $19.99 a pound. The pkg. he picked up had three steaks in them so one went to the freezer. I made macaroni and cheese to go with the steaks (thinking of Charlie, Norm!) and though we had leftover green beans with potatoes and ham shank I'd planned to serve, neither of us were hungry enough to go past the 'roni and cheese. I took the bigger steak but neither of us could finish our steaks, which is good for tonight. They were just medium rare so they have enough room to reheat perfectly for tonight!

I prefer those steaks to any other steak but Brian said he still prefers Gourmet Butcher Block's ribeyes with their seasoning on them. He has a problem with the cap steaks having some silver skin on the edges. Me? I eat the whole steak!

Happy Anniversary Michelle and Brian, hope you had a fantastic day.

I made some omelette for our brunch this weekend, I picked some garlic chives and Moringa leaves from our backyard, I steamed the chives in microwave to soften them, I added 1 extra white eggs and whisked it until frothy, then added 2 whole eggs and whisked again, the omelette turned out so fluffy, it was so good. And today I baked somsome sausage buns. It's hard to find yeast in the stores now, fortunately I still have some flour and a bit of yeast left.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 95288610
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 94798310
May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 95817210

Bugster2

Bugster2

Moringa leaves are new to me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, thank you for the pictures. It's so interesting to learn about your culture.

I can only imagine how very happy Dirk is to have you back home! That wonderful omelette was as delicious as it is pretty, I'm sure. And to have you there to make your sausage rolls for him was probably why he wasn't hungry later in the day!

Keep on the lookout for yeast every time you go to a store. They seem to get small quantities once in a while and if you're lucky there will be some available soon. You could always try starting some 'sourdough' ~ I think Norm has done that. I'm not sure but I think you can get some going easier if you use just a bit of your yeast dough to start. But don't take MY word for it ~ you know I'm NOT a very good baker! LOL

Cookin Lore

Thank you for the pictures also. And for mentioning moringa leaves. I have also not heard of them, so I asked Cook GOOGLE about them.WOW, what is moringa not used for in other parts of the world. It does sound like a superfood! I had a small chicken in my freezer, so that's on the menu today. Not sure yet what will go with it. I haven't done a whole chicken for a while, the rotisserie birds in the supermarkets are so worth it.

Parts of Ontario are slowly opening up, especially the garden centres so people will be able to get their gardens growing. It is still early for annuals, though.

NormM

NormM

I was trying to decide whether to mow the lawn or go to the Asian Market to get ingredients for a spicy fish stew that Charlie asked me to make sometime but when I went to the window to water my new plants, I saw it was raining outside so I guess it the market for me.  The azalea has around ten flowers and a few buds waiting to open and the Chinese Elm is growing. I have even had to prune back some branches that got too long in the wrong places.  May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200511

bethk

bethk
Admin

bounce Laughing bounce

Cookin Lore

Those plants both look awesome! Our garden centres are opening up slowly, so maybe tomorrow I can go. Stuff to do indoors today.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Spaghetti and meatballs on the menu for tonight's supper.
I had to cut a 4 inch piece off the roast from yesterday to be able to fit it in the
Big George rotisserie. I will hammer 5 slices, to make chicken fried cubed steak.

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I was trying to decide whether to mow the lawn or go to the Asian Market to get ingredients for a spicy fish stew that Charlie asked me to make sometime but when I went to the window to water my new plants, I saw it was raining outside so I guess it the market for me.  The azalea has around ten flowers and a few buds waiting to open and the Chinese Elm is growing. I have even had to prune back some branches that got too long in the wrong places.  May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200511

Norm, Would you post the recipe for your spicy fish stew for me/us, please? Two of my favourite words.............spicy and fish! LOL

NormM

NormM

Here is the recipe but it didn't print out in full. The site includes pictures and a demonstration. I am getting ready to start it now.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/maeuntang

Spicy Fish Stew Maeuntang
Ingredients (serves 3 to 4)
2½ pounds cleaned whole fish (black sea bass, cod, pollock, flounder, fluke), cut into 2 inch pieces
8 cups water
1 pound Korean radish (or daikon) sliced into ⅛ inch thin bite sized pieces
7-8 large dried anchovies, with heads and guts removed and placed in a stock pouch (or soup strainer, or tied up in cheesecloth)
1 dae-pa (or 4 to 5 green onions), sliced diagonally
1 large green chili pepper, sliced
1 red chili pepper, optional but if you use, sliced diagonally
4-5 sprigs of chrysanthemum greens (substitute with a few basil sprigs)
For the seasoning paste:
½ cup hot pepper flakes
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Korean fermented bean paste (doenjang)
1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons mirim (or soju)
Directions
Make seasoning paste:
Combine the seasoning paste ingredients in a bowl.
Mix it well with a spoon. Set aside.
Make maeuntang:
Combine the radish, dried anchovies, and 8 cups of water in a large pot.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat until the radish turns a little soft.
Add the fish and about half of the seasoning paste.
Cover and cook for another 20 minutes over medium high heat until the fish is fully cooked.
Remove the anchovy pouch and add green chili pepper and green onion. Taste the soup and add more paste if you want it spicier and saltier.
Gently stir the stew a few times with a wooden spoon and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and add the chrysanthemum greens and red chili peppers.
Serve:
Serve with rice, kimchi, and a few other side dishes, if you have them.
You can put the stew in the middle of the table, with a ladle. Provide bowls for each person and ladle some of the stew into each bowl.
Provide an empty bowl for bones. As people eat the fish they can discard the bones there.

BTW, here are the two plants as they came at the end of Feb.May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200220

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used the last of my 'first of the season' North Florida peaches to make a couple cobblers ~ one for us and one for neighbor Jim (who I'm trying to get to eat more.....).  The peaches have good flavor but were picked too green so they are still hard and green around the pits (free-stone don't come into season until July or August).  

I blanched them to help soften the skins & then still had to use a peeler (good old OXO ~ sharp enough to get the job done).  Then I had to cut the flesh away from the pit like a mango before slicing.  I simmered the peels & pits to get as much flavor out of them as I could and then strained and used the liquid to simmer the sliced peaches with a bit of brown sugar so they would soften up, like the texture of a canned peach.

I used the recipe where you melt butter in the dish, add a thick batter and then add the fruit over.  There are dozens of different cobbler recipes using different methods.

So here's my 'photo journal' of my cobblers......

(there's nothing else to do except cook so I figured I'd bore you with more of my pictures)

The peaches simmering in juices & brown sugar to soften:

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Cookin10

The cobbler set-up with melted butter in the casseroles & the thick batter:

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Cobble10

If your butter is bitter it will ruin your batter ~ fortunately, my butter was just fine!

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 The_ba10

Peaches & juices poured over the butter & batter.....a tad bit too full, I fear.

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Thicke10

Whoops!  I knew I had overfilled ~ but it's not going for any beauty shots!

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 Whoops10

Last edited by bethk on Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200514
I made peach cobbler yesterday. We had it for dessert with the bulgogi but I didn't take a picture.  The fish stew is done.  Charlie is waiting for the rice to finish cooking before I can get his opinion on it.May, 2020 What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 2 20200512

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum