Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello June! What's cooking today?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

176Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Happy Fathers' Day to all the fathers here!  I had a great brunch with my sons and daughters-in-law.  Now going to see my sister for coffee.

Glad you had a nice time, Lore. And a belated Happy Birthday, too! cheers

177Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:We went to Don Shula's Steakhouse in Disney Resorts.....Lyn & Bill treated us for picking them up at the airport when they flew in at 4:30 a.m. on their way back during Bill's medical emergency from their Panama Canal Cruise. They are so generous with us.

Sounds delicious, Beth. And you and Dane are pretty kind to Lyn and Bill, too!

I love a good steak, and the great thing about getting one at a steak house is the proliferation of good sides! Laughed that you took home leftovers, too!

178Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I made a couple of pizzas with sourdough bread, pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage and black olives. I used quesedilla cheese.  I think it tastes a lot like to mozzarella but with a little more flavorHello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 20190630
Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 20190629
Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 20190628

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

179Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I followed through with Philly Cheese Steaks.

I sauteed peppers and onions till caramelized....Steak-ums fried and towled to absorb the grease.
I had two of these beauties.... The YooHoo chocolate drink put another star on the forehead of the chef.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Img_1511

Looks delicious, Jimmy! What kind of cheese is that you used?

180Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I hope you get some fruit on your trees, Bugs.

It looks like we're going to have a good crop of Meyer lemons come December.  We have more this year than we've had in the past.  I think it's due to Dane really sticking to a watering/feeding schedule.  I love being able to walk out my front door and pluck a fresh lemon off my tree!

Especially Meyer lemons, too! It's so true about keeping up with the feeding with potted citrus -- glad you've got a good crop, Beh.

My Meyer lemon tree froze this winter. I knew it would but neither of us was in good enough shape to go outside and cover it (we have no garage to move it into). No biggie. I will buy another one soon as I love having a potted lemon tree. I screwed up with the last one by planting it in a pot that was too big. I knew it at the time and KNEW I'd regret it and would never re-pot it but I did it anyway.

Send Dane over here will you? I'll get him to hook up a small system to regularly water my potted plants on the deck. I've never replaced all the plants on the back deck after we had it re-built last year and stained dark grey this spring. I have to walk out in the grass to reach the pots stuck all over the yard to get some herbs. Some of the potted plants thrived in neglect and others need replacing which I'll get around to one day. I know neither of us will be up to going out and watering them every single day in our heat so I'm thinking of getting one of those little watering systems that cost about $30 and have Lynn, my housekeeper, set it up for me.

My thyme, lemon thyme, French tarragon and rosemary (huge plant that's in the ground) are still living but need to plant some more basil (we use a lot in summer plus I like to make pesto while the getting is good). Also have tons of garlic chives, too -- they're extremely hard to kill!

I also am going to plant some more Thai basil; I planted some from seed in the raised garden a couple years ago and got a huge bush but it finished and needs replacing as well.

I miss gardening and so does Brian but we just can't give it the attention it deserves anymore due to our physical problems. Yard looks shameful this year but whatchagonnado?!

181Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:My daughter had a lemon tree espalier on their rooftop garden in California.  One year there were a whole bunch of big caterpillars on the tree.  She called me in a panic..............."Mom, they're eating all the leaves, they are killing my tree.' I reminded her that I was in Canada and suggested that she could take one of them to her favourite garden center and ask them what they are.  So, she did.  She lived in Huntington Beach, at Rogers' garden center they said that those caterpillars were going to turn into Swallow tailed Butterflies, and if she wanted to, she could pick them all off her small tree, bring them to the garden centre and put them on one of their trees, and they would have all the lovely butterflies in the garden center.

So, if you see one of them at that garden centre, think of Cindy!

Loved this story, Lore! I shall indeed think of Cindy the next time I see a butterfly in my yard. You hate to see the damage that caterpillars do to a lot of plants but it's the price you pay if you want those beautiful butterflies!

182Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We've been getting groceries delivered from Walmart and last week, I got four of the prettiest poblano peppers. I knew they were coming, of course, but sometimes they're out of what you ordered or sometimes the "picker" of the produce hasn't done a super job.

Anyway, I decided to stuff them because I had a pound of chorizo (I got the chorizo from a farmer's market vendor who makes it from pigs he raises) and found a good recipe I followed for the most part. Absolutely delicious -- mildly spicy from the chorizo but did add some Louisiana Hot Sauce (it's not that hot) to the mix, too. We both really liked it. Chemo is affecting Brian's mouth so I was worried it would be too spicy even though it was milder than I'd usually make but he loved it too. I made a box with some four cheese rotini pasta put out by Rice-a-Roni and it was pretty good once you cut back on some of the liquid and seasoned it; and it was easy and I'm having to cave in to easy lately. We also had a Creole tomato salad with an oregano vinaigrette with a bit of Dijon mustard. Delicious and forgot about taking a picture until right now.

Southwest Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Makes 8 servings. Recipe from lecremedelacrumb.com

4 poblano peppers, halved and seeds/membranes removed
1 lb. lean ground beef OR chorizo
1 teaspoon each ground cumin, chili powder, and granulated garlic
1 cup cooked long grain white rice
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
1/2 cup frozen or canned corn, drained
15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
4-oz. can diced green chilés
1 cup grated mozzarella OR Mexican-blend cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a large baking sheet. Arrange halved poblano peppers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that they aren't overlapping. Bake for 10-15 minutes while you move on to the next step.
2. Add ground beef (or chorizo) and rice to a large skillet, and season with the cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Sauté over medium heat for 5 8 minutes until meat is browned and cooked through.
3. Stir in the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and green chilés. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon mixture into the peppers, sprinkle with cheese, and return to oven for another 10 minutes or so until peppers are tender and cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

This stuffing with the cheese plus some additional cheese mixed into it would be good rolled up in some corn tortillas. You could put them in a small casserole dish and top with some chunky spicy salsa (I like the Pace Hot or Medium) and bake in the oven. Its southwest flavor would be perfect with salsa, too. Sliced avocados on the side fill out the bill.

183Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to see if my set up works for my pics......forgive me for experimenting and subjecting you all to my pic repeats......

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_12_12

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_05_10

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_05_11

184Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well this is strange.....I can't get my files to show 'previews' so I'll have to remember to label my pics correctly.

and the 'Host an image' process has moved the commands around from what it was.....but I figured it out.

So I guess you'll be subjected to my continued sharing of boring meals!

Last night I was tired out from the stress of the day so I called in an order for a personal pizza ~ ate half last night and finished it tonight. The restaurant I ordered from does a really tasty thin crust pizza ~ they only use mozzarella so I don't have to ask them to hold the asiago or something else. Tonight I just heated up a cast iron skillet and let the pizza slowly heat up. The crust got nice and crispy, just like when it was fresh.

This morning I had gone to Fresh Market to get some ground chuck to make a pot of sloppy joes for Jeanie's family. Everyone arrived in time to say 'goodbye' to Kermit. She's got a house full and I knew she'd be exhausted. I just figured sloppy joes would be easy to reheat and have as a meal or as people decided they wanted a little something. I picked up a couple packages of the brioche slider buns and some chips and took some cupcakes, too.

Jeanie is holding up really well, I'm sure after she gets back from taking Kermit's ashes to Minnesota for a service she'll finally have time to fall apart. But for now she's a typical "Steel Magnolia". Poor thing.

185Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I followed through with Philly Cheese Steaks.

I sauteed peppers and onions till caramelized....Steak-ums fried and towled to absorb the grease.
I had two of these beauties.... The YooHoo chocolate drink put another star on the forehead of the chef.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Img_1511

Looks delicious, Jimmy! What kind of cheese is that you used?

Kraft ....singles processed cheese!

186Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had fried cabbage chopped, with cavatappi macaroni ....

I love cavatappi in pasta salad, Jimmy.

Tell Tina she's in my prayers. Hope she's back to normal soon. Glad to hear you're doing okay! Is your DD living with you guys now? Or is she just being a darling by dropping by all the time to help out?!

Tina said thank you! She is on the mend slowly.
DD and her BF live here with us until they do remodels and repairs on their own home. All their furniture and stuff, is on the farm across the street in trailers. Thank God because I have no room here to store it. Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 2876911673

187Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cod fish and yellow rice. Asparagus from the can. Soft and mushy, and tastes like a tin can. Tina likes it that way.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Img_1512

188Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I threw together a small chef salad ~ for me that's any salad that includes some protein....

A lot of days I have a late morning / early afternoon serving of Greek yogurt, fruit and granola. But today the salad was calling to me.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_26_16

189Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina had me take out ground beef for Shepherds Pie.
Next door neighbor is here painting the living room. AC is on, and no paint smell.
GREAT!.... It don't bother me none!
Only hit 82º out today, and the humidity is lower than yesterday!.....

190Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

82°... sounds like a dream! Yesterday was a killer ~ today's not as bad, but 95° is still hot by anyone's standards!

I decided to treat myself to some fresh shrimp they said 'just arrived' at the store. That must mean it was harvested in the last week or so ~ LOL. But it was wild caught Mayport (Jacksonville, FL Atlantic) shrimp and it was good sized and pretty tasty. It's not bad having to clean 8 shrimps for just one person. I was going to cook it on the gas grill just to keep the heat out of the house so I put it on a piece of foil with some butter. Then I grated on some lemon zest and sprinkled with s&p. I have to say, it was pretty tasty.

I picked up a couple ears of local Florida corn, too. It was fresh looking (husks green and silks not dried out). It got cooked on the grill, too, and then shucked (the silks come off with the husks when the corn is cooked) and then I put it back on the grill to get some brown on it. It's been ages since I've had corn ON the cob. Dane prefers to have it cut off.

I drizzled the asparagus with a bit of olive oil, just enough to get some s&p to stick and it, too, went on to the grill grates. It got 'tender crisp', just the way I like it.

And if you look at my pic closely you see I really splurged and got myself a fresh bakery roll, which got heated and toasted on the grill grates as well.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_26_17

191Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is one thing we rarely see out here - yellow corn. I think it tastes better than white.

192Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="UNCLE JIMMY"][quote="Crybaby"]
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
[size=18]Tina said thank you! She is on the mend slowly.
DD and her BF live here with us until they do remodels and repairs on their own home. All their furniture and stuff, is on the farm across the street in trailers. Thank God because I have no room here to store it.  Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 2876911673

I hear that! We don't have enough space for our own stuff!

She sure does pitch in and help, doesn't she? Send her over here, will you? Wink

193Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Tina said thank you! She is on the mend slowly.
DD and her BF live here with us until they do remodels and repairs on their own home. All their furniture and stuff, is on the farm across the street in trailers. Thank God because I have no room here to store it.  Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 2876911673

I hear that! We don't have enough space for our own stuff!

She sure does pitch in and help, doesn't she? Send her over here, will you? Wink

I'll tell her. She does so much to help. She's a good cook and great baker.

194Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Slop for supper, an I hailpt.    Tina wanted her shepherds Pie.
I did all the opening and cutting for her.
She used canned peas and carrots, instead of corn.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Img_1513

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Img_1514

195Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe was able to eat a burger last night, so it means he is feeling better. Last night I took a bath with some Epsom salts. This morning I woke up with my belly button itching. I scratched and found, much to my dismay, that when I poured the salts into the bath water, I also poured the salts into my belly button and they did not dissolve. Had to get back into the tub and soak them out. LOL.
I don't know what is for dinner tonight.
I rearranged my closet this morning. I tried to be as quiet as possible for Katie, but I am sure I woke her up. I am best in the morning for work and I didn't want to wait until 3pm, when she gets up, to start work. She will be mad, but I don't care. I can't mold my life around her hours in bed. That may sound selfish and inconsiderate, but, I don't care.

196Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just lunched on a tomato and bacon on wheat toast with bacon and a slice of Land O Lakes white American; lathered with mayonnaise.

Have no clue for supper. I could go for chili over spaghetti. Or sloppy Joe's.
It's 2:30 PM and 84º Outside. 72º inside. Nice!

197Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took the opportunity of Dane being gone to 'experiment' with some fried chicken I've been pondering making. The flavor was good but the breading dropped off to be eaten separtely ~ not what I had in mind. I marinated the chicken wings in a concoction of soy, pepper paste, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, grated ginger and some other stuff I can't recall. Then I did a coating of rice flour, cornstarch, a little 'Wondra' flour and fried in 365° peanut oil. The coating got super crispy but didn't stay attached when I touched it ~ but it was still pretty tasty all by itself. LOL

I microwaved another ear of Florida corn and reheated the leftover asparagus from last night.

So, the chicken wings aren't burned.....it's the soy marinate that makes them look like dried mud pie.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 06_27_10

198Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Niagara Visitor

Don't know if anyone here is familiar with what has swept Canada as a "new" food................... POUTINE! Invented in Drummondville, a small town basically between Montreal and Quebec City. Well, I tried it today. French fries with gravy and then cheese curds on top. It was disgusting, soggy fries, gravy that tasted like it came right out of a package of onion soup mix. Yukky, Yukky. Cheese curds were OK, but I will surely never order it again. What a waste of perfectly good fries.

199Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Poutine isn't a 'new' food ~ but the food people on TV want to 're-invent' stuff like that.

It's not anything I'd eat (cheese curds is your first clue for me not eating it.....) but french fries smothered with gravy is something the lunch places around me served years ago, usually with a hot roast beef sandwich or hot turkey sandwich.

I remember a 'large size' lady I worked with would go to lunch with a group of us from the office and that's what she always ordered. Then one time she got really angry because the waitress forgot to bring her artificial sweetner for her tea. She didn't want to use real sugar because of the calories....

LOL

200Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Glad Joe is feeling better Debbie.

Today was a snap as far as supper went. Tina wished for breaded and fried shrimp, and steamed dumplings. So from the freezer to the toaster oven and steamer....we enjoyed a meal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum