Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello June! What's cooking today?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

151Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane made the trip (that he now refers to the 'TRIP FROM HELL') in a little over 13 hours. I think the worst part was when the Garmin gave him screwy instructions as he got close to her house. There is ALWAYS massive highway construction going on in the Indy area so it doesn't surprise me that there was a bit of confusion. But I'm not going to mention that. At least on the way home he'll be going straight down I-75 from northern Ohio so it's a straight shot to here.

I didn't want much to eat last night and thought something light might be good......but then when I was looking in the pantry for inspiration I saw the box of little elbow macaroni and I was struck!

When Dane was in Viet Nam I was living in a small apartment. Money was tight. I was working full time but heaven knows I didn't make much. The stipend he sent from his pay was around $75 a month, I think, maybe less. Sure wish I'd kept records of that sort of thing....my memory is so bad.

I use to help Mom can tomato juice every year so I always had jars of juice available. Just not so much meat. So, when money was tight I'd cook some macaroni in some tomato juice and that was my meal. Kind of a 'slim' goulash ~ REALLY thin! LOL

So, that's what I had last night. And it was really good. Well, it was OK.

I don't think I'll be eating it anytime again soon but I was a meal that brought back some memories.

152Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It never ends, does it? Poor Tina.

153Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Never ends..... true!...

Beth, glad Dane is safe; at his new work place. hahahahaha...

154Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Never ends..... true!...

Beth, glad Dane is safe; at his new work place. hahahahaha...

She has a long list of "Hey-Dad-will-you-look-at/fix-this?" This is the first year he didn't have to do regular maintenance at our Ohio house so she felt it was now her opportunity to get some low-cost Dad fixes. Son-in-law, Jim, works out of town 90% of the time and isn't exactly a handy type person ~ don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, just not really good at repairing stuff around the house. Dane has probably fixed anything that can break in a home, mostly because he and I are such cheapies when it comes to paying for repairs.

155Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was so surprised to see how many husbands of my friends who can't do much around the house. Joe can build or fix anything. Give me something disassembled and I can put it together. I can do minor fix-its and paint like a pro. What I can't handle are electric tools because I don't have the strength to control them. A chain saw? Forget it! I would cut myself in half.

156Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I pulled a single serving casserole out of the freezer of the chicken enchiladas with the green sauce. I even picked up a tomato & avocado to chop to sprinkle over it with the verde crema.

But today was the neighborhood ladies' luncheon and we went to a new (to The Villages) restaurant, an Atlanta chain called "The Flying Biscuit Café". And even though I only had a scrambled egg (with bacon, onion & collard greens mixed in), a side of their 'Moon Dusted Home Fries' (actually deep fried chunks of potato with a sprinkle of s&p, garlic powder & rosemary ~ pretty tasty) and a lovely biscuit ~ with some spicy apple butter...….well, tonight I'm still full. Oh, it must have been the peach bellini I had, too.

Anyway, I left the chicken in the refrigerator until tomorrow. I'll probably have an apple before I hit the bed for the night.

It's nice not having to cook a meal *or eat a meal* when I'm really not hungry.

I'm sure Andrea is making sure there is something for her dad to eat.

So all is good with the world...….my world, anyway!

157Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are having two kinds of pizza: artichoke/spinach and asparagus/onion. This should be interesting.

158Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, tonight I heated up the little casserole dish of chicken enchiladas and made some of the sour cream/green salsa to spoon over. I also chopped a tomato and half an avocado and used the rest of the avocado & tomato for a smushed up 'guacamole' to have with some chips.

I hadn't had anything for lunch so I ended up having an early supper and now I'm stuffed.

159Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe has had stomach cramps since friday and doesn't want any dinner. I guess I will zap a container of Stouffer's mac & cheese for myself.

160Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dog, and hamburg. More like a Slap dog in a bun, and Throw burger in a bun.

Everyone's on edge over the Tina mommy getting the nerve blocker in her neck / arm.

DD is making more rice pudding now. She is in her hornet mood, because she has to cook for Lenny to go to Philly to work on another Brownstone bldg.

161Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Joe has had stomach cramps since friday and doesn't want any dinner. I guess I will zap a container of Stouffer's mac & cheese for myself.

Hope Joe feels better Deb. Make him some burnt toast and tea.

162Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Made him the burnt toast. He decided to have ice cream for dinner.

163Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Niagara Visitor

Burnt toast?  On purpose?????

Bass season opened in our area on Saturday, so my fishermen sons were out on Lake Erie. Caught 20 of them, and gave me some to take home. So, I asked a neighbour (who sadly is moving) to come help me eat it today. She had an acorn squash in her fridge so that's on the menu also. She is packing because her condo closes in 10 days. I will miss her.

164Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crappy day here.

Well, not completely. This morning the guy from the Geek Squad came and finished the set up on my new computer. He made it look so simple. Well, I guess that's incorrect. He did it and it was simple for him.

Now I just need to get busy and get my files organized so I can find stuff. My old computer had everything all helter-skelter and filed wherever it happened to land.

And after the Geek Guy left I got a call from my neighbor, Jeanie ~ she's the one who organizes the weekly ladies' luncheons with me.

Her husband, Kermit, has advanced Parkinson's and Parkinson related dementia. Early this morning he had a massive brain bleed and she called '911' to take him to the hospital. He's on support at the hospital until his 3 daughters and the family can arrive to say 'goodbye'. I was at the hospital with her when the neurologist came in to talk with her and do a short exam. She (the neurologist) said there's nothing more to be done. She was very kind and answered any questions Jeanie had.

It's sad but yet it's nice for Kermit that he's no longer in any distress from the Parkinson's. He actually looked very relaxed and it's the first time in years that he didn't have the constant tremors. Jeanie is very sad, of course, but she's relieved for his pain to be over.

Now if she can just make it through the next few weeks to get everything taken care of to get him back to his home in Minnesota for a Celebration of Life.

165Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sorry to hear about your neighbor Beth!

Tonight, we had corn on the cob. period.
Florida Corn. Tina had her nerve block in the neck this morning.... All went OK; just waiting for the anesthesia to wear out.

166Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Is Florida corn any good? Out here, all of the corn comes from someplace else and it is pretty bad this year. Joe's gut is still sore so no cooking for me tonight.

167Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Is Florida corn any good? Out here, all of the corn comes from someplace else and it is pretty bad this year. Joe's gut is still sore so no cooking for me tonight.
What we had tonight was dry and chewy, but it did have that corn taste, without sweet. Corn in NJ is a bit retarded due to the cool and rainy weather. South Jersey will start in a few weeks or so.

168Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I can't seem to post an image from Photobucket. Any tips?

169Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Pbucket

My niece in Washington.

170Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sorry, I can't get a photo on and I can't delete my post.

171Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had fried cabbage chopped, with cavatappi macaroni ....

I love cavatappi in pasta salad, Jimmy.

Tell Tina she's in my prayers. Hope she's back to normal soon. Glad to hear you're doing okay! Is your DD living with you guys now? Or is she just being a darling by dropping by all the time to help out?!

172Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Trauma can set lots of things up.  Poor Ms. Tina.

I know this is a cooking place........................ BUT, How about those Raptors last night???? I know, the world thinks Basketball= USA............................... however, remember, Basketball was invented by a Canadian!  Sooooo proud of our team.  

Laughed when I read this, Lore! Both Brian and I were rooting for the Raptors and we loved seeing the excitement of everyone when you Canucks won! Now you've got to do it again! Basketball

173Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Img_6810

Liam at his day care with Poppia ( Grandpa Jimmy ) and the tie he made for him.

Adorable!

174Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Big_bo10

Here is a latest pic. Looks like he's modeling for babies are us.

Check out the hands in the pockets...hahahahahaha

He DOES look like he's modeling that outfit! He also looks like he knows he looks good, too. Look at the size of those shoes already!

175Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cindy, I'm so glad you sound like you're feeling better about your new home. Dare I say you even sound HAPPY!!!!!

It's wonderful to hear you sound so good, too. That Geoffrey must be responsible, as he sounds like he's a great cat and a great companion too!

His coloring is gorgeous! Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 7 940422454

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum