Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello June! What's cooking today?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

101Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Trauma can set lots of things up.  Poor Ms. Tina.

I know this is a cooking place........................ BUT, How about those Raptors last night???? I know, the world thinks Basketball= USA............................... however, remember, Basketball was invented by a Canadian!  Sooooo proud of our team.  

Yep! James Naismith from Canada, was the inventor. It actually was a ball and a peach basket.

102Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... I know what Fathers Day dinner will be.
DIL picked up 16 of these beauties friday afternoon.
Tina said they will make baked potatoes. I'm trying to think, Baked Potatoes with steaks?? What else would go with steak? Mac Salad? Hmmm!

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Img_1444

103Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, Norm......Happy Father's Day!!!!

So happy we get to honor you both on this day!

104Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, Norm......Happy Father's Day!!!!

So happy we get to honor you both on this day!

* Thank you Beth! *

105Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Well.... I know what Fathers Day dinner will be.
DIL picked up 16 of these beauties friday afternoon.
Tina said they will make baked potatoes. I'm trying to think, Baked Potatoes with steaks?? What else would go with steak? Mac Salad? Hmmm!

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Img_1444

Cheesy Baked Asparagus

1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends trimmed
3 T. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. my house seasoning (equal parts garlic powder, onion powder and pepper...combine and store in an airtight container)
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning

Line a baking sheet with some tinfoil. Place the asparagus on the baking sheet and drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle the house seasoning and Parmesan cheese over the top. Place in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove and top with the mozzarella cheese and a little sprinkling of Italian seasoning over the top. Return to the oven for an additional 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese and let it begin to brown.

A Wedge Salad

Loaded baked potatoes

Rice Pilaf (Rice a Roni makes a good one)

Creamed spinach

These are things that show up on the plate at steak houses around here.

106Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:34 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Beth.  Charlie asked for ribs again this weekend, possibly because the ones last week went so quickly due to company. It was pretty much a repeat of last weekend without the pulled pork. I did two slabs of ribs, Jetfan's milk bread and a fruit salad.

I can't get the pictures to send but you can see them by clicking on the blogspot site a the bottom of the post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

107Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Niagara Visitor

Going ot for brunch in the morning............... My b-day was June 11, youngest son June 13, so what we have done many times is to combine the two birthdays and fathers' day in one get-together. Their father, my hubby isn't with us any more, but we'll have him there in our memories.

108Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It was overcast this morning and the air was heavy. A hot air balloon landed smack in the middle of the street at 7am. No one was hurt, thank goodness.

I made Joe some Philly cheesesteaks for dinner. Sur made the kitchen smell good.

109Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to Don Shula's Steakhouse in Disney Resorts.....Lyn & Bill treated us for picking them up at the airport when they flew in at 4:30 a.m. on their way back during Bill's medical emergency from their Panama Canal Cruise. They are so generous with us.

3 of us had the 'Cowboy Ribeye' ~ I think it's called 'cowboy' because it's a bone-in ribeye steak, 22 oz. and melt in your mouth tender. Lyn & I got the Buerre Blanc Sauce to go with our steaks....delicious. We all split the sides of potatoes augratin, creamed spinach and seared green beans. Oh, and we had salads to start, Lyn a wedge w/blue cheese, Dane a kale salad and I got a roasted red beet with mixed greens. Bill had the French onion soup, his favorite.

And of course there was way too much food. Dane and I have enough steak leftover for two meals, and you know I NEVER bring food home. But this was just so good we couldn't leave it.

Thank heavens no one wanted dessert. If we had even thought about another bite I'm sure we would have exploded right there at the table. They have 3 offerings for dessert: an apple tart, a flourless chocolate cake and a molten chocolate cake. They suggest you order at the time you order your meal because everything is baked to order and that way you would get a freshly baked treat. But we've all been there before so it wasn't an option for any of us. Sometime I think I'll just order a small salad and the dessert just to see what it tastes like.

The service is impeccable and nothing is missed. Every table has two waiters to see to your every need. They check on you but aren't overbearing in the least. It really is one of those old time spots where everyone does their job to perfection.

110Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Going ot for brunch in the morning............... My b-day was June 11, youngest son June 13, so what we have done many times is to combine the two birthdays and fathers' day in one get-together.  Their father, my hubby isn't with us any more, but we'll have him there in our memories.  

Happy Birthday Lore, and to your wonderful Son! God bless you both! Have a nice day....  flower

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

111Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It was overcast this morning and the air was heavy. A hot air balloon landed smack in the middle of the street at 7am. No one was hurt, thank goodness.

I made Joe some Philly cheesesteaks for dinner. Sur made the kitchen smell good.

No wonder why the balloon landed on your street. They came for  some Philly cheesesteaks. hahahahahahaha Very Happy

112Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy fathers day to Norm / Jetfan / And all fathers out there!

113Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, it surely was a nice gesture that Bill and Lyn did. I'm sure the appreciate you both helping them out! .....How is Bill lately? Did they get him ( his infection ) under control?

114Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had meatball parm subs ( lunch ), from WaWa convenience store by us. Also, an Italian sub for supper.  Two glazed apple crisp fritters, and an cinnamon swirl bun.
Oh yeah!......... Carbs way off the charts! hahahahahahahaha

115Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:48 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Those cowboy steaks are mighty fine!

116Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Niagara Visitor

Happy Fathers' Day to all the fathers here! I had a great brunch with my sons and daughters-in-law. Now going to see my sister for coffee.

117Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:08 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie is taking me out to eat for dinner. I have not decided where I want to go yet.

118Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hope everyone has a great day to celebrate.

I let Dane pick what he wanted for supper.  He was talking with Andrea and she said Jim had not decided between wings or steak so she wasn't sure what they would have.  Well, that's all it took.  Dane decided right then and there he wanted wings!  No big surprise, especially since we had that beautiful ribeye dinner last night.

He did say, however, that we could go out if I didn't want to cook them.  It didn't look like it was going to rain when I decided to go to the store to buy some wings ~ but, being Florida, it decided to pour down for about 15 minutes at 4:00.  But it was just a 'shower'...…

I considered just taking him up on his offer to let someone else cook but when I think of spending $12+ for each of us to order wings in our preferred sauce, add in the cost of a beverage and probably a side of something to share.....well, cooking is usually my choice.  I ended up getting a couple 'scratch 'n dent' packages (the ones that are marked down for quick sale).  They were still fresh, just close to their sell-by date.  And since I was going to cook them tonight, $8 for a dozen full wings was a win-win situation for me.

So I cooked the wings on the gas grill, better able to adjust the heat.  His got a coating of 'burn-your-tongue-outta-your-mouth' hot sauce and I just did a light brush with sweet chili sauce on mine.  I cut the corn off a couple ears and made a Sweet Kale Salad and supper was done.

So, we're both full and he's a happy camper because he got his wings supper and didn't have to leave the house!

119Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:51 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

This is late in the day; but, Happy Fathers Day, to all our Dads...

120Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

First thing....I cracked open the bottle of wine to get the party meal started. Oh Boy! ..... what an up-lift.
We had the steaks and they were so tender. I cooked 8 big ones, and there was one left over. Maria made three different macaroni salads with different pasta shapes. It was good.
She made rice crispy treats, and a bundt cake with powdered sugar.
So...... it's all done till the next one. 4th of July. 3 weeks.

BTW.....I got candy, amazon gift cards ( $175.00 ) .... and "The German Butcher shop" jalepeno pepper hot dogs.

121Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:This is late in the day; but, Happy Fathers Day, to all our Dads...

Thank you Cindy. Had a great day, and meal.
Hope you are feeling better.

122Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 am

NormM

NormM

Thank you Cindy.  We went to our favorite Korean restartuant and had Kalbi short ribs and spicy pork.  They keep coming up with new side dishes.  One of them was corn with mozzarella cheese. Another was Japanese radish sliced really thin and lightly pickled.

123Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

No fathers here but Joe celebrated anyway with too many gin & tonics.

124Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thinking of trying to slowly reheat the leftover steak ~ it was cooked to a perfect medium rare so I'm hoping I can keep it with good color. I'm going to try wrapping it in plastic wrap and then heavy duty foil and put the oven as low as it'll go. When it's time to eat I'll temp with my Thermapen and put a sear on with a hot cast iron skillet.

Keep your fingers crossed that you don't hear me swearing like a sailor if it all goes bad...….

125Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 5 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, don't you just love it when a plan (in your head) comes together?

My plan on re-heating our Cowboy Ribeye Steaks came off just as I had hoped. I took them out of the refrigerator about 2:00 (we eat at 5:00) and wrapped each snuggly in plastic wrap. Then I placed them in a foil lined pan and secured that with a piece of foil over the top. My new range can be turned on to as low as 170°. I put the pan in the oven at 4:00 and let it warm slowly so the steak would warm through without really cooking. When it was time for supper I pre-heated a cast iron skillet to medium high, added just a tiny bit of butter to be sure the steak didn't stick, and let the meat get a bit of 'crust' to dry out the outside.

When I cut the meat it was still pink and really didn't have much of a 'left-over' flavor.

And as long as I was experimenting with my meal, I decided to try to do a riff on scalloped potatoes ~ on the stovetop. I diced up a couple potatoes and half an onion and put it on to simmer with just a small amount of chicken stock. I kept stirring them so all the small cubes would get cooked at the same rate. When they were tender I turned up the heat a bit to evaporate the stock and then added about 1 Tbsp. of heavy cream. It was just enough to make you think the potatoes were cooked in it. I will surely be doing those again instead of oven baked scalloped potatoes. Even though they took a bit of 'tending' the end result was just enough servings for the two of us and, because of the onion and cream, it definitely had the taste of scalloped potatoes. I'm thinking next time I might put them into a small gratin dish and sprinkle with some buttered panko crumbs and then brown just a bit in the toaster oven. For those who so choose, feel free to do the same thing and add all the grated cheese of any variety you desire!

I finished off the meal with some butter glazed carrots ~ something I really like because of the bright color it adds to my plated meal. I considered adding some peas at the last moment but decided they looked pretty tasty just as they were.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum