Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello June! What's cooking today?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

26Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tommy, our next door neighbor, brought some Georgia peaches. I have a pie in the oven. I'll keep 2 pieces and give the rest to him and Joann.

Tommy didn't think they had very good texture so he didn't want them but I think they'll be fine baked in a pie.

27Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled one of my marinated London broil steaks out of the freezer last night and just let it thaw in the refrigerator. We were warned of thunderstorms in the late afternoon and evening so I was keeping my fingers crossed. The clouds have moved in but haven't opened up. I didn't want to have to cook the steak in a cast iron pan and finish it in the oven ~ it's so much better cooked over charcoal.

Right now I've got the peach pie in the refrigerator hoping it gets cool enough to cut soon. All I want to do is get two pieces out and then take it next door, I just don't want it to run all over because it's too warm.

So supper was the marinated steak, sliced thin. I'm getting pretty good at judging how long to cook it so it's still medium rare and tender. We split another sweet potato (HIS request) and I cooked some asparagus on the grill after I took off the steak. Seasoned it with some olive oil and s&p and grilled on a piece of foil so I didn't have to worry about it falling through the grate. It got some color but was still tender crisp...just a bit of bite and really quite flavorful.

I sliced the last two Kamato tomatoes, not exactly a salad but a nice addition all the same.

Hopefully I'll have the rest of the files set up soon and then I'll go back to adding the pics ~ but this is one you've seen before so close your eyes and pretend it's inserted here.

28Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Niagara Visitor

Do you have fresh peaches now?

29Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, the Georgia peach crop is starting now and will run through July or August. Tommy is from Georgia so whenever his family visits they bring him peaches......and he brings them to me and I make him peach pies and cobblers

30Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

I didn't think they would be that early. It sounds wonderfully delicious.

31Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm making bill payments... grrrrrrr!
Had a tough/ tear the meat with the teeth like a hyena tearing up sinew of Corned Beef sandwich that T and DD got from the kosher deli of a supermarket.

I won't eat it again.

32Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a couple pork steaks out of the freezer this morning. Dane would prefer I only buy boneless pork 'chops' ~ but the pork loin is just too dry and tasteless to me. So when I want pork I get the fat included and then I like the flavor. I know, I know.....not healthy. But I'm about to start my 70th year (when I turn 69 in July) and I want to eat what I want. I seasoned the meat and sprinkled with some flour for just a dusting to sear them. Then when they were nicely browned I added some chicken stock and just let them simmer away for about 45 minutes until the stock had evaporated and they were nice and soft. The fat layers in the meat turns to a buttery consistency and that's where the flavor is for me. And for all the complaining he use to give me about it, he eats his and then a bit of mine, too. (I prefer just a small bit of meat so after I take my pic of my plate I cut some off and put it back on the serving plate knowing he'll finish it for me.)

I microwaved a couple fresh ears of corn to firm up the 'milk' and let the silks release and then cut the corn off and heated it with a bit of butter and my 'Dixie Dust' seasoning I buy at a local restaurant. I warmed up some of the leftover collard greens ~ they're good fresh or leftover! I thought there was going to be way too much when I made them but I think Dane had some for a lunch and now with tonight's servings we have a small serving left for another lunch side.

And, as usual, I microwaved a sweet potato and then finished it off in the toaster oven to give it the dry skin we both like to eat.

And that was supper! Hopefully I'll be posting pics again soon......still don't have any of my files downloaded.

Oh, Tommy & Joann gave me the last of their peaches, the ones they didn't care for. I made 3 little foil pans of what I'm calling a cobbler. It's really mostly a peach pie filling with little bits of pie crust on the top. I'm thinking it will be pretty darn tasty in a bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I'll keep one for us and freeze the other two for them to stash in their freezer. They only have their refrigerator freezer so, since I have more room in my garage refrigerator/freezer, I'll get them ready to easily store at their house without taking a chance of it spilling because it's pretty full.

33Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made stuffed peppers. All mostly to satisfy Tina. A lot of rice, and used ground veal. She can digest veal with no problems.
I ate, but I won't eat it again. ( Leftovers )

34Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How's her shoulder doing? Does she have PT 3 times a week?

35Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried the recipe Jet Fan posted and it was good.  I chose a recipe for chicken wrapped in foil to go with it.Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 20190612

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

36Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love the meals packed in foil! I especially like that I usually cook them on the grill and cleanup is like.....DONE!

37Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:How's her shoulder doing? Does she have PT 3 times a week?

No PT yet. She goes on the 11th to see the schedule for the therapy.
She is doing too much I say, and so do others....

38Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.....Dane spent the day at his sister's and took her out for a late lunch.  He sent me a text, "Just finished lunch ~ don't bother cooking supper".

I sent back, "I hadn't planned on cooking tonight.....hope your sister had a good lunch".

Enough said. Of course, I already knew he had gone to lunch because we have an app on our phones where I can see where he is. Got it after he had the car accident last year.

So, I had a half a bag of microwave popcorn....that was all I really wanted.

39Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

In a Blah Mood. Don't feel like cooking. Tina opened a can of overfilled chef boyardee ravioli, and I tried two. I still cannot get the taste of the can out of my mouth.I will look for something to eat in a little bit.

40Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So now what? ... I jump from the fire; into the frying pan.
Tina wished for mac and cheese. So, I made it with a box of Kraft and that cheese powder stuff. It was ok by hungry standards.

BTW.... Haven't heard from Imelda lately???? Her thought to me came up when we were doing the rice cooking thing a couple posts ago.

41Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda hasn't visited since the first of March. I don't know if she is with her mother and family. I know she was planning to visit but usually doesn't stay this long.

Michelle usually stops by once in a while and she's missing as well.

Stephen (Jetfan) stopped by to leave a recipe for a bread he made but I missed him......didn't see his post for a few days.

42Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Went freezer hunting.... came up with two nice pork steaks, and a London 1/2 broil. I will marinate the broil and grill it, and have the pork steaks for Tina braised nice a slow with onions and potato wedges.

43Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Went freezer hunting.... came up with two nice pork steaks, and a London 1/2 broil. I will marinate the broil and grill it, and have the pork steaks for Tina braised nice a slow with onions and potato wedges.

And then you'll both be happy campers! Our pork steak was braised for at least 45 minutes, nice and low, and came out meltingly tender. Just the way I like it!

I pulled 3 boneless/skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer this morning. When I buy chicken I wrap it all singularly and then freeze on a sheet pan. When frozen I bag them and put a sticker on the bag to say what's in it. That way I can take out as much or as little as I want......like, sometimes I just want one to cut up small for something like chicken fried rice. I don't have to pull a whole package and try to decide what to do with the rest of it.

After the thighs were thawed I trimmed them of the excess fat chunks and cut them into smaller pieces. I made a marinade of orange marmalade, brown sugar, dry mustard, dry ginger, alepo pepper and about 1/2 c. of beer. I asked Dane if he wanted the rest of the bottle of beer and he (joked) he supposed he could drink it, "Just so it doesn't go to waste..." LOL

I'll thread the marinated chicken on bamboo skewers, with a piece of onion between and then grill on the gas grill. I've got green & yellow zucchini I'll cut into rounds and thread on skewers with onion as well. I'll probably just brush them with olive oil & s&p. And that will be supper.

When I do skewers of vegetables I always use a metal skewer to do 'starter holes' in the vegetables so they don't split as I try to push them on the bamboo ones. Sometimes the bamboo is a bit rough and gets caught so I have better luck if they're already 'stuck'....works especially well with something like mushrooms that break apart really easily. If I wasn't such a cheap-y I would go out and buy me a few more metal skewers ~ the nice flat ones ~ but I just don't want something else cluttering up my cabinets & drawers, especially since I use them so seldom.

44Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Your skewers trick sounds good Beth. I usually twist / turn the skewers as I push through the whatever.

They sell a hinged flat screened grate that one could lay the food and clamp it closed to grill it.

45Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Our dinner tonight was smothered pork chops. I also tried Debbies carrot fries. They were good, and a coleslaw made with Ranch dressing instead of mayonnaise.

Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 20190610

That picture literally made my mouth water, Norm!

I, too, thought of you this week with the proliferation of tornadoes. Glad you had no damage but 25 miles away is close enough to certainly give one pause.

Though New Orleans was in the area for severe storms originating over Texas, I was most nervous about the quarter-size hail mentioned as expected. Luckily, we just got lots of intermittent very heavy rain at our house. Back in 2000 when N.O. experienced a very rare hail storm, it totaled both of our cars and did $35,000 in damage to our house, which we'd just had painted, of course.

46Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Pig roast is done............... it was sooooo good!  The weather was lousy, we've had so much rain and cold weather so instead of having it outdoors we used our party room.  It was less work and less stressful than outside on the grass.  But, we have people with mobility issues, so staying inside was good.  

"When is the next one?" someone asked.  

Nothing is better than a roast pig! Glad it was another success under your belt, Lore -- your building won the Irish sweepstakes when you moved in!

Laughed, as I, too, wondered about leftover potato salad. Love, love, love potato salad but Brian is not a potato fan so I rarely make it anymore as I know I'd eat the whole batch...

47Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

and suddenly she APPEARS!

Glad you stopped in to say hello, Michelle!

48Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Unknow10It is this part of the steak trimmed off about two inches thick, rolled and tied like in the picture of our steak. I browned it in the pan and finished it to 135 degrees in a 350 degree oven.

Thanks, Norm, for the handy description with a photo no less!!! I've never seen them offered for sale either. But I know one thing -- both Brian and I adore that part of a ribeye!

He bought two huge steaks at the Gourmet Butcher Block about a week ago. We froze one (they were each 1-3/4 inch thick so almost 1.5 lbs each) and I cooked the other in the cast iron pan and then finished it in the oven. Brian has been eating so little lately that I was tickled pink to see he finished almost all of it (I sliced it up and we shared it). It really hit the spot since we were both in the mood for a big steak and love the seasoning (their own special rub) GBB offers if you're up for it. Love them that thick so I can heavily char the steak on both sides and still enjoy the meat perfectly medium rare.

We just had a salad with our steaks -- baby mixed greens, dried cranberries, roasted chopped walnuts, crumbled feta cheese and a light raspberry dressing.

Brian took the other steak out of the freezer this morning as he wants steak again tomorrow. Glad he's eating since he's getting light chemo treatments so it's important he not lose weight (he's thin enough already). He gained 4 lbs. when weighed this past Tuesday so we were both tickled! His hair is starting to fall out, too, which he's not thrilled about but hopefully, it will grow back -- I keep telling him maybe it'll come back thicker but he's just hoping ALL that he had left comes back!

49Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Shepherds pie that Tina made. I helped her opening and lifting stuff.
Leftovers, she will have for herself for a couple days. Leave me out. I don't eat dog food a second time. DD won't eat it.

I had to laugh, Jimmy, as Shepherd's Pie was not something I grew up eating. I'd never seen it until they served it in the cafeteria in high school. I thought it looked just like the dog food we served our German Shepherd so I laughed at your comment.

50Hello June! What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello June! What's cooking today? Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I bought a new PC this afternoon. My old one was giving us fits.....and of course, I don't have everything transferred over yet.

Tell us what you got, and let us know if you're pleased with it down the line, okay?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum