Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm cooking beef feet today.. it's simmering on my stove now.. a few more hours.. I'm going to cook it Indonesian style, with yellow soup ( ground shallot, turmeric, garlic, candle nut and some other spices ) .. man.. I'm hungry right now  Laughing

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:delicious foods.. beautiful food pictures and interesting conversations..  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 3593629538 

I just came back from a small gathering with some friends at a friend's house.. I volunteered to the main course.. my friends brought some foods too.. I want to share the picture of the foods I cooked

here is yellow rice, usually for celebrating birthdays.. today we celebrated 4 birthdays in January

yellow rice, Indonesian spicy beef aka Rendang, spicy peanuts and potatoes ( I used frozen hash brown), spicy eggs.. originally it has more side dishes but I did not cook them all..

Goodness, Imelda - what a spread of amazing foods!

I'm curious about the spicy peanuts and potatoes.....please tell us more about that dish.  Also, are your spicy eggs hard boiled eggs dipped in your chili paste?  It all looks so interesting.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2453703928   January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2453703928  Beth

a bit information about spicy peanuts + potatoes

I used frozen hash brown.. thawed, then spread on a baking tray and baked them until they were half cooked, then I deep fried until they were cooked and crunchy.. set aside.. I separately deep fried peanuts.. set aside too.. for the chili sauce, I used my ready chili sauce.. I added some oil in a clean wok, added chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, I stirred them until the vinegar and juice have evaporated, lastly  I added fried peanuts and potatoes, mixed them well... for the crunchiness and freshness I store them in an air tight container.. they are so good.. either for side dish or snacking  Laughing 

for the eggs.. I hard boiled the eggs.. let them cool.. then I pan fried them ( only to brown them a bit)  in a pan.. carefully shook the pan to let them cook evenly.. set them aside.. then I cut them in halves

for the chili sauce... I used ground shallots, garlic, chili peppers, candle nuts, .. I cooked them in a bit of oil until they were fragrant and the water/liquid has evaporated, also added some lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves.. then I topped them on my eggs..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hope your friends truly appreciate all that work!

Of course, if you're like me, you don't mind the extra work because you only get to have those special treats (because of the amount of time it takes to make) for special occasions.  And there is no way you'll make a little bit of, say, the spicy peanuts & potatoes just for you....but the LEFTOVERS you hold back and do not offer (well hidden in your own kitchen cabinets) are a treat you get to enjoy in the quiet of the evening!

Those sound amazing.

Oh - another question.....when you buy candle nuts are they roasted, like a hazelnut is? I know I've looked up the description before, something about how they are used for flavor and also thickening....and to never eat them raw. Oh, my memory is fading fast!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I will say one thing. Those hot peanuts are great for snacking.
Tina picked them up at the Oriental market, and there was one lady in there that said, Mrs. Do you know the peanuts are really hot? Tina said I hope so, because my husband likes hot.
She said,"Tell him they are very hot; so be careful.

They were hot, but I found little red pepper seeds that were super hot when I crunched them.

My nose was dripping for 10 minutes after I ate them.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 188665_194976490522797_2815191_n

I should have grilled something.72` today.But I found some foil wrapped surprises lol turned out to be Ziti..That will do... January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 3470128989 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy ~ I've got Greek Chili Sauce cookin' right now. It's been on for 30 minutes and I just gave it a taste test (it's got a ways to go)....EXACTLY the taste I was goin' for! Thanks so much for the recipe.

When I first added all the spices...I mixed them all together and added them once the beef was browned and the onions softened, I didn't notice the notation about salt & pepper to taste. I had not added any salt. I took a taste when it was just coming to a simmer and thought....NEEDS SALT! Then, when I re-read your recipe I noticed it. About 1 - 1/2 tsp. brought it up to a good taste. I didn't want to add too much and ruin it when it has a chance to concentrate down.

I'll probably have to stay up until midnight lettin' it simmer down, or, I could cool it down and have it go at it again in the morning ~ not sure how, but I'll let it go low and slow until it's at the right place for spoonin' over some grilled hot dogs.

thanks again! good stuff.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

I should have grilled something.72` today.But I found some foil wrapped surprises lol turned out to be Ziti..That will do... January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 3470128989 

Ooooo, baked pasta! That's MY kind of lasagna!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is the spinach soup Tina made today.
Even had spinach ravioli to float in there too!

The grated cheese on top really set off the taste buds.

I had two of these bowls, and I'm stuffed.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2iq9 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Is that sausage in there?

Barbara101

Barbara101

soup looks great..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Is that sausage in there?

It's miniature meatballs. She browned them with the onions and oil, added the chicken stock and cooked that all for like 1.5 hr.
Then she added the baby spinach.
She didn't cut off the stems; because we like the stems.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:soup looks great..

Thanks Barb.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb does a MUCH better job of presentation....

Me, I just spooned this on the plate, plopped it on the table and hurried up because I couldn't wait to eat. Oink, oink!

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 012114

Barbara101

Barbara101

hey that looks 150 times better then some I have seen.  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 1838020472 January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2876911673 January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2876911673 

heck I have not even moved from the sofa since 2pm.Dinner ??  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 829809188 scratch

did you eat with those chopsticks? I can not get them to work lol. No 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

did you eat with those chopsticks? I can not get them to work lol. No 

Those chopsticks came straight from The Panda Express with a "to go" order one time....hahahaha, I couldn't even BREAK them apart correctly, let alone use them to get rice in my mouth. Well, maybe IF I put sticky rice in a bowl and used the chopsticks to push the food from the bowl into my mouth....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

delicious soup Jimmy  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 3593629538  and beautiful beef broccoli Beth ( my kind of meal Smile)  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 3593629538 

about the candle nut, we can either roast them or just use them raw.. then grind together with other ingredients.. not too many though, because they have a bit bitter taste

today I baked some salmon and mini butternut squash from our backyard.. they were so cute.. I'll post the pics later

bethk

bethk
Admin

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2453703928 Imelda.

I hope you have pics of yesterday's beef foot meal.  I think your cuisine is so interesting!

I've had beef broccoli on my mind since the last time Barb made it and put in her pics.  Good stuff to eat!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made the chicken.
I couldn't eat it.
Too wet. Well cooked, but she made a gravy from stock, and it made it too juicy for me.

Here it is, and I don't want to have it like that ever again.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 Tzb5

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 2453703928 Imelda.

I hope you have pics of yesterday's beef foot meal.  I think your cuisine is so interesting!

I've had beef broccoli on my mind since the last time Barb made it and put in her pics.  Good stuff to eat!

at your service  queen  Beth  Laughing 

here is the clear soup.. I added some potatoes and carrots, nutmeg and cloves

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 59-2

here is the one ( beside nutmeg and cloves ) added with ground shallots, garlic, candle nuts and turmeric.. it's Indonesian style soup.. I added some tomatoes and shredded cabbage

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 29-3

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

today dinner   Smile 

salmon fillet sprayed with cooking oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, topped with sliced onion, red bellpepper and lemons

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 33-1

"mini" butternut squash.. they did not grow well but they were ripe enough, they were only as big as my fists  Laughing 

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 DSCN0975

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 34-2

and look.. how cute they are..  Laughing 

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 32-2

bethk

bethk
Admin

I gotta say, Imelda, those butternut squash are TOO CUTE! They certainly look ripe and delicious ~ and it's my favorite squash....well, one of my favorites. I can't think of any I don't like. Dane likes the acorn better but I prefer the butternut flavor.

Everytime I see your beef foot soup I think of Tina's jellied pig's feet....lots of gooey stuff that is, to my way of thinking, an acquired taste. Although, come to think of it, the soft connective tissue of beef short ribs is very similar and I love that. I bet I'd like your soup as well. Nice!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made the chicken.
I couldn't eat it.
Too wet. Well cooked, but she made a gravy from stock, and it made it too juicy for me.

Here it is, and I don't want to have it like that ever again.

Oh, poor Jimmy! You should have put some of that chicken in the toaster oven and let it dry out. It sure does look good to me.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 1619534_601531259926615_571224897_n

did not feel like cutting up a chicken..Lazy me. oven roasted with lemon pepper.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, but Barb, we've discussed this too many times already....nothing finer than a perfectly roasted chicken. Absolutely beautiful!

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 4137497845 

I pulled a piece of pork steak, seasoned just with s&p, and grilled to crisp up the fat...oh, but I do love the pork fat! (shame on ME....) I had chive potatoes, green peas & pickled red beets along side.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 012214

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 10 422207_350817411664669_609238447_n

squash casserole with gouda and gruyere cheese.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum