Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 15]

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 2876911673 you cut in half, then eat it from the side. Then you save one half for lunch the next day.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 2876911673 you cut in half, then eat it from the side. Then you save one half for lunch the next day.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 2760260870   January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 863604796  SAVE!.... There would be no saving with something that looks that good.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Amazingly good looking, Barb. Well done!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Stew...compliments of "Tinamommy"

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 Zgqj
January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 Gxg6
January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 Nudg

It was really good! I had two dishes, and ate all the celery.

NormM

NormM

I had some chicken in the freezer that was left over from making gumbo recently. I decided to make chicken pot pie by using us other stuff as well. I was half way through it when I discovered there was no milk or cream so I made a gravy with chicken broth and a jar of Alfredo sauce. I had a little left over broth and pie dough so I made noodle soup for lunch with those. I couldn't find the rolling pin to roll out the dough so I used an Olive oil bottle shaped like a wine bottle. I rolled out the dough and was surprised that it turned out round instead of looking like Texas. I buttered it and folded it over, buttered the half and folded it again and rolled it out again. Repeated the process in hopes of making the crust flaky. It was... sort of.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1159_zps1d151295

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1161_zps00381c5b

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1156_zps6cac06f1

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I had some chicken in the freezer that was left over from making gumbo recently.  I decided to make chicken pot pie by using us other stuff as well.  I was half way through it when I discovered there was no milk or cream so I made a gravy with chicken broth and a jar of Alfredo sauce.  I had a little left over broth and pie dough so I made noodle soup for lunch with those.  I couldn't find the rolling pin to roll out the dough so I used an Olive oil bottle shaped like a wine bottle. I rolled out the dough and was surprised that it turned out round instead of looking like Texas. I buttered it and folded it over, buttered the half and folded it again and rolled it out again.  Repeated the process in hopes of making the crust flaky.  It was... sort of.  

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1159_zps1d151295

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1161_zps00381c5b

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 DSCN1156_zps6cac06f1

Wow! Nice job Norm.
If you look closely, there is a fold of crust that looks like Tyrannosaurus rex. with a rooster tail. Amazing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nice job, Norm, and how inventive you are "on the fly"!

I've had to roll dough before with a wine bottle...a little awkward but doable. I love the idea of using the alfredo in lieu of milk. Your end pics look really tasty.

and I do NOT think your chicken looks like a dinosaur....lol

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - tell Tina, "good looking stew!"

it looks like the meat is fork-fall-apart....yum!

Barbara101

Barbara101

pot pie looks great but the salad really caught my eye.Right up my salad alley. Laughing 
I don't buy much milk.Then when I do,I end up dumping half the qt down the drain.so now I buy even the smaller size.I even did not use that.So I put it in the freezer.Now that works fine for me.

I buy 1/2 gal then use the whole thing for making my yogurt.

I buy canned milk in the fall when on sale for pumpkin pies.
I buy powdered milk for when I used to make bread.
I also have powdered buttermilk lol so I am fixed on milk.
Yet I do not drink any.
I buy half /half for my coffee.Cream for cooking .

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't drink milk either. I have never liked it, even as a small child. I will use it in cereal and drink it when it is flavored with chocolate but that is about it. My DH drinks a gallon a week.
It is hot here. 88 yesterday. I need to think of something summery for dinner. Maybe bbq chicken and a pasta salad.

NormM

NormM

I didn't drink milk until recently and now I drink a little milk with coffee at breakfast once in a while. When Charlie was not here, I bought evaporated milk for cooking but the two of them go through a gallon in a couple of weeks. I usually keep the refrigerator stocked with milk and cream, also buttermilk in 8 oz cartons but they drank it all and didn't put it on the shopping list so we were out.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 72cffa473f4a5e519cdbc928d7d26b04

whats up with the end up stick?  scratch lol! 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:whats up with the end up stick?  scratch lol! 

my guess is it is a flame diffuser for the gas stove so the stew doesn't burn/stick to the bottom of the pot.....

we'll have to wait for Jimmy to confirm....

cookingirl

cookingirl

Since it is just me at home, I use vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk. Before you say, "Bleh", it is really good. It lasts longer than regular milk. It tastes good in coffee and cereal. Even a glass of it is tasty.

I also have the small packages of unrefrigerated milk on hand for cooking--mashed potatoes, etc.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:whats up with the end up stick?  scratch lol! 

my guess is it is a flame diffuser for the gas stove so the stew doesn't burn/stick to the bottom of the pot.....

we'll have to wait for Jimmy to confirm....

Correct Answer

The reason for the This End Up, is because I had to modify the stupid el cheapo Heat diffuser so that a pot would sit F L A T on top of it.
I had to hammer all around where it was raised up preventing the pot from sitting flat on the diffuser metal.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 70c1
January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 7 Zhun

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a 1/2 sub sandwich cut into 1 inch slices, and drizzled with oil and vinegar ....
I had cheese soup, but It was awful .... It was too stinky. From the can stinky; like tin taste / smell . . .

Tina had a microwave Swedish meatballs and gravy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & Barb picked me up to go out for brunch....and then a shopping trip to the malls in Ocala. Too much laughing, we almost got kicked out of 3 stores.

Then, on the way home we stopped for a very late lunch, well, more like an early supper. I had a fabulous fried grouper fish sandwich. And house made potato chips. And some REALLY good cole slaw, couldn't figure out all the ingredients, just that it was one of the best tasting restaurant slaws I've had in a long time.

I guess I ate too much because I fell asleep in the chair when I got home, then got up and went to bed and now, at 2:22 a.m., I am wide awake and chattin' here.

Oh well, I'll take a nap in an hour or so. Got Friday Morning Movie (Las Vegas is the movie choice for today) and lunch at the Thai Ruby Restaurant to look forward to.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Lyn & Barb picked me up to go out for brunch....and then a shopping trip to the malls in Ocala.  Too much laughing, we almost got kicked out of 3 stores.

Then, on the way home we stopped for a very late lunch, well, more like an early supper.  I had a fabulous fried grouper fish sandwich.  And house made potato chips.  And some REALLY good cole slaw, couldn't figure out all the ingredients, just that it was one of the best tasting restaurant slaws I've had in a long time.

I guess I ate too much because I fell asleep in the chair when I got home, then got up and went to bed and now, at 2:22 a.m., I am wide awake and chattin' here.  

Oh well, I'll take a nap in an hour or so.  Got Friday Morning Movie (Las Vegas is the movie choice for today) and lunch at the Thai Ruby Restaurant to look forward to.

I'm sitting here and laughing. I could just see you girls getting dagger eye's for giggling in the store's. LOL
Tina has days like that when she and my cousin go binge shopping in PA.

I had one too many cookies for snack, and fell asleep on the couch (sitting up with head back and mouth wide open ). Just had to spray my mouth with cepacal because I must have been snoring, and my throat was sore.
It's ok now, but I'm wide awake.
WoW... Me up early?? First time in a long time. bounce 

I want dippy eggs for breakfast. With Burned Toast. Boy! will THAT wake up Tina.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and I had ( Believe it or not ) Bologna sandwiches. I made tina's on light toasted white bread with butter and mayo.
I made mine on Italian bread cut like a sub. Piled high with bologna and lettuce.

It was a bear to bite and keep together. The bread was too hard and doughy too!

No dessert yet. Maybe I will make us some pancakes later on. There are a few scraggly cookies around, and some vanilla wafers, but they are Too Sweet!
I could really go for some pie. Coconut custard is my favorite. Apple turnovers sound good too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I met some friends at one of the country clubs next to us for pizza last night. It was the best pizza I've had since moving here ~ who knew it was so close? It tasted like it was cooked in a real pizza oven, fire fueled but without the overwhelming smell of smoke. The crust was thin and had a wonderful crunch to it, the cheese (fresh mozzarella) melted beautifully.

Dane's gonna love it.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is so nice to find a good restaurant nearby. There are so many around us but most are the chain-type and the food is inedible or mediocre. 20 miles away it is a different story There are many great little places to eat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

There must be 200 restaurants in the Villages and the surrounding area. The other day we went to the 110th Street Grille for their fabulous grouper sandwich, the pizza last night, fried green tomatoes at The Cotillion a few miles away.....I can't remember the last time we went to a "chain" restaurant. Seems like our selection is endless.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at the grocery store yesterday afternoon looking at the shrimp in the seafood counter as an idea for my supper when I got the text inviting me to the pizza supper....so, I think shrimp is going to be my plan for supper tonight.

I just don't know what I want to make.

I'm leaning to a quick sauté and then tucked into a warmed flour tortilla with a pickled cabbage/carrot slaw, sort of like a Korean slaw that Charlie makes to go on his pork sandwiches.

Or, lightly coated in corn flour and fried, maybe with a baked sweet potato and a small green salad.

Then again, if I wanted to marinate the shrimp in a bit of a vinegarette and then uncover the grill so they get caramelized on the grates.....

heck, I'm still unable to sit for more than a couple minutes because I ate too much for breakfast and all I can think about is the next meal I'll cook. Geesh, I'm one sick woman!

then again, it could be another night to go out.

who knows?

Barbara101

Barbara101

I was going to make 15 bean soup,then forgot to wash & soak the beans.I think instead I may make Gumbo or even jambalaya.

I was going to have nice big fat burger for lunch but I have no buns.I am not going out to buy one or 2 either.

I took out a container of shrimp for what ??? Then got lazy & just steamed them & ate them.. cheers 

Barbara101

Barbara101

then again, it could be another night to go out.

I am really stuck in a rut.......I just hate to go out to eat anymore. I am happy to cook. That way I know if it is lousy It is my fault & I have not spent the money.lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum