Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 15]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was at the grocery store yesterday afternoon looking at the shrimp in the seafood counter as an idea for my supper when I got the text inviting me to the pizza supper....so, I think shrimp is going to be my plan for supper tonight.

I just don't know what I want to make.

I'm leaning to a quick sauté and then tucked into a warmed flour tortilla with a pickled cabbage/carrot slaw, sort of like a Korean slaw that Charlie makes to go on his pork sandwiches.

Or, lightly coated in corn flour and fried, maybe with a baked sweet potato and a small green salad.

Then again, if I wanted to marinate the shrimp in a bit of a vinegarette and then uncover the grill so they get caramelized on the grates.....

heck, I'm still unable to sit for more than a couple minutes because I ate too much for breakfast and all I can think about is the next meal I'll cook.  Geesh, I'm one sick woman!

then again, it could be another night to go out.

who knows?

I had a 1/2 bag of the frozen shrimp last week, and I made shrimp salad. Had that on split top rolls. I added some of that crab (fake) that was frozen. Onion minced and celery and mayo> Ummmm!!

Heck... must be a catchy disease after eating and thinking of the next food to eat. We have the same thing, and Tina calls it "Spoiled Foodies!"

Today will be kielbasi braised with onions, and potatoes wedges. Nice Saurkraut cooked with onions and served on the side. I'm sitting here in the kitchen and watching the snow come down. Just a squall, and only an inch so far, but it's so pretty. It really works up the appetite too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

snow.....

that's that cold, white stuff, isn't it?

I'm workin' hard on tryin' to forget it altogether.....

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
I took out a container of shrimp for what ??? Then got lazy & just steamed them & ate them.. cheers 

I'm hoping Dane can go shrimping with his nephew when the river shrimp are running. Barb, how do you prep your shrimp for freezing? I need some help ~ just in case (and I am crossing my fingers and toes that I get a bunch....)

Barbara101

Barbara101

I just put them in old style milk carton. The kind that almond milk comes in too. Or a large Half & Half. washed out good. I dump in the shrimp then cover with water & freeze.I have used plastic tupperware,the lids fit tight. I have always covered them with water first. Not cleaned in the shell.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK ~ thanks. I wasn't sure if I should clean 'em and shell before freezing. Makes sense to leave the shells on. I'm just not looking forward to a sink full of all those shrimps with the heads & feelers....hopefully the guys will get rid of the tops before bringing 'em home.

Heck, I don't even know when the shrimping season starts. Gotta give my brother-in-law a call and ask.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 DSC_0116

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK ~ thanks.  I wasn't sure if I should clean 'em and shell before freezing.  Makes sense to leave the shells on.  I'm just not looking forward to a sink full of all those shrimps with the heads & feelers....hopefully the guys will get rid of the tops before bringing 'em home.

Heck, I don't even know when the shrimping season starts.  Gotta give my brother-in-law a call and ask.

Barb had the right idea for freezing shrimp.

I the processing plant where they freeze them, they spray them with a demineralized water and they are belted to a blast freezer. Then they go for a second spray / blast frozen and then routed into bags and sealed.
They take a tare correction factor on the weight, and then they are ready to ship.
If you pick up a bag, and all the ice is in one spot in a big lump, that means they thawed out at one point.

I could go for some peel and eat shrimp right now.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 DSC_0116

YUMMY!.....looks awesome Barb. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 4137497845 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Barbie, Barbie, Barbie!  That is one yummy looking supper!

I tried to slice my shrimps almost in half to just let them curl up and help spread out in the tortilla.  That, and they cooked super fast, as if shrimps need to cook faster than they already do.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 011814

The slaw was really good and a nice compliment to the shrimps.  Just thinly sliced cabbage, shaved carrot and some thinly julienned radishes, dressed with a light vinegarette of rice wine vinegar, honey, a few drops of soy and sesame oil and then just a bit of canola oil to help it adhere to the vegetables.

Oh, hey, Jimmy....tell me again how you make your chili meat sauce for your hot dog sauce. I've got a pound of ground beef and I was going to make hot dogs with sauce & onions until I changed my mind and got some sauerkraut and brown mustard stuck in my head.....some onions, too. But I don't want to freeze the beef, I'd rather make the sauce and freeze it so when I do hot dogs again I can have 'em with the chili & onions.

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh wow Beth. affraid January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 4056093967 January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3593629538 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, Barbie, Barbie, Barbie!  That is one yummy looking supper!

I tried to slice my shrimps almost in half to just let them curl up and help spread out in the tortilla.  That, and they cooked super fast, as if shrimps need to cook faster than they already do.

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 011814

The slaw was really good and a nice compliment to the shrimps.  Just thinly sliced cabbage, shaved carrot and some thinly julienned radishes, dressed with a light vinegarette of rice wine vinegar, honey, a few drops of soy and sesame oil and then just a bit of canola oil to help it adhere to the vegetables.

Oh, hey, Jimmy....tell me again how you make your chili meat sauce for your hot dog sauce.  I've got a pound of ground beef and I was going to make hot dogs with sauce & onions until I changed my mind and got some sauerkraut and brown mustard stuck in my head.....some onions, too.  But I don't want to freeze the beef, I'd rather make the sauce and freeze it so when I do hot dogs again I can have 'em with the chili & onions.

“Greek Style”
Hamburger & Hot dog Chili Sauce

2- Tbs. Cooking Oil
1- Medium Size Onion ( *Chopped Fine )
1- Clove Garlic minced finely.
1-½ Lb. Chopped Meat ( Ground Three Times if You Can Get It )
1-½- Tbs. Cumin Powder
2- Tbs. Oregano Powder (alternate = Dried / & Ground in mortar and pestle )
¼ -tsp. Cayenne Hot pepper
1- Tbs. Red Paprika (Hungarian Preferred)
2- Tbs. Chili Powder (* Not the Hot )
1- Can Tomato Sauce ( 15 or 16 oz. size )
3- Cups Water* ( L@@Ks like a lot, but needed )
Salt & Pepper to Taste …. ( *I use Kosher Salt )
################################################
Brown Meat in Oil..with Onions till browned. (Drain off Excess Fat)

Add all the other ingredients ; Cook over low heat until thickened. ( I place it on a heat diffuser so the bottom won’t burn; even though it is on low flame.)

* It takes a while to thicken, and patience is worth it with this recipe. ( Cheating, by adding less water is a No- No with this one) [Tried it, been there, and not a good idea] The flavors take time to meld and marry into the meat. Stir Frequently so as not to burn.

Enjoy! ……..[ Recipe.. From Jim & Tina’s Kitchen ]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... those tortillas with shrimp look awesome. I never thought of using shrimp that way. See... Inspiration...
Instead of counting sheep while trying to sleep, I count food jumping over the table, and jimmy crawling on the floor and scooping it up.  pig 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3470128989  Ate so fast, there was no time for pics.
Had the kielbasa, saurkraut, potato salad, (Tina loves that ), and there is a Sock It To Me pound cake on the cooling rack for dessert. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 2790317363 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thank you, thank you, thank you Jimmy - that's the sauce recipe I wanted....I thought I had it in my files but, of course, could not find it when I went looking for it. It's there NOW.

thanks again!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3470128989  Ate so fast, there was no time for pics.
Had the kielbasa, saurkraut, potato salad, (Tina loves that ), and there is a Sock It To Me  pound cake on the cooling rack for dessert. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 2790317363 

yeah, Jimmy, when you mentioned wanting the kielbasa with sauerkraut it just popped into my brain when I was picking up some hot dogs....saw the Sabrette Brand and decided it was time to give 'em a try. And I had every intention of hot dogs with chili sauce but kept being drawn to a sauerkraut topping....and then I knew it was YOU being my inspiration! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you Jimmy - that's the sauce recipe I wanted....I thought I had it in my files but, of course, could not find it when I went looking for it.  It's there NOW.  

thanks again!

You are welcome. No Problem.
I didn't have it on this computer, but it is on the retired computer stacked on a pile under my bed.

I did have it on another forum though, and I was lucky to find it in the search.
I was looking for chili sauce....but I remembered it was posted as "Greek chili sauce.
That's what I had on my burger the other day. I love, and Tina too as long as it isn't too spicy. Son Jim and Maria used to eat it and loved it on dogs and burgers....only until they found out I used onions in the recipe. That was it! They ask,"Dad, is there onions?" I say ,"Yes all pureed in the blender!"
Then Maria goes," Oh _ hit....I smell the onions!"

I try to explain, "cooking for a couple hours, the onion smell goes away!"
They don't care. It's stuck in their heads>> Onions ...Onions...Oh No! tongue 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3470128989  Ate so fast, there was no time for pics.
Had the kielbasa, saurkraut, potato salad, (Tina loves that ), and there is a Sock It To Me  pound cake on the cooling rack for dessert. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 2790317363 

yeah, Jimmy, when you mentioned wanting the kielbasa with sauerkraut it just popped into my brain when I was picking up some hot dogs....saw the Sabrette Brand and decided it was time to give 'em a try.  And I had every intention of hot dogs with chili sauce but kept being drawn to a sauerkraut topping....and then I knew it was YOU being my inspiration!   LOL

Ha Ha Ha Ha .... I like Kraut on my dogs too.

The chili sauce, I freeze in little containers enough for like 4 dogs or three burgers.
It freezes well, and keeps for a good six months.

BTW... the Sabrette hot dogs are my favorite.
I wanted them tomorrow, but Tina is gonna make stuffed piggy's in the blanket tomorrow.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara101

Barbara101

Sabrette Brand

The best ever.. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 266346835 January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3921676023 When Publix has them BOGO I buy tons ..In the freezer they go.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Sabrette Brand

The best ever.. January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 266346835 January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3921676023 When Publix has them BOGO I buy tons ..In the freezer they go.

Barb, they come with the natural casings (the PoP with each bite )...and the collagen casings that are like skinless. I like the PoP.

Another good brand is Thumans All Beef Franks.
Tina worked with a butcher that worked part time on weekends at the Thumans plant. He said the place is so clean, if you sneeze, or use a tissue to catch a cough, they pull you off the line, and you have to change the coat and apron, and new gloves and hat. That I like.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

delicious foods.. beautiful food pictures and interesting conversations..  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3593629538 

I just came back from a small gathering with some friends at a friend's house.. I volunteered to the main course.. my friends brought some foods too.. I want to share the picture of the foods I cooked

here is yellow rice, usually for celebrating birthdays.. today we celebrated 4 birthdays in January

yellow rice, Indonesian spicy beef aka Rendang, spicy peanuts and potatoes ( I used frozen hash brown), spicy eggs.. originally it has more side dishes but I did not cook them all..

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 20-1

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OK ~ thanks.  I wasn't sure if I should clean 'em and shell before freezing.  Makes sense to leave the shells on.  I'm just not looking forward to a sink full of all those shrimps with the heads & feelers....hopefully the guys will get rid of the tops before bringing 'em home.

By "tops," do you mean the heads? Man, save those heads and peels for shrimp stock, Beth! You can de-head and peel them before freezing if you want -- just freeze the heads and peels in a different bag for stock.

bethk

bethk
Admin

yeah, Crybaby, I meant the heads, etc.

I was just thinking of having to deal with a couple 5 gallon buckets full....I know I should deal with all of them, but if I don't have to have all of them, well, that's OK with me, too. I only use the seafood stock for a couple things.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Barb, they come with the natural casings (the PoP with each bite )...and the collagen casings that are like skinless. I like the PoP.

This package of kielbasa was messy to slice.I was like,wth is wrong with my knife lol.I guess it is time for the sharpener.Then I noticed on the package in large letters Natural casings..HUH.Why have I not noticed that before? Did I just notice or did I buy something different.?hummm.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:delicious foods.. beautiful food pictures and interesting conversations..  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 8 3593629538 

I just came back from a small gathering with some friends at a friend's house.. I volunteered to the main course.. my friends brought some foods too.. I want to share the picture of the foods I cooked

here is yellow rice, usually for celebrating birthdays.. today we celebrated 4 birthdays in January

yellow rice, Indonesian spicy beef aka Rendang, spicy peanuts and potatoes ( I used frozen hash brown), spicy eggs.. originally it has more side dishes but I did not cook them all..

Goodness, Imelda - what a spread of amazing foods!

I'm curious about the spicy peanuts and potatoes.....please tell us more about that dish.  Also, are your spicy eggs hard boiled eggs dipped in your chili paste?  It all looks so interesting.

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:yeah, Crybaby, I meant the heads, etc.

I was just thinking of having to deal with a couple 5 gallon buckets full....I know I should deal with all of them, but if I don't have to have all of them, well, that's OK with me, too.  I only use the seafood stock for a couple things.

not hard to pop those heads off.Just hard pinch them. I do not pop them till I am ready to cook some. I freeze them as is....I just toss them.Sorry. I do not make fish stock lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum