Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013

+6
UNCLE JIMMY
cookingirl
Crybaby
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

76What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Unlike some of you, we love pesto over here. Last time I made it, I tried using pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts. Not only were they much cheaper, but it really tasted exactly the same as with pine nuts -- maybe even better. The pumpkin seeds were lightly salted but it made no difference in the pesto.

I have two sweet basil plants in the garden right now -- we've been having so much rain -- and HEAVY rain at that -- that the plants are pretty beat up. But they'll come back soon, I guess.

I bought an edamame plant a couple weeks ago at the garden store. Even with all the darn rain we've been having, the plant looks pretty good. I have no idea how the plant will do but I love edamame so I had to have it.

77What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

I bought an edamame plant a couple weeks ago at the garden store. Even with all the darn rain we've been having, the plant looks pretty good. I have no idea how the plant will do but I love edamame so I had to have it.

I'll be interested to hear about your edamame plant, Crybaby. I grew up on a dirt farm and soy beans were a major crop, rotated with corn, wheat, oats and sugar beets. I can remember baking shelled soy beans when they were ripe and lightly salting for an evening snack. They tasted much like the "corn nuts" that were sold commercially.

It never occured to any of us to pluck the soy beans before they were dry on the plant and eat them "green" ~ so my first experience with an edamame appetizer was a wonderous thing....I loved 'em! I have a feeling they are a different cultivar than the soy beans we grew as a farm crop in Ohio, but I could definately see the similarities.

The last time I made succotash (traditionally for us with lima beans & corn) I used the frozen shelled edamame instead of the baby lima beans. It was really good and I liked the idea it was probably a bit more nutritious than the limas (although, honestly, limas are a favorite of Dane and mine....unlike 98.7% of the general population!).

78What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:
Beth.. you got a good deal for your coconut oil... can you use it for cooking too? my neighbor uses it too, for everything, even for tending her dog's wound

Imelda, yes, the coconut oil is food grade ~ I would normally purchase it at the grocery store in the baking aisle. But the pint jar I found at TJ Maxx was organic and had a prettier label! lol

It's neat stuff - if it's kept in a cool space it's a "soft-solid" and then as soon as you rub it between your hands it turns to a liquid. It sort of melts into your skin and helps to keep it from being dry and flaky. And, like I said, it doesn't have an odor. My daughter said her friends use it for their babies as a diaper cream because it protects little bottoms from getting diaper rash. It doesn't feel greasy on my skin and "dries" in just a couple minutes. It's good stuff!

I love your dinner pic, by the way. I wish I had grown up eating fish on a regular basis because I think I'd eat more of it now. I usually just buy cod fillets (they're the most reasonably priced in this area) because I like a mild white fish and I don't like bones in my fish. But fish cooked on the bone is so much more flavorful. I'm just terrified of choking on a fish bone...must be some long repressed experience from my childhood...I don't know. lol

Last edited by bethk on Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

79What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made a tomato sauce with veal and pork cubes / sausage / and meatballs.

Gave a bunch to son and DIL.

It was good! Nice and thick sauce. She made angel hair with it. Didn't like the brand of angel hair. Tasted Flat. Tina salted the boiling water too!
Oh! I didn't push it away! I ate two small dishes. Had my hot peppers with it too!

NO BREAD! Grrrrr! Trying the weight loss.

Boy, Jimmy, I know what you mean about pasta not having any flavor. I'm usually pretty happy with the Barilla brand - they do a whole grain style that I like a lot. But I think the DeCecco (sp?) brand is the one I like the best for it's flavor. They have an angel hair that's in nests, which is nice for portion control...2 is enough for a nice serving of pasta.

And if you're trying to cut back (good job on no bread, by the way!) then you should at least have a lot of flavor in what you do eat. At least that's MY thoughts. I guess that's why I don't deny myself anything, I just try to avoid or "wait until tomorrow" to skip some of the stuff I would normally eat with mindless abandon. When I have carbs now I'm totally aware of each bite and I savor it.

I went out to eat with my friends the other night and Lyn and I split a small piece of bread. I took the effort to cut my little piece of bread (a fabulous rosemary foccacia!) into 3 little bite size pieces and then made an effort to bite each cut piece into 2 bites. I even put the small bit back on the plate as I concentrated on the flavor of that tiny bit I was chewing. And you know what? I was satisfied. I didn't walk away from that table wishing I had actually eaten something I love and then going home and binging on frozen bread crusts from the loaf of bread in the freezer!

80What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 7:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's my grilled shrimp dinner....AMAZING flavor!

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 051413b

But I just couldn't bring myself to ingesting the head, etc. I ended up cleaning 'em all before I ate. PITA to remove the shells when grilled....next time it's the steamer for sure! lol

(but, fortunately, cool asparagus is not a terrible thing. I just reheated the butter and dipped the cleaned shrimp in the butter for the first bite and the cocktail sauce for the second. Yum!

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 051413c

81What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made a tomato sauce with veal and pork cubes / sausage / and meatballs.

Gave a bunch to son and DIL.

It was good! Nice and thick sauce. She made angel hair with it. Didn't like the brand of angel hair. Tasted Flat. Tina salted the boiling water too!
Oh! I didn't push it away! I ate two small dishes. Had my hot peppers with it too!

NO BREAD! Grrrrr! Trying the weight loss.

Boy, Jimmy, I know what you mean about pasta not having any flavor. I'm usually pretty happy with the Barilla brand - they do a whole grain style that I like a lot. But I think the DeCecco (sp?) brand is the one I like the best for it's flavor. They have an angel hair that's in nests, which is nice for portion control...2 is enough for a nice serving of pasta.

And if you're trying to cut back (good job on no bread, by the way!) then you should at least have a lot of flavor in what you do eat. At least that's MY thoughts. I guess that's why I don't deny myself anything, I just try to avoid or "wait until tomorrow" to skip some of the stuff I would normally eat with mindless abandon. When I have carbs now I'm totally aware of each bite and I savor it.

I went out to eat with my friends the other night and Lyn and I split a small piece of bread. I took the effort to cut my little piece of bread (a fabulous rosemary foccacia!) into 3 little bite size pieces and then made an effort to bite each cut piece into 2 bites. I even put the small bit back on the plate as I concentrated on the flavor of that tiny bit I was chewing. And you know what? I was satisfied. I didn't walk away from that table wishing I had actually eaten something I love and then going home and binging on frozen bread crusts from the loaf of bread in the freezer!

I got the name of that (Never Buy it Again ) macaroni's. It is Rienzi Brand. Tasteless.Maybe because it is all semolina flour.
We like Barilla or Ronzoni... My Favorite, is San Giorgio.

Years ago growing up...there was a Brand Called Conte Luna macaroni's. The Box had a picture of the Man in The Moon on it. I havn't seen it in years.
The Anna Brand is good too!

I had to laugh about your portioning that slice of bread, and eating it slowly.
Just like Lucy Ricky, Fred, and Ethel, when they were stranded in the log cabin all snowed in. Lucy had a snadwich in her back pack, and she was forced to share with the others. I roared laughing when she was eating her share nibbling at it like a mouse, and then wetting her finger to press on the crumbs, and the finger licking. Haaaaaaaaa.... Laughing

I love your Looky Looky Shrimp platter. Me Too! I don't want them winking at me as I eat them up! hahaha

82What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tuesday / 14 May ..2013

Had a bag of those nissan Shrimp flavored noodles for supper. 2 cookies, and an oatmeal bar.

Not much for me, but trying to cut down.
Wife was away all day, and I was busy fixing / finding a broken electrical circuit that fed the bathroom, and 1/2 of the bedroom. What a nightmare!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

83What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, when you're done doing the electrical at your house will you stop by here and add an outlet by my water heater so I can move a refrigerator out in the garage? I didn't realize there wasn't an outlet there and it's the only place I have room for that extra refrigerator. It's only about 115° up in the attic. lol

84What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy, when you're done doing the electrical at your house will you stop by here and add an outlet by my water heater so I can move a refrigerator out in the garage? I didn't realize there wasn't an outlet there and it's the only place I have room for that extra refrigerator. It's only about 115° up in the attic. lol

<p>If the electrical Load Center (Breaker Box ) is in the garage....it would be

a snap!
If Not = http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-74050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B0020YHX0E/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1368629549&sr=8-21&keywords=heavy+duty+extention+cordsLaughing

85What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's a nice item, Jimmy ~ but does it come in a color other than yellow?

Hahahahaha

86What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Beth.. your shrimps look so good... I like shrimps with skin and head on, but I rarely bought them here.. my DH is so spoiled, does not like to peel the skins, moreover the heads Rolling Eyes

for today's dinner, I'm planning to cook my Italian style beef sausage, any idea what to do with it? the easy one Wink

87What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 2:14 pm

NormM

NormM

Funny you should mention cold asparagus. I just finished copying a recipe from the newspaper for cold marinated asparagus and was thinking about making it tonight.

This is it

Marinated Asparagus (They said it was Asian but I doubt it, other than having some Asian ingredients.)

1 lb. asparagus spears
2 T Water
1/4 C. seasoned rice vinegar
2 T. chopped fresh ginger
1tsp. dark sesame oil
2 tsp. bresh squeezed lemon juice

Zest of 1 lemon, divided

Remove tough ends from asparagus
Place stalks in glass pie plate with water, cover with paper towel and nuke 3 minutes.
Plunge asparagus into cold water.

Reservine 1/2 of the lemon zest, place remaining ingredients in zip top bag along with asparagus and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Drain & discard marinate, serve cold, garnish with remaining lemon zest.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

88What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, you're probably right about the cultivar for the edamame. Will keep you posted about how the plant does.

The last time I made succotash (traditionally for us with lima beans & corn) I used the frozen shelled edamame instead of the baby lima beans. It was really good and I liked the idea it was probably a bit more nutritious than the limas (although, honestly, limas are a favorite of Dane and mine....unlike 98.7% of the general population!).

We like lima beans over here, too, B. I can't think of a single bean that I don't like! I like them fresh and also canned, the latter jazzed up with some onion, garlic and bacon.

89What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

But I just couldn't bring myself to ingesting the head, etc. I ended up cleaning 'em all before I ate. PITA to remove the shells when grilled....next time it's the steamer for sure! lol

I didn't know anyone ate the head -- we keep them for stock but we don't eat them either!

I used to have Brian grill me some shrimp on the grill when he was cooking something else so I could add them to a brown bag salad to take to work -- adding the protein helped make me feel full. They were indeed a PITA to peel but I did discover something. When I chilled them overnight prior to peeling, the peel came off easily. Go figure!

90What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Those marinated asparagus look great, Norm. Another vegetable I get to eat all of, as Brian's not crazy about them. I love rice vinegar, BTW...

91What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Beth.. your shrimps look so good... I like shrimps with skin and head on, but I rarely bought them here.. my DH is so spoiled, does not like to peel the skins, moreover the heads Rolling Eyes

for today's dinner, I'm planning to cook my Italian style beef sausage, any idea what to do with it? the easy one Wink

Imelda, you would have loved those shrimps....the flavor of cooking them in the shells & heads was so intense. This is the first really fresh ones I've seen in the local market ~ and being on sale was a no-brainer of what I was going to have for supper.

Tonight I'm going to reheat my Faux Jambalaya with some thawed frozen shrimp I had originally planned to have last night.

I'm not sure what I'd do with the sausage....if it's in links I would probably brown it and then add a marinara sauce and serve the links simmered in marinara with a small portion of angel hair pasta along side. I think I have a pic of some chicken/spinach/mozarella sausage I did that with...let me go look if I can find it so you can see what I'm talking about:

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 09-23-12_zps7ec135f5

92What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Funny you should mention cold asparagus. I just finished copying a recipe from the newspaper for cold marinated asparagus and was thinking about making it tonight.

This is it

Marinated Asparagus (They said it was Asian but I doubt it, other than having some Asian ingredients.)

1 lb. asparagus spears
2 T Water
1/4 C. seasoned rice vinegar
2 T. chopped fresh ginger
1tsp. dark sesame oil
2 tsp. bresh squeezed lemon juice

Zest of 1 lemon, divided

Remove tough ends from asparagus
Place stalks in glass pie plate with water, cover with paper towel and nuke 3 minutes.
Plunge asparagus into cold water.

Reservine 1/2 of the lemon zest, place remaining ingredients in zip top bag along with asparagus and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Drain & discard marinate, serve cold, garnish with remaining lemon zest.

Norm - this sounds fabulous (copied & saved, thank you very much!)

Just a suggestion, however. If you want to cook your asparagus in the microwave please do it in 1 minute increments. Often mine is done to a tender-crisp after 1 minute on high (covered glass dish in plastic wrap) and allowed to rest for 2-3 minutes with the plastic left on.

I would be afraid 3 minutes would give you over-cooked asparagus.

(side note: Broccoli cooks in the same manner - 1 Tbsp. of water - in 2 minutes, 3-4 min. resting.)

93What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
I didn't know anyone ate the head -- we keep them for stock but we don't eat them either!

I used to have Brian grill me some shrimp on the grill when he was cooking something else so I could add them to a brown bag salad to take to work -- adding the protein helped make me feel full. They were indeed a PITA to peel but I did discover something. When I chilled them overnight prior to peeling, the peel came off easily. Go figure!

I'll keep that tip in mind, Crybaby....but, quite honestly, I can't imagine having the self control to actually have some as "leftovers"...

pig ****** pig ****** pig ****** pig

94What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 DSCN1604

you will be seeing lots of salads coming from me.

this one is romaine with lemon chicken breast. grilled..pinch of feta.

I will use the other breast for my spinach salad tomorrow.

95What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb ~ we must be on a mental telepathy thing or something. I had a "Greek Salad" with grilled chicken (MINUS the feta) for my lunch today. It was wonderful. We went to a restaurant that serves Greek and Italian menu...strange, but works just fine.

I was going to reheat this Faux Jambalaya last night and then changed my mind at the last minute. Turns out it was too much so I just ended up picking out the chicken, sausage and shrimp and tossing 75% of everything else. I thought I really, REALLY wanted the rice but just a few bites was enough to get rid of my craving. It really surprises me that I don't crave as much of the carbs as I thought I would....just like Barb and my DD assured me. I'm still having a little (like tonight's rice) but I usually just take a couple bites and then I'm good to go.

My body hasn't reacted as I would have hoped (sometimes you weigh what you weigh and that's the "weigh" it is...) but I FEEL so much better without all the high carbs. A half piece of bread is enough to satisfy now ~ and in the past I would have eaten 3 pieces and dipped each one in that dish of seasoned evoo. And like tonight, most generally I would have eaten every grain of rice in my dish.....and just a few small bites was all I needed.

What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 051513

96What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 6:58 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, too late for the advice. The asparagus is already chilling in the refrigerator. I didn't notice it being over cooked though. I also have some chilled, dilled green beans that you posted for dinner tonight along with some jerk chicken. I won't cook it for another three hours or so. No one is home right now.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

97What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Beth.. your shrimps look so good... I like shrimps with skin and head on, but I rarely bought them here.. my DH is so spoiled, does not like to peel the skins, moreover the heads Rolling Eyes

Imelda, you would have loved those shrimps....the flavor of cooking them in the shells & heads was so intense. This is the first really fresh ones I've seen in the local market ~ and being on sale was a no-brainer of what I was going to have for supper.

Tonight I'm going to reheat my Faux Jambalaya with some thawed frozen shrimp I had originally planned to have last night.

I'm not sure what I'd do with the sausage....if it's in links I would probably brown it and then add a marinara sauce and serve the links simmered in marinara with a small portion of angel hair pasta along side. I think I have a pic of some chicken/spinach/mozarella sausage I did that with...let me go look if I can find it so you can see what I'm talking about:

that is a good idea too, but it's too late Wink I still did not know what to make when I put my sausage (links) in my pan, then I open my pantry and saw 2 cans of chili beans, so I decided to use it.. I ran out of veggies, so we went to the store to get some celery, green bellpepper and more.. I told my DH that we were going to eat chili beans and he said, that's good.. farting time lol! What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 1838020472

I'll post my pic later.. my camera is in the kitchen counter and I'm too lazy and tired What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 387840482 to walk those few steps to get it
tongue

98What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Barb.. your salad looks so good.. I should make it sometime, I don't know if it'd satisfy my hunger but I sure will give it a try

99What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Barb ~ we must be on a mental telepathy thing or something. I had a "Greek Salad" with grilled chicken (MINUS the feta) for my lunch today. It was wonderful. We went to a restaurant that serves Greek and Italian menu...strange, but works just fine.

I was going to reheat this Faux Jambalaya last night and then changed my mind at the last minute. Turns out it was too much so I just ended up picking out the chicken, sausage and shrimp and tossing 75% of everything else. I thought I really, REALLY wanted the rice but just a few bites was enough to get rid of my craving. It really surprises me that I don't crave as much of the carbs as I thought I would....just like Barb and my DD assured me. I'm still having a little (like tonight's rice) but I usually just take a couple bites and then I'm good to go.

My body hasn't reacted as I would have hoped (sometimes you weigh what you weigh and that's the "weigh" it is...) but I FEEL so much better without all the high carbs. A half piece of bread is enough to satisfy now ~ and in the past I would have eaten 3 pieces and dipped each one in that dish of seasoned evoo. And like tonight, most generally I would have eaten every grain of rice in my dish.....and just a few small bites was all I needed.

aah.. this is my kind of meal What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 3267860543 too bad we don't have icon for "high five" Laughing

100What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

too bad we don't have icon for "high five"

your wish is my command.. What's for dinner? ~ May, 2013 - Page 4 3602300868

lol..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum