Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 18]

351JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm

NormM

NormM

Seagrams 7 is a blended whiskey. Southern Comfort is a liqueur made with neutral spirits, fruit, spice and whiskey flavorings.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

352JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:34 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

When Larry was doing contracting work in KY, we used to get a marinated steak that was soy sauce, brown sugar and KY whiskey. I bought Old Granddad's as it was middle of the road KY whiskey.

Also, years ago, Steak and Ale had a marinated one that was brown sugar, pineapple juice and soy sauce, no liquor and it was very good. I'm thinking the pineapple juice could be used in place of the vinegar. And I usually use teriyaki sauce in place of soy since it's mostly what I have on hand all the time.

353JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know I don't have any steak in the freezer. I'm wondering how I might incorporate this marinate with burgers....hmmmm Now I'm wondering if I should try something since I have a package of ground beef that needs to be made into patties for the freezer today. Sometimes I mix some grated butter, grated onion and Worcestershire in my ground beef before making into patties and freezing. I could do that and then use that marinate as a basting as I grill them.

Thanks for the inspiration, Norm!

354JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:35 pm

NormM

NormM

Hamburger patties cooked in butter, Worcestershire sauce and Seasoned Salt is good. I think it was the Lobster Club that made hamburgers with a frozen butter pat in the middle.

355JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Now that N O R M has gotten us in the Marinating or is is Marinading ? Kick!

I'm sitting here.. thinking of scoring or checkerslicing hot dogs or brats, and marina (t) / (d) ing them. ???? Hmmmmmm!
Chicken or Fish too! Maybe something like a Cajun marinade for fish using sassafrass spice, I cannot think of it but we have some someplace in the house of junk spices.

Beth....Was it not you or Imelda who made a marinade for Ham slices a long while ago on the original c.com posts?? Or it may have been Norm. NOoooo! I'll bet it was that Guy....Lemme think. . ... ........ OLD BAY! Old Bay I think it was? Anyone Remember OldBay?? He always had that wine glass next to his dinner pics...like you did Beth!

356JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I do not remember a marinade/marinate for ham...but, yes, I remember his glass of cab...always there, just like my cocktail. Truth be told, sometimes mine is a "virgin" cocktail but I would never admit to that....lol. All the drinkers is what attracted me to the site originally.

And I, too, am never sure whether it is marinate or marinade. One time I thought you made a marinate to marinade meat in, but I've been known to be w-r-o-n-g in the past. So I don't care what it's called....I won't yell at anyone no matter what word they want to use.

The 10 yr. old LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the country fried steak, mashed potatoes and milk gravy. We were just getting started with supper and he asked if anyone "didn't want their meat". We all just sort of looked at him and his mom told him that everyone wanted their meat.....he should eat his potatoes and corn & beans. Grandpa and I did share some of ours with him, poor growing boy. I had intended to make the country fried steak last night for just Dane and me so I only purchased 2 pieces of cubed steak. But, cut in half and breaded heavily, I figured I could get it to stretch for the four of us.

I also made a salad I was hungry for. Chopped romaine dressed with an orange, honey, Tabasco dressing. The salad was topped with roasted baby red beets, orange segments and toasted walnuts. I thought it was very good but it only got a B- from the other two at the table eating it. Too bad, like I said, I thought it was good AND it was very pretty! Nobody appreciates when I do something like roast the baby beets or segment a couple oranges...they would have to pay big bucks in a restaurant for a salad that pretty and tasty. Well, maybe NOT Dane or Robin because neither of them would see it on a menu and order it....sigh..... I got the idea from a salad I ordered at a restaurant in The Villages, theirs came topped with Gorgonzola I think, but they had no problem leaving it off for me. I like to try to recreate or adapt a dish I have at a restaurant I really like.

357JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 106

Jacobs Dinner

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 IMG_0603

sadly mine..Blue cheese dressing. as a after thought I added those little green peppers that come in a jar lol.

358JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll bet he was happy he could talk Grandma into lettin him come over!

359JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes . no tellin what he would have had at home.DD works nights & it is whatever you find in the freezer,or slap on bread,or delivery.Evil or Very Mad Mad No 

360JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

hi, all
lots of meaty marinades goin' on here! Smile

just chiming in, which seems silly 'cause all I have to offer as far as dinner tonight is I'm having leftovers. Smile Leftovers Chickpea Pot Pie with Buttermilk Cornbread Crust. Smile

That is all. Smile

361JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's ok, always fine to just pop in when you have a couple minutes.

Heck, if I'd known you were going to stop by I would have saves a salad for you....you could have had Robin's and she would have been happy with a piece of celery instead. You would have liked it, I'm sure....well, I don't know that for sure but you wouldn't have tasted it and said, "yuck". Ungrateful children. If the salad doesn't have a store bought dressing on it Robin thinks its no good.

362JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

I'm usually a fan of most salads. I often have them without any dressing. If the ingredients are fresh and good, and I have some sprinkles of cheese and/or avocado slices, and/or toasted nuts across the top, no dressing is really necessary. Smile

363JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, I do not remember a marinade/marinate for ham...but, yes, I remember his glass of cab...always there, just like my cocktail.  Truth be told, sometimes mine is a "virgin" cocktail but I would never admit to that....lol.  All the drinkers is what attracted me to the site originally.

And I, too, am never sure whether it is marinate or marinade.  One time I thought you made a marinate to marinade meat in, but I've been known to be w-r-o-n-g in the past.  So I don't care what it's called....I won't yell at anyone no matter what word they want to use.

The 10 yr. old LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the country fried steak, mashed potatoes and milk gravy.  We were just getting started with supper and he asked if anyone "didn't want their meat".  We all just sort of looked at him and his mom told him that everyone wanted their meat.....he should eat his potatoes and corn & beans.  Grandpa and I did share some of ours with him, poor growing boy.  I had intended to make the country fried steak last night for just Dane and me so I only purchased 2 pieces of cubed steak.  But, cut in half and breaded heavily, I figured I could get it to stretch for the four of us.  

I also made a salad I was hungry for.  Chopped romaine dressed with an orange, honey, Tabasco dressing.  The salad was topped with roasted baby red beets, orange segments and toasted walnuts.  I thought it was very good but it only got a B- from the other two at the table eating it.  Too bad, like I said, I thought it was good AND it was very pretty!  Nobody appreciates when I do something like roast the baby beets or segment a couple oranges...they would have to pay big bucks in a restaurant for a salad that pretty and tasty.  Well, maybe NOT Dane or Robin because neither of them would see it on a menu and order it....sigh.....  I got the idea from a salad I ordered at a restaurant in The Villages, theirs came topped with Gorgonzola I think, but they had no problem leaving it off for me.  I like to try to recreate or adapt a dish I have at a restaurant I really like.

CF Steak sounds great. I could see why the 10 yr old wanted more.
I'll bet he cringed at that salad you made. I could not even see my kids eat a salad with nuts in it. I would love it.

Talking about the ham slices....I remember Tina bought some, and never made them. I'll have to get her to scout the freezers with a shovel, and her miners lamp on her head to see if she could find them. I just love them pan fried with pineapple slices and juice of the pineapple. agoes great with sweet potatoes. ( Candied of course ) LOL

364JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

made a couple thin steaks on the grill.
Tomato salad from yesterday.
Ooops! Corn on the cob too! No pic of that. In the tummy fast!...LOL

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Bgj9

365JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good looking meal, Jimmy. Did you end up with a big old blob of butter on that beef steak?

My favorite ham in the whole world is freshly cut off a big old hunk-o-ham in thin slices, quickly fried in a bit of butter, on to some nice white bread, a light slather of yellow ballpark mustard.....just like Grandma did for lunch for the 3rd shift lunch when they were cutting hay 24/7 in the summer. I can remember waking up, having been in bed since 8 p.m. And smelling that ham frying up in a big cast iron skillet at midnight. No matter who Grandma was cooking for it was never too much trouble to make a little sandwich for me and then shoo me back up to bed.

366JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good looking meal, Jimmy.  Did you end up with a big old blob of butter on that beef steak?  

My favorite ham in the whole world is freshly cut off a big old hunk-o-ham in thin slices, quickly fried in a bit of butter, on to some nice white bread, a light slather of yellow ballpark mustard.....just like Grandma did for lunch for the 3rd shift lunch when they were cutting hay 24/7 in the summer.  I can remember waking up, having been in bed since 8 p.m. And smelling that ham frying up in a big cast iron skillet at midnight.  No matter who Grandma was cooking for it was never too much trouble to make a little sandwich for me and then shoo me back up to bed.

Oh! I love fried ham like that!
When I was 11, I'll never forget this......My dads friend who was a pyrotechnist, and gunsmith in Pennsylvania, he took me up to Ithica New York...way upstate, and there was a Gun Show and Gathering up at the local Grange.

Mom gave me $3.00 for food. The women had the big meat slicer, and were slicing thin pieces of smoked ham. They (And I watched with mouth drool ) put the slices in big sheetpans, and with forks they tore up the slices into smaller pieces.
They drizzled oil and melted butter on top, and baked them in the oven.

They had loaves of white pullman bread, and tosted and buttered the toast till there was a pile high in a large bain marie pan. They filled the sandwiches with the pulled crispy ham, and sold them for 25 cents. I had 5 sandwiches, and two pints of chocolate milk. baked apples with the crust (I love them like that ).

I'll never forget, because I wanted to buy a miniature tie clip pistol that shot ( I swear) real tiny little bullets. I didn't have the $1.85 to buy it because I used my money on food! hahahahahahahaha....
There I was standing in the isles looking at all the guns dressed in my Husky Dungaree's..... the flannel lined ones, and cuffed 6 inches so the flannel would show, and I wouldn't step on the cuffs. I had on my Hunting Boots ( Rubber ) and with my plaid shirt, and my ear lugger hat...you would swear I was Elmer Fudd from the Bugs Bunny Cartoon and wooking four dad waskle of a wabbit!

On the ride back home, Paul had to pull over so I could throw up. I guess I ate too much. Mom said,"Did ya buy anything?" I said,"No Ma!" She asked, do you have money left??" .... Paul just looked at her, and said,"He stuffed himself with food, and he had no money left!" Ma said,"What the heck did you eat spending all that money?"

Now that three dollars in 1955...was like what 21.00 dollars is today! hahahahaha.
And I didn't even see a wascle of a wabbit!

But anyway.... I make them sandwiches now, and I cook the ham in the cast iron pan with a lot of black pepper.  

367JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Guess what?

I rejuvinated and cleaned up Tinas old laptop and no more blue screen.
The hard drive was misplaced files in certain sectors. I'm using it now with no issues.

That iolo "System mechanic is one of the best repair software I ever bought.

I even fixed and realigned the Kitchen computer. That one would not boot.
Its all working but I have to set it up someplace else in the house.
That tower is too big. ( I don't care, but Tina doesn't like to see it)
What a spoil sport she is!! LOL

At least I have all my food pictures to look at when I need inspiration to cook something!

368JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's wonderful, Jimmy!  Congratulations on being the master fix-it.  If anything goes wrong with my computer I have to call the fix it guy and take it over to him.  At least the last time the fix lasted longer than two weeks.

Love that story from a few years ago....and just reading it I could smell that sliced ham baking. I know there is a big deal now days for artisanal breads, but hot ham on Pullman white bread, the kind that mushes down from the heat of the ham....man, my mouth is watering.

369JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:That's wonderful, Jimmy!  Congratulations on being the master fix-it.  If anything goes wrong with my computer I have to call the fix it guy and take it over to him.  At least the last time the fix lasted longer than two weeks.

Love that story from a few years ago....and just reading it I could smell that sliced ham baking.  I know there is a big deal now days for artisanal breads, but hot ham on Pullman white bread, the kind that mushes down from the heat of the ham....man, my mouth is watering.

Yeah! Thanks to iolo "System Mechanic" $29.95 and I use it on all the computers using the one license key!
It doesn't take long for a hard drive to misalign or get corrupted.
That will slow the computer thinking down.
All my computers get a click every 3 or 4 days before I sleep, and I wake up all fixed up and back to fast just like when new.

Yeah! The mush down of the ham steam that softens the bread. Oooooo!!
I make Bacon egg and cheese on buttered toasted English muffins, .....but I always wrap the sandwiches in waxed paper so that it steams the muffin.
I used to make them for the kids, and have them all made and wrapped for when they woke up. Pop in the micro to heat for 20 seconds, and Ohhhh! SOoooo GOoooood! I want one now!

370JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, the garage just called and said the module supplying power to the fuel pump was what needs replacing. It is not as expensive and a new fuel pump but not very much less.

Food related, as soon as it's fixed, I can run to the store and get some groceries. I am running out of a lot of stuff.

371JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

glad your car troubles will soon be over, Norm!

372JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, the garage just called and said the module supplying power to the fuel pump was what needs replacing. It is not as expensive and a new fuel pump but not very much less.

Food related, as soon as it's fixed, I can run to the store and get some groceries.  I am running out of a lot of stuff.

Oh Boy!
I know exactly which PCM it is. That takes in a lot of information before it allows the vehicle to run. It looks for the tip over switch / looks to see the transmission selector is in the park position, and a whole bunch.

My Next Door Neighbor had a no start intermittently, and I found two corroded wire connection points. due to acid from the battery dripping on the connector.Thank God it is repaired, and it conked out at home and not....well let's not go there!

373JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:40 pm

NormM

NormM

It isn't repaired yet. I just got the diagnosis and the estimate. They started it manually and are putting in a new unit now.. or maybe after lunch. It's lunchtime now. I hope it's the only thing that needs work.

374JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I had to run out to the store for H&H & don't you know I spent $45. Rolling Eyes 

I had no intention of buying fish but I saw cat fish.I bought a nice big fat piece,so I will either grill it or pan fry.

375JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 15 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It isn't repaired yet. I just got the diagnosis and the estimate.  They started it manually and are putting in a new unit now.. or maybe after lunch.  It's lunchtime now.  I hope it's the only thing that needs work.

Yep... That's what I did. I jumped the ground input to the PCM ( Power Control Module) to let the Fuel Pump Relay energize...to start the car.

That should be all that is needed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum