Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 18]

301JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 pm

NormM

NormM

I like the Japanese eggplants much better too.  In Junction City, at the grocery store they were expensive but cheap at the Farmers Market when they had them.  I was going to a new (to me) Farmers Market here in Olathe tomorrow but now with the car in the shop, I'll probably have to wait until Wed.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

302JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I love sitting near the kiddies. I first make eye contact, and give a clown smile (Of coarse only while mom and or dad is not looking)
Then I will eat my potatoes with my knife (butter knife). Or.... Throw my food up and catch it. All whilst Mom and Dad is not looking....
Then when the kid plays Monkey See; Monkey Do...That's wen I sit back and watch the fun. hahahahahahah

Laughing Laughing Laughing you are TOO funny, Jimmy! Smile

303JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I like the Japanese eggplants much better too.  In Junction City, at the grocery store they were expensive but cheap at the Farmers Market when they had them.  I was going to a new (to me) Farmers Market here in Olathe tomorrow but now with the car in the shop, I'll probably have to wait until Wed.

Didn't start huh?

Did it Crank err err err err ?
or did iT .... Click Click Rat tat rat tata rattat...??

Sounds like ( Fuel Pump to me )

Tina said the car wouldn't start the other day....I told her to light a match and use it to looK in the gas tank filler pip to make sure it wasn't blocked! LOL
Just funnin! clown 

304JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 pm

NormM

NormM

It cranked like it wanted to start. Could be the fuel pump now that you mention it.

305JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It cranked like it wanted to start.  Could be the fuel pump now that you mention it.

Yeah! Your looking at $287.00 for the pump + the garage will tack on 30 to 50% + $160.00 labor + Tax if you pay state tax there?

I've seen / heard of a rash of fuel pumps failing lately.
Gee I'll bet the Corn gas (Ethanol ) has a lot to do with it?
I don't use the regular or middle gas. I use the Premium.
It costs like 20 cents more a gallon, at 20 gallon tank, that's $2.00 More.
BUT... It's all gasoline. It burns better, and has 135,000 btu per gallon as opposed to 125 to 128,000 in the Ethanol blended fuels. Ethanol = Less mpg.
The moisture in the ethanol plays heck on the steel and aluminum parts of a vehicle.
OOOps! Gotta end this with food in the subject.
Jimmy Crack Corn, and I don't Care (Pun Intended )... Corn / Ethanol / get it? hahahahahahaha

306JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

muzicgirl wrote:okay, what I made for dinner tonight was Chickpea Pot Pie with a Buttermilk Cornbread Crust ...

I couldn't find all my ramekins when I was getting ready to bake it, so I made it in a 9 x 13 pyrex instead, and because of that, I think the ratio of crust to pie filling was undesirable - too much crust.  Other than that, it was really good.  Smile

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 IMG_0632_zpsf7de0bc6

beautiful pie Muzicgirl JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 3593629538

307JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I love sitting near the kiddies. I first make eye contact, and give a clown smile (Of coarse only while mom and or dad is not looking)
Then I will eat my potatoes with my knife (butter knife). Or.... Throw my food up and catch it. All whilst Mom and Dad is not looking....
Then when the kid plays Monkey See; Monkey Do...That's wen I sit back and watch the fun. hahahahahahah

funny and naughty Uncle Jimmy...lol!

308JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:12 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:It cranked like it wanted to start.  Could be the fuel pump now that you mention it.

Yeah! Your looking at $287.00 for the pump + the garage will tack on 30 to 50% + $160.00 labor + Tax if you pay state tax there?

I've seen / heard of a rash of fuel pumps failing lately.
Gee I'll bet the Corn gas (Ethanol ) has a lot to do with it?
I don't use the regular or middle gas. I use the Premium.
It costs like 20 cents more a gallon, at 20 gallon tank, that's $2.00 More.
BUT... It's all gasoline. It burns better, and has 135,000 btu per gallon as opposed to 125 to 128,000 in the Ethanol blended fuels. Ethanol = Less mpg.
The moisture in the ethanol plays heck on the steel and aluminum parts of a vehicle.
OOOps! Gotta end this with food in the subject.
Jimmy Crack Corn, and I don't Care (Pun Intended )... Corn / Ethanol / get it? hahahahahahaha

JIMMY I like your posts they are very interesting & I always learn something from you. Post away.

309JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 am

NormM

NormM

I mentioned that a birthday treat for a little freind of Cassies was to go see a live performance ofThe Little Mermaid last night and that she had been working on her birthday cake all day yesterday.  She finished it last night.  I took a picture of it just now but because the sun is coming in behind it, it turned out kind of dark.  She will probably post a better picture of it later today.  The Under the Sea and Little Mermaid figures are made of marzipan and colored with food colors. I think the doll is a Barbie.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 DSCN0641_zps2fdc0646

Last edited by NormM on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

310JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness, but Cassie is really expanding her talent! She's doing amazing work, please pass along my compliments. I can just imagine her little friend being thrilled to receive that cake for her party.

311JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:46 am

NormM

NormM

I'll tell her what you said. She is taking cake decorating classes this month at Michaels.

312JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I mentioned that a birthday treat for a little freind of Cassies was to go see a live performance ofThe Little Mermaid last night and that she had been working on her birthday cake all day yesterday.  She finished it last night.  I took a picture of it just now but because the sun is coming in behind it, it turned out kind of dark.  She will probably post a better picture of it later today.  The Under the Sea and Little Mermaid figures are made of marzipan and colored with food colors. I think the doll is a Barbie.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 DSCN0641_zps2fdc0646

Gorgeous Cake tell Cassie...

Love the Base Cake decorations....

313JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well now you know what to get her for Christmas....gift card to invest in Wilton stuff. It amazes me, I still have all the tips my mom bought years ago. When I see how much they cost today I'm really happy I hung on to them to pass along to my daughter. And I love the new "disposable" piping bags they have today. I don't like to have to wash and sanitize those heavier ones, although I do still have a couple.

314JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JIMMY I like your posts they are very interesting & I always learn something from you. Post away.

Thanks Barbara... All that ethanol was researched and it was not just my opinion.
I read about that all the time.

The newer vehicles use different materials for their fuel delivery systems, but the less mpg's with ethanol blends will never change.

315JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:57 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Imelda HL wrote:

beautiful pie Muzicgirl JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 3593629538

thank you! Smile

316JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:59 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:JIMMY I like your posts they are very interesting & I always learn something from you. Post away.

Thanks Barbara... All that ethanol was researched and it was not just my opinion.

The newer vehicles use different materials for their fuel delivery systems, but the less mpg's with ethanol blends will never change.

so what you are saying is if your car is old use the high grade.?

317JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I should have took out some stock in Wilton. She has already bought a lot of stuff from them.

318JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

so what you are saying is if your car is old use the high grade.?

If your vehicle is a later vehicle like say a 2000 and up..they changes a lot of the components to be able to use ethanol blends without corrosion of the parts that deliver the fuel etc.

My vehicle is a 1997 Yes a 1997 Mercedes Benz S320, with 187,000 miles on it; and it is a 6 cylinder that is required by Mercedes to use only unleaded Premium Gas only.
I used to use the Middle 87 octane with no problems, but since they started with the Winter Blends (Here in the colder climates like NJ) I had a lot of knock and ping...so I moved back to the Premium.
It gets better mileage 27 hwy using the premium, and plus I don't want to ruin the fuel system with that stupid Ethanol added to the gas. The Premium does not have the Ethanol blend. It's straight Gasoline...period.

I compare it to: You are going on a hike, and you need shoes, so you buy High Heals instead of Hiking shoes. The high heals are shoes, but a lot of punishment on the feet.

319JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty lunch grilled Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 300955_148930858524841_3613998_n

grilled zucchini & chicken some legs.

320JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:I mentioned that a birthday treat for a little freind of Cassies was to go see a live performance ofThe Little Mermaid last night and that she had been working on her birthday cake all day yesterday.  She finished it last night.  I took a picture of it just now but because the sun is coming in behind it, it turned out kind of dark.  She will probably post a better picture of it later today.  The Under the Sea and Little Mermaid figures are made of marzipan and colored with food colors. I think the doll is a Barbie.

beautiful cake Norm.. I so admire people who have lots of patience in decorating cakes... JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 3593629538

I can't get my green color back Question

321JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not sure what's up with the color, Imelda....you know me, I just use "quick reply" and don't mess around with all the available options.....

Tonight I'm going to have some nice, thick, meaty country ribs....gee, I wonder how I came up with that idea ??? I just seasoned them with s&p and seared them off in a hot pan. Somehow I ended up with a bottle of Moscato wine, which I think is excessively sweet, so I'm trying to use it up for cooking. I deglazed my pan with the sweet wine and poured it over the pork before covering the roasting pan. I'm hoping the acid in the wine will help tenderise the pork and make it fall-off-the-bone tender. Closer to the end of roasting ill add some bottled Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

I was going to bake an acorn squash but the one I came home with is dry inside. Maybe I'll do baked sweet potatoes and beet greens. As long as the oven is on I think I will roast the beets but save them for another night or even that beet, orange & walnut salad I ran across on that other web site. I think the stems and greens from beets are more of a favorite than the beets.

322JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

I'm working an evening shift today, so dinner is "convenience foods" tonight - courtesy of Trader Joe's ... some (frozen) spinach and cheese stuffed shells, and a (fresh) tomato and mozzarella salad

323JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There is a Trader Joe's by my daughter's. Some of their frozen foods are better than I can get locally. I really like the frozen French green beans and their corn tastes like fresh when cooked. She (DD) usually picks up her Sroneyfield organic yogurt there.

324JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:19 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

bethk wrote:There is a Trader Joe's by my daughter's.  Some of their frozen foods are better than I can get locally.  I really like the frozen French green beans and their corn tastes like fresh when cooked.  She (DD) usually picks up her Sroneyfield organic yogurt there.  

Trader Joe's can be very handy. There's one near my house, and one near one of my two jobs. They have some good products, some unusual and/or unique ones, too. The quality and the prices are usually both very good, too. Everyone in my family has their "favorites" from TJ's. (As in, "You're going to TJ's? Would you pick me up some ____) Wink

325JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 13 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh,my,supper was fantastic!

I've been hungry for country ribs since I saw Norm's last week.....TWICE!  But, Dummy Me, I forgot to put the tossed salad on the table.  Oh, well, it will be stored in a paper towel lined zip bag and be all ready for another day.  The pork was tender and flavorful, just what I was yearning for. There were little pockets of fat that were rendered down to succulent bits...so, so good.  I had a baked sweet potato and Dane had a baked russet, so we were both happy with our starch.  And what can I say about red beet stems and leaves?  If you've ever eaten steamed spinach or Swiss chard and enjoyed it you would also enjoy the tops of red beets.

The only down side to our supper was Dane kept making eye contact with Goofy Huckleberry.  Huck is NOT allowed to be in the kitchen when we eat.  And every time Dane looked at him, Huck thought it was ok to come in.  Then I would give him "the look" and he'd drop his head and back out of the room.  I mean, that's just mean.  Poor dog thought he was going to join us....NOT !  If Robin had not been home I might have let Huck chew a bit on the blade bone from the ribs but I know she would accuse me of trying to kill her dog if I gave him a bone.  He was more than happy with the left over fat strip from the pork, all cut up and mixed with his food.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum