Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It isn't spicy food. I think he eats too much and it always seems to happen if he eats with a cocktail. I have told him that but he poo-poos my opinion. Years ago he had a stricture that needed to be opened, I am hoping that this is the problem and he can get it stretched. Kind of like Tina except further down.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

52February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tacos and guacamole for supper......

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 02_08_11

I got an appointment to get a COVID vaccine on Saturday at Sam's Club in Orlando. It's an hour drive but there's lots to do there so we'll go early. Really odd that I was able to make an appointment for me but when I went back during the same session to make an appointment for Dane there were no more available.

It's kind of a bummer because he's getting a colonoscopy on Friday (gets to prep on Thursday) and then on Saturday, it's his birthday and I won't be home to take him out or cook him a birthday dinner. But, that's the way it goes, I guess. There's always Sunday for a dinner if he wants.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

53February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is impossible to get a vaccine in my county. The last time I tried to register for one the website crashed so many times I couldn't register.

54February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:10 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

After I read that you are going to get a vaccine Beth, I got on our county Covid site and low and behold they opened up some vaccine sites. The first one I chose was full but I got a reservation at another - 26 miles away. I will have to drive myself because it conflicts with another appointment Joe has. Hope I make it up and back ok.

55February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Orlando is about a 50+ mile drive, but we do it all the time so it's no big deal.

Interesting that we were able to get into an appointment at Sam's Club.

56February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]It didn't turn out to be taco's. at 5:00, Tina decided to clean out the refrigerator. Maria pulled it out to access the drawer removal
What a mess..... I had a liverwurst on a roll, with green onions.
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Reefer10

[size]

bethk likes this post

57February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:33 am

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This batch of tenders, had my gums hurting getting through the crusty coating. It was perfect for me. You know me, I don''t like soft and moist chicken. Nope!
#######################################
Got a rack of ribs baking in the oven for tonight. Mad Hunky all purpose rub for 4 hours or so, at 275 F.

Am I correct in remembering Mad Hunky for that other chatline years ago?  

Yes, Rich from the cooking.com forum and also a 'smoker' (meats) forum.  Has his own line of seasoning.  You can find it online at:  https://madhunkymeats.com/

More than one of our members recommends his 'All Purpose Rub'

I remember him more for the recipe he passed on to me for the best Cream of Mushroom Soup I've ever made.....MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT

I think I posted the recipe here......if not, I can....

Yup ~ it's here:  https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1069-golden-mushroom-soup

He sent me a package of a rub, I used it, but I guess life got in the way of thinking about him more.  My son has gotten into smoking, I'll tell him about "Hunky".

I order stuff from rich all the time. I absolutely love his chicken brine.

58February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I swear, kitchens need a separate fridge just for condiments. Yours looks like mine. If I could, I would put another fridge out in the garage just to hold condiments.

59February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=18]It didn't turn out to be taco's. at 5:00, Tina decided to clean out the refrigerator. Maria pulled it out to access the drawer removal
What a mess..... I had a liverwurst on a roll, with green onions.
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Reefer10

[size]

WOW! THat is a lot of condiments. And, the fridge, a great invention, the side by side, but not enough space for a full size pizza box, or a big platter, or a lot of things that either a big family, or someone who is really into cooking needs. I was sooooo spoiled when my kids were teenagers and beyond. We had a regular kitchen fridge, and then in our mudroom we had a full size WOODS fridge that was all fridge. My hubby was into making his own beer, and we had two of those huge plastic round beer kegs. When I moved, I gave it to my sons' friend who has a very large extended family, and it's still going strong.

60February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

And the freezer section.... is packed. Opening would be an avalanche. Downstairs is a commercial freezer, and another refrigerator / freezer.

61February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a small freezer out in the garage. I wish I had a fridge/freezer too.

62February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My garage refrigerator / freezer is a (very) small side-by-side. My kitchen refrigerator is a 'French Door / Bottom Freezer' with ice in the door.

I've still had to cull out my condiments but that's not a bad thing because I find I don't use much of what's in there most of the time. I also have a bad habit of 'making fresh', things like tartar sauce and cocktail sauce without actually looking to see if there's already some made. Then there's way too much and it has to be dumped.

The garage refrigerator is filled with Dane's beer, flavored vodkas, sodas, sports drinks, protein bars and I have potatoes, squash & fruit stashed there. It's nice to have the space to actually have the beverages without having them in the way of the every day items in the kitchen.

If it hadn't been free I would have purchased a refrigerator with as large a top or bottom freezer as I could find with just a 'regular' ice maker that I could easily empty into plastic bags as needed. But, since the side-by-side was free and just needed a good clean-up it will be fine in the garage.

In Ohio I had a good sized Amana bottom freezer refrigerator in the kitchen and a huge, full size (ancient) Sears upright freezer. That freezer held a huge amount of garden produce that got us through many winters as well as casseroles, cookies, cupcakes and the occasional bag of Snickers Bars (wrapped in foil and labeled "FISH").

63February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Tuesday, the day Fresh Market has their fresh ground chuck on sale for $2.99/lb. My stock of burger patties was down so I stopped to get some. So, as long as I was making patties for the freezer I decided it was a good night for burgers on the grill. It was warm today ~ 84° ~ so Dane fired up the charcoal grill for a couple burgers.

I made some 'home fries' to go with the burgers, steamed some broccoli in the microwave and split the last $0.39 avocado from Aldi's to fill with good basalmic vinegar as a 'salad'. Normally I serve the avocado on a bed of sliced lettuce but Dane has to start his colonoscopy prep tomorrow and mentioned he couldn't have any salad.

I think tomorrow when he cannot have anything to eat but clear liquids I'll choose to go pick something up and eat it elsewhere. I don't want to be mean and have food smells in the house to drive him crazy!

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 02_09_10

64February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A naked burger pan fried. Asparagus and beans that DD
made. Also, a garden salad.

bethk likes this post

65February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:05 am

Cookin Lore

NY strip done on my grill, some asparagus that was on special, and mushrooms and onions tonight. Asparagus from Mexico @ $2.99 /pound. That's cheaper than when it's in season locally!

66February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did a low & slow braise on a couple pork chops, baked a sweet potato in the toaster oven and steamed some asparagus in the microwave.

And that was supper......

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 02_10_11

67February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I sent Joe out to get some New York strip steaks that are on special: choice for $3.99/lb. Asparagus is on special for .99 cents a pound.

My sister sent this to me and I thought it was cute enough to share.

How Children Perceive Their Grandparents

1. She was in the bathroom, putting on her makeup under the watchful eyes of her young granddaughter, as she'd done many times before. After she applied her lipstick and started to leave, the little one said, "But Gramma, you forgot to kiss the toilet paper good-bye!" I'll probably never put lipstick on again without thinking about kissing the toilet paper good-bye.

2. My young grandson called the other day to wish me happy birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, 80. My grandson was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

3. After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice,
"Who was THAT?"

4. A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like. "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods."
The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"

5. My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo and I said, "No, how are we alike?'' "You're both real old," he replied.

6. A little girl was diligently pounding away on her grandfather's word processor. She told him she was writing a story.
"What's it about?" he asked.
"I don't know," she replied. "I can't read."

7. I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me, and she was always correct. It was fun for me, so I continued. At last, she headed for the door, saying, "Grandma, I think you should try figuring out some of this stuff for yourself!"

8. When my grandson Billy and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects. Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy whispered, "It's no use, Grandpa. Now the mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights."

9. When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not sure." "Look in your underwear, Grandpa," he advised. "Mine says I'm 4 to 6."

10.. A second grader came home from school and said to her grandmother, "Grandma, guess what? We learned how to make babies today." The grandmother, more than a little surprised, tried to keep her cool. "That's interesting." she said, warily. "How do you make babies?"
"It's easy," replied the girl. "You just change 'y' to 'i' and add 'es'."

11. "Give me a sentence about a public servant," instructed the teacher during a lesson. One small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant." The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked.
"Sure," said the young boy confidently. 'It means carrying a child."

12. A grandfather was delivering his grandchildren to their home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the front seat of the fire truck was a dalmatian dog.

The children started discussing the dog's duties.
"They use him to keep crowds back," offered one child.
"No," said another, "he's just for good luck."
A third child brought the argument to a close. "They use the dogs," she said firmly, "to find the fire hydrants."

13. A 6-year-old was asked where his grandma lived. "Oh," he said, "she lives at the airport, and when we want her, we just go get her. Then, when we're done having her visit, we take her back to the airport."

14. Grandpa is the smartest man on earth! He teaches me good things, but I don't get to see him enough to get as smart as him!

15. My Grandparents are funny. When they bend over, you hear gas leaks, and they blame their dog.

68February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Cookin Lore

Great stories. I love that Grandma lives at the airport. LOL

Dinner tonight, stuffed pork tenderloin, scallopped potatoes, carrots and sprouts.

69February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dogs and beans. Coleslaw and banana bread for dessert.

bethk likes this post

70February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Cookin Lore

Hot dogs and beans sounds great. Beans always sound great. I think I have some chili in my freezer. time to check that out. I see that my drawer of "leftover" dishes for freezing is pretty empty, time the check out where they are and eat that stuff instead of cooking more.

71February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I pulled out a turkey to defrost for next week. It is taking up too much room and needs to get eaten. My sister is sending some freezer meals from Omaha Steaks to me so I need the room. I don't have high hopes as to how they will taste. If they are anything like their potatoes au gratin, they will go in the trash.

72February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing cooking at my house.

Dane's in his 'prep' day.

I may sneak out to get a bite to eat. (( so Ssssshhhhhhhhh! It's a secret so he doesn't catch me with food smells on my breath....... ))

LOL

73February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Nothing cooking at my house.

Dane's in his 'prep' day.  

I may sneak out to get a bite to eat.  (( so Ssssshhhhhhhhh! It's a secret so he doesn't catch me with food smells on my breath.......  ))

LOL

Wish Dane Good Luck with the test!

bethk likes this post

74February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's test went off without a problem.....he wants to go out tonight.......

So ~ ~ NO cooking here tonight!

75February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup for this Saturday night.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum