Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas!

+3
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't believe it's December already!

I'm not sure what's for supper. I have some collard greens washed and ready to cook.

But I've made pork often and I don't know what to fix with them.

I also have leftover beef short ribs & gravy that I was thinking about turning into hot roast beef sandwiches.

So, I'm in a quandry as to what to fix for supper. Maybe I'll get inspired later in the day......

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got my collard greens cooked ~ still a bit of a bite to them but they'll soften more on a reheat just before supper.

I've decided to run by Mission BBQ Restaurant and order a Half Smoked Chicken for our supper. I think they have pretty good corn bread, too, so my supper is done. Just have to go pick it up later.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My plan came together perfectly. I cooked my collard greens and then went to Mission BBQ and got a single order of half a smoked chicken ~ came with one piece of cornbread and I added a second one. It was 'fall-off-the-bone' tender and just lightly smoky. Went perfectly with my collard greens.

Funny, but I think we both waited to eat our cornbread at the end of our meal ~ like a dessert. LOL

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_01_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm cleaning out the refrigerator/freezer. I decided on hot roast beef sandwiches with the leftover beef short ribs & gravy. I pulled out the extra mashed potatoes I made on Thanksgiving that I had stashed in the freezer and got them thawed. I'll have some frozen peas to turn it all into a meal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper turned out better than I expected. The leftover short ribs & gravy got simmered for a bit and I had sliced the beef really thin ~ made for super tender beef for sandwiches.

The mashed potatoes were like a big plus (although my hips probably didn't thank me.....). LOL

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_02_13

JanaAZ

I had a pork loin that I wanted to use. I brined it then Roasted it with apples and cherries. Served it with mashed potatoes and caramelized onions. It was really good. I found a recipe then did my own thing with it.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 56b25b10

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I had a pork loin that I wanted to use. I brined it then Roasted it with apples and cherries. Served it with mashed potatoes and caramelized onions. It was really good. I found a recipe then did my own thing with it.

That's a way to come up with new meal ideas. Sometimes I'll find a recipe using ingredients I would not have thought of combining, but the original recipe includes an ingredient I know I don't care for (ie: cilantro.....). I'll do something similar but leave out what I find objectionable.

Your meal looks really delicious.

JanaAZ likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy is continuing his therapy in rehab ~ got to get the strength back in his legs.

Tina took her iPad over and he sent us a short message:

(From Jimmy)

"I sure am missing everybody. God bless and thanks for the concern. I’m going through therapy now trying to get back on track. take care now"

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a couple burger patties this morning and then decided to grab a container of the last huge butternut squash I had baked ~ I've got 3 or 4 deli containers full in the freezer. It's really watery from being frozen but if you just let it simmer a bit it tightens up nicely. I told Dane "I did NOT add any sugar to the squash!" ~ but it sure tasted like it. That was one of the very best butternut squash I've bought all year.

I've still got one more meal of collard greens ~ don't know if they'll get served or just tossed. They're good but you can only eat them so many times in a few days.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_03_11

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did the crispy skin chicken thighs......yet again.......since that's what was stuck in the freezer when I tried to open the drawer. WHO MESSES UP MY FREEZER??? (Oh, gee, maybe it was me looking for something else yesterday.....my bad)

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_04_14

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"In my volunteering job at the Christian benefit shop. Although I am not of the Mennonite religious persuasion (lapsed Lutheran) I agree with what they do as part of the MCC  and are among the ten best rated charities in Canada. I like the atmosphere and am having a great time volunteering. Just thought you’d like to see this too."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_04_17

Last edited by bethk on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

bethk, cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork tenderloin perfectly done to med rare with mushroom sauce. Baked potato and sprouts just done with a little butter on top."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_04_16

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It sure looks like you're enjoying yourself, Lore! It's nice to use some of your spare time to help others!

No cooking tonight ~ we're going out. I didn't feel like cooking.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Two pictures. One from before my stuffed mushrooms went in the Ben and the other when they came out. The rice in the stuffing is about two minutes before being burned. Stuffing has leftover rice, chopped scallops and cheese quite good, I will make again. And a salad of course."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_05_11

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_05_12

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Trying to use up some of the stuff in the feeezer and I had a few quarts of homemade red sauce. I also had some sausage and ricotta….so I made a baked ziti. We’ll I was out of ziti so I used cavatapi so I guess it’s not baked ziti.

I’m having a small dinner party on Saturday and everyone is spending the night over so not only am I planning a dinner but also a brunch in the morning. I’m going to do some make ahead orange rolls and pecan rolls. Then all I’ll have to do Sunday is make the savory items.

I’d like to rest now please

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I spent the entire day in Orlando.  She had a 10:30 appt. with her orthopedic surgeon to discuss her second hip replacement surgery.  It seemed to take FOREVER!.

But she was done by 12:30 so we headed over for lunch at Seasons 52 ~ it was a 'belated' birthday lunch.  We both like the food there, we've never been disappointed.  I had half a mushroom flatbread and had no problem switching the goat cheese for mozzarella....and a bowl of their butternut squash soup.  

And since it was a birthday lunch we each had one of their tiny desserts.  

Everything was well done and it was such a pleasant time.

Then we went down the street to Trader Joe's ~ I found some delicata squash and a nice spaghetti squash that I'll probably bake tomorrow night.  I also picked up a couple jars of the TJ organic marinara that I use as a 'base' when I throw stuff together for sauce to go into the freezer.  Then it was a stop at Costco and finally a quick stop at Gordon Food Service so I could get a roll of plastic table cover for use at Social Club.  

We got home at 7:30, which is a long day for us.

I've got a big glass of ice water....then I'll vegetate in front of the TV for a bit and head to bed by 10:30.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wish I knew how to really tell if a squash is ripe. I ended up with yet another green (watery) tasting spaghetti squash. It wasn't so terrible that we couldn't eat it but it wasn't very tasty and it didn't really separate into strands like it should. I also made the orange jello cabbage salad we like. I didn't make it for Thanksgiving so I knew he'd appreciate it even now.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_07_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Didn’t feel like cooking so I made a pizza sort of. A piece of naan bread, I put on some shredded mozzarella , then some marinated seafood I had in a jar. Calamari rings, shrimp, baby octopus, tiny onions. Then topped with a bruschetta mix from the salad bar in a local grocery store, various olives, hot pepper, feta. It was delish. I may never make a regular pizza again!"

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_07_13

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday was $3.99/lb. ground chuck day at Fresh Market. I was happy to find I didn't have to wait in a 20-person line to get some meat. There was pre-packaged beef in a cooler ready to go. I picked up a couple packages.

This morning I weighed out one package into 6 oz. hamburger patties to go into my freezer supply. The other package, along with a 1 lb. container of 'breakfast' sausage got mixed up in my meatloaf recipe ~ panko crumbs soaked in buttermilk (for moisture), assorted seasonings, worchestershire sauce, tomato sauce, a few beaten eggs and some onion/carrot/celery grated and sauteed until tender & cooled. I even remembered to do a test patty to check for seasoning.....and I did need to add a bit more salt.

When it's all mixed well (I wear plastic 'food service' disposable gloves) and mix it by hand to be sure it's all combined really well, it gets put into plastic wrap lined foil pans (they're just the right size for us). When they're frozen they'll get a wrap of foil just to protect them a bit more because I don't know how long they'll be sitting in the freezer.

When it's time to bake them for a meal the pan will sit in the refrigerator for about 2 days to thaw. then I unwrap them from the plastic and carefully put them on a rack on a foil covered quarter sheet pan to bake. Sometimes they get a glaze, sometimes they don't. But no matter what, the foil protects the sheet pan & oven and I don't have a mess to clean up! (I have mentioned how lazy I am, haven't I?)

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_08_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim is coming for supper tonight ~ BBQ Ribs, his favorite.  So often we go out and he orders them only to be disappointed with the taste.  I wish he was open to actually learning how to cook.  But I've tried and it's awful to say, but he's hopeless.  He's asked me half a dozen times how to cook mushrooms....he likes them with a steak (that he CAN grill on his own) or a hamburger.  EVERY TIME he calls to double check with me....."How long do I have to boil mushrooms for them to be done?"

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

I've even tried to SHOW him when he's here how I saute sliced mushrooms in a little butter.  But it just doesn't register with him.  I can only imagine how flavorless mushrooms would be if they were boiled for half an hour in a pot of water.....(ewwwww)

I've got my rack of ribs in the refrigerator with a bit of dry rub on them. I'll put them on a rack over a foil lined sheet pan and add some Coca Cola to steam them (covered tightly with foil over the pan).  I'll bake them for about an hour and 15 minutes and then I'll take them out of the oven, check for doneness and probably cut into 2-rib sizes and brown them on the gas grill, slathered with a bit of BBQ sauce I'll throw together from what's in the refrigerator.  If it rains they'll just get put back into the oven on convection until the sauce is sticky.

I also made a little homemade applesauce.  I noticed when we went out to dinner with him that he chose applesauce as one of his sides.  So I know it's something he'll enjoy.

I'm going to use the last of the package of pre-sliced cabbage slaw mix I bought to use in my orange jello/cabbage salad.  I've got some light Asian style dressing made in the refrigerator so the dressing is already made ~ easy peasey side dish!

I'm debating on whether or not to bake a small potato.....to be decided later.  If I do potatoes, Dane & I will split a sweet potato and Jim will get a little white potato.

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though it wasn't anything 'special', it was really appreciated as a home-cooked meal. My ribs were simply oven roasted / glazed and a small serving of coleslaw and homemade applesauce was all we needed to be satisfied.

Dane ended up having a small baked potato with his meal.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_08_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOO HOO!

I just got a call from DD#1 and they will be in Orlando this weekend for a soccer tournament Tori is going to be playing in. We'll have a chance to go to one of her games and have a chance to see all of them (except Joshua who will be staying at Perdue University completing exams before his holiday break).

She apologized for the short notice but didn't know until this morning if they would be coming to Florida. Jim is still at his parents' about an hour east of us recuperating from his second hip surgery. He's only in his 40's so his cousin (his orthopedic surgeon) doesn't want to recommend a total replacement this soon. But he tells Jim it will be what he'll need in the future. He's on his last week of taking it easy and will be returning to work on Tuesday ~ flying into Atlanta for 4 days and then, finally, home on the weekend. It's been a long month (for Andrea, I'm sure....) and I'm thinking he's really looking forward to getting back home.

So now I'm excited to have a chance to see them, even for a few hours. We may spend the night there just so we can visit and then go to breakfast with them the next morning......we'll see.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided on a simple supper of grilled burgers ~ it didn't look like rain and there wasn't any in the forecast so I took the chance.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_09_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Went back to my Indian cookbook. This is Pathare Prabhu Chicken Masala or Chicken curry with cream and spices. Skinless chicken thighs with yoghurt and lots of spices. Fairly plain, so I added some mushrooms. Enough for leftovers probably tomorrow. Yumm."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! 12_09_14

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum