Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to lunch at a place on the ocean in St. Augustine. The food was just OK but the scenery outside the window was wonderful. The breeze off the ocean was close to 'cold' with the salt spray but the air was so fresh.....I love to just sit and watch the waves and, if it's warm enough, to sit outside and just listen.....

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_17_12

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

127February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Tuna sandwich today, I added boiled eggs ( never added egg before, and it was good ), I chopped a green bellpepper (picked from D's garden), shallots, serrano and thai chilies ( also from his garden), I mixed mayo with lemon juice and Thai sweet chili sauce, I used 3 can of chunky tuna, I separated a small portion without chili for my MiL, I melt some pepper jack cheese on a hotdog buns ( we bought them at Costco, 2 dozens in a pack, so we used them for our sandwiches), I also added some fresh spinach,  D ate 2 sandwiches Laughing

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 15131910

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 15192911

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

128February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

COD fish and beans cooked in tomato sauce.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Cod10

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

129February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Tuna sandwich today, I added boiled eggs ( never added egg before, and it was good ), I chopped a green bellpepper (picked from D's garden), shallots, serrano and thai chilies ( also from his garden), I mixed mayo with lemon juice and Thai sweet chili sauce, I used 3 can of chunky tuna, I separated a small portion without chili for my MiL, I melt some pepper jack cheese on a hotdog buns ( we bought them at Costco, 2 dozens in a pack, so we used them for our sandwiches), I also added some fresh spinach,  D ate 2 sandwiches Laughing

Your sandwiches look fabulous! Did you use the canned Kirkland brand albacore tuna from Costco? I get that when I think about it ~ really tasty tuna, although it's fairly pricey ($15 for 5 cans, I think). But the cans are larger than I get in the store and the tuna inside is usually really large chunks and not the 'mish-mash' you get in the pouches.

130February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Glad we are on the tuna topic. Tomorrow will be spaghetti with tuna and breadcrumbs. About 1/2 cup of plain crumbs, toasted; and then added olive oil....1/4 cup then minced fine garlic and mix in the can of tuna ( olive oil in the can.) Sprinkle with lemon juice as eaten.

Have no clue for today. .... Got two or three inches of snow today, and just a nuisance. Maybe more later ?? Who knows ?

bethk likes this post

131February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roasted a turkey and made mashed, dressing and gravy. Joe said he wanted to eat at 11:30 but it will have to be later because we are getting a delivery and set-up of a bed at the same time.

bethk likes this post

132February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Glad we are on the tuna topic. Tomorrow will be spaghetti with tuna and breadcrumbs. About 1/2 cup of plain crumbs, toasted; and then added olive oil....1/4 cup then minced fine garlic and mix in the can of tuna ( olive oil in the can.) Sprinkle with lemon juice as eaten.

Have no clue for today. .... Got two or three inches of snow today, and just a nuisance. Maybe more later ?? Who knows ?

I love toasted breadcrumbs on spaghetti ~ great texture.

I use the breadcrumbs when I make my BLT Pasta with bacon, tomatoes & spinach....easy to sub tuna for the bacon. the tomatoes add nice color & I use the little grape tomatoes cut in half and just heated through. The spinach wilts way down and adds to the color. Good stuff!

133February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some pork steak chops that I planned to do with a Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ braise.....but I forgot I had used up my Sweet Baby Ray's.....so, 'Plan B' was to use some of the leftover Asian sauce I had in the refrigerator. I steamed some cabbage, boiled some potatoes and ended up spooning some fresh creamed corn over the potatoes just like I did when I was a kid.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_18_11

134February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had seafood stew of shrimp, mussels, and scallops. DD made it.
Waiting for it to settle a bit before a slice of Lemon Chiffon pie Tina made.

bethk likes this post

135February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie likes wings so I picked three chicken wing recipes that looked good and Charlie narrowed it to two. About a week ago we had a Korean style one and today we had one with a cherry glaze. Charlie liked it. I am thinking it might be a good glaze for pork ribs too. We had them with mac and cheese.February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 20210212

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

136February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie likes wings so I picked three chicken wing recipes that looked good and Charlie narrowed it to two. About a week ago we had a Korean style one and today we had one with a cherry glaze.  Charlie liked it. I am thinking it might be a good glaze for pork ribs too.  We had them with mac and cheese.February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 20210212

Darn, they look great tasting. I know Charlie likes mac and cheese too.

bethk and NormM like this post

137February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight......

It's Lyn & Bill's 55th wedding anniversary so they're taking a group of us out for dinner at one of the country clubs.  

Tuna fish for lunch.

Interesting think I just learned.....Hellman's Mayonnaise has 90 calories per Tbsp. Miracle Whip has 40 calories per Tbsp.

I never knew all these years I've been using Miracle Whip instead of Hellman's that I was making diet food!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

138February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Tuna sandwich today, I added boiled eggs ( never added egg before, and it was good ), I chopped a green bellpepper (picked from D's garden), shallots, serrano and thai chilies ( also from his garden), I mixed mayo with lemon juice and Thai sweet chili sauce, I used 3 can of chunky tuna, I separated a small portion without chili for my MiL, I melt some pepper jack cheese on a hotdog buns ( we bought them at Costco, 2 dozens in a pack, so we used them for our sandwiches), I also added some fresh spinach,  D ate 2 sandwiches Laughing

Your sandwiches look fabulous!  Did you use the canned Kirkland brand albacore tuna from Costco?  I get that when I think about it ~ really tasty tuna, although it's fairly pricey ($15 for 5 cans, I think).  But the cans are larger than I get in the store and the tuna inside is usually really large chunks and not the 'mish-mash' you get in the pouches.

It's a regular brand, Chicken of the sea, it says Premium chunk tuna in water, and they were really chunky, I had to break them in order to take them out from the cans. My Fil bought them at Costco months ago and they came in  a dozen cans/pack. I still have 5 cans to go. It's getting warm here, today's high is 72'F, my sister in Texas lost electricity for more than 3 days, fortunately they had water running and their have gas for cooking, now they are fine, still have to endure another cold and icy day.

Today is fish and chips/onion rings day, I've already made some coleslaw, chilling in the fridge

bethk likes this post

139February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:No cooking tonight......

It's Lyn & Bill's 55th wedding anniversary so they're taking a group of us out for dinner at one of the country clubs.  

Tuna fish for lunch.

Interesting think I just learned.....Hellman's Mayonnaise has 90 calories per Tbsp.  Miracle Whip has 40 calories per Tbsp.

I never knew all these years I've been using Miracle Whip instead of Hellman's that I was making diet food!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

So what is the difference between mayo and Miracle Whip? I rarely (maybe never) used MW, I only have mayo. I saw there are a couple jar of whipped cream in the fridge, are they the same with MW?

140February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

So what is the difference between mayo and Miracle Whip? I rarely (maybe never) used MW, I only have mayo. I saw there are a couple jar of whipped cream in the fridge, are they the same with MW?  

Mayonnaise is egg, lemon juice or vinegar, salt & oil whipped together until thick.

Miracle Whip is a 'salad dressing' and contains the same egg, vinegar, & oil as well as sugar & spices.

I was just surprised when I looked at the nutrition information on the jars that mayo had more calories than the Miracle Whip because I always thought, with the sweetness, it would surely have more calories.....must be the amount of oil.

But I'm no nutritional scientist so don't take what I say as 'truth'......it's just me and my thoughts! LOL

Imelda HL likes this post

141February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote: It's getting warm here, today's high is 72'F, my sister in Texas lost electricity for more than 3 days, fortunately they had water running and their have gas for cooking, now they are fine, still have to endure another cold and icy day.

[/color][/b]

Prayers for your sister and her family having to endure that awful cold, snow & ice.....as well as the power outage. It was warm here today but in the last couple hours the temperature has dropped at least 20° and it's raining ~ a COLD rain, to be sure. I think I'll actually wear a coat tonight and change my plans of wearing a dress to a pair of slacks & long sleeved shirt. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

142February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Things are terrible in Texas. I read that a man froze to death in his recliner. There is no excuse for that. Even hospitals have no running water.

143February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Mayonnaise is egg, lemon juice or vinegar, salt & oil whipped together until thick.

Miracle Whip is a 'salad dressing' and contains the same egg, vinegar, & oil as well as sugar & spices.

I was just surprised when I looked at the nutrition information on the jars that mayo had more calories than the Miracle Whip because I always thought, with the sweetness, it would surely have more calories.....must be the amount of oil.  

But I'm no nutritional scientist so don't take what I say as 'truth'......it's just me and my thoughts!  LOL

Is there any difference for the taste?

My fish and chips today, I thought I bought a bag of frozen onion rings, it turned out they were curly fries, silly me, I only saw the pictures, thought the curly things were onion rings Shocked I fried them in my airfryer oven for 10 minutes, they turned out crispy

I made my coleslaws with finely chopped napa cabbage, grated carrots, serrano and thai chili pepper, chopped onion, with mayo + lemon juice + honey, salt and black pepper dressing. I used cod fillet ( frozen ), coated in flour, dipped in lightly beaten egg then coated with breadcrumbs + parmesan cheese + lemon pepper seasoning, salt and blackpepper, pan fried until brown, then toasted in toaster oven before serving

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 8bda7a10
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 9ec5de10

bethk likes this post

144February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Things are terrible in Texas. I read that a man froze to death in his recliner. There is no excuse for that. Even hospitals have no running water.

I think I saw the headline on the internet that somebody in Dallas TX got a $10,000 bill for his electricity bill, I'm not sure how it happened, I did not read the whole story and I don't remember where I read it now. Cool

A friend of mine in Austin still has no water, they have to scoop up the snow and put it in the clean trash cans ( fortunately they just got a new trash can delivered not long ago ) they filled up their bathtubs with the water from the melted snow and used it to flush their toilets  Shocked

bethk likes this post

145February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is a huge difference of taste between Miracle Whip and mayo. I find Miracle Whip to be very sweet where as mayo is not sweet. I can't stomach Miracle Whip but a lot of people like it.

146February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Not only is there a difference in taste between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise, there is a big difference in different mayonnaise brands. It's really tricky to make it from scratch but a lot of people like that kind best.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

147February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"I made a pizza for supper using a purchased piece and f naan as a base. Tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, mushrooms and onions already sautéed, bacon and olives. Yumm! I hadn’t had pizza since last summer."

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_10

bethk likes this post

148February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have made mayo from scratch and it was good but not worth the effort. Too easy to just grab a jar of Best Foods.

149February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dinner at Nancy Lopez Legends Country Club was absolutely lovely.  We had a quiet table way back in the corner and enjoyed each other's company.  It is their 55th Anniversary.  The restaurant gave each of us a glass of champagne to toast the happy couple.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_11

Friend Cathy was sitting next to me and had Beef Tips on Pasta

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_12

Dane decided on Salmon Wellington w/Mushroom Wine Sauce

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_13

and I chose the Chateaubriand w/Port Wine Reduction

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_14

It never ceases to amaze me when we go out that we are SO very spoiled with the selection of restaurants and the pricing is so reasonable.  My beef tenderloin/chateaubriand was $20 and Dane's huge serving of Salmon Wellington was $23.  The most expensive martini I've had at a nice restaurant was $10.  

And that's why so few women in The Villages cook!  LOL

150February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Dinner at Nancy Lopez Legends Country Club was absolutely lovely.  We had a quiet table way back in the corner and enjoyed each other's company.  It is their 55th Anniversary.  The restaurant gave each of us a glass of champagne to toast the happy couple.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_11

Friend Cathy was sitting next to me and had Beef Tips on Pasta

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_12

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_13

One of my special dishes for special company is a salmon wellington

and I chose the Chateaubriand w/Port Wine Reduction

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 6 02_19_14

It never ceases to amaze me when we go out that we are SO very spoiled with the selection of restaurants and the pricing is so reasonable.  My beef tenderloin/chateaubriand was $20 and Dane's huge serving of Salmon Wellington was $23.  The most expensive martini I've had at a nice restaurant was $10.  

And that's why so few women in The Villages cook!  LOL

That all looks sooooo lovely, especially the diners! One of my special dishes for special people is a Salmon Wellington with scallop/shrimp stuffing. It is a large recipe, and I've been thinking of making it in individual portions, and may try that in the next little while. It is probably easier to manage a smaller portion, "Wrapping" and serving a family size Wellington was tricky for me.

NormM likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum