Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a ham steak......don't have a clue what it will become for supper ????

102February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:Winter storm warning today, snow starting, so I think it's a good day for cooking.  I seem to have over purchased bell peppers last week, so stuffed peppers it is.  I bought some pre-made burger patties a while ago, don't like them, but I think converted to the pepper filling they will be just fine.  Time to become creative.    

Chopping them up and using them for something else always works.

103February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I have a ham steak......don't have a clue what it will become for supper ????

Grind it, And make ham croquets. Mince it, and make ham salad. pig

104February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:I have a ham steak......don't have a clue what it will become for supper ????

Neither are something 'HE' will eat....but thanks for the suggestions. He doesn't even want scalloped potatoes & ham.....so it will probably be something heated through, maybe with a bit of whole grain mustard & maple syrup or brown sugar. I might make fried apples to go with mine but he won't eat those, either. Oh well ~ it will be what it is when it hits the table.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

105February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:06 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Neither are something 'HE' will eat....but thanks for the suggestions.  He doesn't even want scalloped potatoes & ham.....so it will probably be something heated through, maybe with a bit of whole grain mustard & maple syrup or brown sugar.  I might make fried apples to go with mine but he won't eat those, either.  Oh well ~ it will be what it is when it hits the table.....

Does he like it with pineapple?

Ingredients

4 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard

3 (8-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, reserving liquid

1/4 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

From ham steak, remove rind and trim off all but 1/4-inch of outer fat. Cut ham into 4 serving pieces.
In a large saute pan set over moderately high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add ham steaks and saute for 3 minutes on each side, until steaks are lightly browned. Transfer ham steaks to plate.
Blot the pineapples as dry as possible. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to saucepan. Add pineapple and saute until the edges begin to caramelize, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pineapple and reserve. Add orange and pineapple juices to the pan and reduce by 1/2, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Whisk in Dijon and whole-grain mustards. Transfer ham steaks back into saute pan. Add caramelized pineapple chunks and toss. Heat through thoroughly. Season, to taste.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

106February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, you are making me hungry for ham. That sounds like a great way to serve a ham steak.

107February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Norm, but.....NO he's a real stick in the mud about ham. Normally I would fix it with scalloped potatoes and we'd be happy but he's on a 'low carb' kick right now. He doesn't like any fruit with his meats.....I love the idea of pineapple & mustard, apples, pears, apricot jam and plums. But he just doesn't care for it.

So, I ended up doing a sprinkle of dry mustard and brown sugar ~ wanted to counteract some of the saltiness. It was good tasting, but I would have loved to have a sauce to moisten it up a bit.

Oh, well, it's my cross to bear.....LOL

Worse than the ham was the super dry garnet sweet potato. It couldn't have been any dryer if I had served it with sand. No matter how much butter was used, it was still dry and pretty tasteless.

Thank heavens I saved the day and had his favorite, lima beans!

But it's not like he's going to go looking for a new cook!

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 02_15_11

108February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dr. day for me and Tina.
Had the leftover chicken soup, and slice of pizza heated in the toaster oven. Tina had just the soup.

bethk likes this post

109February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My body must be craving protein lately.....second time in a couple weeks that I made tuna salad for my lunch......

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 02_16_11

110February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:My body must be craving protein lately.....second time in a couple weeks that I made tuna salad for my lunch......

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 02_16_11

What are the ingredients in your tuna salad? I'm thinking to make some for this LENT season, there will be fish or shrimp Fridays starting tomorrow Ash Wednesday

111February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

What are the ingredients in your tuna salad? I'm thinking to make some for this LENT season, there will be fish or shrimp Fridays starting tomorrow Ash Wednesday

I use the water packed albacore tuna in a pouch, drained of any excess water ~ the small size (2.6 oz.), two stalks of celery finely minced, 2 hard cooked eggs chopped fine and enough Miracle Whip (or, if you prefer, mayonnaise) to hold it all together....probably 1/4 c. Mix it all and I find it's enough for 2 lunches for me.

Dane prefers HIS tuna salad with just tuna and Miracle Whip.

So, it's all personal taste.

My friend makes her tuna salad like mine, using mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip and adds some thawed green peas.

I started adding hard cooked eggs because when I was growing up we raised chickens for the eggs so they were always available. Mom would use one can of tuna (which probably cost $0.25 at the time) and would 'stretch' it with the addition of half a dozen eggs. Keep in mind, the can of tuna was probably 8 oz. or more, I don't remember for sure. And Mom only had Miracle Whip so I grew up thinking it was the same as mayonnaise ~ didn't learn any differently until I was in my 20's!

112February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

I use the water packed albacore tuna in a pouch, drained of any excess water ~ the small size (2.6 oz.), two stalks of celery finely minced, 2 hard cooked eggs chopped fine and enough Miracle Whip (or, if you prefer, mayonnaise) to hold it all together....probably 1/4 c.  Mix it all and I find it's enough for 2 lunches for me.

Dane prefers HIS tuna salad with just tuna and Miracle Whip.  

So, it's all personal taste.

My friend makes her tuna salad like mine, using mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip and adds some thawed green peas.

I started adding hard cooked eggs because when I was growing up we raised chickens for the eggs so they were always available.  Mom would use one can of tuna (which probably cost $0.25 at the time) and would 'stretch' it with the addition of half a dozen eggs.  Keep in mind, the can of tuna was probably 8 oz. or more, I don't remember for sure.  And Mom only had Miracle Whip so I grew up thinking it was the same as mayonnaise ~ didn't learn any differently until I was in my 20's!

Remember the Sandwich spread; with the minced pickles in it. We usually had that, on bologna sandwiches.
Tuna salad ( in olive oil only ) was with onions, celery, and a little onion powder, and mayo or miracle whip whatever mom had on hand. Egg salad was not mixed into tuna.

113February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had ground bologna.....chunk bologna ground with the old cast iron hand crank grinder, home canned bread & butter pickles & Miracle Whip. The bread & butter pickles were sweet pickles with onions added.

A favorite was fried bologna, yellow mustard on soft white sliced bread so the bread got grease soaked and 'gummy'......bologna had to be almost crispy and a big slice from the center to the edge so it didn't bubble up in the middle. LOL

114February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Earlier this afternoon I was unusually tired. I had putzed around all morning/early afternoon, picking up here & there and doing laundry. I laid down on the couch and got indigestion from my tuna salad lunch.....and that's when it dawned on me I may not have taken my meds this morning.

Dummy.

If it hadn't been for the slight indigestion (I take an acid blocker every morning with my meds) I would not have had any inkling as to why I was feeling so weak.

So, I took my meds about 6 hours late.....

But, on the bright side, I'm here telling about it so I didn't drop over! LOL

115February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 pm

Cookin Lore

I generally make it with Mayo, lots of black pepper, celery, cucumber, and whatever other crunchy vegetables I may have in the fridge.

PS. I'm glad you didn't roll over either! Or drop or whatever.

bethk likes this post

116February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I split a chicken breast and pounded lightly into cutlets.....buttermilk/sriracha bath & panko dredge. Leftover green beans reheated & boiled a couple yukon gold potatoes. At the last minute (well, to be honest, 25 minutes) I decided I wanted a corn muffin so I fired up the toaster oven and they were done right on time for supper.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 02_16_12

117February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 pm

Cookin Lore

Real cheater cook's dinner tonight. I have a NY strip steak in the oven in a Pyrex dish with some onion soup mix, that's been in for about an hour, then I threw in three lovely fingerling potatoes, and just now some Brussels' sprouts. Dinner all in one, including the gravy!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

118February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We always bought lunchmeats in a whole or a piece, ( which was cheaper that way ), and that way, the bologna or whatever meats, like salami, wouldn't have the skins like strings mixed in them.
Mom seemed to think the lunchmeats lasted longer uncut. ?????
She was probably right.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk likes this post

119February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Fatigue may be from your Covid shot. My sister said she was really tired too.

My mothers tuna salad was albacore, chopped bread and butter pickles, celery seed, mayo and hard boiled egg.

Saw the surgeon today and will have surgery sometime in March.

bethk likes this post

120February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wonder how Norm is doing with this arctic blast. I read where it was minus 10 in Kansas City.

121February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I wonder how Norm is doing with this arctic blast. I read where it was minus 10 in Kansas City.

Tina's cousin in Dallas Texas, said it was 14 degrees yesterday. I heard it was 4 degrees someplace in Texas. santa

It's warm here. 29 F right now.

bethk likes this post

122February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 am

NormM

NormM

We are OK The furnace is having problems keeping the house warmer than 67 in the mornings but no real problems. We got a warning that there might be rolling black outs until about 11 today. Another KC person I know had lost power for a couple of days.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

123February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I are taking her friend, Sue, to St. Augustine today.

I shouldn't mention our temperatures are in the mid 70's......but, hey, it might rain off and on......

So, no cooking going on here tonight. Everyone have a great day!

124February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 pm

Cookin Lore

Cooking for my couple here in the building today......................... Pork schnitzel, mashed potatoes/gravy and red cabbage.  Or maybe home fries, not sure yet which.

Dinner's been delivered, made mashed potatoes.  A LOT of mashed potatoes.  And, when I went to the market today, asparagus was on for $1.99/pound, so I made some of that also.  And I made a dessert.  "Lemon Party pudding".  I used to make that for my kids all the time.  It's a package of lemon pie filling, You make the meringue and the lemon filling as if you were going to make a pie, then gently fold them together.   Sending a picture of my plate to Beth.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 02_17_10

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)

125February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:50 pm

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:I never see veal in the stores out here. I suppose I would have to go to a butcher shop to find it.

I find it in Albertsons sometimes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum