Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

One of my special dishes for special company is a salmon wellington

That all looks sooooo lovely, especially the diners!  One of my special dishes for special people is a Salmon Wellington with scallop/shrimp stuffing.  It is a large recipe, and I've been thinking of making it in individual portions, and may try that in the next little while.  It is probably easier to manage a smaller portion,  "Wrapping" and serving a family size Wellington was tricky for me.

Dane said his salmon wellington was really tasty. Only criticism was, because of the pastry, it was really, REALLY filling, and RICH with a mushroom duxelle (which is probably why they served it with a mushroom sauce.....). So keep that in mind and make your servings small so everyone can still stand up after the meal is over! It probably didn't need to be served with the garlic mashed potatoes ~ he didn't eat his and I only took a taste of mine. I guess we're getting use to not having so much carb and really like when restaurants include vegetables with a protein.

152February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Cookin Lore

Yes, it's very filling, and I just serve a nice salad with it.  I just mailed you two pictures of it.  I just serve it on one of the cutting boards my son made.

Salmon wellington.

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 02_20_10

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 02_20_11

WOW! What took you so long to post those pictures, Beth? It must have been at least three minutes! LOL Thanks again!

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

153February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That was a bargain basement price. There is no way in hell we could get something like that out here for that price. I am not sure we could get a Wellington of anything anywhere. There used to be an old school restaurant in Newport that had a beef wellington but it was around $75.00, 30 years ago.

bethk likes this post

154February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have made beef wellington once and much to my surprise it turned out very well. I bet Joe and Katie would love a salmon wellington.

bethk likes this post

155February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Cookin Lore

I have not seen a Salmon Wellington on a restaurant menu here. So, when I saw a recipe in a magazine, I thought I had to try it. A lot of work, but it gets rave review all the time. OK, the three times I have made it!

bethk likes this post

156February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I have not seen a Salmon Wellington on a restaurant menu here.  So, when I saw a recipe in a magazine, I thought I had to try it.  A lot of work, but it gets rave review all the time.  OK, the three times I have made it!

Post it? If it is too much work I understand.

157February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk likes this post

158February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The older I get the more time I allow to do many kitchen tasks.  Peeling potatoes are one of those things I just allow more time for now days.  Cooking is my 'relaxing' time so I tend to try and enjoy what I'm doing.  I guess that's why I'm not a huge fan of cooking competitions where everyone has to do everything as fast as possible.  I much prefer watching someone like Ina take her time and explain along the way.

Usually, when I peel potatoes, I find myself peeling the ends (especially elongated potatoes like russets) and then going back and peeling off the middle in long strokes. And I'm with you, I use an OXO swivel peeler and love it.

159February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I have not seen a Salmon Wellington on a restaurant menu here.  So, when I saw a recipe in a magazine, I thought I had to try it.  A lot of work, but it gets rave review all the time.  OK, the three times I have made it!

Post it? If it is too much work I understand.[/quote

OOOOH NOOOO! I had this lengthy recipe all typed up, and then poof, it was gone.  Gremlins in my 'puter!  Here I go again!  

SALMON WELLINGTON WITH ARUGULA HOLLANDAISE.

Ingredients:

6 to 8 leaves of chard
2 TBSP butter
3 cups sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1/2 cup cream
6 cups spinach
salt and freshly ground pepper
8 oz scallops, chopped
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. gound ginger
pinch cayenne
i tsp. cinnamon
2 pieces skinned salmon, 1 1/2 pounds each
1 package pre-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten

ARUGULA HOLLANDAISE
1/2 cup butter
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups baby arugula, packed
salt and pepper

METHOD

Blanch chard leaes in boiling water, drain, refresh in cold water, drain again, then lay flat to be able to remove the tough stems.

Melr butter in skillet, add sliced leeks and sautee until soft, but not brown, add cream and simmer until thickened, one or two minutes, add spinach until it is wilted (I used frozen chopped) mix that well,  simmer for two or three minutes, season with salt and pepper, then mix in scallops. cool to room temperature.

Combine paprika, ginger, cayenne and cinnamon,  season salmon with salt, then sprikle bot sides with spice mixture.

Pre-heat oven to 400 F

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then place a  a 10 inch square piece of pasty  on parchment, then lay pieces of chard on that, leaving about 1 inch free.; then lay one piece of the salmon on that.

Spread the scallop/leek mixture on salmon, place second piece of salmon on top of that.

Next lay remaining chard leaves on top, tuck in around the sides

Roll remaining pastry into larger "square"  cover the salmon, tucking pastry all around to make a sealed package.
Brush with remaining eggwash, and cut some slits into the pastry.

Bake salmon for 30-35 minutes until top is golden and salmon is done.

ARUGULA HOLLANDAISE

Slowly meld butter in med pot.
Place egg yolk, arugula yogurt in food processor and process until well combined.
Slowly pour the bubbling butter through the feed tube while machine is running, sauce will thicken.  Season with salt/pepper. Serve warm.

******** This is a very large recipe, and the two pieces of salmon on top of each other made it difficult to slice nicely for serving.  However, it was FABULOUS.  The second and third times I made it, I used only one piece of salmon so the scallop mixture was just a "topping."  Equally delicious, and served very nicely..

If this disappears again I give up! LOL

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

160February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks so much! It sounds incredible!

161February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Cookin Lore

[quote="Bugster2"]Thanks so much! It sounds incredible![/quote

Thanks, yes it is incredible. The recipe came from our Ontario Liquor control Board magazine which they put out 4 times a year. No booze in this recipe, but they always suggest wines to go with whatever is featured.

I have a similar recipe that comes from a Paul Prudhomme cookbook. It is for stuffed, butterflied shrimp, I think that's even more involved and equally delicious!

162February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I did a 'copy & paste' and got it into the recipe thread for meats/poultry/seafood so if anybody else is searching for it they will be able to find it there.

Thanks!

163February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, I did a 'copy & paste' and got it into the recipe thread for meats/poultry/seafood so if anybody else is searching for it they will be able to find it there.

Thanks!

Thanks. It really is very worthwhile as a company dish. BUt, I think I'm going to adapt it as a single serving dish. I wonder how the pastry would freeze? Guess I'll find out, and maybe waste a few dollars, but I see other pastry wrapped things in the freezer sections of grocery stores. And, I surely have time.

A great part of Canada is still in lockdown. Hopefully my area will open up partially next week. Grocery stores and essential services are functioning, but regular stores are shut, schools are slowly opening again. Hair salons etc. have been closed since shortly before Christmas. I need a haircut! And want to go for a pedicure so badly.

So many businesses have closed down, restaurants trying to hang on by doing takeout and delivery. My children have been fortunate, sons are in essential services, and daughters-in-law have been working from home.

But, this is a cooking site, and I've been doing a lot of that lately!

164February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I've used the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets for things ~ thawed, formed and then re-frozen and it was just fine. It's certainly worth a try to have it in the freezer, ready to thaw and go for a meal for one.

165February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ever since mentioning it to Jimmy, I've had my mouth set for BLT Pasta.....tonight I altered it a bit and added a small chicken breast, cut into small bits and browned before the bacon (they both get cooked and removed/reserved).

I used the Trader Joe's linguini pasta because I like the taste of it better than the grocery store varieties. And I had a minor thrill ~ when I opened the package and pulled out a handful I weighed it on my kitchen scale and it came out to exactly 4.0 oz., just what the recipe calls for. It takes so little to amuse myself! LOL

To me, the best part is the sprinkle of buttered toasted panko crumbs sprinkled on top of each serving. HE always wants to cut back on his carbs so he skipped the breadcrumbs. To each his own.

166February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had hot dogs with cheese, chili sauce, and onions, on a split top buns.
Chocolate ice cream later. Tina had mashed potatoes with chili sauce on top.

bethk likes this post

167February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had hot dogs with cheese, chili sauce, and onions, on a split top buns.

were they 'crunchy' hot dogs (with skins) and Jimmy's homemade Greek style chili sauce? I think I still have one small container in the freezer from the last time I made a batch. It's such good stuff!

168February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:22 pm

Cookin Lore

London Broil, spiced potato and squash chunks done in the oven tonight.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

169February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had hot dogs with cheese, chili sauce, and onions, on a split top buns.

were they 'crunchy' hot dogs (with skins) and Jimmy's homemade Greek style chili sauce?  I think I still have one small container in the freezer from the last time I made a batch.  It's such good stuff!

They were crunchy ... *pop / snap* hot dogs....yes! and the sauce was
Tony Packos' hot dog sauce. Very good, but not as tasty as the Greek style sauce that I make! ( reviewing and trying quite a few other chili sauce recipes, and then producing my own. )

bethk likes this post

170February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Publix to get a rotisserie chicken.....had to wait 10 minutes for the fresh ones to be done & pulled. I had a sheet pan of tri color carrots, parsnips & onions ready to go into the oven and some cut asparagus sitting in the microwave to cook on high for 3 minutes.

I should have suggested to Dane he preheat the oven for me but I don't think he knows how to turn it on and set the temperature.....he can rewire the whole house but the oven confuses him.........LOL

February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 02_21_12

171February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made salmon wellington. Not with Lore's recipe because I didn't have the ingredients. This recipe just used a sort of creamed spinach for topping. It turned out great. The crust wasn't soggy and perfectly browned. I made an herb butter sauce to go with it. Rice pilaf as a side.

172February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Cookin Lore

No picture, Bugster?

I made another dish from my Indian book today. Something called Murgh Jalfrezi (chicken curry with peppers) Very good and I will make it again. It called for chicken breast, I used skinless, boneless thighs because that's what I had. Very good, but I'm getting tired of rice. LOL

I am enjoying the flavours of the Indian cooking, but was not aware that most of their foods are generally in one pot. sending a picture to Beth. Thanks.

173February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Ever since mentioning it to Jimmy, I've had my mouth set for BLT Pasta.....tonight I altered it a bit and added a small chicken breast, cut into small bits and browned before the bacon (they both get cooked and removed/reserved).  

I used the Trader Joe's linguini pasta because I like the taste of it better than the grocery store varieties.  And I had a minor thrill ~ when I opened the package and pulled out a handful I weighed it on my kitchen scale and it came out to exactly 4.0 oz., just what the recipe calls for.  It takes so little to amuse myself!  LOL

To me, the best part is the sprinkle of buttered toasted panko crumbs sprinkled on top of each serving.  HE always wants to cut back on his carbs so he skipped the breadcrumbs.  To each his own.

What is BLT pasta?

174February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:34 pm

NormM

NormM

We had beef tenderloin marinated in a Oyster based sauce with asparagus and rice. The recipe said to have it with spinach but we chose asparagus instead.February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 20210213
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 20210215
February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 20210214

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

175February 2021 - New winter ideas? - Page 7 Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Cookin Lore

In my very biased opinion, asparagus is ALWAYS the better choice! looks great.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum