Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2021 - New winter ideas?

+3
Bugster2
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Cookin Lore

What's new this month? I have no idea about supper today. Snowing a bit here.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

2February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I haven't got a clue of what to cook for supper......

Maybe chicken?

Maybe burgers?

Maybe pork tenderloin?

I'm in a funk ~ NOTHING sounds good........

((help !))

3February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Freezer perusal over.......

Knockwurst with sauerkraut.

(( sometimes I 'play' a little game, "what is the first thing you see?", and that's what I did. ))

4February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:53 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Freezer perusal over.......

Knockwurst with sauerkraut.

(( sometimes I 'play' a little game, "what is the first thing you see?", and that's what I did.  ))

Freezer perusal for me also, there was a London Broil. So, that's going to be it, done in the oven, a Hallelback potato, and some broccoli.

A note about what is called a Kockwurst in North America. In Germany it's a Knackwurst. "Knack" because of the way the skin expands, and makes a noise as it splits. "Knacken" is the sound of something cracking like a branch, or even when someone cracks their knuckles.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

5February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got a mail from some site on how to roast a whole chicken with crispy skin in 18 minutes. Sounds too good to be true but I am going to try it sometime.

6February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I got a mail from some site on how to roast a whole chicken with crispy skin in 18 minutes. Sounds too good to be true but I am going to try it sometime.

Sounds a little off to me ~ don't know I believe it.  I much prefer roasting a whole chicken for an hour or more.....

OK, you got my curiosity going......is this the recipe? https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/quick-roast-chicken

I still think I'd go a bit longer, even if they are saying to use a 2 1/2 lb. to 3 lb. chicken and de-bone as much as possible.

I might agree if it was completely de-boned the way 'my man, Jacques', did but I don't think he ever considered roasting it flat on the oven floor......

interesting.....

7February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have seen 'my man, Jacques' suggest a chicken cooks faster if you cut into the wing and thigh and leg joints. Makes sense. (I've tried it and it does cut down on the 'pink-at-the-joint' problem I hate to see on my cooked chickens.

8February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since we had a 'cold front' blow in today a supper of knockwurst & sauerkraut seemed really tasty.  Growing up we always had boiled potatoes with anything sauerkraut and would 'fight' over the juices to drizzle over our mashed up potatoes.  Love it to this day!

It drives me crazy when people who don't know try to convince someone sauerkraut is made with vinegar......fermented is NOT pickled! (( have they no taste buds??? ))

February 2021 - New winter ideas? 02_01_12

9February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Cookin Lore

I had a London Broil, oven roasted potatoes cut in chunks, and some chanterelle mushrooms with onions.  YUMM! I sent a picture to Beth! YUMM!

10February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hungry Persons Salisbury steak dinner, and a salad of greens.

bethk likes this post

11February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Had a couple bites of a leftover ham sandwich for dinner.

12February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:39 am

Cookin Lore

Roasting a chicken in 18 minutes? That's not even enough time to get the lovely fragrance into the kitchen! Now I have chicken lurking on my taste buds, so that's going to be dinner.!

bethk likes this post

13February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. London broil, oven roasted potatoes and chanterelle mushrooms and onions. I love chanterelles and can’t get them very often. But, I basically love mushrooms!"

February 2021 - New winter ideas? 02_01_13

14February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wants to cook breaded sliced thin veal. We shall see!

bethk likes this post

15February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Simple supper of burger patty & yellow summer squash with onion.......

February 2021 - New winter ideas? 02_02_18

16February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well. . . . . the veal didn't happen.
I had wonton noodles in soup. Tina had mashed potatoes.
booo hooo. We had over 24 inches of snow, and Maria was cleaning and shoveling all day.

Admin likes this post

17February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got some ribs for supper tonight. Planning to do them in the oven.......baked potato & green beans as sides.

18February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Cookin Lore

Today is my day of cooking for Dave and Dyanna in the building. Caesar salad, pan fried, crusted halibut, freshly made tartar sauce and oven roasted vegetables, potatoes, carrots, butternut squash and onions. I think I went overboard on the veggies, hope they like them.

19February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've found if friends AREN'T doing the cooking they are very open and appreciative of extra 'surprise' vegetables.  Your menu sounds wonderful to me.

20February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim came to share one of his favorite meals.......no complaints heard!

February 2021 - New winter ideas? 02_03_11

21February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

No one cooking today. I threw in a frozen pot pie for dinner. Talked to my sister today. She had to replace some sewer lines to the tune of $40,000. I almost passed out. They were old clay pipes from a hundred years ago. When I hear that I just want to rent.

22February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Veal happened. Panko bread crumbs and it was mighty crispy.
Asparagus, and home made ( by ms. Tina ....macaroni salad )

bethk likes this post

23February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I never see veal in the stores out here. I suppose I would have to go to a butcher shop to find it.

24February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Before neighbor Jim left last evening he asked if we wanted to go out for Chinese tonight.....so ~ no cooking is on my menu!

25February 2021 - New winter ideas? Empty Re: February 2021 - New winter ideas? Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 pm

Cookin Lore

No cooking for me either, unless you think taking some shepherds' pie out of the freezer and throwing it in the oven is cooking.. The last time I made it for my couple here in the building, I made an extra one and froze it. Smelling good in here!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum