Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I'm reheating the leftover beef tenderloin in my new Sous Vide to see how leftovers taste reheated without over cooking.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_26_11

Lyn got a new Cuisinart Air Fryer so she offered me first dibs on her Breville Convection Toaster Oven.......ah, YES!  Baking potatoes for supper.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_26_12

Does the Breville have an air fryer?

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
Does the Breville have an air fryer?

It has convection (air fan) so, yes, I'm thinking it can be used as an air fryer.  I checked the website and right now they are sold out of the air fry baskets that slide in.  I'll be on watch for when they are again available.  (It's only $13.49 so I'm thrilled it's such an inexpensive addition)

My Andrea has had the same Breville for years, is on her third one, I think.  She uses it ALL THE TIME ~ bakes, broils, toasts, reheats.....lots of '1 pan of cookies' baked in it for when she just wants a few for Tori or Jim.  It's nice because, unlike my Delongi Toaster Oven (which I also was gifted from Lyn) it is large enough to fit a quarter sheet pan for baking.

One of the absolute NICEST features on the Breville Toaster Oven are the magnets in the door that pull the toaster rack out half way without having to touch the hot rack. It's a great design feature and one all toaster ovens should have. When I was looking for the accessories for the Breville I found out it's an Australian made product. Interesting.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've had frost for the last two mornings ~ thank goodness the wind disappeared and it's just cool, not frigid. Dane no longer covers EVERY plant on the property but he does like to keep some of the things in our courtyard protected from the effects of the frost. By 9:30 a.m. he'll have the covers removed as it will be in the low 40's once the sun is high enough in the sky.

We had frost on the roofs

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_10

He wants to be sure his hot pepper plants, still producing after being planted LAST spring, are protected.....and, yes, that IS a beach towel! LOL

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_11

Palm pods that fall off the tree make great protection to keep the frost from wilting the pansies and other blooming plants we have this time of the year.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_12

All the beach blankets, painting tarps & spare sheets get used to cover the producing green beans and peas, as well as my herbs that he thinks need cover.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have the Breville Smart Oven Air in my closet. It was put there when I was given a Wolf countertop oven from my sister. I tried the air fryer feature but wasn't impressed. I think I only used it for frozen fries. It didn't do any better job than my oven. I couldn't think of anything else to air fry. I love all of the other features except for the toaster. It really only toasts one side and takes forever. If you bake bread, the proofing mode works great. I found the auto tray pull out only works some of the time. It has a light which is great.
The Wolf, on the other hand costs twice as much. It is superior to the Breville in most ways except that it also doesn't do good toast, the temp of the proofing feature is not adjustable, no air fry but it has convection. The biggest complaint I have is that it has no light. I posted reviews of the Wolf on several sites saying that for $600 you should get a light. Wolf listened. They raised the price and added a light. LOL.

bethk

bethk
Admin

A convection oven will air fry vegetables. The basket just makes it easier to get more air flow all around. You use a high temperature to brown nicely ~ I usually put mine at 450° to 475°.

I did cauliflower for Christmas dinner. I also do broccoli, carrots & parsnips, green beans & mushrooms, squash, zucchini & onions....just about any vegetable is more interesting, IMO, when its roasted / air fried.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have the Oscar ???....no wait... Otis ???.... Darn, I can't remember !!!!
Looks like I gotta get off my butt and go look.
"OSTER!" ..... Oh dummy me!.....
Oster is an convection oven with a little fan to move the air around.
It does cook with even heat better, but it is not a fryer / cooker.
Looking at the pic from Beths post of the 'Breville', I don't think it is an air fryer.
We have an Philips Air fryer, and it blows with a powerful fan, super hot air
onto the food like at 390 degrees F.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Maria does the beans / asparagus and most veggies in the toaster oven. Tina and I are old school boil em till fork tender. L O L

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for dinner. After all the food, I am still full.
I did make an egg on rye with cheese and sliced butter fried ham.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 Ham__e10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhh, Jimmy ~ your sandwich reminds me of the butter fried ham sandwiches Grandma use to make for Grandpa and my uncles when they were cutting hay in the summer. I would have been in bed for the night, probably around 10:30 p.m. or 11:00 when the shifts were changing, I would wake up in my bed upstairs and suddenly smell ham frying! I would creep down the stairs and poke my head around the door to see Grandma in her apron standing at the stove.

She would smile and know I was coming for a ham sandwich ~ ham on white bread......OH, YUM!

Then, off to bed I would go. A smile on my face.

Cookin Lore

I just had two pieces of chicken, left over from last night, and the last of my lentil salad I made two days ago. THat was late lunch, so for supper think I'll have a salad. Feeling a little nostalgic and melancholy today. Cousin sent me a memory stick on which there is video from many years ago. Aunt used to film all the time....................... I saw footage of my wedding in 1962 which I did not know existed. Golly, I looked great, like a baby (I was 18) and soooo thin. My sons are apparently really impressed both with my sexy dress, and the car that we had. a navy blue 1958 Mercury Grand Prix. I'll send a picture of our wedding picture to Beth!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, an old Sunday School chum posted this on Facebook and I wondered if it sounded familiar to you:

"Made my special German Schnitz brot Bread. Got out my cousin’s baby bath tub down to mix the dough in. This enamel pan turned 78 years old. My Aunt Loretta gave it to me year ago. But it gets the job done. Started Sat. afternoon to make. It take brown sugar, prunes,dates,raisins, nuts, candy fruit mix and plenty of dynamite, as my dad called the yeast. Got it mixed and took it to basement where I had a nice fire going. Let it set all night to raise. Will got up at 3:30 a.m. started to put in loaf pans. Filled 24 pans ,but if I figure as big loaves I made 18. Started baking and 4.5 hours later they were done. Of course had to make sure it was tasty. Oh so good."

bethk

bethk
Admin

Another school friend posted a picture of her gift from her daughter ~ she retired last year and her daughter thought this was just what she needed:

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 Day_of10

A 'Day-of-the-Week' Clock! LOL

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, an old Sunday School chum posted this on Facebook and I wondered if it sounded familiar to you:

"Made my special German Schnitz brot Bread. Got out my cousin’s baby bath tub down to mix the dough in. This enamel pan turned 78 years old. My Aunt Loretta gave it to me year ago. But it gets the job done. Started Sat. afternoon to make. It take brown sugar, prunes,dates,raisins, nuts, candy fruit mix and plenty of dynamite, as my dad called the yeast. Got it mixed and took it to basement where I had a nice fire going. Let it set all night to raise. Will got up at 3:30 a.m. started to put in loaf pans. Filled 24 pans ,but if I figure as big loaves I made 18. Started baking and 4.5 hours later they were done. Of course had to make sure it was tasty. Oh so good."

Nope, never heard of it. That's like a Christmas cake.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Another school friend posted a picture of her gift from her daughter ~ she retired last year and her daughter thought this was just what she needed:

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 Day_of10

A 'Day-of-the-Week' Clock!  LOL

That's what we need. I never know what day of the week it is.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Cookin Lore like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane came up with the idea for tonight's supper. I just was at a loss. When he said, "fish", I was immediately on board.

I had grouper:

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_14

He had salmon:

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_27_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote: I love all of the other features except for the toaster. It really only toasts one side and takes forever.

Here's a pic of my toast this morning.  The default setting is '4' (which means it toasts for 4 minutes).  As I was use to doing with my Delongi toaster oven, I flip the toast for the last minute using my bamboo tongs.  Both sides came out golden.  I find no fault with this at all.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_28_12

Bugster2

Bugster2

You are l++++++uc++-----------k0y/ lucky. neither one of my Brevilles
made toast that nice. Kitten just walked on my keyboard. LOL

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Cookin Lore like this post

Cookin Lore

I am in a cooking funk, and have decided I need to broaden my horizons. Gonna start by trying a few Indian recipes. I have an Indian cookbook, I prefer to read in a book rather than on the net, so today's "job" is to read through the book for recipes that look interesting. And, possibly make a list of ingredients that I will need to get the next time I go out. We're in lockdown here except for essentials, so I'll see when I go out again.

My daughter loved Indian food, and I have some of her collected recipes too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's going to be steak onion's and peppers to make sandwiches
on brioche bread rolls.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Hi: I just posted something about my wedding in 1962. Would you add that to it?
Thanks so much."

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_28_13

"From my house to yours. This is the view from my 12th floor window. A little white dusting last night. All the BEST of the season for my cooking friends. Very scaled back Christmas Eve last night. I made chicken wings, chicken breast strips, oven roasted potatoes. Daughters in law provided sides an dessert. Our area is going into serious lockdown tomorrow as our numbers are climbing dangerously. Last night is probably the last time I will see my family for a month. Dinner was at son’s house."

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_25_22

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Salmon steak, sweet potato , cauliflower and broccoli not very ambitious or interesting, but still delicious!"

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_28_14

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got some kielbasa in my Omaha steak package. What do you do with it. I am not sure I have ever had any before.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Hi: I just posted something about my wedding in 1962. Would you add that to it?
Thanks so much."

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_28_13

"From my house to yours. This is the view from my 12th floor window. A little white dusting last night. All the BEST of the season for my cooking friends. Very scaled back Christmas Eve last night.  I made chicken wings, chicken breast strips, oven roasted potatoes. Daughters in law provided sides an dessert.  Our area is going into serious lockdown tomorrow as our numbers are climbing dangerously. Last night is probably the last time I will see my family for a month. Dinner was at son’s house."

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_25_22

Thanks so much! It seems impossible that I was that thin! I think my waist was 23 inches. I had the biggest fight with my mother about the dress. She wanted me to wear my sister's two year old dress................ but hers was the requisite long white with all the trimmings. I loved mine, and wore it many times after when we went out dancing. Those were the days, my friend................ etc.

I found two burgers in my freezer, but don't feel like having a burger, think I'm going to fry the meat and make some shepherds' pie, as I have lots of potatoes to make the mashed.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I got some kielbasa in my Omaha steak package. What do you do with it. I am not sure I have ever had any before.

Many different ways to cook it.  It's a pork (sometimes a pork/beef) sausage.  Often my Polish friends will braise it to remove some of the fat without piercing the skin because that dries it out (their words.....).  

I would cook it with sauerkraut, adding maybe a grated apple to lighten up the taste of the sauerkraut.

Or you could cut it into rounds and brown lightly and then add some sliced cabbage and onion, maybe even some carrot and cook until the cabbage is soft.  Serve with boiled potatoes on the side (or cooked in the dish.....)

Many different ways to enjoy!

Ohhhhh, what about kielbasa with pierogis? Honestly, the store bought Mrs. T's pierogi is a fine product ~ defrost in boiling water and then saute in a bit of butter ~ well, butter that you used to caramelize some onions in.....and the onions go on the pierogi.......

OR ~ browned kielbasa rounds with green beans & onions. or sausage with peppers & onions......or grilled & on a bun......

Jimmy ~ YOU take it from here..........

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took some chicken thighs out of the freezer not knowing what I was going to make.

Finally decided to just season them up and brown them in the cast iron skillet ~ they were from a large package of just thighs.....turns out there was LOTS of excess skin and fat.  After they browned on both sides I just slid the skillet into the oven to finish cooking.  Thank goodness you can't overcook a chicken thigh.  I just want the fat to cook off.

I'm going to make 'vegetable spaghetti' to go with it:  zucchini, carrots & onions stir fried in a large skillet until just tender.

And that's supper.  

It is what it is.........

And here it is:

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 9 12_28_15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum