Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:It's 4:30 in the morning, I can't sleep, and I have a problem with my laptop.  I can only see about 2/3 of my screen.  Have tried everything that this luddite can imagine.  The taskbar at the top does not show all the little icons, and the thing that is normally there for minimizing or maximizing doesn't show.  'puter is basically no good to me this way, may have to take it into the computer hospital.  Any ideas?

Lore, did you try a re-boot? (shutting it down and back up)

Sometimes that will reset the screen. But that's the best I got ~ sometimes I can call The Geek Squad at Best Buy for help over the telephone but I doubt that's an option for you in Canada.....not sure. Sounds like you somehow clicked on 'full screen' and your task bar disappeared.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Have you tried shutting it down and restarting?
have you tried to restore the pc to an earlier date?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lore.... push the button at the top on the keyboard above the number 0

F11 .... that is the full screen button.

Cookin Lore

G6t 5t f5xed n6w ' gett5ng these strange res43ts. a0 a0the 3etter+n40ber

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking.....spent over an hour looking for a couple items at the grocery store and I wasn't in a good mood it took me so long ~ WHY would you stock dried cherries with 'Snacks' ???? So stupid.

We had coupons to try a new carry-out/fast food place, Huey Magoo's. Chicken tenders, fries, slaw. The chicken was tasty, the fries (by the time I got home) were no longer crisp but did have good flavor, the slaw was OK. Unfortunately, the kids filling orders didn't check to be sure the sauce(s) were included with the orders. We had sauces here but it might have been nice, since they're new to our area, to be sure they fill the orders properly. I even saw a sign by the pick-up window as a reminder to be sure to check for complete orders.....

Oh well, no big deal but IF we ever return I'll be sure to look at our order before I leave. My bad....

NormM

NormM

Don't get me started on dumb things at the grocery store. Too late. I am already started. HyVee is the closest store to me but if it wasn't I would never go out of my way to shop there. First of all they have reserved parking all over the place including three or four places reserved for super heroes! Today, they had two entire lanes shut down for covid testing. That is not a bad thing but there are side places that they could have used. Everyone was driving around for about 5 extra minutes waiting for someone to back out and leave.

Inside they always have aisles blocked with stockers.. all the time. I remember when they did that early or late when shopping was light. They have a home delivery service and there are people filling orders for seven or eight people on one trolly. They are wide and long. Today I had to stand by one for a couple of minutes just so I could get a bag of potato chips.

They move stuff around frequently and at least one of two things are not where they were the last time.
When you find them, you often can't figure why they put it there. One time I was looking for honey in the cooking section with corn syrup, sugars and then I looked where the breakfast syrups were. When I asked where it was, the guy said he'd take me there, then had to look in a couple places before he found them... with cookies. Another time I could not find olive oil. They didn't have any with the other cooking oil. They had one kind in a small bottle and I went to another store to get some. A few days later I walked past the pasta and there they had dozens of olive oils... and lots of canned olives. Once in produce they had different kinds of apples in three parts of the store. You couldn't look through the apples and get what you wanted, you had to know to go somewhere else if all the granny smiths were a few aisles over from the red delicious.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Cookin Lore wrote:G6t 5t f5xed n6w ' gett5ng these strange res43ts.    a0 a0the 3etter+n40ber

Just thought I'd let you know this. The above was my effort of trying to type "Got it fixed, now I'm getting this."

My neighbour's grandson walked me through fixing it. It is called sticky fingers, and can be turned on accidentally quite easily. For some unexplainable reason, it is used for people who have difficulty with hand co ordination. It can be turned on/off by hitting the return bar five times in a row. When on, it uses the symbols in the top row of the keyboard.

I must have turned it on when my program was not responding and I thought that hitting the bar multiple times would wake the program up! There is sooooo much that I don't know about my computer.

RE the strange things in the grocery store, I agree. They move things around to confuse us, and they think we'll stay longer. NOPE, I just get mad and leave.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yeah......if a computer doesn't work I forgot to recommend 'adopt-a-kid' to fix it! LOL

One time when my iPhone was 'new' to me it wouldn't ring. I tried everything I could think of, changing the 'ring tone', putting the volume up, etc. I finally handed my phone to my grandson, Joshua, and asked if he could figure out what I had done.

He immediately flipped a little tiny switch on the upper left side and 'fixed' it.

And he was SO patient when he explained there was a silencer switch....."right here, Grandma".

I'm sure he was 'eye-rolling' but was polite enough to not let me see.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Don't forget when one of the young kids does the eye rolling because you/we don't understand something electronic........... Remind them that we had to teach them to wipe their behind. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Remember the other night when I said I forgot to take a pic of my meatloaf supper???

Well, HERE IT IS!

Leftovers tonight ~ since I cooked all day for tomorrow's Christmas dinner I didn't feel like making anything else so a leftover meal was just right.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 8 12_24_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

If things get hectic tomorrow and no one is on the forum posting please know I'm wishing Everyone a very Merry Christmas! May your holiday be happy, safe, healthy and full of good food!

Cookin Lore

We're going into lockdown starting Dec. 26, 12:01 am. That means restaurants closed, grocery stores only opened. Had our German Christmas eve at son's house today. Well, sort of, very scaled down. Generally it has been at my place, but because of my sciatica problem, it was moved to their house. I may just decide that that's a good idea for the future. They have so much more space than I do. And are so much younger! LOL

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Remember the other night when I said I forgot to take a pic of my meatloaf supper???

Well, HERE IT IS!

Leftovers tonight ~ since I cooked all day for tomorrow's Christmas dinner I didn't feel like making anything else so a leftover meal was just right.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 8 12_24_13

Your meatloaf looks great. I am never quite happy with the texture of mine.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 sent me an Anova Nano Sous Vide immersion circulator and water container for Christmas.  Not sure what to cook.  I've got leftover beef tenderloin......thinking I might try a simple reheat and then a sear on a cast iron grill pan.  

She loves her sous vide and normally uses it to make 'the best rib eye steak ever'.  Gotta check out some recipes on line to see what I should make.  

I do have the 'Seal-a-Meal' appliance I gave HER that she didn't use.....she just uses zip top bags and does a water displacement method to get the air out of the bag before putting the food in the water bath.  

I guess it's time to do some rearranging in the kitchen cabinet to keep everything available and handy.

Cookin Lore

I need to do some serious rearranging in my kitchen too. But, it will wait a while, since I am going to replace it in late Feb. or March, depending on when the contractor can do it. The cupboards will be changed to possibly have them more appliance friendly.

NormM

NormM

Beth, when I synced my Anova to my phone, is also added lots of recipes and temperatures for certain foods.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Just got an interesting recipe from the Thermapen people for English pork pie. I may give it a try sometime.

NormM

NormM

Thermapen has a lot of really good recipes.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes they do. I usually save most of them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm reheating the leftover beef tenderloin in my new Sous Vide to see how leftovers taste reheated without over cooking.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 8 12_26_11

Lyn got a new Cuisinart Air Fryer so she offered me first dibs on her Breville Convection Toaster Oven.......ah, YES! Baking potatoes for supper.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 8 12_26_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers supper the day after Christmas wasn't bad. Neighbor Jim had stopped by to talk to Dane this afternoon so I had the chance to invite him. He must like our 'impromptu' suppers because he usually says, "yes" to my invitation.

The beef had a slight 'leftover' taste but wasn't as much as it usually is when something is reheated in a skillet. It was just as moist and tender as it was last night. I cooked it to 123° on Christmas night and reheated it to 124° for some reason (I wasn't thinking, obviously!). And, as usual, I forgot to take a pic before I started eating so please excuse my fork! LOL

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 8 12_26_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are still rolling on the floor from over eating.
We ate well and plenty.
Beth... that Breville is a great machine. Good quality!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum