Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper is already cooked ~ The corned beef cooled down in the cooking liquid and will be easier to slice tonight before reheating. The veg will get cooked in the seasoned cooking liquid.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just took my corned beef out of the refrigerator. It's just a little thing ~ but definitely enough for three (neighbor Jim is coming for supper). I love that Grandma's electric knife slices it perfectly. I'll add a bit of the cooking liquid to keep it moist and reheat it in a warm oven while the vegetables cook in the rest of the flavorful broth.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? Getatt14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cod with rice tonight.

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight. Joe ate a burger at noon and doesn't want anything. I made a quarter batch of mac & cheese to nibble on. Started passing another kidney stone, took a quarter pain pill and five minutes later the pain was easing. Must have passed it.
My nephew and his fiance (the doctors) got a shipment of 4 chicks to put in the new coop John built (where does he find the time?). He used to have chickens when he lived in Georgia but had to give them up when he went to med school. They are so cute! They have a warmer to keep them warm and are living in a dog crate until they are big enough to go outside. Their dogs are fascinated with them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dinner was tasty and everyone had their fill.....

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_01_13

NormM

NormM

There was a coupon for 20% off on Povitica bread but only at the Strawberry Hill Bakery store. I picked up a loaf yesterday. I can re-use the coupon until the expiration date in a few weeks. Charlie ate at his cousin's last night so I had leftover sloppy joe mix, some povitica bread with a scoop of ice cream.  When you order it or get it at a retail store, it's usually around $35, but at the bakery it is about ten dollars less and then 20% off that is a good deal.  I have made it myself and it is a lot of work and may be  very slightly cheaper to make it.  I have scary stories about making it myself.  

FYI Povitica bread is a sweet bread stretched paper thin then spread with a nut paste and rolled up two ways and baked. It is a traditional Croatian holiday bread. When I was a kid and living in a predominately Croatian neighborhood (Strawberry Hill), my family was often given a loaf around Easter or Christmas by someone in the neighborhood.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:There was a coupon for 20% off on Povitica bread but only at the Strawberry Hill Bakery store. I picked up a loaf yesterday. I can re-use the coupon until the expiration date in a few weeks. Charlie ate at his cousin's last night so I had leftover sloppy joe mix, some povitica bread with a scoop of ice cream.  When you order it or get it at a retail store, it's usually around $35, but at the bakery it is about ten dollars less and then 20% off that is a good deal.  I have made it myself and it is a lot of work and may be  very slightly cheaper to make it.  I have scary stories about making it myself.  

FYI Povitica bread is a sweet bread stretched paper thin then spread with a nut paste and rolled up two ways and baked. It is a traditional Croatian holiday bread. When I was a kid and living in a predominately Croatian neighborhood (Strawberry Hill), my family was often given a loaf around Easter or Christmas by someone in the neighborhood.

Tina makes them. Slovak recipe. She fills them generally a nut mixture, poppy seed / poppy & raisin, or apricot filling. It's an all day job; from soup to nuts. It is a sweet bread.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Calling all EX Ohioans.... onk onk onk .... Now hear this
The bus will be arriving at the villages in Florida ... USA
Tina is the duty driver. Desperately needed people, to shovel snow.
Ohio will be the final destination. So....pack a lunch, and move those butts.
Last call for this shovel ready task.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Calling all EX Ohioans.... onk onk onk .... Now hear this
The bus will be arriving at the villages in Florida ... USA  
Tina is the duty driver. Desperately needed people, to shovel snow.
Ohio will be the final destination. So....pack a lunch, and move those butts.
Last call for this shovel ready task.

Hahahahaha! Ain't gonna happen with THIS Staying-in-Florida gal!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"London broil, sweet potato and a couple of cream cheese stuffed jalapeños! I was going to have broccoli but was hungry before the stuff was ready in the oven, so I had a fairly large Kohl Rabi which I like to eat raw. Put it on a white plate for a change. Lol "

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_02_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a ham steak thawed. I spread it with a bit of dijon mustard then drizzled it with some maple syrup ~ decided to add a sprinkle of brown sugar just to even out the flavors. Ended up NOT tasting sweet at all and the mustard was very muted ~ not bad at all. I just let it simmer in a low (275°) oven for about an hour. I baked a sweet potato and steamed some asparagus in the microwave.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_02_12

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My sister-in-law posted this on FB and I thought it was interesting enough to copy over here in case Norm and Debbie want to research / check it out......

(I noticed the part near the bottom where it helps with kidney stones)

"Do you know that If you boil some bay leaves in a glass of water and taste it, it will have no flavor?
Now why do you put bay leaves in the meat?
The addition of bay leaves to meat converts triglycerides to monounsaturated fats, and for experimentation and confirmation:
Cut the chicken in half and cook each half in a pan and place on one bay leaf, and the other without bay leaf and observe the amount of fat in both pans.
If you have bay leaves, there is no need for a pharmacy. Recent scientific studies have shown that bay leaves have many benefits & helps to get rid of many serious health problems and illnesses.
The benefits of bay leaf are: -
*Bay leaf treats digestive disorders and helps eliminate lumps, Heartburn, Acidity & Constipation.
*It helps regulate bowel movement by drinking hot bay tea.
*It lowers blood sugar and bay leaf is also an antioxidant
*It allows the body to produce insulin by eating it or drinking bay tea for a month.
*IT eliminates bad cholesterol and relieves the body of triglycerides.
*It's very useful in treating colds, flu and severe cough as it is a rich source of vitamin "C", you can boil the leaves and inhale steam to get rid of phlegm and reduce the severity of cough.
*Bay leaf protects the heart from seizures and strokes as it contains cardiovascular protective compounds.
*It's rich in acids such as caffeic acid, quercetin, eigonol and bartolinide, substances that prevent the formation of cancer cells in the body.
*It eliminates insomnia and anxiety, if taken before bed, helps you relax and sleep peacefully.
Drinking a cup of boiled bay leaves twice a day breaks kidney stones and cures infections ...
Just like garlic and ginger are a must find amongst my collection of spices, Bay leaves are a must see in my collection of spices too(my little spice secrets to good aroma and flavor)"

Cookin Lore likes this post

Cookin Lore

WOW! I had no idea that bay leaves were so good for us! Thanks for posting that list.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:WOW!  I had no idea that bay leaves were so good for us!  Thanks for posting that list.

I'm not SAYING it's true ~ I'm just suggesting anyone interested do some further research to check it out. I don't believe everything I read on FaceBook, to be sure! (especially if it's something from my sister-in-law......LOL)

JanaAZ

I’ve been staying at friends with 6 year old twins. Their school closed so I came to help. I decided to make some ethnic stuff while I was here DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 1ddb8110

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG.....you have my mouth watering!

I'm almost tempted to plan to make some of my own.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:WOW!  I had no idea that bay leaves were so good for us!  Thanks for posting that list.

I'm not SAYING it's true ~ I'm just suggesting anyone interested do some further research to check it out.  I don't believe everything I read on FaceBook, to be sure! (especially if it's something from my sister-in-law......LOL)

'oH NO! You mean to imply that there might be things on the internet/facebook that we shouldn/t take as gospel? I am SHOCKED! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Salad and string beans and zucchini grilled. A Dunkin doughnut for dessert.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out to the nearest Country Club Bar & Grill for supper after Dane's golf group scrambles play. It was nice to have a chance to catch up with everyone.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:We went out to the nearest Country Club Bar & Grill for supper after Dane's golf group scrambles play.  It was nice to have a chance to catch up with everyone.

That sounds great!  I am on the Social Committee in my building, normally we meet once a month and plan events.   Of course, it's also a way to keep in touch with each other.  The last meeting we had was in early March, we had planned to have Chinese food brought in for a dinner.  Sold about 50 tickets, and then of course had to cancel it.  We'd see each other occasionally in the elevator or in a hallway.  

Well, this week, we decorated our lobbies, and had a great time, keeping our distances (most of the time) and masks on all the time.  FUN!  I'll send you a picture of the lobby, Beth..  We're really pleased with it.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_04_10

THanks again, Beth. If you look at the picture closely, you'll be able to see me lurking in the mirror as I took the picture. Last year I had the idea to ask our residents to donate tree ornaments for the two lobbies and our party room. We had a fabulous response and now have decorations that are meaningful to residents/owners.

bethk

bethk
Admin

You have really good ideas to keep people involved ~ good for you!

I finally got my beef & pea pods supper ~ been hungry for it for a while. It came out really good. I did add some sliced shitake mushrooms just because I had them in the refrigerator and didn't have another use for them. So, it wasn't exactly 'traditional' but, then again, very little of what I cook is truly like any recipe.

I found myself trying to keep having the 'perfect bite' with beef, onion, mushroom & pea pod.....made a kind of game out of it.

there wasn't any conversation going on during supper......SOMEONE was watching zombies get blown away all during the meal.......

((sigh......))

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_04_12

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks for the post on the kidney stones. Just spent a couple days in the hospital with a bad case and infection. They also found a tumor in my lung. Guess I am not long for this world. Going to see a pulmonologist on Monday to arrange a biopsy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Stir fry of onions, peppers, broccoli and jumbo shrimp.

And isn’t that strange, jumbo is large and shrimp is small, so which is it????? I know, just being a pita! They were large and delicious!"

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? 12_04_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks for the post on the kidney stones. Just spent a couple days in the hospital with a bad case and infection. They also found a tumor in my lung. Guess I am not long for this world. Going to see a pulmonologist on Monday to arrange a biopsy.

Oh, dear....that sounds scary for you. I hope you get the infection cleared up and start to feel better.

Don't borrow trouble.....the "I am not long for this world" will just mess with your mind.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth. I will know more later.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum