Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks for the post on the kidney stones. Just spent a couple days in the hospital with a bad case and infection. They also found a tumor in my lung. Guess I am not long for this world. Going to see a pulmonologist on Monday to arrange a biopsy.

Maybe it's just a nodule on the lung. I have one, and the pulmonary Dr. said as long as it doesn't get bigger..... and that was two years ago; and with no growth bigger.
Sorry to hear of the stone. Can't they take it out??
Feel better soon Debbie.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Mine is large: 4.5cm. I am hoping it is only one and perhaps a lobectomy can be done. What pisses me of is that I tried to see the doctor back in April but I had to have a Covid test. I did that but never heard back about a check-up or tests. Made another request. Had another Covid test but never heard back from the doctor. I finally got an appointment with a PA and she arranged the test. I am not surprised at the results but the lack of care.
I was so sick with the stones I decided that I couldn't wait for an appointment. I would have vomited and passed out in the office and still would have had to wait for a CAT scan and no pain meds. I have never been so sick. They were very fast and gave me a coupe shots of pain meds. The first didn't work so they pulled out the big guns - Dilaudid. Instant relief. Shots of anti-nausea, IV fluids and antibiotics and a bed. They were full up but I got a single, blessed room and spent the rest of the day and night in a haze. I tried to tough it out with oxycodone and anti nausea drugs at home but got no relief. After 7 hours i woke up Joe and asked him to take me to the ER. I wasn't sure I could walk without passing out.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Thanks for the post on the kidney stones. Just spent a couple days in the hospital with a bad case and infection. They also found a tumor in my lung. Guess I am not long for this world. Going to see a pulmonologist on Monday to arrange a biopsy.

Oh, dear....that sounds scary for you.  I hope you get the infection cleared up and start to feel better.  

Don't borrow trouble.....the "I am not long for this world" will just mess with your mind.  

I agree, don't borrow trouble................... Or, as in Germany you'd say "Mal den Teufel nicht an die Wand" "Don't draw a picture of the devil on the wall"

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I'm going to vent ~ if you don't want to hear it just scroll past........

This morning Dane asked what we were having for supper (who thinks of these things before I've finished my morning coffee???) and I said, "I don't know."

He went on to mention he was thinking about having a hot turkey sandwich .

Now, today is December 5th. Thanksgiving was November 26th. That's six days PAST the 3 day leftover rule. We've been married almost 52 years and the 3-day rule has been in effect from day 1. Wouldn't you think he could remember?

I did tell him if he wanted a hot turkey sandwich to look in the garage freezer. There's a quart container with gravy in the bottom and the sliced turkey wrapped in plastic on top and the container is marked, "Hot Turkey Sandwich".

But I think tonight he's having the last chance for the leftover corned beef (which is technically the 4th day.....) and I'm hungry for tomato soup ~ Campbell's cream of tomato soup, with some crusty bakery bread I bought to use for a recipe for tomorrow for 'Million Dollar Chicken' that I saw on allrecipes.com.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Does he remember? Perhaps there's a selective memory in play?????

I have a new GIG! I am going to be preparing occasional meals for a couple here in the building. Dyanna was a member of our social committee when I first moved in here, she's had a couple of strokes and other problems, so she can't do much any more. So, I asked her husband if they are interested in having me prepare a meal occasionally. They are thrilled. They have no allergies, no particular dislikes and he said I should just surprise them. Not too spicy for her, and he can add spice if he wants. I told him that I am "not doing this just out of the goodness of my heart" and that I want him to pay for the ingredients.

I just went shopping for the vegetables that I expect to use, some I have in my fridge, like carrots and potatoes, so while at the store, I just took pictures of the prices of various veggies by weight, and I will weigh what I use. My first dinner will be a meatloaf and oven roasted vegetables. I don't expect or want to make any money from this. I cooked a stew for them a few years ago when she was not well, and they loved it, so I think they will be happy.

Of course, whatever I make for them will also be on my menu!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did meal prep for a few people when we first moved here. It got to be too much with 'friends-of-friends' wanting to get on my list.....

It's fun to do as an occasional meal, just as it's fun to have neighbor Jim come for roast chicken tomorrow night. He doesn't 'pay' for meals but takes us out to eat and he always pays for everything. I personally think it's unfair of us to let him buy every time we go out but he insists (and, quite honestly, has more than enough money to be so generous) so when I don't feel like cooking I give him a call and ask if he's in the mood to go out. We do drive so he doesn't have to and we try to pick different places that are 'outside the bubble' so he has a change of pace. It's a nice way to be neighborly.

Cookin Lore

This will not be a reciprocal kind of thing. I told him that he will be paying for the ingredients, so we'll see how it works out.

I thought of actually starting a small business in the building where I would do something like saying "Tuesday is lasagna night,Wed. is meatloaf night" and see if people wanted that, but decided that is too much work.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, making a 'business' means you are being counted on to have food on a regular basis. We're at an age when there are times we just don't feel like cooking, we have other things to do or we're just plain tired. But letting a couple know, "I'll bring supper tomorrow" is much easier. It turns into a 'treat' for them and also for you.

Tonight's tomato soup & toast was just what my mouth was watering for......

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 12_05_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

A friend of mine posted this on FB and I thought it was cute enough to share here:

"Those of you who are placing Christmas lights/decorations in your yards, would you please avoid anything that has Red or Blue flashing lights together?

Every time I come around the corner, I think it's the police and I have a panic attack. I have to brake hard, toss my wine out the window, fasten my seat belt, throw my phone on the floor, turn my radio down, and push the gun under the seat.

All while trying to drive.

It's just too much drama, even for Christmas. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."

Bugster2

Bugster2

Funny!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Got my wish.
Kielbasa with sauerkraut, potatoes and butternut squash.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 Kielba10

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Liam and pops putting the ginger house together.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 Img_1039

Aurora having silly fun!

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 Aurora10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Got my wish.

Christmas wishes DO come true! Bet you enjoyed every bite!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a gingerbread house - once. I worked my butt off putting that thing together. It turned out nice. I left it out on the kitchen counter to dry. The next morning I came downstairs to find the entire thing covered in ants. All that hard work into the trash. LOL.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I've invited neighbor Jim for roast chicken ~ Million Dollar Chicken.

I've seen Ina do something similar and thought it was time to give this recipe a try. I'll use the extra creme fraiche in a dish of scalloped potatoes and I'll make some Brussels sprouts with bacon to go along side.

In case you're interested, here's a link to the video / recipe on youtube:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233953/million-dollar-chicken/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow!..... brunch was a sandwich with Spam.
Tina had a quarter of it too!
No clue for supper. I'm going to suggest Chinese take out. We'll see.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Got my wish.

Christmas wishes DO come true!  Bet you enjoyed every bite!

Yep!!..... WAY to many bites. pig

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Spam! It gets such a bad rap......but if you research it you'll find it's NOT mystery meat but made from ham and fillers, like potato starch. It was used a lot during the second WW, if I remember my research.....

So, SPAM ~ good stuff!

(especially good if it's browned and crispy around the edges)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Spam!  It gets such a bad rap......but if you research it you'll find it's NOT mystery meat but made from ham and fillers, like potato starch.  It was used a lot during the second WW, if I remember my research.....

So, SPAM ~ good stuff!

(especially good if it's browned and crispy around the edges)

Yes..... my favorite... ( Browned and Crispy )

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a hit with both Dane & Jim. I could have made a meal from just the chicken essence infused bread that cooked under the bird in a cast iron skillet. I wish I had thought to take a pic before I hacked it up ~ it was a 'looker' for sure! I made Brussels sprouts with bacon & onion and Scalloped Potatoes that I sprinkled with cracker crumb/crispy onions.

I think I'll just roll around the house trying to relieve the fact that I over ate.....

(leftover went immediately to neighbors Darlene & Tom who found out on Friday they both tested positive for Covid. No symptoms or illness ~ just staying away from everyone.)

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 12_06_14

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 12_06_15

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 12_06_16

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 2 12_06_17

Bugster2

Bugster2

Why would your neighbors get tested for Covid if they have no symptoms? Were they around someone who got sick?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Why would your neighbors get tested for Covid if they have no symptoms? Were they around someone who got sick?

Yes. One of Tom's coworkers tested positive so they required everyone to get tested and Darlene went with him because they're together a lot. They have to wait more than 14 days to re-test and, hopefully, get negative results and, maybe, positive for the antibody thing.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Let's hope they stay well.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was delivery Italian....
Pizza calamari spaghetti with meat sauce for Tina = Ker$ching = $92.50 + $10.00 bucks delivery fee.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

OUCH!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum