Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Cookin Lore

WOW! That is a lot of $$$$
I'm eating anything that I have frozen right now. Dealing with a bad case of sciatica in my right leg. OUCH. Called my doctor's office today, she'll call me back around five today and hopefully order some painkillers and anti inflammatory magic.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, that sounds uncomfortable, to be sure.

Not making jest, but my friend, Lyn, takes TUMERIC ~ yup, that bright yellow herb used in curries ~ for her bothersome inflammation. It comes in a capsule form and she got the blessing of her doctors. You might want to check it out.

And maybe swallow the tumeric capsules with a tea made from bay leaves........

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've got a cool front coming through tonight so I thought it was a perfect opportunity for a grilled meal.  Brats, baked sweet potato, mixed vegetables and Grandma's Summer Salad with the sour cream, onion, cider vinegar & sugar dressing.

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 12_07_11

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am trying to make flan tonight. Never done it before.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hi All, I've not checked in here for months, a lot of things happens to us, my FiL passed away last August, my 90 years old MiL lives in alone ( she has early dementia, forgets things a lot), so after a careful discussion I and D decided to moved in with her, her house is big, sits on an acre+ property with bunch of plants to take care of ( my FiL liked gardening ). Everything is happening so fast, we moved in a week before Thanksgiving day, meanwhile we have our house cleaned, and last week we have an offer on our house, we haven't accepted the offer yet, next week we'll have a walk through and make a decision on it.

So far we like it here, she is a nice and easy to get along, I cooked everyday and she eats whatever on the table, she still makes her own breakfast (cereal/oatmeal/toasts), does her own laundry, occasionally I'd cooked full breakfast for us. Her freezer is full of meat, sausage, ribs, chicken breast, beef, ground beef, pork chops, everything, so far, I've not bought meat yet, I'm cooking whatever we have in her freezer. D likes spending time in the yard, taking care of the plants, some of them were half dead because for the last few months nobody took care of them.

Yesterday I cooked some Chinese food, and she loves it. Fried Wonton and Stir fried vermicelli with beef and shrimps

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 12995211
DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 12990112

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Imelda. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Father in-law.
Great to hear from you, and wish you have a good offer for your house.
The food looks delicious. God Bless you and your families.

Imelda HL likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:WOW!  That is a lot of $$$$
I'm eating anything that I have frozen right now.  Dealing with a bad case of sciatica in my right leg.  OUCH.  Called my doctor's office today, she'll call me back around five today and hopefully order some painkillers and anti inflammatory magic.  

Lore, Tina is going through the same thing. There is no pain killer to help sciatica the Dr said. The trick, is to reduce the swelling and inflamation of the nerve. She is using ice pack three times.....30 minutes on, then one hour off, same for two more times. She was moving furniture by herself, and she pinched the nerve. You have to rest. Feel better.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A garden salad, with a can of sardines, and a 1/2 pita bread.
A beer ( nip size ) Coors Light, to wash it all down.
Ice cream for dessert.
Tina had a Tbs of canned mackerel in olive oil, and 1/2 slice of white bread.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Hi All, I've not checked in here for months, a lot of things happens to us, my FiL passed away last August, my 90 years old MiL lives in alone ( she has early dementia, forgets things a lot), so after a careful discussion I and D decided to moved in with her, her house is big, sits on an acre+ property with bunch of plants to take care of ( my FiL liked gardening ). Everything is happening so fast, we moved in a week before Thanksgiving day, meanwhile we have our house cleaned, and last week we have an offer on our house, we haven't accepted the offer yet, next week we'll have a walk through and make a decision on it.

So far we like it here, she is a nice and easy to get along, I cooked everyday and she eats whatever on the table, she still makes her own breakfast (cereal/oatmeal/toasts), does her own laundry, occasionally I'd cooked full breakfast for us. Her freezer is full of meat, sausage, ribs, chicken breast, beef, ground beef, pork chops, everything, so far, I've not bought meat yet, I'm cooking whatever we have in her freezer. D likes spending time in the yard, taking care of the plants, some of them were half dead because for the last few months nobody took care of them.

Yesterday I cooked some Chinese food, and she loves it. Fried Wonton and Stir fried vermicelli with beef and shrimps

Dirk's mother must be so happy to have you and Dirk there with her. How wonderful for her that she is able to stay in the home that is familiar to her as her dementia attempts to take over. You've always mentioned how much she enjoys your cooking. You get to play the game, "I wonder what is in THIS package" ~ something we've all done at one time or another.

Enjoy your new adventure!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

How wonderful for your mother-in-law that you have moved in with her. My sister and bother-in-law did that for my mom also and it worked out fine. There will be hiccups, but hopefully also much joy.
I know that my children will not be moving into my one bedroom condo! LOL

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is working today so I'm without a car. Neighbor Jim called to leave a message for Dane and I mentioned I needed to go to Sam's Club but laughed about not being able to get there in my golf cart. He said he planned to go there today so he'd pick me up.

He wanted to buy lobster for us to have before Christmas ~ so that's why he was going. I wanted to get a prime beef tenderloin for our Christmas dinner with Lyn & Bill and a couple other friends and while I was there I decided to get a big package of chicken breasts I'm out of and then saw some really nice looking chuck roasts (2/package).

When we got to the check out line Jim insisted in buying EVERYTHING I selected. I argued with him (I'm sure we sounded like an old married couple to people around us). He said to consider it MY Christmas present for all the meals he eats at our house.

How do you thank people who are so generous? When he comes for a meal it's not like it's anything 'special' ~ just regular every day meals that I'm cooking for the two of us anyway.

And I get a real thrill having someone really enjoy my meals ~ so maybe it's OK......

I do have to make some stuffed cabbage rolls for him soon. He's Polish and loves anything made with cabbage. So that'll be on my menu rotation for sometime in January, I think.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Dane is working today so I'm without a car.  Neighbor Jim called to leave a message for Dane and I mentioned I needed to go to Sam's Club but laughed about not being able to get there in my golf cart.  He said he planned to go there today so he'd pick me up.

He wanted to buy lobster for us to have before Christmas ~ so that's why he was going.  I wanted to get a prime beef tenderloin for our Christmas dinner with Lyn & Bill and a couple other friends and while I was there I decided to get a big package of chicken breasts I'm out of and then saw some really nice looking chuck roasts (2/package).

When we got to the check out line Jim insisted in buying EVERYTHING I selected.  I argued with him (I'm sure we sounded like an old married couple to people around us).  He said to consider it MY Christmas present for all the meals he eats at our house.  

How do you thank people who are so generous?  When he comes for a meal it's not like it's anything 'special' ~ just regular every day meals that I'm cooking for the two of us anyway.  

And I get a real thrill having someone really enjoy my meals ~ so maybe it's OK......

I do have to make some stuffed cabbage rolls for him soon.  He's Polish and loves anything made with cabbage.  So that'll be on my menu rotation for sometime in January, I think.

My question regarding generosity of your friend is "Who is generous here? He, because he insists on paying for the purchases, or you for including him in a meal that you say is nothing in nothing special"?

I think it's both of you, and it's wonderful So, give yourself a nice pat on the back and have a great meal with him again.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for supper.
Uncle Elmer was all in a tizzy, to get his car inspected ( State emissions only ).

She travels down to uncles, and gathers all the necessary credentials

One hour drive to uncles, then 30 minute drive to NJMV center.
The woman said, take care; see you next year in December. ????????
The sticker was good till 12 / 2021.
Poor Tina is on he way home. She is in pain with her sciatica. Doesn't even feel like shopping for presents for the kids.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I kept out one of the boneless chicken breasts to slice up for chicken fingers. Marinated them in buttermilk & sambal oeleck (the garlic chili paste) and then pressed on the panko & let them sit in the refrigerator, uncovered, to dry out and absorb the moisture into the panko so it stays stuck to the chicken when they saute. Made buttered noodles and steamed broccoli in the microwave (only takes 3 minutes).

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 12_08_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Sloppy Joes. My cousin Donna's recipe from the years ago school cafeteria recipe.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had a smoked turkey thigh in my freezer, took that out, put about half of it in a casserole dish, topped it with sauerkraut, threw in a potato, and roasted it in the oven. YUMMY! That's about all I could manage to do considering the pain with my sciatica. Doc ordered some Naproxen, but it doesn't touch the pain. She said I could supplement with Tylenol, so my neighbour got me a big boxs of that. It helps, but doesn't take in away totally.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Probably the best thing is to rest and stay quiet.....maybe alternate heat/cool. Hope it lets up soon.

Cookin Lore

Thanks................ Netflix is good to have, and I'm using up some of my stash of crochet yarns!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The other night I used up my refrigerator supply of Grandma's vinegar syrup I use for salad dressings.  It's just so convenient to have the sugar & vinegar dissolved together to add to sour cream, mayonnaise or just oil for a quick salad dressing.

I decided to make it in the microwave in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup so when it's cool I can easily pour it into a plastic storage bottle ~ truth be told, I use a clean Gatorade bottle!

One cup of cider vinegar, one cup of white sugar.....cook on high for 3 minutes until it boils, stir until all the sugar is dissolved ~ cool.

Man, I forgot how much that stuff stinks up the kitchen!  I have the measuring cup sitting outside in the courtyard to cool and have the stove vent on high and both patio doors open to bring in some fresh air.  LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Probably the best thing is to rest and stay quiet.....maybe alternate heat/cool.  Hope it lets up soon.

I hope it calms down for Lore also. Tina is in pain now. Her problem is, she can't sit and rest. She went to the chiropractor this am, and after that.....she went to the three stores, and the post office.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I hope it calms down for Lore also. Tina is in pain now. Her problem is, she can't sit and rest. She went to the chiropractor this am, and after that.....she went to the three stores, and the post office.

((  SIGH  ))

head shaking........

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made this fried steaks yesterday, I had this leaflet of magazine since 20 years ago, I forgot about it until I found it when I sorted my files before we moved, so yesterday I decided to cook it, they ( the magazine ) called it Javanese Steak, it's fried cube steak, meat was marinated in soy sauce + cider vinegar + grated nutmeg + brown sugar + black pepper, then fried in butter + canola oil. It turned out really good, the nutmeg really cranked up the flavor

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 13054410
DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 13086310
DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 13086610

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Just because today is Wednesday, we fancied a good breakfast Cool Laughing  I made some Quesadilla with ham, cheese and eggs, it was so good. Tuna and noodles casserole is on  my mind for supper, I saw a big pack (Costco) of unopened canned tuna in the pantry, I need to make a good used on them

DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 13074510
DECEMBER. 2020 ~ What's going on YOUR table? - Page 3 13075410

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda ~ I cannot tell you how much it means to have you BACK! Your pictures are always so beautiful and wonderful.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Papa John's is cooking tonight.

Dane mentioned he wanted pizza and it's been on my mind ever since!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum