Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2020

+3
Crybaby
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1February 2020 Empty February 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am

Cookin Lore

New, short month.

Cooked a Hungarian goulash last night. From Sheila Lukins' "All around the World" cookbook. It turned our really good. I was surprised at the amount and number of different vegetables in it.

My sis and I go to a local restaurant which serves a really good Hungarian goulash, and it is basically meat. This one had onion, red and green pepper, 2 potatoes, tomatoes, and just 'cause I like them, I threw in some mushrooms. Very Happy

2February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds good, Lore.  It's always fun to add those ingredients (like the mushrooms) you like in just about any recipe you make.

3February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I made chili for dinner tonight.
February 2020 20200126
February 2020 20200125

Looks good, Norm. Looks like you use chopped beef instead of ground beef like me. I'm really picky about my chili. Too many people seem to make what I see as spaghetti sauce with chili powder in it.

My hands are always sore when I make chili from cubing all the beef and pork that I use. But it's worth it in the end as the texture of the chili is wonderful. I've been in a chili mood lately, too, but have yet to act on it. Superbowl would've been a good time for it but I just didn't get around to going to the store to get what I needed so it'll wait to be made down the line.

4February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made Chicken Parmesan for dinner tonight. Served it with pappardelle and fresh peas I found in the produce section. Brian's not a pea lover so I got to eat them all. Delicious.

I took some skirt steak out of the freezer today. I'm planning to make some chili lime steak fajitas soon. I've been thinking of fajitas for a while now and figured the skirt steak I found in the meat section a while back would be perfect for them, as I think the skirt steak would be more tender AND flavorful than flank steak would. I like fajitas with corn tortillas instead of the flour ones, as I just think they have more flavor...

5February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane was painting and changing out electrical outlets/switches all day today. I went to Ladies' Lunch and then came home and worked on some stuff for the Social Club meeting that's coming up on Monday evening.

So, hotdogs and chips it was.....hey, I never said my homemade meals were goumet! LOL

February 2020 02_01_11

6February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Now, I want hot dogs!

Had simple fried spaghetti in oil and butter with brussels sprouts.

February 2020 Img_1718

7February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I made Chicken Parmesan for dinner tonight. Served it with pappardelle and fresh peas I found in the produce section. Brian's not a pea lover so I got to eat them all. Delicious.

I took some skirt steak out of the freezer today. I'm planning to make some chili lime steak fajitas soon. I've been thinking of fajitas for a while now and figured the skirt steak I found in the meat section a while back would be perfect for them, as I think the skirt steak would be more tender AND flavorful than flank steak would. I like fajitas with corn tortillas instead of the flour ones, as I just think they have more flavor...

That surely is a lot of work cutting the (diced) meats for chili. Well worth it though. I have an old oster meat grinder that has a large die plate that cuts course size pieces. It's a hand saver. No

8February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Now, I want hot dogs!

Had simple fried spaghetti in oil and butter with brussels sprouts.

Are you SURE you're not going vegetarian on us???

Actually, I love it when you eat healthy. Makes me think you're taking care of yourself ~ and that makes me smile! February 2020 911454047

9February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:38 am

Cookin Lore

Looks good, Norm. Looks like you use chopped beef instead of ground beef like me. I'm really picky about my chili. Too many people seem to make what I see as spaghetti sauce with chili powder in it.

I have never used cubed meat for chili, probably have never eaten it that way either. But, you're right. I think of it as spaghetti sauce with chili powder and beans in it. YUMMY! Next time I make it, I will use cubed meat. Chili was not something I grew up with, but learned to love while working in my high school cafeteria.

We were lucky in that in our high school, cafeteria food was all made on site, and students who volunteered got to eat lunch free. We could volunteer for two weeks, then two weeks off. There were two lunch shifts, a great help for students who didn't have much money. We got to have a main, a drink and a dessert. My drink was generally a red pop (cream soda) dessert potato chips or an ice cream sandwich. Main fav. was chili or meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

10February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our elementary and high schools had the same opportunities, Lore. In grade school I gave up a morning recess to work in the cafeteria ~ fabulous farm lady cooks who could make that government issue food taste like gourmet.

In high school all the spots for servers were taken by the athletes ~ guys who really needed a good meal at least once a day and probably couldn't afford to 'buy' every day. The school cooks made sure they got enough to fill them!

11February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Cookin Lore

Potatoes were peeled by hand!  Dr. Asselbergs had not invented the instant mashed yet.  BTW, I had this inventor/chemist as a customer in our fireplace shop.  He lives (or lived) in St. Catharines.  When he came into our shop, he was driving a very nice little Mercedes.  I commented on the car and he said "That's what instant mashed potatoes gets you, and my wife has another one just like it!"

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+invented+instant+mashed+potatoes&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=Who+invented+instant+mashed+potatoes&aqs=chrome.0.35i39.15039j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

12February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:

I have never used cubed meat for chili, probably have never eaten it that way either.  But, you're right.  I think of it as spaghetti sauce with chili powder and beans in it.  YUMMY!  Next time I make it, I will use cubed meat.  Chili was not something I grew up with, but learned to love while working in my high school cafeteria.

We were lucky in that in our high school, cafeteria food was all made on site, and students who volunteered got to eat lunch free.  We could volunteer for two weeks, then two weeks off.  There were two lunch shifts, a great help for students who didn't have much money.  We got to have a main, a drink and a dessert.  My drink was generally a red pop (cream soda) dessert potato chips or an ice cream sandwich. Main fav. was chili or meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  

I don't make chili 'cause none of us can eat it anymore, but I used to have my chuck ground at the store in what is called a "chili grind". I used to work at a place that had an annual chili cook-off. One thing I learned is that no one ever used ground meat - it was always a fine mince. I don't know if this was just a local trend or if it the norm for all chili cook-offs. I can still laugh at the names of some of the teams names - "Fast-Gasss" was one.

13February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Would you believe, Tina suggested chili for supper. Who knows with super bowl today?
I know we have those little hot dogs in the wraps to bake!
Chiefs are the team we are rooting for.

14February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Cookin Lore

I just visited fishing son................... came home with some frozen Lake Erie Perch. "Mom, we have to eat all the fish from the freezer, 'cause I can't go fishing until last year's catch is all gone." No argument from me here! So, it's fish tonight. YUMM!

15February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I just visited fishing son................... came home with some frozen Lake Erie Perch.  "Mom, we have to eat all the fish from the freezer, 'cause I can't go fishing until last year's catch is all gone."  No argument from me here!  So, it's fish tonight.  YUMM!

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! You're killin' me! I'm SO JEALOUS! LOL

16February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made some ghee today. I was hoping to get some type of spreadable butter. I got it but I need to add some salt. Most of the salt in the butter went south to the bottom of the pan. I can't say I would like to eat it unmelted. It has a texture that I don't care for but using it on toast or vegetables would be fine. I have a butter bell but the butter has a tendency to drop out of the top into the water.

17February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I pulled a 2 lb. meatloaf out of the freezer so all day I've been looking forward to tonight's supper. As long as the meatloaf was going to be in the oven I baked an acorn squash and two parsnips and one carrot. Gawd, but it's good to have home cooked meals again!

February 2020 02_02_14

18February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe is having a porterhouse steak and a baked potato. Katie is having last night's shrimp and a baked potato. I am having a couple of bites of Joe's steak and potato.

Does anybody use a Butter Bell?

19February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I just visited fishing son................... came home with some frozen Lake Erie Perch.  "Mom, we have to eat all the fish from the freezer, 'cause I can't go fishing until last year's catch is all gone."  No argument from me here!  So, it's fish tonight.  YUMM!

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! You're killin' me!  I'm SO JEALOUS!  LOL

I'll be in Miami on Friday, cruising on Saturday................ I could maybe smuggle some frozen fish. You pick it up? LOL

20February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! You're killin' me!  I'm SO JEALOUS!  LOL

I'll be in Miami on Friday, cruising on Saturday................ I could maybe smuggle some frozen fish.  You pick it up? LOL

Ohhhhh, don't tempt me! That's a 4 1/4 hour drive ~ ~ ~ I COULD DO THAT!

((No, not really ~ not with all the stuff going on in the house......and I don't suppose it would be good if you held it in your stateroom until you returned.......no, I think the general rule is 3 days for fish......But thanks anyway! LOL))

21February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chips and dips.... Crispy chicken wings DD made in the air fryer.

22February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was reading an article from The Kitch'n where they tried 4 recipes for French onion soup. Their winner was from Serios Eats. I thought I would make a half batch and see what I thought. It was o ne of the worst tasting soups. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can put it down the garbage.

23February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was reading an article from The Kitch'n where they tried 4 recipes for French onion soup. Their winner was from Serios Eats. I thought I would make a half batch and see what I thought. It was o ne of the worst tasting soups. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can put it down the garbage.

What a bummer! ....
Uh! when you say put it down the garbage, does that mean in the disposal grinder?
I just flush it down the toilet. We are on a community town sewer system. Wink

24February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I was reading an article from The Kitch'n where they tried 4 recipes for French onion soup. Their winner was from Serios Eats. I thought I would make a half batch and see what I thought. It was o ne of the worst tasting soups. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can put it down the garbage.

Bugs, was it the recipe for Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée? I just looked at that and didn't see anything in the recipe that would make a bad tasting soup. The recipe called for 'true' caramelized onions, homemade chicken stock, a suggestion of a bit of fish sauce and cider vinegar.....nothing that would be off-putting. Can you post the recipe you used?

Now you have me curious.....

Here's a link to the recipe I saw:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/french-onion-soup-recipe.html

25February 2020 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:

Bugs, was it the recipe for Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée?  I just looked at that and didn't see anything in the recipe that would make a bad tasting soup.  The recipe called for 'true' caramelized onions, homemade chicken stock, a suggestion of a bit of fish sauce and cider vinegar.....nothing that would be off-putting.  Can you post the recipe you used?  

Now you have me curious.....

Here's a link to the recipe I saw:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/french-onion-soup-recipe.html

Yes, that was the recipe. I followed it to a T and it was awful. I think the problem was the use of chicken stock. I don't think it belongs in French onion soup. I prefer to have a beef based stock. My crockpot French onion soup is much better. Kenji Lopez-Ault is a graduate of MIT and wrote a cookbook that really goes into the science of cooking, and usually he is right-on, but not this time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum