Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:What about putting the dish with the water in the oven first, let it heat up, then put the other dish in once the water is hot?

Clever idea!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Glad I thought of it. See, I've never done it, so I had "fresh eyes" on it. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't use a water bath very often. Usually just for creme brulee, cheesecakes, pate terrines but I have always had a heck of the time with the water. I can be so dumb. One recipe said to put the pan of water inside of an empty pan so just in case you spill some water you won't get scalded.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Sometimes we just can't see what is right in front of us. We had a light fixture that was swagged over our dining room table for years. It was one of those blasted things where the glass was held together with brass. I used to stand on a chair to clean the glass, always cursing "Why do the flies have to use this light as their toilet"? (We were on a farm, and yes, there were flies around!) One day my sister came in as I was cursing and she asked me what I was doing. So, I told her................. She said "Since that light is on a chain which is hanging from a hook in the ceiling, why don't you take it down and clean it while it's on your table????" DUH! What a dummy I was for several years.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a pork tenderloin; so I trimmed it, and made medallions.
Cooked it ( braised it ) in the electric skillet with carrots and peppers .\

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 Pork_m10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a good night for hot dogs.....potato salad & Bush's beans to go with.....

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_12_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be sausage and peppers tonight.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It will be sausage and apples/onions tonight.

(almost a duplicate, Jimmy!)

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had an appointment today and called to ask if I wanted to do something.....not sure what, just do SOMETHING......

So, we went to lunch at a little place in Leesburg (a 20 minute drive).  The soup of the day was a lentil soup that we both had.  I had a crispy chicken sandwich with 'come back' sauce and she had an open faced tuna sandwich with house made chips.  We practically licked our plates clean.....

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_13_11

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_13_12

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_13_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was surprised Dane enjoyed supper as much as he seemed to. He must have worked up an appetite working today. He even ate some of the apples & onions that I braised with the sausages ~ used some cider as a braising liquid. I have to say, I thought it was pretty tasty.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_13_14

Cookin Lore

I just had the last of  a lentil salad that I made on Wednesday.  I have to learn to cook for one person. I made enough for an army.  Luckyly my son and daughter-in-law are happy to take some, as well as my nephew who is now living in the house my sister lived in (he owns the house).  I had some oven baked cod to go with it.  I put some marinated veggies like mushrooms on the lentils.  Yummy.  Sending picture to Beth.

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_13_10

Admin and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just sausage and peppers and potatoes.
I am ready for a nice cup of coffee now!

Admin likes this post

Cookin Lore

Checked my fridge this morning, and realized that I have way too many bell peppers and don't feel like making stuffed peppers. And, I bought 3 portobellos yesterday, so, I made what has turned out to be THE BEST sauce I have ever made. Fried up a large sweet onion, then the chopped up 'shrooms, then two chopped up red peppers, added one large can of diced tomatoes, about a cup of vegetable broth. Simmered it for about an hour, then pureed it with my immersion blender. It will be the base for chicken cacciattore for tonight.

Added s/p, some herbes de province, oregano, thyme and a bit of garlic. YUMMY! I may never buy ready made pasta sauce again, I surely have the time to make it from scratch. LOL

PS. Ontario's covid cases are going up again, so we're being told to STAY HOME. So, it's home cooking, none of this going out! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane got his Cuban sandwich tonight he's been wanting since he drives past the restaurant every day and it's all he's thought of for the last two weeks.....

I had a nice bowl of gumbo.

We were both happy with our meals.

I'm hoping for sunny weather tomorrow. I've got one of my Costco prime rib eye steaks thawing in the refrigerator. I do so dislike grilling in the rain.....LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 Img_0713[/url]

I made Joe one of his 7 egg omelets that he shares with me. That means no dinner or breakfast the next day.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 Img_0713[/url]

I made Joe one of his 7 egg omelets that he shares with me. That means no dinner or breakfast the next day.

That's one BIG omelet! What's on the inside?

Cookin Lore

The picture of that omelet inspired me to make one for my late breakfast/early lunch right now. Three eggs, bacon, Swiss cheese and some dark rye bread. I had forgotten that the eggs were from a local farmer, so free range chickens and the yolks were so gorgeous, dark yellow/gold. What a difference also in flavour. Yumm!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had an English muffin for brunch, and a yogurt made from sheep's milk.
Supper will be Susans Meatballs, macaroni salad as a side. Veggie of some sort.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just pulled my steak out of the refrigerator to bring it to room temperature prior to grilling it over the hardwood charcoal ~ makes a huge difference in having it cook evenly.

I cut a first cutting of Swiss chard ~ it will get steamed in a skillet; first the cut stems and then the sliced leaves will get added.

We'll split a baked potato, as usual.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love when a plan comes together!

Grilled Rib Eye Steak:

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_15_11

Sliced & enough for two hungry people:

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_15_12

Supper ready to eat:

November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 11_15_13

Cookin Lore

It's just not fair that you show me that beautifully grilled steak! I am on the 12th floor with no balcony after 39 years on a farm with a firepit. LOL I think I can smell that bit of char on it. It looks wonderful. I have chicken caciatorre ready for me for tonight. Just have to boil some noodles. I like an egg noodle with it. YUMM!

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 Img_0713[/url]

That's one BIG omelet!  What's on the inside?

American cheese, colby-jack, applewood smoked bacon, diced ham, potatoes O'Brien.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had an English muffin for brunch, and a yogurt made from sheep's milk.
Supper will be 'Susans Meatballs', macaroni salad as a side. Veggie of some sort.
November, 2020 ~ What's cooking for your cool weather? - Page 4 Susans10

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Ny sister justt sent me this recipe that she got from a chef friend. She thinks it is one of the best soups she has ever tasted.

Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear Soup

4 pounds delicata squash
4 quarts vegetable stock
2 medium yellow onions
2 tablespoon butter
3 ripe pears, peeled and sliced
1 apple, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Chives, chopped
Pumpkin seeds
Creme fraiche (optional)

Preheat oven to 400
Wash and remove the seeds from the squash and chop into 2-inch chunks.
Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast on parchment paper lined baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until soft.

Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, melt the butter and saute the onions until
translucent. Season the onion mixture with salt and pepper. Add the pear
and apple slices and saute until soft (about 10 minutes). Add curry powder.

Over medium heat heat, mix the squash and stock into the onion mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes until squash is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Lightly toast pumpkin seeds with salt.

Puree the soup in a blender. Add more stock or water if necessary to reach
a thick creamy soup consistency.

Divide soup and top with creme fraiche, chopped chives and pumpkin seeds.

Serves 6 - 8

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for supper.    Spaghetti maybe? I asked if they had low sodium hot dogs in the stores. All I got was a shoulder shrug! No

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum